PDA

View Full Version : What's Happening Above Disneyland? [merged]

Pages : [1] 2

yohomama212
04-26-2007, 10:55 PM
Okay, so I just got finished watching a local news station's "exclusive" report on "special treatment" both Disneyland and Disney World are recieving and I am outraged! At first I couldn't believe they were seriously doing this story and then I found it amusing that they took up nearly ten minutes of "news" time with the story!

They are reporting on Disneyland's no fly zone, a 3 mile radius and 3000 mile high area that bans planes from flying over the resort. This went into effect over four years ago, right after the start of the Iraq War. Disney got the ban placed for special security reasons and it has never been lifted. No other theme park in the area has this type of security in place. Neither does LAX or even the San Onofre Nuclear Site. Only The White House and the Captiol Buliding are protected by no fly zones of this magnatude.

Rep. Loretta Sanchez said, "This just shows the power of the Mouse Ears."

So... what do you all think? Has Disney gone too far in "protecting" the resorts and their guests or is NBC just looking for someone to pick on?

Liz :cool:

yellowrosedtxn
04-27-2007, 04:19 AM
We can argue both for and against it here. I'm not sure what good it would do, but if you think about it, it kind of makes sense that they have that due to fireworks at night and the amount of people that pass through those gates on a daily basis. BUT my overal opinion is that NBC is just trying to find someone to pick on. If not one thing, then another.

Just my opinion of course.

GusMan
04-27-2007, 04:26 AM
BUT my overal opinion is that NBC is just trying to find someone to pick on. If not one thing, then another.
Agreed... leave it to the press to blow something out of proportion.

cstephens
04-27-2007, 10:03 AM
They are reporting on Disneyland's no fly zone, a 3 mile radius and 3000 mile high area that bans planes from flying over the resort. This went into effect over four years ago, right after the start of the Iraq War. Disney got the ban placed for special security reasons and it has never been lifted. No other theme park in the area has this type of security in place.

Which makes perfect sense. It's an acknowledgement that Disney has a much higher attendance than any other nearby theme park so more people would be hurt, and the iconic value of destroying a Disney property is going to be much higher than destroying something like a Cedar Fair Park, Knott's, Six Flags or Sea World.

Neither does LAX or even the San Onofre Nuclear Site.

OK, I can't speak to San Onofre, but I would think that making LAX a "no fly" zone would pretty much just shut it down completely...

adriennek
04-27-2007, 10:15 AM
Rep. Loretta Sanchez said, "This just shows the power of the Mouse Ears."

I thought it was pretty ballsy ovariesy for her to make a comment about Disney like that.

Her district is pretty close to DLR - So if it's not in her district, I would bet that her district benefits from it in one way or another - either it employs people who live there or it brings tax dollars to it (She's in Santa Ana - Main Place Santa Ana and that area definitely gets tourist dollars because I've seen people here talking about shopping their when they vacation in Anaheim and I happen to know first hand that DLR visiters dine there...)

If it is in her district, smooth move, lady.

Adrienne, not a Sanchez fan anyway.

Klutch
04-27-2007, 10:21 AM
Well, it seems the media are again foaming at the mouth over another "Non Story". And, as usual, ignorant politicians are always willing to capitalize on media attention of any kind.

Disney parks are an obvious target for terrorists and pranksters. Disney probably made the effort to lobby lawmakers for this ban and other parks didn't. Woopee.

By the way, a nuclear power plant isn't really a good target for an airplane attack. Contrary to what the media would like you to believe, crashing an airplane into a nuclear power plant would not result in a nuclear explosion or a significant release of nuclear fallout. It would just make a big mess, kill or injure some power plant workers, and force the utility companies to compensate for the loss of power. In this regard, it's not much different from a conventional power plant.

Why is it a bunch of ignorant journalism majors feel it necessary to draw conclusions on things they know NOTHING about?

Alex S.
04-27-2007, 10:22 AM
Here's (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=44580&highlight=3000) discussion of this restriction in 2005 where the various myths and whatnot are talked about.

adriennek
04-27-2007, 10:26 AM
Why is it a bunch of ignorant journalism majors feel it necessary to draw conclusions on things they know NOTHING about?

The "reporter" (note the quotes,) that "covered" the story was Chuck Henry.

Nuff Said.

Adrienne

The Lovely Mrs. tod
04-27-2007, 10:31 AM
I have two words for everyone.

May Sweeps.

It's only gonna get worse.

Andrew
04-27-2007, 10:31 AM
Adrienne, not a Sanchez fan anyway.
Better than Bob Dornan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Dornan#Defeat).

shna
04-27-2007, 10:32 AM

I'm pretty sure even my least intelligent cat would be better than Dornan. Maybe even my stapler or tape dispenser would be better.

As for Sanchez, without the context in which she made her statement, how do we know if she was criticizing Disney or just saying that they're an important part of the Orange County business community? I didn't hear the statement when it was made, so I honestly don't know how she meant it.

Klutch
04-27-2007, 11:07 AM

I disagree. Bob Dornan was a blowhard, but overall, I think he was a very good Congressman. He was no worse than Ted Kennedy, only on the other side of the political spectrum.

Andrew
04-27-2007, 11:16 AM
I disagree. Bob Dornan was a blowhard, but overall, I think he was a very good Congressman. He was no worse than Ted Kennedy, only on the other side of the political spectrum.
You don't think he blew all that when he accused Sanchez of winning by gathering illegal alien votes and possibly being undocumented herself? According to his Wikipedia page he was a good Congressman, sure. I just think he screwed up as much as Trent Lott or Duke Cunningham did.

Sorry for going offtopic. I think it's funny that after so many years of inaccurate urban legends about "no-fly" zones around Disneyland, now there actually is one. Or is there? It sounds like the people reporting the story aren't exactly clear on the concept themselves.

Promo-Man
04-27-2007, 11:29 AM
Could this be some sort of conspiracy thing?

Look we just had a city counsel vote on land use.
Now if Disney can be painted as a big bad corporation getting special favors from the government, what do you think the powers who want to take property that will provide lots of revenue and funds for Anaheim’s general fund and put housing on it use this?

Klutch
04-27-2007, 11:42 AM
Promo-Man brings up a very good point.

As for Dornan, I wasn't aware he accused Sanchez herself of being an illegal alien. That is pretty slimey.

yohomama212
04-27-2007, 11:43 AM
So, yeah, DLR isn't actually in Sanchez's district, though the "report" made it sound like that, but the whole area sure as heck does benefit from it! I used to work at MainPlace Santa Ana, we got tons of DLR tourists there all the time! The quote was in as much context as I could give it to you... that's how it was presented in the "report".

They finally posted the video... http://video.nbc4.tv/player/?id=96039

Liz :cool:

adriennek
04-27-2007, 11:45 AM
You don't think he blew all that when he accused Sanchez of winning by gathering illegal alien votes and possibly being undocumented herself? According to his Wikipedia page he was a good Congressman, sure. I just think he screwed up as much as Trent Lott or Duke Cunningham did.

Keep in mind, my mother is politically very conservative. I don't remember the particulars because I was young and didn't pay attention closely back then but I remember her ranting and raving about some stupid thing that Dornan did going off on someone who was Catholic (he was, too, I believe and he thought he knew what he was talking about but he didn't - I think he threatened to have someone excommunicated...) Yeah, ok, dude, whatever.

My point is - yeah, can't tell you he was a good Congressman or not but even I will say he was a doofus. (And I still think Sanchez is one - maybe it's that district that attracts people like that? Yeah, I know, I rarely get political here but there it is.)

Adrienne

shna
04-27-2007, 11:51 AM

If he were "just" an extreme conservative, I wouldn't like him much - but I'd respect him. From what I've seen though, he's an extreme conservative who comes across as not being a very nice person -- plus he gets petulant, bitter, and vindictive if he doesn't get his way.

Yes -- many of us have occasional petulant/bitter/vindictive episodes, but most of us don't do it on the public payroll -- and most of us don't use the media to make our attacks on others.

Although I am extemely liberal on most social issues, I do have friends whose opinions are diametrically opposed to mine. They are still nice people, and I respect both them and their opinions. I don't tend to respect people I see as "mean," thus I don't respect Dornan.

Klutch
04-27-2007, 12:04 PM
Maybe I'm just not as familiar with Dornan as I should be. My opinion is based mostly on his voting record. If he was obnoxious and mean in his later years, I can't support that.

Back to the airspace issue, there are actually a lot of areas where aircraft are prohibited or limited. Simply stating a few places where they aren't prohibited is ridiculous. I'm not an FAA expert, but I used to work with charts every day. These charts had air corridors and air restrictions clearly marked and, believe me, they were all over the place.

Also, when I worked on an aircraft carrier, the pilots were often getting into trouble for flying where they weren't supposed to fly. I worked in the area where we would give the pilots their pre-mission briefings. There were so many areas where they weren't supposed to fly, it was easy for them to violate some kind of restriction. Just being too low was often the problem.

I've heard civilian airline pilots sometimes have the same problems. I'm also aware private aircraft are quite often violating airspace regulations. "Hey, look. There's some fighter jets on the runway over there! Let's fly over and take a closer look."

Fun story: A pilot told me it was once considered cool to fly through the St. Louis Arch. (Woopee!) It was definately prohibited, but hard to get caught. The FAA got tired of it and actually put a camera on the arch. After a few pilots got caught on camera, word got out it wasn't so cool anymore.

cstephens
04-27-2007, 02:51 PM
The "reporter" (note the quotes,) that "covered" the story was Chuck Henry.

Nuff Said.

Adrienne

Kevin and Bean make fun of him often on their radio show, especially since he went where he wasn't supposed to or didn't leave when he was supposed to during the big fires a while ago, causing his entire equipment truck to burn, and he had to be rescued by firemen. Good times.

adriennek
04-27-2007, 03:06 PM
Kevin and Bean make fun of him often on their radio show, especially since he went where he wasn't supposed to or didn't leave when he was supposed to during the big fires a while ago, causing his entire equipment truck to burn, and he had to be rescued by firemen. Good times.

Yep. That's the mental giant himself.

Seriously, I wonder if he and Paul Moyer sit around KNBC and have "Who's the bigger goober" contests?

Adrienne

Andrew
04-27-2007, 03:17 PM
Seriously, I wonder if he and Paul Moyer sit around KNBC and have "Who's the bigger goober" contests?
I'm glad some things don't change.

cstephens
04-27-2007, 03:22 PM

I've heard Paul Moyer on a radio show where he could speak his mind more than when he's working, and he actually had a lot of intelligent things to say.

Can't say the same for Chuckie.

adriennek
04-27-2007, 03:43 PM
I've heard Paul Moyer on a radio show where he could speak his mind more than when he's working, and he actually had a lot of intelligent things to say.

Hmmm, I wonder what radio show that could've been.....

I can't stand when he improv's his lines. He says some of the STUPIDEST things sometimes in what sounds like an effort to be clever.

Adrienne

Klutch
04-28-2007, 04:08 PM

Hey, I remember that. I heard about it here in Colorado. What a biscuit. I wonder if his station has to pay higher insurance rates because he's on the staff.