PDA

View Full Version : What DL Food is Worth the $$$?

06-14-2002, 11:33 AM
There's a lot of goodies in Disneyland, sure. But which one is truly worth the overpricing?

Gemini Cricket
06-14-2002, 11:42 AM
I guess the Monte Cristo Sandwich at the Blue Bayou because I don't know anywhere else to get it...?

lisap
06-14-2002, 11:43 AM
Salt water taffy. And it's not even that overpriced :cool:

hbquikcomjamesl
06-14-2002, 11:46 AM
The prime rib at the Blue Bayou is generally quite good. I also enjoyed the chicken in SOB.

As I've said before, the Mickey Mouse shortbread cookies are cheaper in the 2-cookie packets.

justagrrl
06-14-2002, 01:50 PM
mmm...dole whip...can't get it anywhere else!

Disney Nick
06-14-2002, 01:53 PM
Ah yes, Dole Whip is great. And nicely priced at $2.50 inlcuding tax (nicely in comparison to other DL food).

Ghoulish Delight
06-14-2002, 01:56 PM
Corn Dogs!! DCA, Corn Dog Castle. Flippin' huge, and about $4. The hot dogs at Award Wieners are also a good deal, and excellent.

Until about 6 months ago, I would have said Gumbo/Chowder in a bread bowl at Royal Street Veranda, but not any more. They used to be (if memory servers) $5 for veggie Gumbo, $6 for steak or chowder. Now it's like $7 for veggie and $8 for the others. Don't get me wrong, I still love the stuff, but that's too much to consider it a good deal.

Rallymonkey23
06-14-2002, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Gemini Cricket
I guess the Monte Cristo Sandwich at the Blue Bayou because I don't know anywhere else to get it...?

Ditto. ;)

mad4mky
06-14-2002, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by justagrrl
mmm...dole whip...can't get it anywhere else!

Yes...you can get it at other places. While on the beach at Waikiki...there was a booth selling...Dole Whips...yep, even with the Dole logo. So, now I know it is not Disneyland exclusive. I even commented to my dear hubby as we were walking by watching the sunset...:D

Oh, and as to food. I think the prime rib is even over priced at DL...the best bargain for food at DL...hmmm..everything is overpriced. I haven't found a bargain price on anything. But, for certain items that I know I will not get anywhere else...I'll go ahead and pay that bloated price...like for Mickey Mouse Ice Cream Sandwhiches...and Churros...and popcorn...and, and, and...;)

Lani
06-14-2002, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by justagrrl
mmm...dole whip...can't get it anywhere else! Yes you can, in Hawaii! :D

I like the food at Plaza Inn. Pricey, but the portions are huge so we can share dishes.

cyberRoo
06-14-2002, 03:37 PM
I was going to say essentially the same thing about Pizza Port...

It's not inexpensive, but the portions are enormous.

My favorite bargain used to be the chocolate covered mickey mouse pretzels at the candy shop, but they stopped selling them at the counter...

-A

SpaceMTJunkie
06-14-2002, 04:01 PM
I can't say that I have had bad food at Disneyland, therfore it is all worth the money. :) Don't forget to spend a little on churros.

06-14-2002, 04:05 PM
You can get Dole whip here in Wisconsin, too. Monte Cristo sandwiches are very widely available in diners and such.
But if you can't find it easily where you live and you love it, I guess it's worth the DL overpricing.

I go more for the cute stuff like the Mickey Mouse pancakes at the Riverbelle. There's also a fun Sorcerer Mickey dessert that room service at the DL Hotel does. Just take your altitude sickness meds before you look at the check.

Ace
06-14-2002, 07:00 PM
it's amazing how we can have in-depth conversations about FOOD. well, anyway... back to the topic. I think the pizza port is pretty good... the ceasar salad is huge, and the pizza is huge (but not that good.) I think the bread bowl soups in NOS are a good deal.

pinkpail
06-14-2002, 07:20 PM
Sorry about the derail of the thread. I got Dolewhips at the Whitewater water park in Atlanta Georgia in the late 80's to the early 90's.

Disneyfreak
06-14-2002, 07:24 PM
Redd Rockets Pizza Port thats all I have to say. Best lunch food in the park.

scanmom
06-14-2002, 08:29 PM
I recently saw a little trailer type cart in a parking lot at the Albertsons in my town....and in big letters it said"DOLE WHIP"!!!
I haven't had one yet, so I don't know if they are like the ones at DL, but I will rectify that situation tomorrow when I am out shopping!!!!Oh, I am in a city of about 45,000 in Oklahoma!! This is the LAST place I would have guessed to find a Dole Whip!!!!:D

wonderful
06-15-2002, 08:16 PM
I think the bread bowl salads and soups at the Pacific Wharf are a good value and always more than enough...
The candy apples at the Candy Palace are also a good deal, comparable to most candy stores...
The corn dogs at Red wagon and Corn Dog Castle are HUGE and very filling (don't ask me how many calories they are, but they are about the worst thing you can do to your body--- but they are yummy!)
The Wine Country Tratoria has a nicely priced menu (something like Carnation Cafe) and you've got wine tasting RIGHT THERE =)
DEFINATELY worth every penny is the ice cream sundae concoctions at Burrr Bank Ice Cream... the mint chocolate one is my fav

wonderful
06-15-2002, 08:17 PM
to set the record straight, Dole Whip can be found in lots of other places, but DL is the only place you know you can get it everytime