PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Things to Do in New Orleans Square?

Pages : [1] 2

River Belle
04-17-2007, 12:30 PM
I've loved reading everyone's responses to the previous two threads!!! Hope you'll stick with me as we travel through the park...
Next Stop: New Orleans Square! What are your favorite things to do?

For me, it's taking a sunset sail on the Mark Twain Riverboat (and just hearing that whistle blow!), standing near the Rivers of America at night and listening to "Swanee River," eating pancakes at The River Belle Terrace, and, the obvious--riding POTC.

jazzysmom
04-17-2007, 12:57 PM
I love to eat at the Blue Bayou and take pictures in the alcove with the staircase. It is always pretty and sometimes even peaceful in there.

grimgrinningirl
04-17-2007, 02:41 PM
Besides the rides, getting a mint julep and fritters and walking through the back streets looking in the store windows.

Pat-n-Eil
04-17-2007, 02:59 PM
Of all the areas of Disneyland, New Orleans Square seems to be the place where I just slow down and relax. I love the ambiance of that area. Even when it is busy, I find I can find a corner or a quiet area to take in a store, photo spot or just absorb the area. I like how you can hear conversations & sounds coming from upstairs near the restrooms and the down time when we had our kids pastel portraits done a few years ago.

I was looking at some home video the other day of this event - and though the kids were antsy to go do something else, I could feel that same peacefulness that I enjoy.

Of course, you have to go to PotC when you are there and maybe take in a bite.. When I think if enjoying Disneyland, New Orleans Square is definitely one of the areas that pops into my head first.

Another Dimension
04-17-2007, 03:05 PM
Besides the cool architecture, always wonderful atmosphere and the awesome attractions of course, my all-time favorite thing to do in New Orleans Square is/was... listening to some great jazz.

Back when Disneyland actually booked jazz band(s) for the jazz capitol of the West..., New Orleans Square.
1997 - 2005 were really great years in NOS.

Now Disney books many great bands in DtD that are free to see...
and thinks it's cool to charge Disneyland Guests more $... for much less live entertainment.

:rolleyes:

TDA = thick

olegc
04-17-2007, 03:08 PM
if I have lots of time - Breakfast at Cafe Orlean's on the patio (watching the activity of the river and the people). Remember - New Orleans has a HUGE identity around food.

Not too much time - sipping coffee and listening to the atmosphere.

Avoiding - pirate band

What I miss - the Bayou Brass Band.

bloodnswash
04-17-2007, 03:28 PM
My favorite things in New Orleans Square is: doing the Balcony for Fantasmic, eating at The French Market. I lived in Louisiana for 3 years when my husband was in the Air Force. We went to New Orleans a couple of times. DL's NOS actually gives me the feel of being back in Louisiana (minus the humidity and the stink). I also love to see the ladies boots hanging from the railings at Xmas time. Club 33 when we get the opportunity. NOS is my favorite part of the park. And of coarse the Haunted Mansion....and POTC :) LOL, I think it would be best for me to answer with what I DON'T like about NOS.....being packed in like sardines.

santoanderson
04-17-2007, 03:33 PM
I just love the atmosphere there. It has the only shop at Disneyland that I can handle. There's a little shop right outside Pirates that sells faux dublunes, eyepatches, glass trinkets, etc. It feels old and authentic. That and, I just like the smell of pirates (the ride!, not bucaneers in general. Whew, good thing I caught that in the edit). Weird, it's probably the most disgusting water on the planet, but I like that chlorinated water, humid air feeling.

futurecm21
04-17-2007, 05:54 PM
Yeah!! I was waiting for this one!

New Orleans Square is totally my favorite land in Disneyland.:D

I just realized that technically pirates of the Caribbean is in New Orleans Square in Disneyland, not Adventureland like I said in the last favorites thread, sorry. As I mentioned that is deffinately a favorite.

The Haunted Mansion can't be beaten. I mean common, its just pretty much the best theme park ride ever built!

I love eating at the restaurants that have views of the Rivers of America. Watching the Twain and the Columbia go by is really amazing.:)

futurecm21

Gone2Disneyland
04-17-2007, 05:55 PM
INext Stop: New Orleans Square! What are your favorite things to do?

Heading to Café Orleans on a Friday evening after work to meet up with friends there for dinner. We do that about once a month.

Riding Pirates of the Caribbean.

Mickey Mouse pancakes on a weekend morning, sitting outside with a full view of the Rivers of America and NOS.

Visiting the balcony at The Disney Gallery on an afternoon for the view.

simnia
04-17-2007, 06:05 PM
Julep and fritters, yeah, definitely that! And Haunted Mansion is a given.

OK, I'm perverse. One of my favorite things to do in New Orleans Square is to walk into the *exit* of Pirates of the Caribbean, slowly make my way toward the unloading dock, then take endless photos of the Blue Bayou, whether by videotape or by still camera. The trees, the Spanish Moss, the moored boats, the restaurant lanterns, the fireflies, the upwards boat ramp, the white trellis, the control tower, everything. Love that area. Same with the Blue Bayou Restaurant: I ask if I can go in for a while just for photos, and then photograph everything in sight. Of course I ride Pirates, too, and eat at the restaurant, too, but inbetween I might as well get my photo ops for free. Can't get enough of that Blue Bayou.

PirateSmile
04-17-2007, 07:16 PM
I love it there. It's my favorite area :) I just like walking around it.

The Blue Parrot
04-17-2007, 10:19 PM
This was just one of those areas that really made a visit to the Park all the more special.

For years, I had a tradition of stopping in at Pieces of Eight to get my fortune read (card) from Fortune Red. Like the other Pirate Arcade machines, he's been retired now. Made way for more merchandise.

A couple of other places I always shopped:

The One Of A Kind Shoppe, Le Gourmet, The Hat shop (before pins - still shop there now), La Petite Patisserie (when it was open!), and the Perfume shop. Always love the scent my wife created on one of our early visits to the Park. She still has a small amount of it left.

And yes, many fond memories of real jazz greats at the French Market. Nights with Teddy Buckner and his Jazz All-Stars, enjoyed with fritters and Disneyland Mint Juleps.

disneyshoes
04-18-2007, 07:44 AM
During the day I love drinking a Mint Julep while listening to music, shopping and getting ready for Haunted Mansion.
During the night...riding Pirates then eating at the Blue Bayou!

Katran
04-18-2007, 08:18 AM
Aside from riding Pirates and HM over and over (and over and over) again, I love to just sit in the courtyards away from the crowds. When the queue area of HM is hope, I like to sit in there as well and just listen to the music (though it hasn't been open my last two trips there).

bloodnswash
04-18-2007, 09:32 AM
Sitting on the benches by the water fountain is always nice. That's a very pleasant spot for a little break.

IdahoMike
04-18-2007, 09:36 AM
Well, of course we love riding Pirates and HM over and over, but I also love to just stroll down by the water, looking at all the sights and sounds, and people watching. I also love all the little shops that are tucked in the back streets. The jazz music is awesome as well. I really love the outdoor queue area of HM too, lots to look at.

Disney_Nut
04-21-2007, 09:17 AM
Riding POTC and HM of course.
Strolling through the back street, listening to the jazz bands, taking in the atmosphere.

One of my favorite memories of NoS, is when I was walking through there at about 10am, and there wasn't a single other guest there. Just 3 or 4 CMs, and I had the whole land all to myself. :) I walked all the way down to HM, before I saw another guest.

yohomama212
04-21-2007, 09:51 AM
Riding POTC, riding POTC, riding POTC, uh... riding POTC and then maybe just maybe riding POTC!

I was into pirates before Pirates was cool! Seriously people, get your own obsession!

I also like riding HM (DH's fave ride, but he likes it more as HMH). DS always has to inform us as we're entering the elevator that he's not going to "scream like a girl"!

And I love sitting on the ROA waiting for F! and listening to the Jambalya Jazz Band play from the TS raft!

My current goal is to get to the park on a "quiet" day, sit near the train station, and listen to the voices coming from the hotel.

Liz :cool:

Mr.Abominable
04-21-2007, 11:41 AM
My favorite thing to do by far, is visit Club 33! Just don't get to do it often enough. :)

raediance
04-21-2007, 11:50 AM
POTC and the Gallery (I think that's in NOS). Now that I think about it, I spend a lot of time just sitting around in NOS.

bloodnswash
04-21-2007, 04:15 PM
"I was into pirates before Pirates was cool! Seriously people, get your own obsession!"

I've been into Pirates since 1972 (4 years old). How about you?

MiaTurner
04-21-2007, 06:08 PM
It's a tie between two things; I couldn't possibly choose.

First off is getting a milk and a mickey cripsy treat from the Blue Ribbon Bakery and dashing back to New Orleans Square to snag a front-row center seat for Fantasmic. (It's tradtion; I can NOT watch Fantasmic without a mickey treat and milk ;))

Second is going to the Haunted Mansion, whether it's waiting in line, riding it, or just sitting outside of it and watching it.

I don't think there's anywhere else in the world that I feel more at peace at than those two :) New Orleans Square is definitely my laughing place.

mommy-san
04-21-2007, 07:16 PM
I just love the atmosphere there. It has the only shop at Disneyland that I can handle. There's a little shop right outside Pirates that sells faux dublunes, eyepatches, glass trinkets, etc. It feels old and authentic. That and, I just like the smell of pirates (the ride!, not bucaneers in general. Whew, good thing I caught that in the edit). Weird, it's probably the most disgusting water on the planet, but I like that chlorinated water, humid air feeling.

Ah, a kindred spirit. I also love the feeling that engulfs you as you leave pirates and emerge into the street (especially the feel of the humid night air).
I really feel transported to New Orleans- well, it's as close as I'm sure I'll ever get to N.O. in real life.
And Mickey Beignets. mmmmmmmmm.

MiaTurner
04-21-2007, 08:50 PM

Just caught this post and hafta say I LOVE that smell :) Everytime I catch it somewhere else I think Disneyland.