PDA

View Full Version : Midway Mania motion sickness - a theory

olegc
04-30-2007, 11:46 AM
I have been hearing on several podcasts and message boards that Midway Mania's testing of a mockup is slowing the construction schedule - mainly because of testers getting motion during activity.

I don't know about everyone else - but I know that I get motion sick in the simulator rides (body wars, star tours, etc.) and I have heard that people get motion sick playing certain computer games or get headaches watching three-D movies. Well, it's a lot of physiology and science - but I think it has to do with how the brain processes what it sees while moving - not simply in front of it (like in a 3D movie). it's not the same as looking at the 3D environment around us because you can tell what is real and not - so in your mind it causes some confusion for the senses.

I know this thread might get moved. So be it - but I wanted to post that thought. I doubt they will get this corrected since it has to do with how humans interact with so much imagery and motion around it (well, maybe fighter pilots will be OK).

bloodnswash
04-30-2007, 02:57 PM
Yip, I get sick if I watch the Star Tours ride. I have to sit with my eyes closed. Many computer games do the same thing to me (headaches, feeling nauseaus, etc). I even sent Disney an email telling them that I wear prescription glasses and my eyes can't adjust to 3D in such a short time period. I went to the El Capitan to watch Nightmare Before Xmas in 3D and it took 45 minutes for my eyes to adjust to the 3D. I have thought from the get go that this ride would be a flop for me. I will not even bother to put the 3D glasses on. I'll just do the ride for the rest of my family.

limace
04-30-2007, 03:54 PM
I get horribly car sick (seasick and airsick less so, but sometimes)-sometimes carsick even when I'm driving. Star Tours and those rides don't bother me at all. The Teacups kill me. I wonder what the difference is?

TinaMouse
04-30-2007, 03:57 PM
Me too. Last time I rode teacups was 1985. Just can't do it. Have no problem with Star Tours, etc. I do have to close my eyes for the LA interstate scene in Soarin' for some reason.