PDA

View Full Version : The truth about the weekend before Thanksgiving week.

wenidog
03-03-2007, 10:36 AM
I know I've seen this question in various forms before on this message board, but I need clarification on what "Thanksgiving weekend" actually encompasses. This year Thanksgiving holiday is Thursday Nov. 22nd. I know that the Thanksgiving weekend is one of the busiest times of the year. But, how busy is the weekend and Mon.-Wed. immediately prior to Thanksgiving? In this case November 17-21?

itig
03-03-2007, 01:21 PM
I'm pretty sure that entire week is very busy...DarkBeer, or anyone else want to confirm?

Darkbeer
03-03-2007, 01:28 PM
More and more schools are getting the full week off, so lately it has been very busy. Disney has noticed this and pretty much has extended hours for the entire week due to the large crowds. It might be a bit lighter Monday thru Wednesday, but it will still be busy.

ER Nurse
03-03-2007, 03:30 PM
Hi
If it helps we went the 13-16th of November last year and the park was very empty. Our longest wait was 10 minutes for IASW. It was perfect with a toddler.

I heart Disney
03-03-2007, 04:47 PM
We are thinking of going to DLR the week after Thanksgiving. Anyone know what crowds are like that week?

samsma
03-03-2007, 05:34 PM
We went in 2005 right after Thanksgiving(the Monday following) and it was VERY QUIET for those two weeks! We never used a single fast pass, and never had to wait over 10 min. Next holiday we will go back during the same time!

Wendi
03-03-2007, 08:54 PM
I was there the week of Thanksgiving this past year. Monday through Thursday to be exact. It wasn't at all as busy as I'd expected, I had prepared myself for big crowds (which I don't really enjoy, but was willing to take the risk!) Monday and Tuesday were pretty quiet, but it picked up quite a bit Wednesday. We didn't even enter the parks at all on Thursday, but they did have the signs up that it was a busy day and Disneyland was either closed to new admissions or expected to close (can't remember for sure). We just hung around the DLH and DTD that day because my son wasn't feeling well and I decided to let him nap in the stroller while I strolled around leisurely instead of trying to deal with the parks.

The parks were open late each day and we got to experience all of the great holiday decorations, parade, fireworks, visiting Santa at Woody's Reindeer Roundup, etc... it was well worth it.

Leofoenget
03-04-2007, 11:26 PM
I know I've seen this question in various forms before on this message board, but I need clarification on what "Thanksgiving weekend" actually encompasses. This year Thanksgiving holiday is Thursday Nov. 22nd. I know that the Thanksgiving weekend is one of the busiest times of the year. But, how busy is the weekend and Mon.-Wed. immediately prior to Thanksgiving? In this case November 17-21?

I was there Sunday afternoon, and all day Monday and it was busy but not at all terrible.

Faith Trust & Pixie Dust
03-05-2007, 10:43 AM
We went in 2005 right after Thanksgiving(the Monday following) and it was VERY QUIET for those two weeks! We never used a single fast pass, and never had to wait over 10 min. Next holiday we will go back during the same time!

I'm glad to hear that, because we are going the Monday-Wednesday after Thanksgiving this year. When I looked at the schedule for that time period last year, the park was open from 10-8 but still had fireworks/snow on weekdays. I'm hoping the same will be true this year.

pisces
03-05-2007, 08:05 PM
But, how busy is the weekend and Mon.-Wed. immediately prior to Thanksgiving? In this case November 17-21?

Uh oh.

If I recall, in 2005 the park had to shut down for capacity during the weekend prior to Thanksgiving.

I think Veteran's Day is in there somewhere and many use that as the start of their Thanksgiving vacation.

Plus, that's the week when Disney trots out their Christmas Parades for the very first time. Supposedly the tree comes out then too, although I think it's out way before then, usually.

In 2006, I'm thinking that (Veteran's Weekend) was when the Park was so crowded they scheduled a 3rd Fantasmic.....which didn't even happen this past New Years week!

I really think any time from Veteran's Day to the Sunday after Thanksgiving, is crazy crowded and shut-down time.

But, I bet from the Monday after Thanksgiving on thru till mid-December should be smooth sailing.

...with the exception of Candlelight, but we aren't discussing that.

--Not gonna even open up that can of worms!

disneychick
03-06-2007, 01:28 PM
We were there last year, Nov 11-18. That was Veteran's Day weekend, and as we arrived on the Saturday and saw how crowded it was, we pretty much stayed in DCA for Sat, and hit DL Sunday afternoon/evening. It wasn't too bad, actually - we seemed to have missed the worst of the crowds that way. The 13th-15th was a little more crowded for weekdays than we expected due to those freebie passes expiring on the 15th, but again - we never waited more than 15 minutes for anything. From Wednesday onward, it was really quiet, and picked up again on the Friday as the Christmas parade was just starting.

We're planning to go again this Nov/Dec, and I've been wondering the same thing as you. We do want to skip Veteran's Day weekend, and so have been thinking about Nov 12-19th, maybe. I figure we know what to expect for most of the week as far as crowds (and maybe there won't be the freebie passes to contend with this year! ;) ), but that final weekend - the last before Thanksgiving - I'm not sure what to expect. My thoughts were that it shouldn't be TOO bad....I'm guessing that the TG crowds will pick up as the week wears on?

mancub's mommy
03-07-2007, 10:06 AM
We are planning to go around Thanksgiving but want to see fireworks/fantasmic/snow. If we went Sunday of Thanksgiving weekend to Thursday after Thanksgiving will we be able to see fireworks/fantasmic/snow? Or should we move our trip by a few days in order to see the above shows?

Please help a fellow disney addict......

samsma
03-07-2007, 10:58 AM
We went in 2005 Nov28-Dec 10. We started out on a Wednesday just after Thanksgiving. We still had Fantasmic, and fireworks with snow. It was also DEAD in the park.

kc10family
04-30-2007, 08:13 PM
Crazy busy?
If not what day does it start to get crazy busy?
Never done this time frame and wondering how it would be.

pisces
04-30-2007, 08:34 PM
Veteran's Day.

In the past, 2005? they've had to shut the Park. It's usually the official start of the special Christmas parades, although the decorations go up before that.

The weather has been weird too. Haven't there been times when, during the snow, the temperature was 80 degrees ??? Yet, you could also have high winds.

No telling.

MiaTurner
04-30-2007, 08:45 PM
I suppose that depends on your situation...

I was there on Veteran's Day last year and didn't have much of a problem, but I hand out at DL by myself so I eat, ride, play on my own schedule and get the single rider lines.

If you're carting a big family around on the other hand, yea, I would consider it a very busy day. (Just looking at New Orleans Square on Veteran's Day makes my head spin; LOTS OF PEOPLE.)

kc10family
04-30-2007, 09:11 PM
Thank you, but I was talking about the weekend after Veterans day and the weekend before Thanksgiving (this year it would be the 18th).

See I have heard the Veterans day is wild and crazy as well as the few days before Thanksgiving, but nothing about the weekend before Thanksgiving.

MiaTurner
04-30-2007, 09:50 PM
Thank you, but I was talking about the weekend after Veterans day and the weekend before Thanksgiving (this year it would be the 18th).

See I have heard the Veterans day is wild and crazy as well as the few days before Thanksgiving, but nothing about the weekend before Thanksgiving.

Woops, sorry, got my dates mixed up :)

It's my personal experience that that weekend is busy as well. Maybe not enough to stop letting people into the park, but still pretty bad. Just from what I've been around to see anyway.

ssturgeo
05-01-2007, 05:17 AM
We usually go the Sunday through Thursday before this weekend. Was there once on that Friday night (we flew out Saturday morning) and it was NUTS that Friday night!! After the Christmas Parade they opened up the backstage exit down Main Street. BUT that week is a GREAT time to go...low crowds, all the Christmas stuff up, and last November the weather was so great that I did not even ever wear one of the long sleeve sweatshirts I had packed!!

avalosn
05-01-2007, 06:33 AM
Me and my family stayed at the hotel last year Nov. 16-19, 2006 and it wasn't too bad. There was an association conference going on at the resort and it was still fine. But I go there a lot, so I just might be used to the crowds already. Nevertheless, I didn't think it was so bad.

Plus it's always better when you stay at the hotel because you can go to the park more at your leisure and leave when the crowds get too crazy and just chill at the hotel.

Good luck!!!!

eyeorelover
05-01-2007, 08:56 AM
My family has been down there the weekend you are asking about the last 2 years. In 2005 we were there Sat-Wed, and in 2006 just Sat & Sun (our passes expired and we didn't renew). We didn't find the crowds to be too large on either trip. yes, it got busy and it was hard to find good spots to watch parades and the fireworks (in 2005, they kept cancelling them until our last night) but other than that we thought things were great. We used our fastpasses wisely and having 2 children (now 5 & 8) we went early, left in the middle of the day for a couple hours and went back until closing and things were great. We have friends that have stayed the full week through Thanksgiving into the next weekend and said it got crazy busy then, but unless Nemo attracts tons more people, I think you'll be fine! Have a great trip!

carnation dave
05-01-2007, 11:33 AM
We've gone the last two years and are making it a tradition in my family. Monday and Tuesday are relatively slow. We are able to see and do what we want without much trouble or long lines. We see the fireworks, fantasmic and Billy Hill ( Family favorite). On Wed. we pick and choose what to do and have a great time. By Thursday the parks are more crowded and we use the fast pass more but still it's great with the decorations, music, fireworks, parades and etc.

kc10family
05-01-2007, 11:40 AM
Thankyou, I hope we pick the right time for us, if not we will know for the next time. ;)