PDA

View Full Version : Age/size to row the canoes

Pages : [1] 2

IdahoMike
04-18-2007, 09:48 AM
When we go again in June, I actually want to go on the canoes (have never done them in 5 trips to DL!), and I was wondering, how old/tall do you need to be to go on them? I have boys that are 4 and 6, and I didn't know if they'd be able to go on, or be able to handle the paddling. I looked on the DL website, and it doesn't say anything except "guests must be ambulatory"

Anyone taken little ones on the canoes, and how little were they?

thanks,

bloodnswash
04-18-2007, 09:54 AM
I went to the DLR website and there isn't any age or height listed:

* This attraction closes at dusk.
* Guests must be ambulatory to experience the attraction.
* Wheelchair Access: Proceed to the attraction exit via the ramp next to the lower-level stairs of Hungry Bear Restaurant. Contact a Cast Member for boarding instructions.

Guests must negotiate steps when boarding and disembarking the canoe. Guests must maintain their balance when stepping in or out of canoe.

petesimac
04-18-2007, 09:57 AM
I went to DL for the first time back in 2002, and my son and daughter, then ages 9 and 6 each participated. It was fun.

bloodnswash
04-18-2007, 10:05 AM
I know I've actually seen some pretty small kids doing the canoes. I think you will be ok. You could possibly call the park and ask them for some more info concerning this ride. LOL, I've only done this ride once. I paddled the entire time......my arms were killing me by the end :cool:

Malcon10t
04-18-2007, 10:21 AM
If I remember correctly, they will have the little ones put life vests on. I've seen little ones on the ride. I remember taking my sibs when they were 3-6 years. (But this was also 25 years ago.)

vicbella2
04-18-2007, 10:34 AM
We did this last Aug and this Feb. In Aug, ds was 8 and dd was 5. In Feb, ds was 9 and dd was still 5, but we also took our niece who just turned 4 that week. The 2 little ones wore life vest, i don't remember if my ds needed to wear one. Everyone had a fun time. My niece did it twice on that trip she enjoyed it so much. I don't think the 2 girls rowed much, but they did try. After a while the oar got to heavy and we had them hold it on their laps rather than bumping oars withthe person in front and behind them.

yellowrosedtxn
04-18-2007, 11:05 AM
I know in 2005, my dad, the kids (ages 8, 9 and 13) went on the canoes and had fun. There were some smaller kids on that canoe with us. It was fun. The kids got tired so the adults did more of the work.

hlbtimes2
04-18-2007, 11:12 AM
Dh took Harrison on them when he was 3 1/2. They do have live vests.

adriennek
04-18-2007, 01:37 PM
I can't remember which of my children it was, but I took a very young kid on the canoes, once - I want to say he was 2 or younger - definitely "toddler" age.

Adrienne

gloria
04-18-2007, 02:40 PM
I think my boys were 3 and 4 (and my kids are small for their age!) Boy, I was scared as heck! But I plan to take my 3 yr old daughter when we go in November.

gloria

futurecm21
04-18-2007, 02:50 PM
I believe that just about everything said here is right.

Kids will be allowed on the canoes but they will have to wear life jackets just in case the canoe tips, which is very rare.

As far as paddling goes, no one will yell at you if the kids can't do much of it. The two guides can do allot of the work, and any other adults on the trip should serve as adequate propulsion.:)

futurecm21

Malcon10t
04-18-2007, 03:16 PM
I believe that just about everything said here is right.

Kids will be allowed on the canoes but they will have to wear life jackets just in case the canoe tips, which is very rare.As one who has kids, I think I can safely say the reason for the life vests is not so much in case the boat tips, but more for if the kid jumps out, slips and falls out, or other stuff like that.

gloria
04-18-2007, 04:09 PM
ok, i'm a VERY over-protective parent (and who isn't?) but really...you have to be PRO-active when you have children...

reminds me of a story...when my husband and i were going through counseling before marriage (required as catholics), we discussed the fact that i am not worried about HIM driving as i was worried about OTHER drivers. i knew he was a safe driver, but what about the OTHER drivers on the road? just because he knew what he was doing does NOT mean that others do!

you can only teach your children to be safe...blah...blah...blah...but there are others (please see thread "when a guest ruins your ride") who could care less about others and only care about themselves, and see how pro-active you have to be to keep your children SAFE (which is the only important thing you have to WORRY about since getting pregnant!)

gloria

i love my children...and that's why i take them to disneyland.

MickeyDogMom
04-18-2007, 04:13 PM
As far as paddling goes, no one will yell at you if the kids can't do much of it. The two guides can do allot of the work, and any other adults on the trip should serve as adequate propulsion.:)

futurecm21

Well, no one yells at kids but when you get six adults just along for the ride, dragging thier paddles in the water to slow us down, you might get yelled at. Even a Sunday school teacher may be forced to splash them a little [true story].

bloodnswash
04-18-2007, 04:26 PM
The one time I went on the canoes pretty much nobody in the canoe rowed except for me and the other 3 in my party. My husband and I were in the very back; the last seat before the cast member's seat. As we were coming back in that cast member thanked my husband and I for helping out the entire time. He said it's not very often that the guests actually paddle. On that sa,e ride we also had some kids that were dragging their paddles in the water. When they weren't doing that they went out of their way to hose me, my husband, and the cast member down (it was a chilly day). After several times of this my husband finally nailed them back with a splash of water. LOL, the kids behaved after that and the cast member thanked my husband.

Mermaid
04-18-2007, 05:49 PM
That's why I hate the canoes and avoid them like the plague. I come to Disneyland to have fun, not get a workout!:p

Back on topic- I have seen many young kids on the canoes so take your kiddos and have fun! I will watch from the river's edge!

IdahoMike
04-19-2007, 08:19 AM
Thanks for all the replies! We are definitely going to give it a shot. My boys are more worried about dropping their paddles in the water than anything else, but they can just hold them in their laps in that case. Now, if I decide to do the Maliboomer this time around, there will be no attraction that I haven't done other than Orange Stinger (Doesn't interest me, plus I am over the weight limit)

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
04-19-2007, 09:00 AM
I know that my kids went on them when they were 2, maybe even under 2. I think as long as they can sit in the seat, and the life jacket fits, they are good to go. My boys, now 5 and 3 1/2, love to try to row. Usually that means the poor person sitting behind them is going to get a little wet.

duneprincess82
04-19-2007, 09:51 AM
I was at the park last night and happened to see the sign....no age limit, but children under 6 need to wear life vests.....

futurecm21
04-19-2007, 03:00 PM
Well, no one yells at kids but when you get six adults just along for the ride, dragging thier paddles in the water to slow us down, you might get yelled at. Even a Sunday school teacher may be forced to splash them a little [true story].

Right, my point was that the kids can mostly just sit back and enjoy the ride.

The big muscular people, like myself and most of you can do the work.

Common, just once a day during your visit, burn of the fat you get from dole whips and churros!:)

futurecm21

Malcon10t
04-19-2007, 05:43 PM

Common, just once a day during your visit, burn of the fat you get from dole whips and churros!:)

futurecm21Dole whips and churros are calorie free, fat free and carb free!!!

MickeyDogMom
04-19-2007, 06:50 PM

I agree, it's not much work in reality. I really just get in the line to check out the guys who run the boats, always at least one cute CM there.

The adults, especially the big ones, need to do a little something. I've always wanted to get a college rowing team to come with me and see how fast we could get those things to go.

dznyphreak
04-22-2007, 11:06 PM
Hey...just recently became a CT CM at DL. (i.e. I work Spring, Summer, and Winter Breaks) Apparently, there's an annual CM canoe race held before the park opens some summer day. Sounds like fun!

MickeyDogMom...since I work in NOS, our break area is shared with the Canoe CM's. I can say that they're genuinely nice people. You'd think they'd complain about the oar-draggers (c'mon...you know you've done it ;) ), but they don't. Wouldn't want to get on their bad side, though...

Vegitabeta
04-23-2007, 03:40 AM
I've never been on the canoes, but I just love to see people on them when there's the Columbia behind them...There's like a 'row for your lives!' kinda thing about it:)

lauramaynot
04-23-2007, 10:05 AM
I would love to see a sign on the canoes..."This is not a free ride. If your over 10 years old and intend on riding you will be expected to paddle your weight."

My DH took our three kids last fall and when he got off he was pretty POed that there were FIVE adults just sitting there with their paddles in their laps the whole ride. Our kids were 6, 8, and 10 at the time and paddled the whole way since that was deal dad made with them...He told them that if they didn't paddle they would NEVER do the canoes again...LOL!