PDA

View Full Version : Taking a newbie!

Mermaid
04-23-2007, 08:03 PM
Hi guys! I am taking a newbie to Disneyland this weekend! It is my sister's friend and she is doing MA with us and she is getting an annual pass- but that's a long story! Yes, we will convert her fast. Anyway, does DL have the first trip buttons? We were also discussing what should be her first ride- opinions? We were gonna do the rides in order of original opening, but we get in Saturday around lunch and that is just about the worst time to be in Fantasyland! We are leaning towards Pirates.... whattya guys think?

Bytebear
04-23-2007, 08:19 PM
They do have stickers/buttons for first timers. Just go to City Hall and pick one up. Hopefully this will give you a little bit of special treatment.

First ride? Hmmm... Fastpass pickup for Indy, and then Jungle Cruise, then go clockwise around the park. You don't want to be doing a lot of running around until your friend get's a lay of the land. And because she is getting an AP, you can always come back for the things you don't get to.

Mermaid
04-23-2007, 08:28 PM
They do have stickers/buttons for first timers. Just go to City Hall and pick one up. Hopefully this will give you a little bit of special treatment.

First ride? Hmmm... Fastpass pickup for Indy, and then Jungle Cruise, then go clockwise around the park. You don't want to be doing a lot of running around until your friend get's a lay of the land. And because she is getting an AP, you can always come back for the things you don't get to.

No Indy FP this weekend, we will be FPing Space first but no real "classics" in that area. Maybe Matterhorn! We really hate Autopia but will probably suck it up so she can ride! Good news about the button- we will stop in and get one!

Bytebear
04-23-2007, 08:43 PM
Drat. I forgot about the construction on Indy. Matterhorn is fun. Is she a "thrill" kinda gal? Would it be better to ease her into the bigger rides? Pirates and Haunted Mansion are always classics. Autopia can be fun. Or a spin around on the Train or the Monorail.

danyoung
04-24-2007, 05:46 AM
My one piece of advice for taking a newbie is to let the park speak for itself. I know I have thousands of little bits of trivia and park history squirelled up in my brain, and I just love babbling on about my favorite place. But it's easy to overwhelm a newbie with that kind of stuff. Tell a few cool stories, but try tot to inundate your friend with everything you know about Disney all at once!

Have fun!!!

MadasaHatter
04-24-2007, 09:42 AM
My one piece of advice for taking a newbie is to let the park speak for itself. I know I have thousands of little bits of trivia and park history squirelled up in my brain, and I just love babbling on about my favorite place. But it's easy to overwhelm a newbie with that kind of stuff. Tell a few cool stories, but try tot to inundate your friend with everything you know about Disney all at once!

Have fun!!!

Couldn't agree with you more Dan. It is fun letting the newbie discover things for themselves and not blab too much which by now you all know that I suffer from that big time. You do have to take charge when it comes to waits of coruse....my friends always wanted to ride this or that and I would say..."no, that has a 45 minute wait but that ride only has 15 minute wait"...after awhile they trusted me....hehehehe

Mermaid
04-24-2007, 12:10 PM

Have fun!!!

That's good advice! I will try to shut up and let her enjoy the park!

Leap for Joy
04-24-2007, 04:49 PM
I agree with taking charge like MadasaHatter suggested. While you're handling the decision making she will be absorbing the magic.

Franz
04-25-2007, 07:12 AM
Whatever else you do, in POTC, make sure you point out the detail of the "talking pirate skull" and ensure the newbie is paying close attention to it... it'll make the first drop in pirates all the more exciting if they don't have a clue its coming! (I do this with all newbies -if they are age appropriate and would enjoy a good scare) Its amazing how many truly don't notice that they're about to go over a waterfall the first time on the ride.:D