PDA

View Full Version : Favorite things to do in the parking lot?

Pages : [1] 2

jcruise86
04-23-2007, 03:18 PM
What are your favorite things to do in Disneyland's parking lot?

In all honesty, it's my least favorite land (despite the colorful characters that adorn the signs). We don't spend too much time here, but here it goes:
1. I like to park.
2. I like to look at the signs of the characters on the signs that tell me the row I've parked in.
3. I actually can't think of a number 3.

crrees
04-23-2007, 03:27 PM
enjoying the cool breeze? the messed up hair?

Gone2Disneyland
04-23-2007, 03:27 PM
First, LOL on choosing the parking lot as our next destination, jcruise86. :p

My favorite things to do if I have to do anything in the Mickey & Friends parking structure...

1. If I have the option, choose the inside (right side) lane taking the ramps to the upper levels. That takes me at least one row deeper and closer to the escalators to find a parking space.
2. Watch the "Remember..." fireworks show from the stairwells facing the park
3. Remember to take the Disney Way entrance into the M&F structure to avoid the usually crowded Disneyland Drive entrance. I frankly haven't done this that much; it's a suggestion some AP friends recommended I do and apparently they like to use it when arriving at the park on weekend mornings when it can be busy.

bloodnswash
04-23-2007, 03:52 PM
Can't stand the parking lot! Used it 3 days for an unexpected 3 night trip to Disneyland in February 2006 (last opportunity to see POTC before they changed it). Because it was last minute we didn't find a hotel nearby......had to drive from Knott's Berry Farm area. Also used it one day with my sister (we wanted to hit the park before we went to our hotel). At times it seems very scary (when late at night) and too many of the people who ride the shuttle are soooo not very nice......

All other visits we get a hotel very close to the park(s) and walk. No driving until it is time to head back home. :)

simnia
04-23-2007, 04:45 PM
What are your favorite things to do in Disneyland's parking lot?

Which parking lot? Mickey & Friends, Timon, Simba, Pumbaa?

Mickey & Friends Parking Structure is pretty cool. Did you know there's a car for each of the main characters (such as Mickey) parked in a regular car space somewhere in that building? At least that's what one Internet site said, and they had one photo. So someday that will become an interest of mine: searching down all the character cars and documenting their location and taking pics.

I like the bamboo that grows in the center of the structure: it looks like a Japanese garden. I also like the breezy feel at the top of the building, where all the birds roost in the morning, and where there are great views down into backstage areas. If you have a telephoto lens, it's fun to snoop like that, and to walk around the edge for an aerial tour of Anaheim.

Other ideas I haven't tried: have a Coke from one of the Coke machines that are on every floor, have a picnic under the trellis on the top level, ride the escalators up & down, wave at the security cameras, ask questions of every CM that passes by on the way to work, feed the pigeons, ride the tram back & forth, watch the fireworks...

Bluesky
04-23-2007, 08:24 PM
Nothing I feel too comfortable sharing here. Has to do with a VW Vanagon & dark window shades...

jcruise86
04-23-2007, 08:33 PM
Nothing I feel too comfortable sharing here. Has to do with a VW Vanagon & dark window shades...
Bluesky, DON'T DO DRUGS!

Bytebear
04-23-2007, 08:34 PM
I like to watch the fireworks from the Minnie (top) level. I just wish they would pipe in the music. I also love it when I end up parked close to the escalators.

Mermaid
04-23-2007, 08:54 PM
I like to feel bad for the people who are parked in 1K (is that the section?). The worst I have ever been parked is 2J and that was pretty darn bad. It is like the lottery as you go up that ramp and see where they will put you!

MiaTurner
04-23-2007, 09:30 PM
Uh.... ride the tram I guess :) That's where you get the most anticipation about the day ahead of you.

Bumbershoot
04-23-2007, 10:15 PM
Um, I like to park in the parking lot! :) That is about it!!! :D

TikiBird27
04-24-2007, 06:47 AM
OK, this thread actually made me laugh out loud, which is rare at this time of the morning for me!

I like to take a picture if we get an awesome spot! And I like to listen in on other guests' plans for the day. :)

yohomama212
04-24-2007, 07:17 AM
Let's see... listen to DH gripe cuz Mom wants to park in M&F, listen to Mom gripe cuz DS wants to go down the escalator with DH instead of wait forever for the elevator, listen to the other guests gripe cuz it seems only one elevator is working at a time at M&F. Manditory potty break once we're all at ground level, then Mom trying to work out a new plan for boarding the kids and strollers once it's our turn to board the tram but discovering we fall into the same routine that has worked pretty well for the last four months.

Liz :cool:

Tinkermommy
04-24-2007, 08:05 AM
1. Backing out of a parking space in the exit lane after a parade or fireworks let out. This is particularly exciting when there is a van, truck or SUV on each side of you -- and it's available on all levels! More thrilling than Tower of Terror!

2. Playing the Ladies Room Guessing Game. Since the doors remain closed even when the stalls are unoccupied, you can play this two ways. You can walk the length of the bathroom bent over, looking under each door for feet (my preferred method). Alternatively, you can aggressively attempt to force open every door as you walk along until you find one that opens for you (apparently everybody else's perferred method).

3. Returning to the structure late at night, preparing to take the escalator up to the highest levels, and discovering that the "up" escalators have been shut down at this peak time. It provides a better workout than a Stair Master (you can enhance the effects by carrying packages, small children, strollers -- or all of the above), and the uneven-ness of the stairs at the highest levels makes it your last thrill ride of the day! (Of course, if you're not careful, it could be your last thrill ride for a verrrry long time...):p

4. My personal favorite: the Merge of Death! Upon exiting the parking structure, after you've been forced toward the I-5 lanes to the left, close your eyes, step on the gas, and make the merge of death across five-ish lanes of traffic to make the right turn onto Ball Road. (Avoid looking over your shoulder at the oncoming traffic; it has the same effect as the goat on Thunder Mountain!)

Enjoy!:eek:

tunaman68
04-24-2007, 08:09 AM
4. My personal favorite: the Merge of Death! Upon exiting the parking structure, after you've been forced toward the I-5 lanes to the left, close your eyes, step on the gas, and make the merge of death across five-ish lanes of traffic to make the right turn onto Ball Road.

Wow, and I thought it was just me!! LOL - Last time we were there they had cones all the way down to Ball preventing us from having the last thrill of the day. :(

potzbie
04-24-2007, 09:09 AM
:) :) :)

• We take the personalized tour. Don't miss the security monitor room.

• We eat at Luigi's Spaghetti on the Goofy level; but Esmerela's Tea Room on Daisy level offers a great view of the Disneyland maintenance yards.

• Instead of the escalator or the elevator, the kids alway take the fire pole down.

• Find out at City Hall when the Security Princess is out for autographs and photo ops.

Which reminds me of the old joke about teenagers.

'"She's at that awkward age -- she like to park -- but doesn't know why."
:)

Koukla
04-24-2007, 09:47 AM
Wow, and I thought it was just me!! LOL - Last time we were there they had cones all the way down to Ball preventing us from having the last thrill of the day. :(

Host a tailgate party. . . jello shots. . . . and kinda what Bluesky said above. ;)

And noooo, that merge of death affects many! I had the same prevention cones last time I was there and somehow (I still can't figure out what I did!) I ended up on Clementine or some street driving parallel to the southbound I-5! The only thing I knew was that it was the middle of the night and I was wandering alone in unknown Anaheim territory, headed in the wrong direction. :( Lucky for me Saturn saw fit to put a compass on my Vue's rearview mirror.

simnia
04-24-2007, 10:00 AM
I ended up on Clementine or some street driving parallel to the southbound I-5!

Funny story. It would've been funnier if you'd started humming the song "Clementine" and had gotten to the lyrics: "Thou art lost and gone forever, Dreadful sorry, Clementine." :)

Bytebear
04-24-2007, 10:17 AM
4. My personal favorite: the Merge of Death! Upon exiting the parking structure, after you've been forced toward the I-5 lanes to the left, close your eyes, step on the gas, and make the merge of death across five-ish lanes of traffic to make the right turn onto Ball Road.

That's nothing. Try doing the merge of death to the 5 South from the bridge over Ball Road.

LittleArtist
04-24-2007, 10:28 AM
just enjoy seeing everyone's anticipation before they get to enter the park, especially the little kids :)

houseofmouse
04-24-2007, 10:29 AM
We go visit about twice a year from here in snowy Colorado. I always make sure I have my giant Thule on top of my Durango, that way we always park in Chip and Dale because I am too tall to park any higher!! Last year no Thule on top and I parked everywhere. I like Chip and Dale!!:)

Koukla
04-24-2007, 10:32 AM
Funny story. It would've been funnier if you'd started humming the song "Clementine" and had gotten to the lyrics: "Thou art lost and gone forever, Dreadful sorry, Clementine." :)

Ohhh my gosh, I hadn't even thought about that! You are too funny! :D I wasn't exactly in the humming mood, tho, and was alone in the car--no co-pilot. More like, oh crud, you've done it again and chosen to take the scenic route!

Many a times I've had to call my girlfriend in Chicago, who's always near her computer, to check Google Maps for me. Her 14-year-old daughter's even gotten me out of jams. But at the hour it was (after DLR closed) and the time difference b/w So Cal and Chicago, I'd still be hearing about it from her. :eek:

adriennek
04-24-2007, 10:40 AM
3. Remember to take the Disney Way entrance into the M&F structure to avoid the usually crowded Disneyland Drive entrance. I frankly haven't done this that much; it's a suggestion some AP friends recommended I do and apparently they like to use it when arriving at the park on weekend mornings when it can be busy.

This was the Tip of the Week in our March 12 Disneyland Update. (http://www.mouseplanet.com/articles.php?art=dl070312xx) ;)

Adrienne

Niwel
04-24-2007, 10:57 AM
I hate the merge of death....
My fave thing to do is get there early enough to park in Pinocchio (that way you can also leave out of the side entrance, too).

I also like to play:
- Parking Lot Booth Roulette (which ones are open and will one open while I am in line and can I get to it fast enough?)
-Can I get out the car before the family next to me?
-Is there room for one more tushie on the tram?

Tinkermommy
04-24-2007, 11:28 AM
Try doing the merge of death to the 5 South from the bridge over Ball Road.

That's the whole point of doing MY merge of death! I don't WANT to get on the 5!

I want to get on the 57...but stop at Burger King on Ball Road for my Diet-Coke-for-the-road before I do! :p