PDA

View Full Version : Food & Wine Weekend Food

cactusgirl
04-29-2007, 07:03 PM
We just flew in from a 5 day trip out to DL. We timed the trip so we could partake in some of the FWW events.

My take on the food this year--
Cheddar Soup in a Sourdough Roll. It seems to me they dropped the price from last year (now 3.75). It was yummy. Buy two if you want a meal .
The cheese plate (5.00) Nice assortmet of 3 chesses--plus some grapes. Nice.
Lobster and Shrimp quesadilla (5.00) Spicy (hot) and VERY tasty. It was too hot for my dd (7) who loves all things seafood. Portion size--2 pieces which total 1/4 of a tortilla.
Seasonal Berries in a cream sauce (5.00) I could eat the sauce all day long
Zinfadel--The server poured one measure, looked at it and then did it a second time. It still totaled only about 1/2 inch of the small plastic cup. Not worth the price (3.00) IMHO.

The Israeli coucous with (lamb I think?) was incredible and worth the price.

The cooking classes (free ones) were great. We arrived 5 min before the 11:00 dessert one but the class was already filled. They do have a Junior Chef (cookie baking) class over at CA for Sat & Sun. My dd was excited because we could do TWO in one day--at DL and CA. For parents, the CA version allowed much better angles for taking picts.

Maybe next year we can do one of the real classes (paid ones) or do a dinner. For now, I was happy with the yummies.

SoCalSteven
04-29-2007, 08:57 PM
Was there today. Had the quesadilla, cheese, berries, hefewizen and the cabernet. The food was all great, but the beer was a small glass. Would have rather paid for a full glass at the beer truck. The cabernet was pretty generous (over half of the small glass) but only so good.

Went to one beer tasting and one wine tasting. The beer tasting was interesting, but only worth doing once. (they are the same every time) We are going to go back and try to do more wine tastings. We went to the MacMurry Ranch tasing and the wines were very good!

Drince88
04-30-2007, 06:51 AM
My sister and I tried everything. On Friday the pork and couscous (as someone pointed out, pork and Israli couscous is an interesting combination!) was FANTASTIC. By far, the best thing we had. We had some more on Saturday, and it was disappointing. So much so, that we asked for a manager and told him how much worse it was.

I think our second favorite item was the artichoke (aside from the desserts!)

The two desserts are both really good - but totally different from each other. The berries are nice, light, and refreshing, and the chocolate is CHOCOLATE.

Interesting, we were more disappointed in the pours of the wine that we had then the beer pours!

We did the beer seminar, one cooking (asparagus) and one wine (Silverado) plus the reception (extra cost). I'll do another thread about the reception.

Gone2Disneyland
04-30-2007, 07:29 AM
Thanks for sharing your experiences at the F&WW, everyone. I haven't been yet, and your comments are very interesting. I was looking forward more for the quesadillas and halibut, but now methinks I must try the pork and couscous and that fruit thing (which at first glance I thought, "Are you kidding - a simple bowl of fruit!?" LOL).

Drince88
04-30-2007, 07:33 AM
The quesidillas were really good too - and the halibut was beer battered halibut with a nice sauce, so if that's your thing, go for it. Because they don't make them 'to order' how long the fish has been out of the fryer may affect quality.

Also, there was a HUGE problem with the 'wind' at the windows. I don't know if it was because they have the AC cranked up in there because of the cooking, or what, but it was so strong that it was moved plates around, so that you had to hold down the plates on the tray, even with food on them!

cstephens
04-30-2007, 08:04 AM
The quesadilla was terrific, as was the cheddar soup. The soup seemed like a bigger serving this year. Same roll-sized bread boules, but more of the bread seemed to have been scooped out, so there was more room for soup. I really hope they add both items to a menu somewhere.

The beef and chicken skewers were ok, but I think I liked it better last year. The artichoke was quite tasty. I didn't think the fish was as good as last year either. And as I expected, the couscous didn't do anything for me. The husband finished most of it by himself. I had the two big pieces of lettuce at the bottom.

I found the cheese plate to be disappointing. Didn't care for two of the cheeses they had, and I didn't care for the drizzle of honey.

The two desserts were quite tasty.

I was disappointed that there wasn't any wine that I was interested in this year.

evrythngwmn
04-30-2007, 08:59 AM
Also, there was a HUGE problem with the 'wind' at the windows. I don't know if it was because they have the AC cranked up in there because of the cooking, or what, but it was so strong that it was moved plates around, so that you had to hold down the plates on the tray, even with food on them!

Yeah the AC in that location is horrible. It blows like there's a hurricane inside.

SoCalSteven
04-30-2007, 09:51 AM
We did the beer seminar, one cooking (asparagus) and one wine (Silverado) plus the reception (extra cost). I'll do another thread about the reception.

How was the Silverado tasting? Wanted to get a glass of Silverado Cab by the glass after the tasting we went to, but at $19 a glass I passed.

yenko427
04-30-2007, 10:03 AM
Different question, same topic......
What are the crowds like surrounding this event? We are going to be there but not for the festival. Just want to prepared.

SoCalSteven
04-30-2007, 10:05 AM
Different question, same topic......
What are the crowds like surrounding this event? We are going to be there but not for the festival. Just want to prepared.

Sunday was fairly busy. After spending the majority of the day in DCA, we went to DL and lots of the big rides were pushing 1 hour waits, so we dropped by Jewel of Orleans and then hit the road.

Drince88
05-01-2007, 06:50 AM
I found the cheese plate to be disappointing. Didn't care for two of the cheeses they had, and I didn't care for the drizzle of honey.

I actually kind of liked the drizzle of honey on that one - but the cheeses in particular were kind of 'take or leave' to me.

How was the Silverado tasting? Wanted to get a glass of Silverado Cab by the glass after the tasting we went to, but at $19 a glass I passed.
Didn't particularly care for them, but I think my palate has regressed from lack of use lately. They were too acid-y for my tastes.

annabelsgmom
05-02-2007, 07:43 AM
Hi Everyone, If you liked the Wine Tasting you will love the Tequila tasting this Saturday May 5th at 4pm @ California Adv. this is a non advertised event and limited to the first 80 people, free. Information was givin to us from the wine tasting event Last Sunday.

Have fun:D

cstephens
05-02-2007, 12:04 PM
Hi Everyone, If you liked the Wine Tasting you will love the Tequila tasting this Saturday May 5th at 4pm @ California Adv. this is a non advertised event and limited to the first 80 people, free. Information was givin to us from the wine tasting event Last Sunday.

Have fun:D

My understanding is that it's both Saturday and Sunday and sponsored by Sauza.

annabelsgmom
05-03-2007, 08:43 AM
the CM only told us about Saturday for the tequila tasting @4pm

Christyvoltron
05-03-2007, 10:14 AM
Has anyone been to any of the dinners or the cooking school? How are those? I see there is still space available for everything but the cooking school.

avalosn
05-03-2007, 11:39 AM
Ahhhh, I wish I could do the tequila tasting....but I'm 5 months pregnant....only four more months left.....;)