PDA

View Full Version : Park Hopper Question

SoCalDisneyLover
06-14-2002, 10:04 AM
I had a question regarding the 3 Day Park Hopper passes which are purchased At the Disneyland Gate. I recently purchased 2 passes on E-Bay which had 1 day remaining on them. When I received them, I saw that they had been signed on the back in ink. Surprisingly, I was able to erase the ink so that the prior signature does not appear as clearly any longer.

I was wondering...if I now put my own signature on the pass, and present it at the gate...will I have any problem? I plan to make it so that it can not be easily seen that there was a newer signature placed on the pass, and possibly even smudge it a little with some water to make it look used. Do they examine the signature closely...if at all, or will they likely just scan it through the machine.

Also...I intend to apply the pass towards an Annual Passport, and wanted to make sure that once again...when I present it at the Annual Pass center, they aren't going to have records of the purchaser. Do they ask for your name to input into a computer when you originally purchase the pass? It does not seem to me that they do, but perhaps someone has bought one at the gate before and knows. I did this before with passes purchased elsewhere, and did not have a problem, I'm just curious about the DL gate procedure. Thanks. :-) David

WDWalways
06-14-2002, 12:20 PM
I've bought a 3-day hopper at the gate 2 different times and they never had me show id or sign it -- why your's was signed I couldn't say but I don't think you'll have a problem. Good Luck!

Disney Nick
06-14-2002, 12:22 PM
In my experience they don't check the signatures very often, and my mom was never even asked to sign hers. You are going to have 2 problems though. DL Park hopper tickets expire 13 days from the first day they are used, so very likely your ticket is expired and not valid at this point. The second problem comes with trying to apply it to an AP. As I understand it, you MUST apply the price towards an AP on the first day you use the park hopper ticket, and not the last, for this very reason. Although I'm not sure how strict they are about that. I think your biggest problem is that you've bought an invalid passport. Good luck!

Dave Z
06-14-2002, 12:47 PM
They allow the trade to AP on or before the last day as I did in March.

I wonder, too, if your ticket is expired. DLR, I believe expire while WDW do not.

[edit]
I found this info (http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disneylandresort/ResortInfo/Tickets/index?Grouping=CG&id=) on Disney's site. Looks like they expire and are non-transferrable.

Good luck.

SoCalDisneyLover
06-14-2002, 01:00 PM
The passes purchased at Disneyland don't expire until 2 years after issue date. It specifically states that on the ticket, with No Mention of a 13 day limit, although I do know what you're referring to. These particular tickets don't have that though.

As for applying towards an AP, they revert back to the First Day the Hopper pass was used, so that your 1 year begins on that date. Obviously, even though this particular hopper does not expire for 2 years, the clock started running when the person I bought it from first used it, which happens to be only 2 weeks ago.

Disney Nick
06-14-2002, 01:03 PM
You may want to be very sure about that 13 days thing. If they used it two weeks ago, how long ago did they buy it? Every ticket sold recently does indeed have a 13 day limit on it, no matter where it was purchased from? Also, how well do you know this person?

hbquikcomjamesl
06-14-2002, 01:16 PM
Generally, if you try to get something for nothing, you're more likely to end up getting nothing for something.

Rallymonkey23
06-14-2002, 01:16 PM
This is why I have never bought anything off the net. You never know what your gonna get. Let's hope everything turns out well for you! Do you mind if I ask how much you paid for the tickets??

Dave Z
06-14-2002, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by SoCalDisneyLover
As for applying towards an AP, they revert back to the First Day the Hopper pass was used, so that your 1 year begins on that date.

I went to DLR in March with a 3 day Park Hopper. Went to the parks on Fri the 1st and Sat the 2nd. On Sunday the 3rd I traded my Hopper for an AP and the expiration is 03-03-03. I don't know if they changed that rule since March.

Matterhorn Fan
06-14-2002, 05:31 PM
The passes purchased at Disneyland don't expire until 2 years after issue date. It specifically states that on the ticket, with No Mention of a 13 day limit, although I do know what you're referring to. These particular tickets don't have that though.In that case, it's possible that your park-hoppers were purchased before they changed that 2-years-until-expiration policy. My brother recently used the last day on a 3-day hopper that was bought before they policy change with no trouble.

As for applying towards an AP, they revert back to the First Day the Hopper pass was used, so that your 1 year begins on that date. Obviously, even though this particular hopper does not expire for 2 years, the clock started running when the person I bought it from first used it, which happens to be only 2 weeks ago. That's good news for applying your ticket to an AP, but . . . If the person first used it two weeks ago, it's likely that you won't be able to use that last day on it. Honestly, what are the chances that they bought a 3-day hopper before the policy change and then let it sit around unused until two weeks ago? If they bought it two weeks ago, you've gotten nothing for something, as hbquikcomjamesl said.

Just don't be suprised if you get to the turnstiles and they don't let you in.

SoCalDisneyLover
06-14-2002, 06:31 PM
I'm looking at the pass right now, and if I do get there tonight, I will verify at the Guest Relations that it's still valid. But it says..."3-Day Park Hopper - $114.00 - NOT VALID AFTER 05/25/2004. The red legal wording appears above, with absolutely No Mention of a 13-Day time period.

I have seen the passes which specifically state..."Expires 13 Days After First Use." These do not say that anywhere. I seriously doubt they could insert a provision which does not appear on the tickets. The person I phoned at Guest Services admitted as much, and that there are passes sold which do not have the 13 day limitation. Perhaps they made the change effective June 1...after this person bought theirs at the gate.

I have no question regarding this person's legitimacy, and I buy and sell all the time on E-Bay with no problems. Simply put...they are from Texas, came to California over Memorial Day Weekend, and went to the park on Saturday & Sunday with the 3-Day hoppers, and have now recovered $85 of their cost by selling to me the final day on each. Even if I don't convert to AP's, I still have 2 Hoppers good for another 23 months. But I may check this all out in the next couple of hours.

sydney
06-14-2002, 08:51 PM
let us know how your ticket adventure goes... I've heard of many people who've paid for "partially used" tickets only to discover when they're scanned that they're "totally used" tickets.

Gook luck!

:)

tabacco
06-14-2002, 09:05 PM
I'm not gonna make any comment about the condition of the tickets, since it would be Very Naughty for me to tell you one way or the other. However, you might be interested in this info:

1) Whenever a ticket is used for a day, the turnstile ALMOST always punches a small hole in the bottom (don't rely on the punches for sure).

2) The expiration date is ALWAYS clearly printed on the back of the ticket. No date means no expiration (as with 1-day tickets).

3) We see a LOT of guests who buy scalped tickets and take the person's word for it that they've got days left, then end up cheated because the pass was fully used. Unfortunately, there's usually nothing the resort can do for these guests.

cstephens
06-14-2002, 09:54 PM
I'm looking at the pass right now, and if I do get there tonight, I will verify at the Guest Relations that it's still valid. But it says..."3-Day Park Hopper - $114.00 - NOT VALID AFTER 05/25/2004. The red legal wording appears above, with absolutely No Mention of a 13-Day time period.

I have seen the passes which specifically state..."Expires 13 Days After First Use." These do not say that anywhere. I seriously doubt they could insert a provision which does not appear on the tickets.

I find it ironic that you're adamant about what the ticket does and does not say and holding them to it, but yet, you have no problem circumventing the intent of the ticket, which is that it's not transferable.

HeeHeeHeeHoHoHo
06-15-2002, 10:05 PM
It's kinda like downloading music illegally - you make a moral choice to do it - and be 'ok' with it even though it's wrong. Contractually you make the ticket void by using in the manner you are intending to - it's just Disney either doesn't know about it, or cannot do something about it - or better yet yoinks it out of your hand and tosses it in the oval file cabinet.

Is Disney at heart a great big evil company? Maybe... Does that make ticket scalping ok? I vote no...

SoCalDisneyLover
06-15-2002, 11:42 PM
Granted, I won't argue with the fact I'm trying to bend the rules in my favor...but Disney certainly comes out on the better end of this deal.

They already got the $114 for the original Park Hopper. Now, assuming the purchaser used 2 of the 3 days...and now goes home and never uses the remaining day...Disney still has the $114, end of story. However, by my purchasing the remaining day...Disney still has their $114, and the final pass day gets used, so Disney likely makes money off additional concessions and/or parking, etc. If I turn around and give the pass to someone who upgrades to an Annual Pass...Disney still has their $114, and Now they get an additional $45-$105 from the upgrade....in addition to the money they will make resulting from the use of the pass during the coming year.

I still think Disney benefits from this whole arrangement, as opposed to the pass sitting in someone's house in Texas, potentially to expire unused. The discount on purchasing a 3-Day vs 3 Individual Days is not tremendous...so why shouldn't the final day have the chance to be used? This person spent $38/Day for their pass, and then sold the final day for $45, so perhaps they come out a bit ahead...but Disneyland is not worse off for the fact the final day on the pass will be used...in fact, under the possibilities described above, they could stand to make more revenue as a result of it. Unless you think they suffer from having an additional body in the park than they would if this pass went unused.

SoCalDisneyLover
06-16-2002, 12:01 AM
And I don't think this is comparable or deserving of comparison to bootlegging or stealing downloaded music, or a like situation. I am not in effect "Duplicating" this pass, so much as using it. If someone buys a cd, then turns around and sells it to me...that is not illegal. They(as with the original purchaser of this pass), are giving up the right to use of the cd. I am not in effect stealing from Disney by copying a pass or trying to produce counterfeit Disney tickets. It should be noted that if this person had actually paid Disney for a 2-Day Pass, then Disney would have less money...although I guess there are those who still feel I did something immoral here by saving a few $. It's sad with all the true evil going on in society today, there seems to be those who feel I'm so terribly wrong for trying to help a friend get a pass by saving a few $, at absolutely no cost to Disney. They got $114, and got an additional $45 from the upgrade. If they rip up the pass and toss it, as a previous poster appeared to wish...then I'd be out $90, and life goes on. Thankfully, Disney has other more important things to worry about.

MickeyD
06-16-2002, 12:34 AM
Granted, I won't argue with the fact I'm trying to bend the rules in my favor...but Disney certainly comes out on the better end of this deal.

You ain't just bendin' the rules, you're breakin' them. From Disney's point of view, they *aren't* coming out better in the deal, because they should have the seller's $114 *and* your $45 (Or $90 really if you're going to both parks, or $99-219 if you're going to buy an AP, you get what I'm saying...)

And it *is* like downloading music illegally because in both cases you come out ahead at a major company's expense (the music label in one case, Disney in the other.)

I'm not pointing a finger at you or telling you that I think it's wrong (if I were there'd be three pointing right back at me since I have about 3 gig's of downloaded music on my computer ) just playing devil's advocate.:) Good luck.

Disney Nick
06-16-2002, 07:23 AM
Just curious have you tried using it yet? I'm just wondering how it's going to go. And it is still illegal BTW. The pass explicitly says that it is Non-Transferable.

EandCDad
06-16-2002, 07:53 AM
Overall, I don't really have a problem with what you are doing. If I saw you in line I wouldn't say "Hey, that guy is using a transfered ticket that states non-transferable! Police! Police!" In the grand scheme of things, its not a big issue. I could care less if everyone got in for free (or cheap) or no one did or anything in between. However, I do have a couple of comments about your rational.

And I don't think this is comparable or deserving of comparison to bootlegging or stealing downloaded music, or a like situation. I am not in effect "Duplicating" this pass, so much as using it. If someone buys a cd, then turns around and sells it to me...that is not illegal. They(as with the original purchaser of this pass), are giving up the right to use of the cd. I am not in effect stealing from Disney by copying a pass or trying to produce counterfeit Disney tickets. It should be noted that if this person had actually paid Disney for a 2-Day Pass, then Disney would have less money...although I guess there are those who still feel I did something immoral here by saving a few $.

Some music is ok to be downloaded. The person who produces it or owns it has said, "fine, take it, go ahead, I want you to." In other cases, they have said "no, no, no, don't take it." If you take those, you are doing something wrong (I don't want to turn this into a downloading thread, someone can start one in the lounge if they want). In this case, Disney has said "non-transferrable." I mean, its pretty clear. If you are transferring it, you are doing something wrong. You can justify to yourself until you are blue in the face but the bottom line is that you pretty much have to say, "it's wrong and I just don't care."

It's sad with all the true evil going on in society today, there seems to be those who feel I'm so terribly wrong for trying to help a friend get a pass by saving a few $, at absolutely no cost to Disney. They got $114, and got an additional $45 from the upgrade. If they rip up the pass and toss it, as a previous poster appeared to wish...then I'd be out $90, and life goes on. Thankfully, Disney has other more important things to worry about.

This rational is always quite amusing to me, it can be used about this entire message board and this entire site for that matter. Of course there are more important things going on in society. I could say "well, instead of going to Disneyland, you should work in a soup kitchen, you should donate the money for all the stuff you buy on e-bay to a charity." That rational is weak, instead of worrying about what someone on this board thinks and responding to it, you could try and solve some of the worlds problems. I mean, where does an attitude like that end?

Again, I don't really care what you do. Disney says that they don't want people to bring in food to the park. I do it everytime I go. I understand what the rule is, I know its wrong to break it, I just don't care. I try not to come up with weak rationalizations for it (and believe me, I could come up with plenty).

HBTiggerFan
06-16-2002, 10:20 AM
OK, but you do realize that you didn't save any money by doing this?? You spent $90 on what is basically two 1 day tickets. You spent $45 each. Now, a 1 day pass is $45 (for either park). DLR is also offering a so-cal discount for $35, and they also still have a ticket that can be used in DL one day and DCA the next or both in one day, and that ticket is way under $90 (I beleive its $60).

HeeHeeHeeHoHoHo
06-17-2002, 11:37 PM
Ha ha ha - quick call security!!!! That pass is non-transferable I repeat.. NON....

I agree with the previous poster. Disney is losing out as APs are not priced to be used in this matter. I would bet most 3-day park hopper tickets are probably sold to out-of-towners (like from Texas)- and prob few turn them into APs. Disney knows this that's why they are so expensive - even more than a So-Cal AP.