PDA

View Full Version : Tree Limb Falls on Person Riding Boat at Disneyland -- ABC7

Pages : [1] 2

SpacedOutCM
04-18-2007, 12:24 PM
It is a windy day here in Anaheim and apparently a tree or a tree branch has fallen and possibly hit a passenger

ABC 7.com has a article on it.
http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=local&id=5222314

Andrew
04-18-2007, 12:33 PM
Tree Limb Falls on Person Riding Boat at Disneyland (http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=local&id=5222314) -- ABC7, 2007-04-18

Anaheim Fire officials say a tree limb fell on a passenger who was riding a boat on the Jungle Cruise ride at Disneyland on Wednesday.

Officials say the person suffered minor injuries in the incident, which happened at 12:40 p.m.

Editor's note: Thanks to MousePad member SpacedOutCM for the news link.

Animalia
04-18-2007, 12:38 PM
Wow! It happened at 12:40 and it's only 1:30 now. Does ABC have people watching Disneyland waiting for an accident to happen or something?

Andrew
04-18-2007, 12:42 PM
Wow! It happened at 12:40 and it's only 1:30 now. Does ABC have people watching Disneyland waiting for an accident to happen or something?
I wouldn't be surprised. At the very least they, along with every other news agency, monitor public safety radio frequencies. So when AFD was called out to the park, that ABC7 newsvan was right behind.

santoanderson
04-18-2007, 12:43 PM
It's possible that someone called a relative on their cell phone, who in turn called ABC.

bloodnswash
04-18-2007, 12:45 PM
Did ABC7 beat the fire truck?! I'm being sarcastic :)

GrouchoMarx
04-18-2007, 12:48 PM
Last line of the online news story:
Disney is the parent company of ABC7.

Probably doesn't hinder their ability to get news quickly from DL.

geoffa
04-18-2007, 01:25 PM
Did ABC7 beat the fire truck?! I'm being sarcastic :)

Surely the "ambulance chasers" (lawyers) were the first to get there!:rolleyes:

jillshumway
04-18-2007, 08:24 PM
yesterday when we rode the monorail I noticed there was a news truck parked with the police cars and ambulences I think they are just stationed there.

potterphreak
04-18-2007, 08:58 PM
I'm at DL now!! Was there yesterday and will be there tomorrow as well. I didn't hear anything about this while at the park today!! LOL It IS kind of windy tho. Nothing like home (Modesto) tho. WOW!!

Autopia Guy
04-18-2007, 10:31 PM
Yes, Jungle closed today because of that. It opened again though. Common, a tree limb falling in not that bad or rare of an occurrence. It just happened to be at the exact moment that a boat was under it. I really hope that skipper plays the lotto. He made some CRAZY odds there.

I cant see OSHA closing the ride for any real reason for this event. And I hope that all they do is maybe have horticulture go through and trim back some of the sagging or dead branches. Do a little trimming to be preemptive for the next windy day we have, but no massacre of the trees in the attraction.

Katlovett
04-19-2007, 07:23 AM
Surely the "ambulance chasers" (lawyers) were the first to get there!:rolleyes:

Why the unprovoked attack on lawyers? I didn't see any mention in the news report that she had been contacted by an attorney before the emergency medical team reached her.

Is your hostility because you don't think injured people should be reimbursed for their medical bills and their pain and suffering when their injuries are caused by the negligence of others? This particular woman may have a good case if it turns out that the branch fell as a result of poor landscaping maintenance (part of Disneyland's bigger issue concerning failure to adequately fund park maintenance.) However, it seems unlikely Disneyland's insurance will voluntarily pay her medical bills and compensate her for her injury unless she hires a lawyer to file a claim.

Necks and spines are vulnerable. An impact from a tree limb which is hard enough to leave a scrape may cause muscle strain/sprain and microtearing of the ligaments. (See http://www.spineuniverse.com/displayarticle.php/article815.html for further information on this sort of injury.) I hope she is okay and that she doesn't bring home a permanent scar or chronic neck pain as a souvenir.

Katprint

simnia
04-19-2007, 07:26 AM
Common, a tree limb falling in not that bad or rare of an occurrence.

Old Palm Tree's always looking for a neck out? :)

snappy
04-19-2007, 08:29 AM
I could swear that NEWS about Disneyland or Disney in general get's posted faster than it happens in real life! I think the post of the falling tree got posted as the wind blew and fell on the guest. Wow, keep up the good work.

backsthepack
04-19-2007, 09:12 AM
I find it amazing that someone would actually agree to go to the hospital over being scraped by a tree limb. I realize lawsuits were not "mentioned".....but you so know that that is where this is leading. We are a sue happy nation, always looking to blame others for everything.

SactoGuy
04-19-2007, 09:35 AM
Oh man two years ago i was at California Adventure and someone got hit by one of the ladybug cars in the electrical parade and there were seriously six lawyers on the guy within minutes... before the Disney paramedics could get there with their cards out and telling the guy not to say anything!

snappy
04-19-2007, 10:02 AM
I find it amazing that someone would actually agree to go to the hospital over being scraped by a tree limb. I realize lawsuits were not "mentioned".....but you so know that that is where this is leading. We are a sue happy nation, always looking to blame others for everything.

They Sue and we pay. Not fair. Isn't there a release on the back of the ticket stating that Disney is not responsible for injuries and stuff. Something like what they have on Baseball tickets or any sporting event. I hope they don't sue. We all lose in that situation.

Katlovett
04-19-2007, 10:03 AM

Whether or not to go to a hospital might depend on how bad the scrape that resulted from the "saw toothed frond" was, don't you think? Also, could you explain why you think the injured woman was to blame for her own injury?

Katprint

bloodnswash
04-19-2007, 10:27 AM
"Also, could you explain why you think the injured woman was to blame for her own injury?"

Who said she was to blame for her own injuries? Did I miss something along the way in my reading of posts here??

"Isn't there a release on the back of the ticket stating that Disney is not responsible for injuries and stuff. Something like what they have on Baseball tickets or any sporting event." Yeah, but I don't think that necessarily means anything. I used to work at an exotic bird store. We had contracts for when we sold birds. Even though people read and signed the contracts, the owners still ended up being sued several times.

backsthepack
04-19-2007, 01:46 PM
Oh please! I am not saying she is responsible for her "injury". Not once did that come out of my mouth.

I am just saying that everyone is looking to sue someone for everything all of the time.

kiwifuz
04-19-2007, 02:58 PM
I think that waiver on tickets ends up not applying to things that are out of the ordinary. Kind of like a tree falling on someone.

Any way, I feel bad for this girl, imagine the attention she'll get now. Wrong place wrong time.

cstephens
04-20-2007, 06:19 AM
I am just saying that everyone is looking to sue someone for everything all of the time.

Actually, no, not "everyone", and not "everything" and not "all the time".

Tinker Bell
04-20-2007, 08:28 AM
She most likely went to the hospital on Disney request. I know when my DD fell out of bed at the Disney hotel. They wanted us to go get xrays. So we went and sure enough she broke her collar bone. It did not seem like much to us cause she said it just hurt alittle bit. My Sis was one of those people that fell in Tomorrow Land at the water area before they took out the water part. They wanted her to go get xrays. But she rather be at DL. She was fine. They gave her a wheel chair for the day so she would be relaxed. I think Disney ask people so they can cover there back side. But you also got to think if that branch was came from up top thats a long fall and last I check branches are not soft as pillows.

tinker3
04-20-2007, 09:39 AM
I was at DLR in May of 2001 when a huge tree in Frontierland fell and injured 29 people. I was in the baby care center with my son and I came out and there were helicopters everywhere. It was kinda scary and nobody around knew what was going on. It is a little crazy that the news can be on the scene before people at the park even have a clue what's going on.

Katlovett
04-20-2007, 06:12 PM
She most likely went to the hospital on Disney request. I know when my DD fell out of bed at the Disney hotel. They wanted us to go get xrays. . . . I think Disney ask people so they can cover there back side. But you also got to think if that branch was came from up top thats a long fall and last I check branches are not soft as pillows.

The irony of risk management is that many companies without attorneys believe that if they aid people who are injured on their property, who may file a claim against them, that their offer to pay for medical treatment will become an "admission" of fault. To the contrary, the California Evidence Code says that an offer to pay for an injured person's medical treatment CANNOT be used to establish fault for the accident against the good samaritan making the offer. However, if the injured person refuses medical care at the accident scene but then subsequently files a lawsuit claiming to be injured, the good samaritan can introduce evidence that their offer to provide medical treatment was rejected (which implies that the injury was insignificant or that the person was later injured some other way.) Also, juries are compassionate human beings whose emotions are influenced by whether or not the defendant behaved compassionately as well. If they like the defendant and they don't like the plaintiff, then they award little money if any.

Plus, my experience of 10+ years in the insurance defense field is that lawsuits are a huge hassle and most people just want to heal up and get on with their lives. Probably 99% of people who file insurance claims just want to be reimbursed their health insurance copayments and their lost earnings if they couldn't work, but if the insurance adjuster is unreasonable and they have to hire an attorney then they need the "pain and suffering" money to pay their attorney's fees in order to break even.

Big companies like Disney, Walmart, Sears etc. that can afford comprehensive risk management consultations generally end up with procedures where injured people are given vouchers for medical treatment at the company's expense. And really, who can argue against injured people receiving medical treatment?

Katprint