PDA

View Full Version : Remember D.U.H.?

Pages : [1] 2

NoNoNanette
04-23-2007, 09:12 PM
Remember D.U.H.? Wanna see Rebecca, Gale, Mark, Matt, Frank, Rob, and Cory again? Take a walk down memory lane and view 4 videos on YouTube of the Department of Untapped Hilarity. Go to YouTube and type in search box just one word: edgarpoe

That's right, ONE word, NO spaces.

OR, here's an address to get you started.

http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=edgarpoe

KarenW2
04-23-2007, 11:43 PM
Thanks for the link. It was kinda blurry stuff, so that's why I much prefer to see these guys in person at ComedySportz in LA!! Several of the same cast members (in the true sense of the word) worked/work in both places.

Some of the best good, clean fun to be had, is on a Friday or Saturday night there. If you're lucky, you might see Mark M., one of the former hosts of the Millionaire show at DCA. He's my favorite ref at CSz.

Check out their website: www.comedysportzla.com.

NoNoNanette
04-24-2007, 12:34 AM
The videos were made blurry on purpose for the following reasons:

1. so the people would remain unrecognizable.

2. not intended to be a substitute for a live performance.

3. to show the need for Disney to have a really good improv show.

NoNoNanette
04-25-2007, 08:10 AM
Check out the latest D.U.H. video on edgarpoe's videos --

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=edgarpoe

stan4d_steph
04-25-2007, 09:48 AM
You already provided that link. No need to repeat.

Are there any plans to bring DUH back to DCA?

NoNoNanette
04-25-2007, 11:18 AM
I know of no plans to bring back D.U.H. but one can always hope. I hear Drawn to the Magic is now appearing on the Backlot Stage -- I've seen that show out on the street. Disney should move that show out of the park. I thought DCA was to be more than just for kids, isn't there enough kid stuff over in Disneyland? However, kids liked D.U.H. and also participated in the show -- kids are more savvy today than they were back in the old days. D.U.H. was the only show in Disneyland Resort that wasn't scripted, it was always new and fresh, a relief from the same old, same old.

adriennek
04-25-2007, 02:41 PM
I know of no plans to bring back D.U.H. but one can always hope.

Well there's hope and there's reality aka the historical pattern at DLR.

This isn't really uncommon at DLR. There are a few exceptions (like my Billies, but even they have been diluted - and the Main Street Barbershop Quartet but they also lost their original members although I've spied at least one Pirate who used to be in the quartet...)

Remember "Chance to Shine"? They were tremendously popular but never really came back, although didn't some of the singers get jobs elsewhere in the park?

Adrienne
"You take the good, you take the bad, you take them both and there you have..."

NoNoNanette
04-25-2007, 04:33 PM
Well there's hope and there's reality aka the historical pattern at DLR.

This isn't really uncommon at DLR. There are a few exceptions (like my Billies, but even they have been diluted - and the Main Street Barbershop Quartet but they also lost their original members although I've spied at least one Pirate who used to be in the quartet...)

Remember "Chance to Shine"? They were tremendously popular but never really came back, although didn't some of the singers get jobs elsewhere in the park?

Adrienne
"You take the good, you take the bad, you take them both and there you have..."

Disney has a captive audience in southern California. There's nowhere else to go and Disney knows it.

adriennek
04-25-2007, 08:31 PM
Disney has a captive audience in southern California. There's nowhere else to go and Disney knows it.

A captive audience for what? Live Entertainment? HARDLY! LOL.

There's theater (lots of "Performing Arts", nevermind Downtown LA & the Pantages.) There's lots of music - Hollywood Bowl, Kodak, tons of concerts all over LA, Orange, San Bernardino Counties. (Oh, wait, I forgot all the theaters on the university campuses, too.)

There are fairs all over - Pomona, Ventura, Orange County to start. There are numerous convention centers with shows to go to - Home Shows, Boat Shows, Car Shows, Train Shows, Craft Shows, Computer Shows.

There's comedy clubs - Comedy & Magic Club - is that the one in Hermosa? The Improv in Irvine, The Magic Castle (although is that comedy or just magic? I've been invited I just haven't had a chance to accept the invite!)

Let's talk other amusement parks: Six Flags, Knotts, Legoland, Sea World. Would the Aquarium of the Pacific be a park or a museum? There are museums- Exposition Park, La Brea Tar Pits, Discovery museum in Santa Ana, Train museums - Griffith Park and in Perris and in Lomita, too. In San Diego there's that great park with the museums - someone else will know what it's called - there's the USS Midway (so cool - we got to spend the night on it with Cub Scouts about 16 months ago!)

There are beaches, there is wine tasting, there are zoos and animal parks. There are festivals, there are historical sites to visit (some beautiful Missions.)

There's TV show tapings, game show tapings, TONS of tourist attractions! My goodness -- Farmer's Market, Outlet Malls, Shopping Malls, (Del Amo in Torrance was once the largest mall in the country. It was in Seventeen magazine when I was a teenager living less than 10 minutes away from it!)

Look at how many airports serve the Los Angeles Metropolitan area alone! LAX, Long Beach, Ontario, Burbank, John Wayne.

Where exactly is this captive audience? LOL! Seriously. Were you being facetious and I missed it?

Adrienne

Malcon10t
04-25-2007, 09:08 PM
It would be great if DUH came back, but I won't hold my breath.

Another Dimension
04-26-2007, 01:03 AM
NOS being mauled by Live Entertainment cuts is still far worse than even less entertainment at DCA.

TDA doesn't want entertainment at DCA.
It physically pains them or something.
:rolleyes:

Some mis-employed numbskull in TDA really thinks DCA Guests don't want live entertainment.... and apparently not much live entertainment at Disneyland.

Besides the Delta Daddy O's and the Mariachi Divas... what else is there live at DCA?

A few character shows.

Is TDA saving the Pacfic Wharf stage for a special occasion?

Not even the Mariachi Divas are allowed to perform on it... or with any sound system.
:p

Some Ent execs in Team Disney Anaheim need their cages rattled. :~D

NoNoNanette
04-26-2007, 01:10 AM
A captive audience for what? Live Entertainment? HARDLY! LOL.I'm tired of dealing with people who feign innocence about what Disney is all about.

adriennek
04-26-2007, 07:19 AM
Besides the Delta Daddy O's and the Mariachi Divas... what else is there live at DCA?

A few character shows.

Aladdin Stage Show?

I'm tired of dealing with people who feign innocence about what Disney is all about.

I think it's a bit much to be obsessing about one particular show when there's a bigger picture. Disney regularly mixes up the entertainment. Like I mentioned earlier, other great shows have come and gone such as Chance to Shine leaving and D.U.H. coming in.

Yes, it would be great if they added entertainment, especially with the summer season ahead, but they can also mix it up a bit. Maybe D.U.H. will come back, but I doubt it will.

Meanwhile, if the goal is to find improv comedy or live entertainment, Disneyland does not have the corner on that. They only have a captive audience if the audience continues to go. And if the audience continues to go, maybe they're not looking for live entertainment or else Disney does have enough to satisfy their audience? I realize they may not have enough to satisfy everyone, but if "we" don't fit that group, there are definitely options in SoCal.

Adrienne

tweetheart
04-26-2007, 09:04 AM
In San Diego there's that great park with the museums - someone else will know what it's called

I think the park you're thinking of is Balboa Park. My first trip to San Diego we went there. It was so much fun!

Andrew
04-26-2007, 09:37 AM
I'm tired of dealing with people who feign innocence about what Disney is all about.
Then here's your opportunity: What are you talking about?

NoNoNanette
04-26-2007, 10:28 AM
Then here's your opportunity: What are you talking about?

I am tired of people dodging issues by telling me if I don't like it, I can go somewhere else (like I don't know that).

I'm talking about putting out big bucks to get into the parks and if you don't like it, you're STUCK (captive). Once in a while they have something really good, like DUH, and then they pull the plug. What? you're enjoying yourself? You say you don't have to stand in line? You can just walk up, sit down (or stand) and watch the show? Well, we can't have that -- away with DUH. Yes, I know about all the other things to do in southern California, but they may not be as safe or have the amenities that Disney has and yet every time I go there, I hear people grumbling and complaining about Disney's policies. Everybody wants to go there, especially kids, so Disney just does whatever it pleases without regard to what people would really like and that's how you know Disney has a captive audience. Contrary to the saying 'the customer is always right', at Disney the customer is NEVER right. At best, Disney is a frustrating experience, one has to fight crowds, long lines and constant noise, trying to get some pleasure from the money you've spent.

The way I see it, Disney is part of Americana, an ikon, and owes more to the community than what it actually gives.

adriennek
04-26-2007, 11:03 AM
I'm talking about putting out big bucks to get into the parks and if you don't like it, you're STUCK (captive).

snip to

Everybody wants to go there, especially kids, so Disney just does whatever it pleases without regard to what people would really like and that's how you know Disney has a captive audience. Contrary to the saying 'the customer is always right', at Disney the customer is NEVER right. At best, Disney is a frustrating experience, one has to fight crowds, long lines and constant noise, trying to get some pleasure from the money you've spent.

How is bringing D.U.H. back going to solve the long lines, constant noise, etc? Has your argument changed from "I wish DUH would come back." to "DUH was the only good thing at the Disneyland Resort"?

Adrienne

NoNoNanette
04-26-2007, 11:42 AM
How is bringing D.U.H. back going to solve the long lines, constant noise, etc? Has your argument changed from "I wish DUH would come back." to "DUH was the only good thing at the Disneyland Resort"?

Adrienne

Oh dear! I didn't say DUH would solve anything but it was a bright spot that made the frustrations more bearable. What is there to do over at DCA now? How many times can you see "Aladdin"? I'm speaking from the viewpoint of an AP holder. DUH was the equivalent of DL's "Horseshoe" but had the added advantage of not being scripted. DUH had five shows a day, just like the Horseshoe has now, and every show was different, unlike the 'Shoe. Who wants to listen to the OBS five times a day, unless you're fanatical about a train song? No, DUH was not the only good thing at DLR, the Miner 49ers are good, the fireworks are good, the POC ride is good, the boat rides (Mark Twain, Columbia) are good, the TOT ride is good, the Jungle Cruise is good, but with the exception of the Miners, all these good things come with conditions of fighting crowds and standing in long lines. You need to have a place to sit down and be entertained and DUH satisfied this requirement.

Another Dimension
04-26-2007, 04:01 PM
Aladdin Stage Show?

Which prominently features Disney characters.

Thusly designating it as one of the few characters shows at DCA. :)

Even a dozen more character shows still wouldn't validate firing so many great musical talents who weren't just schlepping thru even more characters only shows, but yet still providing millions of Guests live entertainment, annually.

parkfreak
04-28-2007, 01:19 PM
I really miss D.U.H., and I wish it would return, but I'm not holding my breath. :rolleyes:

NoNoNanette
04-28-2007, 07:17 PM
New D.U.H. video available for your viewing pleasure. Check it out on
YouTube at edgarpoe. See my post 04-23-2007 for address.

NoNoNanette
04-30-2007, 09:54 AM
Remember D.U.H.? Wanna see Rebecca, Gale, Mark, Matt, Frank, Rob, and Cory again? Take a walk down memory lane and view 4 videos on YouTube of the Department of Untapped Hilarity. Go to YouTube and type in search box just one word: edgarpoe
That's right, ONE word, NO spaces.
OR, here's an address to get you started.
http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=edgarpoe

C'mon people, there are now 7 videos of DUH to check out! Relive the good ol' days when you sat outside on the benches in the fresh air watching those merry madcaps of improv comedy. How could anyone not like them?

cstephens
04-30-2007, 02:30 PM
Never saw them. Never sounded interesting to me.

Wasn't "Chance to Shine" the "extras" who sang near the Animation Academy? They were pretty good, and a few were familiar from other shows I'd seen.

Anyone remember Three Bags Full? :)

adriennek
04-30-2007, 02:33 PM
Anyone remember Three Bags Full? :)

No, but I love me the Laughing Stock.

"I'll drink to that!"

Adrienne

Andrew
05-01-2007, 02:55 PM
"I'll drink to that!"
And then she said it in Spanish!

(That Sally-Mae is one fine-lookin' filly!)