PDA

View Full Version : Long Beach Airport

SeansMom
04-15-2007, 06:44 PM
We found some great airfare rates to L.B. airport. I've never flown into this airport, and I'm wondering how others have liked it. Our choice has always been SNA, but fares into SNA were literally twice as much, and I avoid LAX like the plague!

Also...transportation to DL...are there car rentals available there? Anyone used a car service or super shuttle?

Thanks in advance!

adriennek
04-15-2007, 08:06 PM
I've never flown into LB but I've only heard praise from people who have.

Adrienne

Bytebear
04-15-2007, 08:20 PM
Love it, love it, LOVE IT. It is extremely easy to get into and out of. It is a very small airport. The baggage claim is outside and right next to curbside transportation. But my #1 reason for loving it is JetBlue!!! We always get to the airport early, and checkin is a breeze. Never long lines, and they have curbside baggage check if you like. We have dinner before our flight, in the diner on the second floor which has great views of the tarmac. The long term parking is so close you don't even need to take a shuttle to the main entrance. It's right across the street.

Mooshu
04-15-2007, 08:26 PM
Shhhhhh... it's not supposed to be known!!!! Long Beach is very small....but very close to DL. If you count driving time to and from...I would choose Long Beach over John Wayne/Orange...because of traffic commute. It might be the same..I haven't timed it...but comparable. If you can get a Jet Blue flight cheaper than South West...I would choose Jet Blue.

Darkbeer
04-15-2007, 08:31 PM
Yes, the major Car Rentals are at Long Beach, I suggest using Hotwire.com to get the best rate.

The drive is pretty basic, just leave the airport and head east. Wardrow turns into Ball Road and takes you straight to the park, no need for getting on a freeway.

If you don't want to rent a car, a taxi is currently $36 plus tip from the airport (flat rate), the cab back will be around $45 plus tip (no flat rate available).

Once you use Long Beach, you won't want to use LAX or John Wayne again!

MauiMickey
04-15-2007, 08:41 PM
Thanks for those positive reviews of LGB! We, too, have always flown LAX or SNA, but LGB's price was so good we couldn't resist this time. I'm glad to hear it is a good choice. :-)

Darkbeer, do you happen to know why there isn't a flat rate to return from the hotel to LGB? We have had a flat rate returning to SNA (we used the same taxi driver both ways). Just wondering...

Darkbeer
04-16-2007, 12:24 AM
Thanks for those positive reviews of LGB! We, too, have always flown LAX or SNA, but LGB's price was so good we couldn't resist this time. I'm glad to hear it is a good choice. :-)

Darkbeer, do you happen to know why there isn't a flat rate to return from the hotel to LGB? We have had a flat rate returning to SNA (we used the same taxi driver both ways). Just wondering...

Because LGB is actually in Los Angeles County, not Orange County. So there is no requirement from the Orange County Taxi Authority to offer a deal. The Long Beach Airport has enough power to require the Los Angeles County taxis to offer the flat rate from the airport (which is also a double whammy for the taxis, as they have to return to LA County without picking up a new fare in Orange County, aka Anaheim).

hlbtimes2
04-16-2007, 05:49 AM
We love Long Beach as well. It is small. Small as in you will get on and off the plane out on the tarmack. But, as the others have said, its close to DL and easy to get in and out of. Baggage claim is outside, so no need to wait for bags on carousels. The car rentals are across a cross walk. It couldnt be more simple!

We got a great rate from Alamo. Check the costco or entertainment card rates/ coupons for more savings.

adriennek
04-16-2007, 06:46 AM
It might be the same..I haven't timed it...but comparable.

I google mapped it last week. John Wayne is about 14 miles from DLR, Long Beach is about 19. In my world, that's just about the same.

Adrienne

hbquikcomjamesl
04-16-2007, 07:18 AM
Where John Wayne Airport tore down their historic terminal building, in order to build a huge eyesore in its place (in the process, decimating the airport's general aviation facilities), Long Beach restored their historic terminal building.

And call me a Luddite, but I happen to LIKE boarding ladders, and PREFER them to Jetways.

Bytebear
04-16-2007, 07:34 AM
Another advantage to boarding from the tarmac. They use both the front and back doors of the airplane, which means you load and unload twice as fast, and you get to your seat faster (especially if you are located in the back of the plane). And, yes, the do have a ramp for those who can't climb stairs.

hlbtimes2
04-16-2007, 08:07 AM
And call me a Luddite, but I happen to LIKE boarding ladders, and PREFER them to Jetways.

Last March, for our trip home, we flew on Alaska Air's "flying fish" plane. Its painted like a salmon. It was so much fun to walk out on the tarmac and see it up close. We took some pictures of us in front of it. I would not been nearly as neat to just see it out the window of the airport.

hbquikcomjamesl
04-16-2007, 08:17 AM
At least, the airlines that aren't locked into "Jetway thinking" use every available hatch. Provided that there are enough boarding ladders to go around. Some airlines don't have the sense to do so. Then again, some airlines don't have the common sense God gave the common slime mold.

I remember years ago, at the old Eddie Martin Terminal, at Wayne. Air California had at least one built-in boarding ladder on every 737, L-188, and Super-80 it flew, and some of the 737s had their aft hatches modified so they folded out into a second built-in boarding ladder, much like the boarding hatches on commuter aircraft (only much bigger). Hughes Airwest flew DC-9s in and out of Wayne, and had the "beavertail" hatches on them outfitted for passenger boarding.

Jungle Cruiser
04-16-2007, 02:34 PM
I love flying into LGB. Jet Blue is the best and this airport is great to get in and out of and the rental cars are right across the street from the terminal (50 feet). You feel like you have landed in the 1950's and my kids loved seeing the blimp hangar. The only problem I have ever had with LGB is when you are returning to the airport from Disneyland along the 22 Freeway, Mapquest gives the following instruction:

Take I-405 N toward SANTA MONICA / I-605 FREEWAY N.

This is confusing because you need to stay on the 405 N until you hit Lakewood Blvd and then get off. DO NOT GET ON THE 605 N or it could take you a long time to get back, especially in rush hour conditions. Also, when you are leaving the airport there is a sign just before the ramp to the 405 North Freeway which points to the 405 South being staight ahead, but looks like it is pointing up the 405N ramp. Make sure when you come out from under the tunnel that you go to the light after the tunnel and turn left to get on 405 South or you will never get to the 22 - Garden Grove Freeway. If you are wondering how I know these things, let's just say I have some personal experience with these issues.

SeansMom
04-17-2007, 05:37 PM
Much thanks everyone! Now, cross your fingers hubby can get the time off :).

I'd love a Springtime trip to DL, sans kids.

What a wonderful life it is :) :) :).

spectromen
04-17-2007, 07:38 PM
Where John Wayne Airport tore down their historic terminal building, in order to build a huge eyesore in its place (in the process, decimating the airport's general aviation facilities)

I never knew any of that. Thanks for the trivia! When was it torn down?