PDA

View Full Version : Flying in from Reno

MermaidHair
04-09-2007, 07:45 AM
I am booking my birthday trip and our plans have just changed for childcare reasons. Now we will be flying into southern CA from Reno. I know there are a bunch of people on this board who fly in from there so can you guys help with the following questions?

What is a "good" airfare from Reno to the LA area? The lowest I am seeing right now are about $150 per person. Is that good or should I wait to see if they come down?
What airport do you usually fly into?

Thanks for your help!

A Big Fan
04-09-2007, 07:56 AM
$150 is good.

Best deals we've usually found is Horizon (Alaska) to LAX, best we've found is around $125 when they are running a special.

If you drive down to Sacto you can get the $49 one ways on Southwest, but you have to figure in parking in Sacto, drive time, etc. so it doesn't reallly end up working out any better.

I've seen some last minute deals going Reno-Vegas-LAX that were cheaper, but if you need guaranteed reservations ahead of time that doesn't work out either.

MermaidHair
04-09-2007, 03:13 PM
Thanks - I had not thought of Sacremento. I will actually be leaving from Tahoe City so going to Sacremento on a Sunday morning might not be that much further for a cheaper flight and better times. I will check into it.

futurecm21
04-09-2007, 03:17 PM
$150 per person, is really pretty good, although I have seen it lower, I would advise you not to take any chances you might later regret. If you can find a flight that takes you to the Orange County Airport, I would deffinately book that one, because Orange County is so much closer than LAX.:)

futurecm21

Malcon10t
04-09-2007, 03:43 PM
$150 per person, is really pretty good, although I have seen it lower, I would advise you not to take any chances you might later regret. If you can find a flight that takes you to the Orange County Airport, I would deffinately book that one, because Orange County is so much closer than LAX.:)

futurecm21I would vote for Long Beach if you can get in there. Jet Blue from Sac to Long Beach.

Stichy626
04-09-2007, 04:25 PM
Parking here in Sac is only $7 per day out in the overflow lot which works great or $12 per day in the daily lot.

adriennek
04-09-2007, 09:35 PM
What time of day/day of the week are you flying in?

Sunday morning - I can read...

It's not as close as Long Beach but Ontario is a lovely airport. It's not crowded at all, the terminals are very easy to navigate, in and out is FAST, and it's still pretty new. And on a Sunday morning/afternoon, it should only take about 30 minutes to get to Anaheim.

Adrienne

MermaidHair
04-10-2007, 09:23 AM
Thanks for all the input. I am really appreciating living so close to the Oakland airport, where we have lots of options of times and airports to fly into. Leaving from Lake Tahoe is much more confusing. I am more concerned about my trip home as we are planning to book an early-ish morning flight on Wednesday and will probably see rush hour traffic on the way to the airport. I am having fun pouring through the schedules, however. It is making me more and more excited for my trip!

My cousin suggested I sign up for Southwest's Ding service. Anyone used this? Is it true that you can buy a ticket and then turn around and re-book it for a cheaper flight? I guess you would have a credit with the airline left over if you did that.

adriennek
04-10-2007, 09:47 AM
I am more concerned about my trip home as we are planning to book an early-ish morning flight on Wednesday and will probably see rush hour traffic on the way to the airport.

In that case, you might consider Ontario Airport because you'd be travelling against most traffic.

Adrienne

nvmom
04-11-2007, 09:07 AM
We fly from Reno each year. We always choose the Aloha Airlines flight because the price stays pretty do-able and it's non-stop. 1 hr and 10 min into John Wayne. You do not have a choice of light times though. It leaves at 6:50 a.m. only.

nvmom

A Big Fan
04-11-2007, 09:28 AM
We fly from Reno each year. We always choose the Aloha Airlines flight because the price stays pretty do-able and it's non-stop. 1 hr and 10 min into John Wayne. You do not have a choice of light times though. It leaves at 6:50 a.m. only.

nvmom

An SC local can correct me if I"m wrong, but I think John Wayne is physically the closest to Disneyland... although possibly not closest time wise depending on traffic, etc?

And there's the added noise abatement surprise when flying out of John Wayne...that can be a thrill....

futurecm21
04-11-2007, 02:05 PM
An SC local can correct me if I"m wrong, but I think John Wayne is physically the closest to Disneyland... although possibly not closest time wise depending on traffic, etc?

And there's the added noise abatement surprise when flying out of John Wayne...that can be a thrill....

I am with you, I am fairly certain that John Wayne is in fact. physically the closest. I fly there on United from Denver every time, and the drive is usually not so bad, but it can change depending on the time of day, the time of the year, and several other factors.:)

futurecm21

josephfive
04-11-2007, 03:28 PM
Yes, John Wayne is the closest to the DLR. Flights are usually a little bit more to fly into John Wayne (SNA) than LAX. I suppose the traffic could be tough at peak times, but it still is not that far away. I'm speculating about 10 miles.

adriennek
04-11-2007, 03:33 PM
Per Google Maps, SNA/John Wayne is just over 14 miles to DLR. But, as has been mentioned, SNA has airport fees that often raise ticket prices into that airport.

Long Beach is about 19 miles.

Adrienne