PDA

View Full Version : Mike Fink Keelboats

tommorwlandfan
06-13-2002, 02:10 PM
When are the Mike Fink keelboats going to reopen?

Disney Nick
06-13-2002, 02:30 PM
How do I break this too you... oh well, best to say it bluntly. NEVER :D. They have been removed from Disneyland indefinitely.

zapppop
06-13-2002, 02:39 PM
If it makes you feel any better you can see 2 of the boats backstage if you take the monorail into the park from Downtown Disney. They look pretty dirty right now. In a few days ( probably monday or tuesday ) I'll post a pic of them.

Uncle Dick
06-13-2002, 03:50 PM
The fact that the boats are sitting back by Indiana Jones in a fairly intact state bodes well for the possibility that they may reopen someday. Generally, scrapped attractions find their way to Disney Auctions or are just put out of their misery altogether. Perhaps the Rivers of America will be restored for the 50th anniversary celebration (complete with burning cabin and Mike Fink's Keelboats).

JeffG
06-13-2002, 06:37 PM
One of the boats was sold on Disney Auctions a few months ago.

-Jeff

Rallymonkey23
06-13-2002, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by Uncle Dick
(complete with burning cabin and Mike Fink's Keelboats).

Speaking of the burning house. Why did they put the fire out?:confused:

MonorailMan
06-13-2002, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by Rallymonkey23

Speaking of the burning house. Why did they put the fire out?:confused:

Broken Gas Line. Going to be fixed next rehab of river. :)

zapppop
06-13-2002, 08:12 PM
I heard it was cause someone was decapitated

cemeinke
06-13-2002, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by MonorailMan

Broken Gas Line. Going to be fixed next rehab of river. :)

Actually you can see where the gas main has broken. Go by the Fry cart on the Big Thunder Trail and take a look at the RoA, you'll see the gas bubbling to the surface. I believe Fantasmic! helps burn off some of the gass that accumulates on the river.

This is the "Obviously False Rumour" thread, right?

Nigel2
06-13-2002, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by JeffG
One of the boats was sold on Disney Auctions a few months ago.

-Jeff

Ohh more like I year ago I think, mabey even longer.
One of the reasons that probably lead to the closure was that towards the end there were a few too many accidents (we hit a tree!) and also the final nail in the coffin was the boat tipping over.:D

tinkfreak
06-13-2002, 09:38 PM
But if one of them was sold, why are they both still sitting there?

Nigel2
06-13-2002, 10:36 PM
Probably the same reason the parade floats just sit there, they don't know what to do with them outiside of junking them.

Darkbeer
06-13-2002, 10:57 PM
They also used to have the Keel Boats at WDW... but shortly after the infamous accident at Dl in 1997...

http://www.yesterland.com/keelboats.html

They stopped offering the Keel Boats at WDW....

So, the boat auctioned on Ebay might have been an WDW boat.

Nigel2
06-13-2002, 11:01 PM
Hmmmm, someone said that they might be back at WDW this summer.

I wonder if the fact that a boat like that has no set track damaged the underwater stuff from Fantasmic at DLR. But since WDW doesn't do it on their ROA they don't have to worry about hitting those.

tommorwlandfan
06-14-2002, 09:54 AM
According to WDW, the Keelboats operate in the Summer.

Matterhorn Fan
06-14-2002, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by tommorwlandfan
According to WDW, the Keelboats operate in the Summer. According to whom? Can you cite a source on this and/or provide a link? I just checked out the Official Site (http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/waltdisneyworld/parksandmore/attractions/attractiongroupingindex?id=MKAttractionsAttGrping) and they don't list the keelboats as an attraction.

tommorwlandfan
06-14-2002, 12:32 PM
Walt Disney World's Official Web Site says that the Mike Fink Keelboats are open seasonally. I also called guest relations and they said at some point this summer, tey will reopen, but only on super busy days. I will post the website. The attraction is closed forever at Disneyland.

tommorwlandfan
06-14-2002, 12:35 PM
Check out my WDW discussion post for the website.