PDA

View Full Version : Question about LA freeways

webmomma
04-23-2007, 04:18 PM
Hope nobody minds that this isn't directly related to DL; it is indirectly related as I need your LA expertise regarding the best way to get to DL! :confused: Who better to ask than those of you who live there and navigate those highways all the time.

We're coming from Phoenix to DL this Wednesday. I mapquested the route and it said to take 10W to 60W to 215S to 91W to 57S. Then I read on another Disney board (in answer to somebody else's post) to avoid Hwy 91 like the plague. Several people posted and said it is a terrible highway and suggested taking the 60 all the way to the 57.

I'm not sure if this is good advice for me as well as the original poster because that person was coming south on I-15 from Utah. Looking at the map, it looks like it is more direct for me to do as mapquest suggests, but if 91 is as slow/awful as several people said, then it might actually be faster to take the 60 all the way.

Also, if possible I want to avoid the worse of LA traffic. How far out of Anaheim is LA traffic going to start and what times do I want to avoid? As of now, the plan is to leave around 7:30am and arrive in Anaheim around 1:30pm.

Thank you so much for your advice! :)

Tisha
04-23-2007, 04:39 PM
Well I don't live in LA, I live in the inland empire. My route to Disneyland is always the 15N, to the 91W, to 57 (going all the way to the 5 seems way out of the way, even if getting to the park from the 5 is very convenient). The 91 CAN be bad, but if you're not coming at peak commuter times you should be okay. The worst part I always have to deal with is the 15-91 ramp.

One time I was headed to Disneyland and the 91 was backed up from an accident. I called my dad and he told me to take the 15 to the 60 to 57. That way seemed quite out of the way to me, so unless the 91 was REALLY bad I'd stick with it.

Just my two cents.

backsthepack
04-23-2007, 04:55 PM
We drive over there several times a year from west Phoenix and go with the directions that mapquest gives. It sounds worse than it really is. The only time it has been really slow is the one time I didn't time things well and we were stuck in Riverside rush hour. But the route they give you works well, truly.

adriennek
04-23-2007, 05:28 PM
As of now, the plan is to leave around 7:30am and arrive in Anaheim around 1:30pm.

The WB 91 at that time of day should be fine!

By the time you get to the 91, it will be lunchtime - you shouldn't have much westbound traffic by then - the westbound rush hour is over by 10 to 10:30 and the Riverside afternoon to Corona traffic won't start until 3:30 or 4:00.

Adrienne

webmomma
04-23-2007, 06:39 PM
Mapquest says it is 4 1/2 hours from Phoenix to Riverside....add on another half hour for bathroom breaks. So that would put us at Riverside around 12:30. There isn't traffic at that time? I ask because here in Phoenix there is a bit of lunch hour traffic. Of course, it isn't as bad as morning or evening rush hour, but it is worse than other times of the day.

In your opinion, if we do arrive hit Riverside around 12:30ish, how long should it take us to make it from Riverside to Anaheim?

We could try to leave Phoenix a bit earlier like 6:30am instead of 7:30am if it would make a difference.

Thanks a bunch for everybody's help.

tunaman68
04-23-2007, 07:00 PM
We live in Corona, and drive the 91 to DL all the time. If you come through here between 11:00 am and 3:00 pm you should be fine. The 91 does indeed deserve it's reputation, but by 11:00 on the weekdays it usually clears out (unless there's an accident). On the weekends, the 91 CAN be bad all day so if you're traveling on Sat or Sun, you might want to take the 60 to 57, but that interchange can be really bad too as there is massive construction going on there right now.

Later in the afternoon, the traffic is more likely to be at the 91/57 interchange, but if you're gonna be to DL by 2:00 you should be fine!

Have Fun and wave hi as you go past the 91/15! :D It should take you less than an hour to get from eastern Riverside to the parking garage.

Tisha
04-23-2007, 07:15 PM
Later in the afternoon, the traffic is more likely to be at the 91/57 interchange, but if you're gonna be to DL by 2:00 you should be fine!

Which is why I love taking the 57! Right when the 91 starts to stop, I'm getting off onto the 57. 2 miles later I get off on Ball and go all the way down to the parking garage. :D

adriennek
04-23-2007, 07:25 PM
Mapquest says it is 4 1/2 hours from Phoenix to Riverside....add on another half hour for bathroom breaks. So that would put us at Riverside around 12:30. There isn't traffic at that time?

Nope.

In your opinion, if we do arrive hit Riverside around 12:30ish, how long should it take us to make it from Riverside to Anaheim?

91/60 interchange to I-15 in Corona should be 15 to 20 minutes. I-15/91 interchange to the DLR parking garage - 30 minutes.

We could try to leave Phoenix a bit earlier like 6:30am instead of 7:30am if it would make a difference.

Nah. Sleep a little longer. :)

Adrienne

webmomma
04-23-2007, 07:29 PM
On the weekends, the 91 CAN be bad all day so if you're traveling on Sat or Sun, you might want to take the 60 to 57, but that interchange can be really bad too as there is massive construction going on there right now.

Your answer was most helpful! One more question for you, as it seems you know that area very well since you live in Corona. Sounds like we'll be fine taking the 91 on the way to DL as it will be a weekday (this Wed.). But we will be leaving the Anaheim area & heading back to Phoenix on Saturday around noon. You said weekends are bad all day on the 91...is it bad going both directions? both west and east? If so, would you advise the 60 even with the construction. Thanks a bunch!

tunaman68
04-23-2007, 07:41 PM
Oh man, that's a tough one - the 91 can be nasty on Sat in both directions from Anaheim Hills through Corona to Riverside. I'd say the 57 to the 60 would be the safest bet, they shouldn't be doing active constuction on the weekend, but I'm not a Cal Trans expert so it's only a guess. That way always seems longer to me, but anything's better than sitting in a jam!

If you do take the 91, use the carpool lane at Green River and it should save you some time as you pass by our lovely city.

Toss a coin and hope for the best! You're leaving DL, so you'll be depressed anyhow! :crying:

Have Fun!

webmomma
04-23-2007, 07:43 PM
LOL! I have a feeling after doing DL with three young boys in tow, I'll be exhausted. I can just sleep while DH handles the traffic jam. Oh, wait, no I can't....my 3 boys will probably be fighting or whining or something. haha. thank you so much for your insight. i really do appreciate it.

tunaman68
04-23-2007, 07:47 PM
:p my 3 boys will probably be fighting or whining or something. haha. thank you so much for your insight. i really do appreciate it.

:p My Pleasure!

bri719
04-24-2007, 08:49 AM
91/60 interchange to I-15 in Corona should be 15 to 20 minutes. I-15/91 interchange to the DLR parking garage - 30 minutes.

Nah. Sleep a little longer. :)

Adrienne

there is no 91/60 interchange... I think you meant to say 91/57 interchange, though I'm not sure why someone's interested in that particular time (who's going to Corona and why) :)

bri719
04-24-2007, 08:51 AM
Oh man, that's a tough one - the 91 can be nasty on Sat in both directions from Anaheim Hills through Corona to Riverside. I'd say the 57 to the 60 would be the safest bet, they shouldn't be doing active constuction on the weekend, but I'm not a Cal Trans expert so it's only a guess. That way always seems longer to me, but anything's better than sitting in a jam!

If you do take the 91, use the carpool lane at Green River and it should save you some time as you pass by our lovely city.

Toss a coin and hope for the best! You're leaving DL, so you'll be depressed anyhow! :crying:

Have Fun!

using route 60 to SR 57 is the way to go on the weekends I agree... 90
becomes a relative nightmare and/or just has way more cars in general.
I-15 S to 60/57 is a few miles farther but it's worth the peace of mind during peak times.

but this is definitely not a problem on a weekday at noon...!

have fun at DLR!

potzbie
04-24-2007, 08:59 AM
Several people posted and said it is a terrible highway and suggested taking the 60 all the way to the 57.
In general, as long as you avoid the two rush hours (a.m. and p.m.), the 57 is often used by me to avoid the clogged I-5.

Koukla
04-24-2007, 09:37 AM

I did that 15/91/57 drive for years and have the gray hair to prove it. Definitely take advantage of the carpool lane on the 91 freeway! Weekday mid-morning westbound traffic on the 91 won't be too bad unless there's an accident.

Another thing you can do, especially as you're leaving DLR on the weekend, is to tune your radio to the lower AM stations (640, 1070, and I think 980) and listen for the traffic reports while studying your trusty maps. As soon as they say, "4 vehicle accident on the 91 in Anaheim Hills," whip that car around and go straight up the 57!

:: waving to Tunaman :: Howdy neighbor! :D

Sleeping Beauty's mom
04-24-2007, 02:12 PM
there is no 91/60 interchange... I think you meant to say 91/57 interchange, though I'm not sure why someone's interested in that particular time (who's going to Corona and why)
Actually there is the 91/60/215 interchange in Riverside, and that is the one she is probably talking about, traffic usually backs up there going west. Also, Saturday afternoon
traffic coming out of Anaheim getting on to the 91 fwy going east can be bumper to bumper. It makes you wonder where all those people are coming from. I got caught in it last month and had to take the back roads home to Riverside. What a pain.

adriennek
04-24-2007, 02:20 PM
there is no 91/60 interchange... I think you meant to say 91/57 interchange, though I'm not sure why someone's interested in that particular time (who's going to Corona and why)

Actually there is the 91/60/215 interchange in Riverside, and that is the one she is probably talking about, traffic usually backs up there going west.

Yep, there absolutely is. I lived barely a mile from it in grad school and drove through it twice a day for almost my entire teaching career ;) It's at the east end of Riverside very close to UC Riverside. (At least back then, you didn't hesitate when you were merging from WB 60 to the SB/WB 91 or you'd be hit!)

Also, Saturday afternoon traffic coming out of Anaheim getting on to the 91 fwy going east can be bumper to bumper. It makes you wonder where all those people are coming from. I got caught in it last month and had to take the back roads home to Riverside. What a pain.

This is why almost everyone I know has FastTrak Transponders. Even our relatives have them for when they come to visit! :eek:

Another vote for the N 57 to the E 60 on Saturday.

Adrienne

erinzgirl
04-24-2007, 02:59 PM
We're coming down from SF- we are going to leave on Wed 5/30 when I get out of work (around six pm) and drive about halfway (Bakersfield maybe?) get some shut eye and then head to DLR on Thursday morning (taking the 5) what time would be optimal to 1)beat LA traffic and 2)give us the most time at DL on Thursday? Does that make any sense?

Rufus T Firefly
04-24-2007, 10:54 PM
I am one of those who avoids the 91 like the plague. To me it is commuter hell. IMHO the 60/57 connection is the only way to go. All the transition construction is complete, and you can now go directly from the carpool lane on the 60 to the car pool lane on the 57 (and vice versa) The 15 has no car pool lane whatsoever, and the 91 has only partial car pool lanes.

erinzgirl
04-25-2007, 04:12 PM
We're coming down from SF- we are going to leave on Wed 5/30 when I get out of work (around six pm) and drive about halfway (Bakersfield maybe?) get some shut eye and then head to DLR on Thursday morning (taking the 5) what time would be optimal to 1)beat LA traffic and 2)give us the most time at DL on Thursday? Does that make any sense?

erinzgirl
05-01-2007, 03:02 PM
Anyone with an answer? Anyone? Bueller? Please?

adriennek
05-01-2007, 03:08 PM
what time would be optimal to 1)beat LA traffic and 2)give us the most time at DL on Thursday? Does that make any sense?

Well to get the most time at DLR, you'd probably be waking up pretty darn early (like 3 am!) The problem won't be from Bakersfield, but the traffic will load up on the LA side of the Grapevine, from suburban commuters.

I live on the other side of the basin, so my numbers are based on the westbound traffic flow, not the southbound flow - but I would guess that if you left after 7:30 or 8 am, you'd get through the grapevine and then be (hopefully) hitting the suburbs after traffic's done.

Adrienne

erinzgirl
05-01-2007, 03:09 PM
:D
Thank you so much! It's tidbits like that that can make ALL the difference for a drive! Especially with a two year old.
Many thanks!!!!:D