PDA

View Full Version : Errors and Omisions in the New "Guide to the Magic"

Pages : [1] 2

Techie7
06-15-2002, 10:05 AM
Self explanatory Title

First I would like to start with the omission of Corn Dog Castle, Maliburito, Strips Dips and Chips, Catch a Flave, Smoozies, Bountiful Valley Farmers Market, Sam Andreas Shakes, I think a few others as well.

Also if you look in Frontierland it is strange that the map would make it seem that the Columbia now boards on Tom Sawyer Island not next to the Mark Twain. There is a long list so I will let others chime in.

*Side note. It was interesting to watch people try and hold the "sails" or giant maps in the breeze. One family I saw had given up and was using the Junior Explorer Map for directions. The map has some nice features but needs some tweeking and graphic design fixes.

Matterhorn Fan
06-15-2002, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by Techie7
First I would like to start with the omission of Corn Dog Castle, Maliburito, Strips Dips and Chips, Catch a Flave, Smoozies, Bountiful Valley Farmers Market, Sam Andreas Shakes, I think a few others as well.You'd think they'd leave off the Lucky Fortune Cookery, since it's never open, but Corn Dog Castle?

cemeinke
06-15-2002, 10:10 AM
Cosmic Waves is no longer listed as an attraction

Techie7
06-15-2002, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by Matterhorn Fan
You'd think they'd leave off the Lucky Fortune Cookery, since it's never open, but Corn Dog Castle?

One would think that but in addition to the Lucky Fortune Cookery, Hollywood and Dine is listed as well.

Matterhorn Fan
06-15-2002, 10:14 AM
OK, so Cosmic Waves is no longer an attraction. :crying: Did they draw in those horrid trees that they've put around it?

cemeinke
06-15-2002, 10:20 AM
OK, so Cosmic Waves is no longer an attraction. :crying: Did they draw in those horrid trees that they've put around it?

No trees, but no tremendous jets of water either.

By the way, Small World is gold and white - could this be the next color scheme when it comes off of rehab?

Matterhorn Fan
06-15-2002, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by Techie7
The map has some nice features but needs some tweeking and graphic design fixes. Alright, I've been looking at the now "old" map, and I think you could say the same thing. I've never really looked at this one closely, since I didn't really need it to find my way around, but . . . The stores and restaurants were listed under each land on the side, but not labeled on the map. The map itself makes the walkways look more spacious than they really are. Get one out and take a look at the space between the Pinocchio restaurant and Casey Jr., for example. Behold the spaciousness of Adventureland!

Techie7
06-15-2002, 11:02 AM
Alright, I've been looking at the now "old" map, and I think you could say the same thing. I've never really looked at this one closely, since I didn't really need it to find my way around, but . . . The stores and restaurants were listed under each land on the side, but not labeled on the map. The map itself makes the walkways look more spacious than they really are. Get one out and take a look at the space between the Pinocchio restaurant and Casey Jr., for example. Behold the spaciousness of Adventureland!

Yes there were problems with the old maps as well. The map has been corrected for the most part to reflect Disneyland more correctly. Exceptions include Indiana Jones and the Big Thunder Trail (a few others). Disneyland did not have the restaurants labeled on the map but DCA did. This would be nice to see return as people might know where to look. The graphic design aspects I was talking about involve primarily the layout of the scheduling. I think NA was going to post her thoughts on that at some point.

Did anyone else notice that the scale is different for Disneyland and DCA?

blusilva
06-15-2002, 01:12 PM
The current maps are good through June 27th, right? What I don't understand is why they are listing "Superstar Limo" as an attraction and why they aren't noting long-term (at least through the term of the map) refurbs like King Arthur's Carrousel, IaSW and Bountiful Farm. To me it seems a bit misleading to even list Superstar Limo or Bountiful Farm. They have no intention of opening those "attractions" this summer, do they?

And why is the Mondavi name still attached to the winery? I thought they'd pulled out completely.

MonorailMan
06-15-2002, 05:41 PM
Also, It looks as if the screamin' loop is on the outside. :

Mouse
06-15-2002, 06:30 PM
What about the scale of the maps? I seems to me that DL and DCA are pictured just about the same size when they are quite different sizes. Not really an error or omission, but worth mentioning.

cemeinke
06-15-2002, 06:31 PM
I'm curious about the new shop in New Orleans Square, Le Bat en Rouge; featuring, "the Bayou's best selection of culinary items along with Nightmare Before Christmas & Villians keepsakes"

Not Afraid
06-15-2002, 07:00 PM
After spending about an hour sitting in the bliss of the GC and looking at the new Guide, I feel like I have explored it's positives and negatives quite thoroughly.

The points that have been made so far are quite valid. IMHO, the new guide has its good points but there still needs to be some improvement before it becomes user friendly to everyone.

I don’t use the “map” part pf the guide much. I know my way around the park pretty thoroughly. What I do use frequently is the schedule (hours and entertainment). I look at these two pages for guidance as to where I should be at what time to see the entertainment I desire and to discover what I happen to be watching.

First of all, there are so many variables in the schedule and too many dates to cover. If I happen to be at the Club Buzz Stage and there is something going on I have to look at 4 different entertainment listings (not listed together), look for the proper date (6 different options), and find the time to discover what I am seeing. The choices are Calling All Space Scouts…., Voyager, Barrage, or Radio Rage. To those unfamiliar as to what these entertainment options actually are, this can be pretty confusing. In addition, there are no descriptions for any of the events with the exception of “Believe…..” which is described as a fireworks spectacular.

In addition, the layout is very difficult to read. If I were a tourist, I would definitely need a good chunk of time and a highlighter to determine: what was available for me on the day of my visit, what I wanted to see and, locations of entertainment. There must be a clearer way to communicate this. It is even hard to DESCRIBE how it is laid out!

The “biggies” are listed on top, some with graphic indicators.
#1 Believe (w/HP logo)
#2 Parade of the Stars (no logo)
#3 Fantasmic (nice color logo)
#4 Mickey’s Detective School (event logo)
Everything else follows in a confusing blur. One thing that would really help is to have the Land where the venue is located listed next to it for ease in locating.

I’ve barely covered what I feel are the issues of these 2 pages (DCA’s page has similar problems). Looking at solutions, a grid layout might make it easier for both the planner and the discoverer. The addition of color-coding would be nice, description of entertainment would certainly help the visitor, and venue location would be a big help.

They are experiencing one of classic and most difficult challenges in communication, how to make lots and lots of information easily accessible and readable in a small space. It will be interesting to see how and when they improve upon the information they present and the layout of that information.

Now about that cover……………(later);)

Uncle Dick
06-15-2002, 08:17 PM
I mentioned this in another thread, but I'll note it here, too. The new guide maps still display the route that the Jitneys used to travel. The Jitneys have not operated for the past 9 months, nor are they going to return anytime soon.

mousey_girl
06-15-2002, 08:43 PM
UD, What is a Jitney?

Darkbeer
06-15-2002, 09:47 PM
Uncle Dick is referring to the transportation service that is listed as "The Double Decker Bus Route" (between the Hotels and the Mickey and Firends Parking Structure) that is shown on the map that reflects the parking lots and streets surrounding the resort.

As for Jitney....

http://www.dictionary.com/search?q=Jitney

And since the service was discontinued (The busses have become security barricades), why was it placed on the new map????

So,

Ace
06-15-2002, 09:52 PM
I'm guessing they didn't think that the average guest would dissect it with a high-powered microscope.

Rallymonkey23
06-15-2002, 09:55 PM
I was wondering the same thing.... :confused: :confused:

Not Afraid
06-15-2002, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by Squinky
I'm guessing they didn't think that the average guest would dissect it with a high-powered microscope.

No, but I would hope that they would expect the average guest to be able to use it successfully.

Uncle Dick
06-15-2002, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by Not Afraid

No, but I would hope that they would expect the average guest to be able to use it successfully.
Exactly. Yesterday, I saw a foreign guest walking around the Pinocchio parking lot, looking rather lost. After a while, he came up to me and pointed to the Jitney route indicated on the new guidemaps, asking when it would be arriving. He's not the only one who's asked. You'd figure they would update the transportation map when the new guidemaps came out. They didn't. :(

Uncle Dick
06-15-2002, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by mousey_girl
UD, What is a Jitney?
Darkbeer's explanation is good, but here's a pic from an old DIG update which is even better.

http://www.mouseplanet.com/archive/up012901f.jpg

blusilva
06-16-2002, 12:28 AM
I'm sure I missed an update or a post on this topic somehow, but why were the Jitneys sidelined? It looks like they cost a pretty penny. Sort of seems a waste to use them as blockades.

Darkbeer
06-16-2002, 01:35 AM
The route the jitneys took went right down the back of Downtown Disney, and very close to both Hotels (a road that was basically designed just for the jitneys, and emergency vehicles).... Disney was afraid of a guest bringing aboard a bomb, and having it blow up near many people....

AVP
06-16-2002, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by cemeinke
I'm curious about the new shop in New Orleans Square, Le Bat en Rouge; featuring, "the Bayou's best selection of culinary items along with Nightmare Before Christmas & Villians keepsakes"

That is the old Le Gourmet Shop - the store makeover is supposed to happen next week.

AVP

marron-cream
06-16-2002, 07:05 PM
They left off the Villain's Lair. Okay, so it's not villainous anymore and it's full of generic toys, but it still deserves a mention. Also not on the map is Stromboli's... and it's not like that huge cart is easy to miss.