PDA

View Full Version : Parasailing at WDW - need advice

Tink77
05-01-2007, 10:51 AM
I'm knee deep into the planning of our '07 vacation but need some honest advice. We (DH to-be and I) will be vacationing at WDW in December. Was considering parasailing as it's free with our plan.
My concern is that it might be too chilly considering the time of year (We're both FL natives - please don't make fun!::p )
So, I was wondering if I could get some feedback on your personal parasailing experiences.
The likes of . . .
Did you get wet or did you take off/land on the boat? How long were you up?
Would you go again?

In advance, thanks for your time.

Chicago Wookiee
05-01-2007, 11:04 AM
On the premium plan you get the higher / longer flight included (so Shelby at Duval Water Sports tells me) so that answers one question. She also said that participants almost never get wet.... I like the "almost" part.

The December temps would not bother me (it was 65 here in Chicago yesterday and I'm in shorts) but I would imagine a reservation after 12pm would be better if not as late as 3pm or 4pm as they fly until 4:30pm.

Markfd
05-01-2007, 11:35 AM
Hi again Tink - I'm there in December as well and kind of had the same questions as you. Although we live in Oregon and it will be much warmer in Florida then it is here in December, we wanted to parasail as well. My only additional question is that I didn't know if it was only offered on the main lake near the Contemporary/GF resorts or if they also offer it near the Yacht/Beach club resorts.

Also - we are bringing shorty wet suits (spring suits - whatever you call them) with us for certain water activities in case we do get cold. I think that would help on the parasail end if you did end up getting wet for some reason.

Mark

Chicago Wookiee
05-01-2007, 01:14 PM
Parasailing is only available at Sammy Duvalls Water Sports Center at the Contemporary resort.

While fishing and small watercraft are available at many places in the World, only Duvalls has Parasailing, Water Skiing, Wakeboarding, and Tubing.

They also have a different number to call and will only work on a 90 day program (no 90+10) so I needed to make a few calls to ensure we got the times we wanted.

407-939-0754

Tink77
05-01-2007, 02:37 PM
On the premium plan you get the higher / longer flight included (so Shelby at Duval Water Sports tells me) so that answers one question. She also said that participants almost never get wet.... I like the "almost" part.

The December temps would not bother me (it was 65 here in Chicago yesterday and I'm in shorts) but I would imagine a reservation after 12pm would be better if not as late as 3pm or 4pm as they fly until 4:30pm.May I ask where I can find such information, Ex: higher/longer option for parasailing.
I've read a couple of books and visited TONS of websites but haven't seen that information anywhere. I did download the Platinum Plan brochure but I don't recall reading that info. (Could be mistaken though) Just think I might be looking in the wrong places and am concerned that I may be missing out on other "perks" that I'm unaware of.

*How apparent is it that even though DH and I enjoy "mini" trips, we're just embarking upon our Disney Vacation Careers? :D

Would appreciate your insight :)

Markfd
05-01-2007, 07:07 PM
I too have the platinum brochure and haven't seen anything about longer or higher and would also like to know...

Chicago Wookiee
05-01-2007, 07:14 PM
After speaking with seven different people on the phone over three months I came up with everything I needed to plan my platinum vacation.

If you call Duvalls directly you'll get the information you need about parasailing. For the most part all the CM's I spoke too either didn't have information or had the wrong information! Shelby was able to clear it all up as to what I could get on Platinum.

407-939-0754.

Koukla
05-01-2007, 09:53 PM
My grandma went parasailing 26 years ago when she was 68 years old (all 4'10" of her) and she loved it! She made the decision to do it after a few pina coladas, but the woman in line in front of her landed in the ocean, got the chute wet and they stopped for the day. My grandma was the first one in line the next morning and did it stone cold sober. And yes, she said she'd absolutely do it again. If you've got the opportunity, go for it!

Tink77
05-02-2007, 03:47 AM
Much respect as a planning Pro ChicagoWookie! ;)
For those of us who are less experienced, specifically myself & Markfd :) . . .
Is it better to call each different recreational service/facility directly? And what about ADR's, tours, shows, etc? I was planning on faxing my information to Concierge and requesting that they make all of the arrangements for us and would simply confirm them afterwards. Suppose that's a bad idea, yes?
I have more than enough time to call each independently so . . . would that be your advice? (After getting the specifics from Shelby)

After speaking with seven different people on the phone over three months I came up with everything I needed to plan my platinum vacation.

If you call Duvalls directly you'll get the information you need about parasailing. For the most part all the CM's I spoke too either didn't have information or had the wrong information! Shelby was able to clear it all up as to what I could get on Platinum.

407-939-0754.

Chicago Wookiee
05-02-2007, 05:10 AM
Thanks.

I knew someone would appreciate my efforts even if my family and friends think I'm a "little off" :geek: :p :geek:

With exception to the above mentioned things available at Duvalls, everything else you get for free on the premium or platinum plans can be done by the concierge or just one call to the Disney main reservation number. This includes tickets to Cirque du Soleil and golf.

Not having used the Disney concierge before I would still think it's no problem for them to call and schedule Duvalls for you also as it's one of very few 90 day planning events where almost everything else is 180.

Markfd
05-02-2007, 09:17 AM
Thanks for the info - Mark

splash
05-02-2007, 09:22 AM
How much is the parasailing if you don't have the platinum plan?

Chicago Wookiee
05-02-2007, 09:29 AM
Single Flight:
$95 for 10 minutes at 450 feet
$120 for 12 minutes at 600 feet

Tandem Flight:
$160 for 10 minutes at 450 feet
$185 for 12 minutes at 600 feet

Tink77
05-02-2007, 02:22 PM
You never cease to AMAZE me!! Have you created a Disney Bible? (This is the affectionate name DH's given to our vacation "catalog") :)

Think I'm just going to email you with questions. Lord knows, you know the answer!! Don't mean to go on, but it's impressive! Makes me chuckle too :) (Glad to know I'm not the only one who organizes in this fashion!! Supports my obsession planning to DH!! hahahaha)

Single Flight:
$95 for 10 minutes at 450 feet
$120 for 12 minutes at 600 feet

Tandem Flight:
$160 for 10 minutes at 450 feet
$185 for 12 minutes at 600 feet

Chicago Wookiee
05-03-2007, 05:03 AM
Thanks.

Most of my information comes from the five main sites I use on WDW. I pretty much copy everything I find even if I just write the site down on my planning report.

Now if I could just get a job as a Disney travel agent or such I would be happy.... and I'm currently looking to change jobs.