PDA

View Full Version : Where to eat outside of Disneyland?

Pages : [1] 2

webmomma
04-17-2007, 03:14 PM
Our first night in Anaheim we will be looking for a good place to eat dinner in the DL area. We're staying at a hotel that is within walking distance to DL. I know Mimi's is close but we're not big fans of it....have been to it twice in Phoenix and didn't care for it. I'm interested in a family-friendly restaurant that is not terribly expensive. Is there any good pizza place nearby? What about Tony Roma's....have never eaten there before. Thanks in advance for your advice!

backsthepack
04-17-2007, 05:08 PM
Just don't eat at that Captain Kids (or whatever it is called...icky). There is a little pizza stand at the Ramada Inn Maingate, which is on Harbor south of the main entrance to Disneyland. ANyway, we have bought pizza there before and it was really good. We were quite surprised. We just took it back to our room.

LUV_U_MICKEY
04-17-2007, 05:11 PM
I am not sure where the best places to eat around the park are, but I am sure DTD would be cool. I know that for our first night there we are going to try the International buffet and grill. I seen a few pics of it on Darkbeer's site and thought it looked promising. Check out the menue here or just search through Darkbeers pics to find out more.
http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/gallery/1151153#53691604

simnia
04-17-2007, 05:20 PM
Just don't eat at that Captain Kids (or whatever it is called...icky). There is a little pizza stand at the Ramada Inn Maingate, which is on Harbor south of the main entrance to Disneyland. ANyway, we have bought pizza there before and it was really good.

I've eaten at Captain Kidd's twice, and it's nowhere near as bad as the MousePlanet reviews say. Just stay away from the buffet if you value your health. I've also eaten at Saga Pizza at Ramada Maingate, I had a toasted submarine sandwich there, and was quite satisfied, though I threw away most of the tiny, hard, unappetizing pretzels they gave me with the sandwich.

Lots of places at Downtown Disney, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian Hotel too. Or just check out MousePlanet's DLR area restaurant reviews...

http://www.mouseplanet.com/cgi/reviews/do/find.cgi?product-category=Disneyland%20Resort%20%2F%20Restaurants

Malcon10t
04-17-2007, 05:32 PM
Our first night in Anaheim we will be looking for a good place to eat dinner in the DL area. We're staying at a hotel that is within walking distance to DL. I know Mimi's is close but we're not big fans of it....have been to it twice in Phoenix and didn't care for it. I'm interested in a family-friendly restaurant that is not terribly expensive. Is there any good pizza place nearby? What about Tony Roma's....have never eaten there before. Thanks in advance for your advice!We love Mimi's, but other options, depending on what you like. Tony Romas is ok, not as good as other TRs. Rain Forest in DTD is ok. Outback and Joe's Crabshack are just down the road if you want to take ART or a cab to eat. Denny's is decent. I too vote to avoid Captain Kidd's at all costs.

Micki0624
04-17-2007, 08:06 PM
I would go to DTD or one of the Disney hotels if your looking for something in walking distance.

If you have a car and can drive I recommend Mrs. Knotts and Angelo and Vinci's. Both are w/ in 10 minutes, depending on traffic.

JohnGar
04-17-2007, 08:13 PM
Across from the southwest corner of Disney's property, we like Tiffy's, on the corner of Disneyland Drive (West Street) and Katella. Very family friendly with decent food at fair prices.

jcruise86
04-17-2007, 10:14 PM
We love Mimi's. . .
I'm with Malcon10t!
Just don't confuse my beloved Mimi's with the (from what I've read) awful Millie's next door.

webmomma
04-18-2007, 06:12 AM
My kids will be thrilled that there is a big chinese buffet nearby. My 8yo loves sushi! So where exactly is this place? Also, I think we might be there the same time as you. We will be there April 25-28. You?

webmomma
04-18-2007, 06:14 AM
I am not sure where the best places to eat around the park are, but I am sure DTD would be cool. I know that for our first night there we are going to try the International buffet and grill. I seen a few pics of it on Darkbeer's site and thought it looked promising. Check out the menue here or just search through Darkbeers pics to find out more.
http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/gallery/1151153#53691604

My kids will be thrilled there is a chinese buffet! My 8yo loves sushi! So where exactly is this place? Also, I think we might be there the same time as you. We will be there April 25-28? You?

kranders
04-18-2007, 06:25 AM
My kids will be thrilled there is a chinese buffet! My 8yo loves sushi!
Unforunately I don't think you will find any sushi there. It's Japanese.

The old man
04-18-2007, 06:36 AM
My kids will be thrilled that there is a big chinese buffet nearby. My 8yo loves sushi! So where exactly is this place? Also, I think we might be there the same time as you. We will be there April 25-28. You?
What's sushi have to do with Chinese?

webmomma
04-18-2007, 06:41 AM
What's sushi have to do with Chinese?

I'm not a sushi expert, but it sure looks like sushi to me in this picture.
http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/gallery/1151153#53695988

Or are california rolls not considered sushi? Whatever.....chinese, japanese, sushi or not. . .my kids love this kind of buffet. So thank you to LUV_U_MICKEY for the suggestion.

Stupid_American
04-18-2007, 06:56 AM
Is there any good pizza place nearby?

Across from the southwest corner of the resort, at Walnut and Katella, is Marri's Italian.
We often pick up a pizza on our way home from Disneyland.

Malcon10t
04-18-2007, 07:19 AM
Across from the southwest corner of Disney's property, we like Tiffy's, on the corner of Disneyland Drive (West Street) and Katella. Very family friendly with decent food at fair prices.OMG, OMG, NEVER! Tiffy's is on our "Avoid at all costs" list. We ate there in July 2005, and it was soooo gross. Many of us are trying to figure out how they stay in business.

Now, Coco's across the street from Tiffy's was very good.

adriennek
04-18-2007, 07:33 AM
I've eaten at Joe's Crab Shack and I don't need to ever do that again. (VERY LOUD, long wait, not great service, food was eh and I felt sick driving home.)

I've eaten at Buca de Beppo. Eh. I have BdB issues.

There's a Red Robin in that same general area of Harbor Blvd (south near the Hyatt) but I wouldn't call it walking distance necessarily and the parking is really bad.

There's a Coco's at Katella and West/Disney Dr (near Paradise Pier Hotel) and it was fine when we went there last month.

Adrienne

The old man
04-18-2007, 08:01 AM
I'm not a sushi expert, but it sure looks like sushi to me in this picture.
http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/gallery/1151153#53695988

Or are california rolls not considered sushi? Whatever.....chinese, japanese, sushi or not. . .my kids love this kind of buffet. So thank you to LUV_U_MICKEY for the suggestion.
Note it's called an "International Buffet". Sushi, and especially California Rolls, are not Chinese.

snappy
04-18-2007, 08:08 AM
If you have transportation head to Knott's Berry Farm for the Fried Chicken Dinner. Dinner for adults I think run about $12.00. You do get a lot of food for the price. Enjoy.
Or:
Head down to the BLOCK in orange (about 3 miles south of Disneyland) which is an outdoor shopping area with lots of good places to eat! Lots of kid friendly places too. Have a great time.

Bytebear
04-18-2007, 08:41 AM
OMG, OMG, NEVER! Tiffy's is on our "Avoid at all costs" list. We ate there in July 2005, and it was soooo gross. Many of us are trying to figure out how they stay in business.

My partner, a former CM of 11 years, tells me when a guest was particularly difficult or obnoxious, the CMs would make sure to encourage Tiffy's as a nice off-site restaurant. Call it a Mouse Tale, if you will.

hbquikcomjamesl
04-18-2007, 08:49 AM
I haven't had Knott's chicken in over a decade, but if it hasn't changed, then it's among the best fried chicken available anywhere at any price.

Another possibility is a Carrow's on Harbor, a few blocks North, maybe halfway to Anaheim Ice (which used to be Disney Ice).

One place I do not recommend is the Denny's that's directly across Harbor from DLR. It's constantly crowded, but it isn't an especially good Denny's.

Or you could always eat at any of serveral places in DTD.

simnia
04-18-2007, 09:08 AM
Is there any good pizza place nearby?

I forgot about Big's Pizza & More, which is at 1027 S. Harbor Blvd., conveniently just a few businesses north of Ball Road. I had the buffet there but the buffet pizza was dry and lousy, and they make you get a new tray from the cashier each time you go back, which is a subtle form of discouragement from eating too much of their food. Therefore I was really disappointed in the place, not to mention having to listen to incessant video game music the whole time. But maybe somebody had a better experience there; it's quite possible a regular (non-buffet) pizza might be good there. I just thought I'd mention this place, due to its convenience.

The old man
04-18-2007, 10:20 AM
I haven't had Knott's chicken in over a decade, but if it hasn't changed, then it's among the best fried chicken available anywhere at any price.

I wish it was. Then I wouldn't have to travel back to the Chicago area to eat at White Fence Farms.

Duane
04-18-2007, 10:40 AM
I suggest "Naples" in Downtown Disney for excellent Pizza. Be sure to make a dining reservation to be safe.

acpalmer
04-18-2007, 05:37 PM
Then I wouldn't have to travel back to the Chicago area to eat at White Fence Farms.

Derailing a bit, but we have White Fence Farm here in Denver, too, and that would be closer than Chicago. Just FYI if you're ever in the neighborhood ;)

PirateSmile
04-18-2007, 09:32 PM
I like everything surrounding it but the IHOP across the street. Everytime we've eaten there we've got food poisoning.