PDA

View Full Version : Favorite things to do at Disneyland at Night?

Pages : [1] 2

MermaidHair
04-23-2007, 10:33 AM
This thread is inspired by River Belle's "favorite things" threads.

I will have 3 nights in the park on my upcomming trip in August. I have never really spent time in the park at night before so I am eager to hear your favorite things to do at this time of day. Of course fireworks and Fantasmic are on the list but are there any other "must do" things?

bloodnswash
04-23-2007, 10:38 AM
Thunder Mountain at sunset.

Matterhorn when it's dark. And the Jungle Cruise.

Splash Mountain has a great view whether it's afternoon or evening (evening is fun cuz you get to see all the lights from the park).

Mrs Mouse
04-23-2007, 10:50 AM
I'll second bloodnswash's opinion - many of the rides take on a whole new feeling once the sun goes down. The views that the "thrill rides" provide are just beautiful!

Definately do the Fantasyland side of the Matterhorn. It's got a great view, and it's even more exciting at night. The Storybook Land Canal Boats also feel completely different in the dark; all of the little scenes light up and it just looks so neat! Jungle cruise is great too, it kind of has a bit of a creepy feeling to it at times, just drifting through the dark jungle.

If you're looking to relax a little bit more, Mainstreet is, of course, gorgeous at night. Do a little shopping and just enjoy the ambience.

Also, if you time it just right on Splash Mountain, you can see all of the boats lining up for Fantasmic (right after the drop, when you come around that curve near the end). The last time we went, we were waved to by a penguin! Only in Disneyland!! :)

cillydznygirl
04-23-2007, 11:00 AM
Fantasmic for sure. Especially sitting next to someone who has not seen it before. Listening to their oohs and ahhs is priceless.

bloodnswash
04-23-2007, 11:04 AM
I forgot one. I don't know why but hubby and I LOVE Casey Jr. Train when it is dark......in the caboose facing backwards. Love it!

yohomama212
04-23-2007, 11:10 AM
Of course, fireworks and Fantasmic are manditory! I like the back parts of Fantasyland, it's less busy and much quieter back there. I prefer Jungle Cruise at night, and the Tiki Room too! It's all very different! A stroll with my sweetie along the ROA is also nice!

Liz :cool:

Niwel
04-23-2007, 12:13 PM
Night rides: Storybook, Jungle Cruise, Astro Orbitor, Matterhorn, Tower of Terror, HM or POTC (if only because your eyes adjust easier) and if you can only do one: Big Thunder! :)

I also love to go to the court of angels and snuggle with my sweetie...

kranders
04-23-2007, 01:17 PM
If it's running at night get on the Mark Twain and take a night cruise.

NoCalDad
04-23-2007, 01:37 PM
If you exit Innoventions at the right time, you can watch the fireworks from the second deck "exit". These's also a great view of the park from up there. I especially like the "tumbling Mickey" neon on the Star Traders Store. I wish I was going 2-nite.

orangechicken
04-23-2007, 10:17 PM
Just sitting in front of the castle, eating a brownie sundae, and people watching as everyone heads home for the night...simple but fun!

Bumbershoot
04-23-2007, 10:18 PM
I love to ride Big Thunder Mountain at night. You can see the lights in the park and it's darker on the ride. It is super fun.

MermaidHair
04-24-2007, 12:49 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions! Too bad I can't be there TONIGHT to start using them!:p

futurecm21
04-24-2007, 03:08 PM
My favorite rides at night are;

Pirates of the Caribbean, because you don't feel like you've gone inside when you board your boat in the Blue Bayou. Its just an awesome feeling

Indiana Jones, for basically the same reason. The torches look so cool, and the dimly lit hallways are awesome to walk through.

Also, I don't know why but I love Astro Orbiters at night. Typically thats the last ride we as a family go on.:)

futurecm21

Susan L
04-24-2007, 05:11 PM
We like doing all the rides at night and of course the fireworks.

Sora62
04-24-2007, 06:23 PM
In MK I love to watch the parade from Splash Mountain- because nobody's riding it (all watching the parade), so the line is super-short, and seeing those lights from that height for a split second is GORGEOUS. Also, after the parade, take a while to shop on Main Street. The lighting and old shop style is awesome.

FantasmicFan82
04-24-2007, 08:02 PM
I forgot one. I don't know why but hubby and I LOVE Casey Jr. Train when it is dark......in the caboose facing backwards. Love it!
cause you can make-out back there (i've done that) :D

Just sitting in front of the castle, eating a brownie sundae, and people watching as everyone heads home for the night...simple but fun!
Coffee and Churros (yes, at least 2) for me. Try waving at people that glance at you. they're tired and too confused to know why you're doing it.

MrTomMorrow
04-24-2007, 10:48 PM
Watch the fireworks!

And see the pretty castle lit up at night.

Jiminy Cricket (in Spectromagic) says nighttime was Walt's favorite time in the park...

HudsonHawk
04-25-2007, 05:05 AM

You big kids!!!

HudsonHawk
04-25-2007, 05:07 AM
If you exit Innoventions at the right time, you can watch the fireworks from the second deck "exit". These's also a great view of the park from up there. I especially like the "tumbling Mickey" neon on the Star Traders Store. I wish I was going 2-nite.

Excellent idea, thanks!!

MrsPooh
04-25-2007, 08:21 AM
The Matterhorn at night, especially when the fireworks are going off. Very magical. We spent our 14th anniversary that way, very romantic.

Jungle Cruise too.

I am dying to try Storybook Land at night.

Clotho
04-25-2007, 11:06 AM
Astro Orbiter--the only time I ride this is at night. I WISH it were back up on the platform, because THAT view at night rules. I used to love the skytram and the PeopleMover for the same reason.

I love finding someplace I can eat outside at night--like French Quarter--and sit and enjoy a meal while people watching and seeing all the evening lights make everything so romantic...

I love Adventureland at night in general. It feels so mysterious and exotic on a new level with the torches and the light streaming out of the shops.

I love shopping Main Street at night. Something about the inviting warm light spilling onto Main Street. And there is a somewhat sleepy air starting to take over--the mix of people making their last purchases of the day before going home, lazily walking hand-in-hand or slowly pushing their strollers because they are tapped out.

And I agree about Pirates at night--it adds a whole other level of immersion and escape since it is nighttime "for reals". ;)

I have never managed to do a night Jungle Cruise and it has long been on y list!

And for us, we head out to DTD to grab a late meal, share a bottle of wine, hear the street performers...night has ALWAYS been my favorite time at ANY amusement or theme park--there is just so much magic in the way things light up the dark...

Disney_Nut
04-26-2007, 04:42 PM
Being in Main Street when they turn on the lights.
The first time I went on Storybookland Canal Boats was at night. When I was on it during the day, it didn't seem right, so I only go on that ride at night.
Being in FL, with the carousel all lit up is a special moment for me.

wabby1
04-27-2007, 12:08 PM
I love the DLR at night. Great lights.....people views.....I like to take a couple of laps even. Very relaxing after a long day at the park.....

avalosn
04-27-2007, 12:19 PM
Just take it all in.....

thmar
04-27-2007, 05:41 PM
The Tea Cups are pretty cool at night with the lanterns overhead lit up...heck everything is pretty cool at night...have FUN!