PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Things Part 2--Adventureland!

Pages : [1] 2

River Belle
04-16-2007, 08:47 AM
Since there was such a nice response to the Main Street thread, let's carry on through the park...

What are your favorite things to do in Adventureland?

I love when the Tiki torches are lit at dusk, and I can get a Dole Whip and enjoy it in the Tiki Room courtyard area, taking in the "pre-show."

I also love the bit of "Swiss Family Polka" that plays at the base of the treehouse and reminds me of the way things used to be...

DisneylandForever
04-16-2007, 08:58 AM
Exactly what you said.

PLUS

For some reason I love the Tarzan "loop" you can hear once you pass POTC. I visit the Disney Gallery a lot, and if I exit down the stairs on the Adventureland side, I always slow down to enjoy the loop for a few moments.

disneyshoes
04-16-2007, 09:11 AM
I love walking past Jungle Cruise and Indiana Jones at night...hearing the sounds and seeing the lights outside of Indiana Jones!

IdahoMike
04-16-2007, 09:16 AM
I love the corny jokes that are announced over the Jungle Cruise PA system from time to time.

simnia
04-16-2007, 09:49 AM
I love when the Tiki torches are lit at dusk, and I can get a Dole Whip and enjoy it in the Tiki Room courtyard area, taking in the "pre-show."

Ditto on the Dole Whip at the tiki juice stand, and the pre-show travel film in the Tiki Room courtyard. It's like going back to the '50s or '60s there, back to when Hawaii was a new state, and Hawaiiana was the hot new style, and folks returning from Hawaii would enthusiastically show you their travel films. Also the Tiki Room itself.

Now that they've torn out the big bamboo in front of the Jungle Cruise, PC-ed the shooting of those dangerous, wiggly-eared hippos, Tarzanified the Treehouse, taken out the shooting galleries, and destroyed the Tahitian Terrace, there isn't much left that I used to like, and although some of the replacements are nice, they don't quite match the style of the vintage delights.

mommy-san
04-16-2007, 09:55 AM
I just love walking thru adventure land at night. I definitely feel transported to another country when I see the Tiki torches and hear the sounds. Couple that with the wall to wall bodies, and I have just experienced a foreign marketplace!

jeffthechef
04-16-2007, 10:00 AM
The queue for Indy, both outside and inside:)

bloodnswash
04-16-2007, 10:01 AM
My favorite part of Adventureland.......this is gonna sound odd......is getting off of Indy and once you get to where the Indy line actually begins, watching everybody who just got off of the ride do the "Indy Syndrome". And for those who dont know what the "Indy Syndrome" is here is an explanation: People have just walked out of Indy and are thinking of merging into all the Adventureland traffic. But they don't. They just stand there turning their head back and forth, back and forth. LOL, blocking anybody else from being allowed to merge into the traffic of people. I laugh about this almost every time. I don't see this very often on other rides. But when I do I chuckle and say "Indy Syndrome". Oh yeah, and I love seeing Zoe, the goffin cockatoo, up in her cage above the Jungle Cruise entrance :) I have called to her before and she actually went to the side of her cage and looked down at me. She's a little cutie!

wvnative
04-16-2007, 10:58 AM
I also love walking through Adventureland at night. It just has a diffrent feel at night.

pirateabbie
04-16-2007, 11:58 AM
There is nothing better than the Jungle Cruise at night. I always try to make it my last ride of the day. I think the jokes are funnier at night as well!

PanFan
04-16-2007, 12:46 PM
Translating the messages on the walls of the Indy queue. And pointing out the hidden Mickey and Indy in the projector room to whoever's with me. And patting the boxes that say to deliver to Oxford University (I spent a term there) and Club Obi Wan.

wishIwasthe_Mouse
04-16-2007, 01:09 PM
I would say my favorite is the entrace area of adventure land. I love the waterfall between the restrooms and the torches with the skulls and shields that suround the are. It is a compleatly difrent feelfrom the rest of the park and it always makes me smile.

simnia
04-16-2007, 01:16 PM
And the bamboo at the entrance. I wonder how far back those carved initials on the bamboo stalks go.

Perhaps he know's too much.... He's seen the cursed treasure.... He knows where it be hidden....

I think that's supposed to be "ye", not "he".

CarlieB
04-16-2007, 01:33 PM
I love the feeling of immersion you get as you leave Main Street and enter Adventureland. I particularly like the different sounds you hear in Adventureland: the drum beats, the sounds from the Tiki Room. I'm also fond of the queue for Indy, and I love the Jungle Cruise (particularly at night, as others have said). The only thing I'm not so fond of in Adventureland is the inevitable pedestrian congestion.

futurecm21
04-16-2007, 02:18 PM
I like these threads, keep em coming River Belle!

What is there not to like about Adventureland? Everything about it is just so great! Me, I like the Bengal Barbecue, or did like (I heard a rumor it was closing, but maybe I'm just crazy).

I also loooove the Indiana Jones Adventure at night, it just feels so much more real when you can't see anything around you except the burning torches, the dim light inside the temple.:eek:

futurecm21

futurecm21
04-16-2007, 02:21 PM
Okay, sorry for the double post, but I thought of something else.

I love riding PotC at night, so you feel like you haven't gone anywhere when you walk inside and everything is dark. PotC is always the first ride I go on, and I try to make either it or Astro Orbiters the last of each day.:)

futurecm21

onederland
04-16-2007, 02:36 PM
our fave is the jungle cruise, we love the jokes too:D oh and the shooting gallery my kids really like to do that

MauiMickey
04-16-2007, 03:08 PM
I love the atmosphere of Adventureland. I actually feel my heart start to race when I hear the drumbeat loop playing. Of all the lands, I'd say that Adventureland is my favourite overall in regards to theming and atmosphere.

Gone2Disneyland
04-16-2007, 10:16 PM
Introducing a Dole pineapple whip or whip float to a friend who's never had one! :) Greatest feeling in the world because, so far, I'm battin' a thousand!

Mrs Mouse
04-16-2007, 10:57 PM
One of my favorites is the first Jungle Cruise ride of the trip - you're just so immersed in the atmosphere, it's perfect. I also love the feeling of exiting Indy, especially at night.

I think the best part of Adventureland is the sounds - I love the waterfall right next to the Indy entrance, as well as the music that plays throughout... I can hear the drums and flutes right now!

AKKBH
04-17-2007, 09:57 AM
Love walking thru the lights at night! POC of course--this is the place where my most vivid memories are of visiting as a kid in the 70's too!

jazzysmom
04-17-2007, 01:17 PM
Ahhh, Adventureland. Totally our favorite land. There really is nothing I don't like over there, and from the crowds I know I am not alone. We are nutso over Bengal BBQ, I love the Jasmine & Aladdin show, The Jungle Cruise, Tiki Room (dole whip) Tarzan's tree house...Indiana Jones is my favorite area in the whole park, and I love the Indy store and just wish it was bigger. I love the look, feel & even smell of Adventureland...and look how close it is until I am there!!!!!!! YEAH!!!!!!

bloodnswash
04-17-2007, 04:20 PM
In all the DL trips we have done we have never seen the Jasmine & Aladdin show. I think we will be doing it on our May 5 trip. My husband is the one that actually brought up that we should go....and we shall :)

bloodnswash
04-18-2007, 02:13 PM
I do have to mention the best time ever in Adventureland:

It was early December 2004 in the evening. There were only 4 people in Adventureland....me, my husband, our son, and my sister. We had just finished up in NOS. When we passed Tarzan's Tree House we were shocked; there was nobody there. We stood there for a couple minutes enjoying the emptiness. I believe my husband made the comment of, "Wow, enjoy it while you can. You will never see it like this again." I will never forget that moment. And I hope my son doesn't either.

santoanderson
04-18-2007, 02:50 PM
^^^^
Hmmm, they must've been spraying for bugs. :p

As for an Adventureland experience. Well, it's kind of odd. I was starving, it was about 8:30pm. It was dark, and I'd just gotten off of Indiana Jones. Our group got separated into two cars, and mine was done first. My brother and I made our way out of the exit queue and quickly saw a shishkabob cart. The price was okay for Disneyland, I want to say 2 or 3 bucks per stick. I got three and a soda, and was promptly rear ended by somebody not watching where they were going. Everything fell out of my hands and landed on the ground. Normally I practice the five-second rule, but I wasn't eating chicken off that pavement. But almost immediately a CM came rushing by, saw what happened and asked what I'd purchased. He ran to the chicken cart, immediately got me replacement food and extra napkins, gave me his name, and darted. It's so great when somebody goes out of their way to make your day (or night) a little brighter.