PDA

View Full Version : Feet [blister prevention]

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

jazzysmom
04-16-2007, 12:02 PM
Ok, so how do you keep your feet happy during a long trip to Disneyland? I have tried tennis shoes, Crocs, Birks etc, and after a few days, I still have blisters. Do I need different socks? Or just different feet? :eek: If you have a kind of sock you love, I would sure like to hear about it. Any and all suggestions welcome! Even the sarcastic ones.:D

Bytebear
04-16-2007, 12:06 PM
I never get blisters, but I do take a couple pain relievers (advil) around noon, which keeps the dogs from barking later that evening.

VWCat
04-16-2007, 12:14 PM
I'm gonna buy some of those fancy socks that keep the feet cool and dry...

stan4d_steph
04-16-2007, 12:14 PM
Have you tried Body Glide (http://www.bodyglide.com/skin/skin.html)? You can get it at running stores, and some sporting goods stores. I used it during my marathon training, and it worked really well to prevent blisters.

CariBelle
04-16-2007, 12:16 PM
I usually wear flip flops but if I MUST wear real shoes to Disneyland (or any other heavy walking activity) I wear two pairs of socks just like Coach Wooden says :fez:

Malcon10t
04-16-2007, 12:22 PM
I wear cotton socks (nylon tends to blister) and good comfy shoes.

bloodnswash
04-16-2007, 12:24 PM
I don't get blisters on my feet. Maybe that's because I walk 3 miles a day? Anyhow, when I go to DL I used to wear tennies. My feet would hurt so bad at the end of the day. Almost 2 years ago I started wearing Reef flip flops. OH MY GOSH, they are the comfiest things that I have ever put on my feet!!! My husband has tender feet like you wouldn't believe. I had him bring his Reef's on a summer DL trip last year. His feet did great! My husband now takes his Reef's on every DL trip.....even if it's in the winter. If you give these a try make sure you get the ones that have the wide straps.

hlbtimes2
04-16-2007, 12:26 PM
Dont wear new shoes- wear shoes that are broken in, but not broken down!

Wear shoes that have some room in them- not big and sloppy, but not tight. The last time I tried to wear "walking shoes" (Nike) my feet hurt so bad. But, wearing my keds that fit loose, my feet were fine. Make sure your toes have room to spread and move, and that there is room if your feet swell from heat.

Wear good absorbent socks.

Change shoes mid day. I like to wear my keds part of the day and my tevas part of the day. This trip I'll work my croc's in to the rotation as well.

Use mole skin on spots that get sore before they turn into full blow blisters.

stan4d_steph
04-16-2007, 12:29 PM
I wear cotton socks (nylon tends to blister) and good comfy shoes.Actually cotton are the worst. They get wet and the moisture stays next to your skin.

yenko427
04-16-2007, 12:36 PM
I believe it is Band-Aid brand that sells like bandaids specifically for blisters and protecting them from getting bigger and worse. My DS used these on our last trip (so did I) and they worked great.

jeffthechef
04-16-2007, 12:45 PM
I bring 2 pairs of tennis shoes and wear one during the day, then switch for the second half of the day. Also, switch to a fresh pair of socks halfway through the day:fez:

Bytebear
04-16-2007, 01:03 PM
If you are prone to blisters, take band-aids and check your feet often, and cover the start of a blister with a band-aid.

IdahoMike
04-16-2007, 01:11 PM
I think a lot of it must have something to do with a person's natural walking motion. I wear regular old tennis shoes and cotton socks and never get blisters, but I know others who take a lot more precautions and always seem to get blisters. I would definitely agree with the sentiment about not wearing brand new shoes though!

Lani
04-16-2007, 01:14 PM
I'm not a doctor and don't play one on TV.

That said, there are a couple of causes for blisters: Sweat, and rubbing the skin the wrong way.

You might want to be as proactive as possible. That includes:

- Wearing comfortable shoes that BREATHE. I'm sorry to say, Crocs can't be good since even with those tiny vent holes the shoes are basically just plastic and they don't allow your feet to breathe.

- Avoid wearing full leather shoes. Consider open-toed molded sandal-shoes from companies like Teva, or running shoes with mesh tops that allow your feet to breathe.

- Consider spraying your feet with anti-perspirant spray. Yup, believe it or not, if you can minimize perspiration on your feet it will keep sweat down to a minimum. You can also use foot powder as well.

- Wear double-lined socks. You can either wear two pairs of what they call "sock liners" (very very thin socks), or buy "anti-blister" socks, which are essentially two liners sewn in as a single sock. Avoid cotton socks, like Steph said. Look for Coolmax; it breathes, dries quickly, and wicks moisture.

- Know where your trouble spots are, and wear band-aid bandages on those locations before the blisters form. This is a pro-active method, and it keeps the skin intact should a blister form. You can use expensive blister-blok bandages or just wear regular ones.

- Carry spare bandages with you for when you need to replace the old ones when they get gunky.

- Carry a little pin with you for when you need to pop your blister. You can use the tip of a small button like a MousePlanet button; just make sure to clean it a bit with soap (or use a lighter) first to disinfect quickly, and make sure you clean your foot quickly afterwards). You can swab with toilet paper if you don't want to go to First Aid.

Keep those feet happy!

Andrew
04-16-2007, 01:19 PM
You can use the tip of a small button like a MousePlanet button
Multipurpose! Who knew?

I wear two pairs of socks and sprinkle some foot powder in the sock before I put them on. Combined with very well broken-in boots, I rarely get blisters.

hbquikcomjamesl
04-16-2007, 01:30 PM
1. Regarding Crocs, yes, they do breathe, if they're fitted properly. That is, as the web site recommends, EXTREMELY loose, with the upper almost or completely clear of the top of the foot while standing, and the sole almost or completely clear the sole of a raised foot.

2. Yes, full leather shoes breathe. By "full leather," I mean REAL leather uppers and full Goodyear-welt REAL leather soles (with either natural cork or an open-mesh foam for filler). As in no plastic or rubber at all, except for the heel. They are in fact the only footgear that can breathe in all directions, including THROUGH the sole.

One caveat for wearing multiple layers of socks: NEVER wear more than one layer of normal-weight (or heavier) socks with ice skates of any kind. Skates must fit very tightly, and must support the ankle almost completely rigidly; wearing an extra layer of socks not only reduces the support, but turns it into what is effectively a tourniquet.

MermaidHair
04-16-2007, 02:20 PM
I agree with someone above who said some people are more prone to blisters than others because of thier walking motion. I used to be one of those people. Then I went to the Dr. and got orthotics. Yes, this is an expensive solution to your little blister problem but I LOVE mine and rarely go a day without wearing them now. If you have been thinking about orthotics, I suggest you take the plunge and break in some good walking shoes with them before you go. It could make all the difference.

Good luck!

JookyG
04-16-2007, 02:28 PM
With the exception of the times I find myself ice skating around Disneyland ;), wearing 2 pairs of socks is the best prevention I've found for blisters. It has something to do with the 2nd pair taking the friction, instead of your skin. So I typically wear a thin pair over a heavier pair, paying absolutely no attention to the fabric content, though most of my socks are cotton, or cotton/poly blends.

Anyway, I'm a very active person and use this method anytime I think I might get a blister--long hikes, walks around town, days at Disneyland, wearing new shoes. It's reduced my blister count by 95%. It really works!

mad4mky
04-16-2007, 02:39 PM
Don't by cheap shoes.

Buy something of quality, that fits properly...and you shouldn't get a blister.

I swear by Mephisto (http://www.mephistowebstore.com/) brand shoes. Pricey...but worth it. :D**

**and after 3 foot surgeries...I am picky about the shoes I wear.

Andrew
04-16-2007, 02:48 PM
Buy something of quality, that fits properly...and you shouldn't get a blister.

I swear by Mephisto (http://www.mephistowebstore.com/) brand shoes. Pricey...but worth it. :D**
Mephistos are great. I picked up a pair at a factory sale in Santa Monica in 1997 that lasted until 2005.

My favorite shoes right now are my Army combat boots, purchased from Mountain View Surplus (http://www.google.com/maps?hl=en&safe=off&client=opera&q=army+surplus&near=Mountain+View,+CA&cid=0,0,1290429969001539085&ie=UTF8&z=15&ll=37.388239,-122.089398&spn=0.016708,0.031414&om=1&iwloc=A), and my desert-style boots, from Redwood Trading Post (http://www.google.com/maps?hl=en&safe=off&client=opera&q=redwood+trading+post&near=Redwood+City,+CA&cid=0,0,5258004789943703230&ie=UTF8&z=15&ll=37.482153,-122.229742&spn=0.016687,0.031414&om=1&iwloc=A) in Redwood City.

Bytebear
04-16-2007, 03:11 PM
One other thing. If you are not an everyday walker, you might want to start a week or two before your vacation. Walk around your neighborhood for about half an hour to an hour every day. An evening stroll with your hunny is a great way to accomplish this . ;) Then you will get your feet used to it before you go all out at Disneyland. It is also a way to break in your shoes.

Lani
04-16-2007, 03:11 PM
I agree with someone above who said some people are more prone to blisters than others because of thier walking motion. I used to be one of those people. Then I went to the Dr. and got orthotics. Yes, this is an expensive solution to your little blister problem but I LOVE mine and rarely go a day without wearing them now. If you have been thinking about orthotics, I suggest you take the plunge and break in some good walking shoes with them before you go. It could make all the difference.

Orthotics are considered medical devices by some insurance plans, in which case you can save yourself a good $200-$400. Yays.

If you can't afford that, I believe you can also get custom orthotics from the Happy Feet stores. I know there are several in California.

Barring those, you can also buy sports-focused insoles to replace the cheap ones that come with regular running shoes, with brands like ShockBlocker and Superfeet. You can go to most (non-chain) locally owned running shoe stores and they can help you with the right shoes and insoles to adjust your gait.

neverlander
04-16-2007, 03:21 PM
I don't get blisters on my feet. Maybe that's because I walk 3 miles a day? Anyhow, when I go to DL I used to wear tennies. My feet would hurt so bad at the end of the day. Almost 2 years ago I started wearing Reef flip flops. OH MY GOSH, they are the comfiest things that I have ever put on my feet!!! My husband has tender feet like you wouldn't believe. I had him bring his Reef's on a summer DL trip last year. His feet did great! My husband now takes his Reef's on every DL trip.....even if it's in the winter. If you give these a try make sure you get the ones that have the wide straps.
If you're a flip flop person, I second that for Reefs! I've been wearing them for years, and I even "broke in" a brand new pair on my last DL trip. I'd just change into my old ones halfway through the day.
Any suggestions for kids' sandals? I keep myself blister-free, but unfortunately, not them :crying: !

LUV_U_MICKEY
04-16-2007, 03:25 PM
I am always walking some where and I love new shoes so I use badaid brand blister aid. It kind of looks like deoderant for blisters. Or at least a mini one. I love the fact that it feels smooth and never greasy. I have yet to get a blister on my feet since I started using it.

yohomama212
04-16-2007, 03:45 PM
I wear the $5 Old Navy sandals! I walk over a mile several days a week and I've never had extremely sore feet or legs. The one time I wore real tennis shoes, my feet were killing me! But I think for the most part this is just a result of my feet being accustomed to moving in the sandals. My only warning for anyone not used to the sandals is that they don't have great traction and I've gone slipping more than once in large puddles of water!

Liz :cool: