PDA

View Full Version : What's a good hotel?

lauras5boys
04-17-2007, 09:00 AM
We live near Disneyland but for my husband's birthday we often get a babysitter for the kids and go to a hotel for a day or two. We often stay near Disneyland and have an adult day there. We've done all the Disney hotels but I'm wondering what is a really nice hotel nearby. It doesn't have to be super close but walking distance would be nice. Any suggestions?

simnia
04-17-2007, 09:25 AM
We've done all the Disney hotels but I'm wondering what is a really nice hotel nearby. It doesn't have to be super close but walking distance would be nice. Any suggestions?

People always seem to ask this question without describing their tastes. Do you like modern places, or older ones with history? Big or small? Themed or unthemed? What price range or degree of luxury? What do *you* consider "walking distance"? Any special needs like Internet, jacuzzi?

DangerMouse
04-17-2007, 09:52 AM
For just you and your dh, I'd suggest the Candy Cane. Walking distance, dedicated shuttle, decent breakfast. :D

jeffthechef
04-17-2007, 10:28 AM
On the high end, the Hilton and Marriott next to the convention center are very plush.

jazzysmom
04-17-2007, 01:01 PM
I absolutely love the Howard Johnson. Very clean, good prices, nice and close with great food near-by (Mimi's).

adriennek
04-17-2007, 03:13 PM
DON'T go to the Hilton. BLECH. The rooms are small, and the floors are huge so you can end up hiking forever to get to your room. Plus, they notoriously overbook and I've been there when they've sent overbooked guests to properties a mile away!

The Marriott is loverly. Great comforters, clean rooms and it is a bit of a walk but, IMO, it's walking distance for adults. I'm a big fan. Be prepared: They're doing construction to their convention center/ballroom area on the north end of the property.

The property just south of the Hilton is now a Sheraton. (It's changed owners several times but it's the tall hotel just south of the Hilton, right on Harbor, near Katella.) The rooms have been renovated in the past few years (I haven't stayed there since the renovation,) and it's even closer than the Marriott.

ETA: A little more budget minded, we've stayed at the Hojos for the past few MouseAdventures when it was just Doc & me and it's not fancy-shmancy but it's nice and the location is very convenient.

Adrienne

Malcon10t
04-17-2007, 05:40 PM
On the high end, the Hilton and Marriott next to the convention center are very plush.I wouldn't classify the Anaheim Hilton "plush". The rooms are small, the baths are small with the sink inside the bathroom (which is a hassle in a small bath to begin with!) The double rooms have double beds (as opposed to queens in most othe locations.) We have stayed here many many times, and used to only stay on teh executive floor, but as the kids got older, and I started needing more space, we outgrew it. (Also, management went downhill.)

PirateSmile
04-17-2007, 06:15 PM
We really like the Candy Cane. This year will be our fourth year in a row staying there. The rooms aren't big but they're cute and homey. You get standard amenities. The beds are super comfortable. The shuttle is really convenient and runs every thirty minutes or so. The walk to Disney isn't that bad at all, maybe 10-15 minutes tops. Staff is nice too.

If you want a closer distance, the Best Western across the street is pretty nice. The Carousel Inn was pretty nice too, but that was 7 years ago, don't know how it is now.

The Anabella Hotel is also really nice, but the shuttle is one of those Anaheim ones and is always super busy. The walk is pretty far too, not an unwalkable distance but still pretty long. If you don't mind those setbacks the hotel is really great.

tod
04-17-2007, 07:14 PM
Another vote for the Candy Cane Inn. The tod Family has stayed there several times and we have always enjoyed it.

We have also stayed at the Disneyland Hotel, the Grand Californian, the Paradise Pier (that was before Disney bought it), the Park Place, and Raffles. For our money, the Candy Cane is the best value of them all.

--t

bloodnswash
04-17-2007, 07:35 PM
We have stayed at the Candy Cane Inn many many times. My sister introduced us to it. We, too, give it a thumbs up. We have stayed at all the Resort Hotels. But lately, we've actually been staying at the Holiday Inn over by the big huge parking garage (you can get great rates if you book in advance online. And we love the walk through Downtown Disney). But I don't think this is what you are looking for this go around :)

Wherever you stay......have a wonderful time!

Malcon10t
04-17-2007, 09:22 PM
The Anabella Hotel is also really nice, but the shuttle is one of those Anaheim ones and is always super busy. The walk is pretty far too, not an unwalkable distance but still pretty long. If you don't mind those setbacks the hotel is really great.
The Anabella is very nice. The walk is about 20 minutes at a brisk pace. Or at least brisk for me. One draw back of this place during the summer?? They have put in energy savers. So, every 20 minutes or so, you have to swipe your room key to keep the AC running. They do it so people don't leave it running while they are at Disney so they can come back to a cool room, but on a hot night, it really is irritating.

mamatojade
04-18-2007, 07:25 AM
I'm glad to hear these things about the Anabella. I was a bit worried about the dichotomy of reviews on TripAdvisor about it.

DisneylandForever
04-18-2007, 07:31 AM
Based on the scenario you described, I'd have to say the Candy Cane as well.

lauras5boys
04-18-2007, 08:14 AM
I just booked the Candy Cane Inn. Thank you so much for all of your suggestions.

Crazy4DL
04-18-2007, 08:15 AM
I just booked the Candy Cane Inn. Thank you so much for all of your suggestions.

You will enjoy it. We have stayed there twice - 9 days last August and 5 day last Dec - and really enjoyed it. Have a great time. :)

mad4mky
04-18-2007, 08:22 AM
We have enjoyed staying at The Hyatt Regency in nearby Garden Grove on our last 4 visits. :)

They have their own shuttle (vs the stupid ART)...and the rooms are clean, spacious...and the beds glorious. :)

going2disneyAZ
04-18-2007, 09:32 AM
We have enjoyed staying at The Hyatt Regency in nearby Garden Grove on our last 4 visits. :)

They have their own shuttle (vs the stupid ART)...and the rooms are clean, spacious...and the beds glorious. :)

Another vote for the Hyatt Regency. My wife actually walked it to the parks several times pushing a stroller. It is a bit far for walking but it is walkable.