PDA

View Full Version : Is Disneyland still littered with sponsored rides?

Pages : [1] 2 3

santoanderson
04-18-2007, 03:10 PM
This is something that even bothered me as a kid. Why is there a big Energizer logo above the Star Tours entrance if it has nothing to do with Star Wars? And what does AT&T have to do with Indiana Jones? The big question is, is Disneyland still using sponsors or have they abandoned that concept in order to keep with the theme?

Maybe some people like them, heck the Carnation Cafe is so named for a sponsor, but I just feel that the Eisner era (it's over! :D) went after whatever pennies they could grasp, and started putting sponsors on rides that seemed out of place.

Mark Mywords
04-18-2007, 03:16 PM
Actually, sponsoring goes back to the very beginnings of the park. Walt had to rely pretty heavily on outside funding to get Disneyland built. One of the first Tomorrowland "Attractions" was the Crane Company's "Bathroom of Tomorrow". Sounds exciting, doesn't it? :fez:

Sponsorships at Dland are usually done pretty tastefully, so it's never bothered me.

santoanderson
04-18-2007, 03:25 PM
Hmmm, Bathroom of Tomorrow? Did it have a TV in it?
I don't know. It always took me out of it to have some seemingly unrelated sponsor for a ride. And I can honestly say I've never felt compelled to by a product because I saw it's billboard at Disneyland.

Bytebear
04-18-2007, 03:34 PM
What I don't get, (ok, I do get that license agreements are still in place) is why Buzz Lightyear isn't sponsered by Energizer.

And I do still miss the AT&T sign at the exit of Indy, just because I rode it so much at the tme the sign was up.

crrees
04-18-2007, 03:35 PM
I dont think advertising works to compel you to buy a product immediately, its the underlying association of the name with where you saw it. And its not so obvious as "I see the batteries at the store, i saw them at dland, i want them" its..."hey batteries, i recognize the name energizer...i remember seeing that somewhere important...must be a good brand, im buying that".

im not an advertising major or buisness major but i think thats the gist of what they are getting at.

DangerMouse
04-18-2007, 03:35 PM
Wasn't the pirate ship in FL sponsored by Chicken of the Sea?? I don't care who sponsors the ride, as long as it is a well-done ride and maintained well.

Bytebear
04-18-2007, 03:40 PM
I believe it was the original pirate ship at DL in Fantasyland (where Dumbo is now).

Mark Mywords
04-18-2007, 03:53 PM
I dont think advertising works to compel you to buy a product immediately, its the underlying association of the name with where you saw it.

Good point. A great example is the old "Monsanto's House of the Future" attraction. I never think of it as just "House of the Future". Monsanto is indelibly tagged on in my mind.

bloodnswash
04-18-2007, 04:17 PM
I saw an old picture the other day from when Small World opened at DL in 1966. There is a big sign that reads: "it's a small world" presented by Bank of America.

santoanderson
04-18-2007, 04:20 PM
That just seems so tacky to me.

TikiBird27
04-18-2007, 05:20 PM
Whenever I see Dole canned pineapple or juice at the store, I always think of the Tiki Room and the pre-show pineapple film in the Enchanted Garden. :) It's definitely a happy association.

I say, hooray to Dole for giving my favorite attraction some support! (Of course, I like to think that MY personal support of the Tiki Room means just as much to the company...but I'm glad they can hand over the money.)

darph nader
04-18-2007, 05:28 PM
Actually, sponsoring goes back to the very beginnings of the park. Walt had to rely pretty heavily on outside funding to get Disneyland built. One of the first Tomorrowland "Attractions" was the Crane Company's "Bathroom of Tomorrow". Sounds exciting, doesn't it? :fez:

Sponsorships at Dland are usually done pretty tastefully, so it's never bothered me.

bigugly is right on the $$$. Walt would have a sponsor sign a 5 yr contract (1st and last years up front) Nobody thinks twice about sports arenas being sponsored.:rolleyes:

GrouchoMarx
04-18-2007, 05:35 PM
Please correct me if I've misunderstood, but you don't seem bothered by food sponsorship, e.g., the Carnation Cafe. Perhaps you're not bothered by the Coca-Cola logo on the drinking cups either. So what, in your opinion, is the difference between sponsoring a ride/attraction and being the beverage or food sponsor?

MermaidHair
04-18-2007, 05:42 PM
Good point. A great example is the old "Monsanto's House of the Future" attraction. I never think of it as just "House of the Future". Monsanto is indelibly tagged on in my mind.

Me too! Monsanto sponsored Adventure through Inner Spacetoo. When I was a kid we just called that ride "Monsanto," Never AITS. In fact, if you asked my sister today she probably would not know what you meant by ATIS.

santoanderson
04-18-2007, 05:43 PM
The Carnation Cafe doesn't bug me because I don't use Carnation name brand *anything*. In fact, trolling the boards today I found out that it was named for the sponsor and was never changed back because it's a nice name. Coke is a little different, because chances are you're drinking coke (or a coke product) from the cup. These are trivial, mundane items, beverages and sandwiches. But when I enter Indiana Jones, I want to forget that it's a ride. I leave behind the real world and enter an imaginary one, and then all of a sudden I feel like I'm getting hit up by AT&T. It kind of screws up the total immersion.

jcruise86
04-18-2007, 06:12 PM
Interesting thread!

As the (hopefully ironically named) "bigugly" wrote, "sponsoring goes back to the very beginnings of the park."

For me, Walt Disney represents capitalism at its creative best, and getting other corporations to join in was part of his genius. I have always enjoyed the corporate inclusion--especially in Tomorrowland. At WDW's GE CoP and RCA's Space Mtn., the big business connection made Walt Disney World seem more important to me. And I like having Dole be part of the Tiki experience.

hlbtimes2
04-18-2007, 06:13 PM
What I don't get, (ok, I do get that license agreements are still in place) is why Buzz Lightyear isn't sponsered by Energizer.

I'm guessing Energizer didnt want to cough up the millions it costs to sponsor the ride. Sponsorship does not come cheap.

santoanderson
04-18-2007, 06:17 PM
Buzz Lightyear definitely could of used it, because it fits. Ya know, if a bullwhip company were to sponsor Indiana Jones, be my guest. Just make sure it fits.

Maybe I'm so bitter about sponsors because Tommorrowland's always been littered with sponsors from 20 years ago and it just adds to the disgust. (Keep in mind it's been 5 years since I've been there.)

petesimac
04-18-2007, 06:42 PM
Yeah, I actually miss RCA being the sponsor of WDW's Space Mountain. They had the dog and the master's voice statue at the beginning of the queue area. I miss Welch's Grape Juice in Fantasyland as well. If it's done right and if it at least makes sense, I don't mind it. Eastern's If You Had Wings was great too. There's a number of them.

Another Dimension
04-18-2007, 07:22 PM
If it wasn't for the sponsors, Tomorrowland 1955 would have been even more barren and weak than it was.

If it wasn't for the sponsors Disneyland would have never been on TV being hyped for a full year before Walt opened it.

If it wasn't for the sponsors, It's a Small World, Great Moments with Mr Lincoln, the Carousel of Progress and even more future Disneyland attractions would have never existed.

If it wasn't for the sponsors, Disneyland would have never been built.

Without the sponsors, none of us would be here on this board sharing our love for Disneyland.

:)

DisneyDustin22
04-18-2007, 07:43 PM
I just ignore it.

Plus it's not like you go running through the park saying, "What time are our Fastpasses for Indiana Jones presented by AT&T?"

hbquikcomjamesl
04-18-2007, 07:43 PM
About the only example of tasteless, tacky sponsorship I can think of, in nearly four decades since the earliest trip to Disneyland I can actually remember, was when General Electric was sponsoring the Main Street Electrical Parade, and put their logo on BOTH the bass drum AND a cart that replaced the "rope" at the end of The Parade.

Every other example of sponsorship I've seen has been subtle and tasteful.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
04-18-2007, 09:17 PM
I just ignore it.

Plus it's not like you go running through the park saying, "What time are our Fastpasses for Indiana Jones presented by AT&T?"

I do! :D

adriennek
04-18-2007, 09:58 PM
Uhm, "Club 33" anyone? ;)

:sigh: Kids these days - Star Tours, presented by M&Ms

I do! :D

Choose Wisely... AT&T ;)

And of course, if the Tiki Room weren't sponsored by Dole what would there be for all those Dole Whip fans to bond over??

Adrienne
who votes "it's really not a big deal..."

PanFan
04-18-2007, 10:21 PM
From what I've heard from other CM's, Innoventions has a sponsor (though I can't remember who at the moment and I'm too lazy to look it up right now), and that's why their CM's get paid more. That doesn't make sense to me, since I'm sure Autopia CM's don't get any more with Chevron as their sponsor (though it's almost up) or IASW CM's when Mattel sponsored them. Regardless, I see it as a necessary evil. Yes, it does take a bit away from the magic (though it's often well-disguised--I still like reading "Real rewards await those who choose wisely" in Mara font!), but without it the park wouldn't be what it is today. I'll gladly listen to the announcement for "Remember...Dreams Come True, presented by Honda" and "Walt Disney's Parade of Dreams, presented by Sylvania, a Siemen's company" if it means I'm getting the level of quality entertainment they provide.