PDA

View Full Version : Which DVC resort should I pick?

vanessalynn386
04-09-2007, 07:45 AM
I live in Central Florida and have been to WDW many, many times in my life. I have stayed in several resorts, including Pop Century, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans French Quarter, and Coronado Springs. I now have an opportunity to rent Vacation Club points for a night in one of the DVC resorts. Are there any members or others who frequent WDW that have any advice as to which one to pick? I would be traveling with my husband and seven year old daughter. I am leaning toward the Boardwalk or Beach Club because of the central location to the Studios and Epcot, or possibly the Wilderness Lodge.

Any help is appreciated!

Vanessa

Family5LovesDisney
04-09-2007, 12:20 PM
It may depend on which park you would like to spend the most time at while you are there.
The Villas at the Wilderness Lodge get you to MK via a boat. I found the room decor to be disappointing (I guess I have traveled out "West" too many times)
If you are big Epcot fans, then either the Boardwalk or Beach Club villas are nice. I love the Beach Club decor! The villa we stayed in had light green cabinets in the kitchen, tiles decorated with dolphins in the shower, and lots of other neat features.
Saratoga Springs Resort is also very nice. The villas there feature a Victorian decor but you do have to relay on Disney bus transportation or your own car.

mom22gls
04-09-2007, 01:08 PM
It may also depend on just how many points are available for you to rent. You probably want a one-bedroom, and the number of points available may be enough for one resort, and not another. In addition, availability may also be affected by the DVC owner's home resort. You may be able to "afford" a studio at one resort, or a one-bedroom at another. Decide what is more important, a particular resort, or a larger unit. Consult with the DVC owner, or check some of the on-line point charts, to see just what the number of points you are renting will get you, and give the owner a list of properties you would prefer, as the owner will be making the reservation on your behalf. By the end of our vacation in August, I will have stayed at 3 of the DVC properties, as we had a 5 night stay at a studio at OKW, on rented points, last year, and will be using our own points this year, for 5 nights in a one-bedroom at SS, followed by a weekend at a studio at BC. I've stayed at the WL, and would love to try the villas.

Family5LovesDisney
04-09-2007, 01:17 PM
It may also depend on just how many points are available for you to rent. You probably want a one-bedroom, and the number of points available may be enough for one resort, and not another. In addition, availability may also be affected by the DVC owner's home resort. You may be able to "afford" a studio at one resort, or a one-bedroom at another. Decide what is more important, a particular resort, or a larger unit. Consult with the DVC owner, or check some of the on-line point charts, to see just what the number of points you are renting will get you, and give the owner a list of properties you would prefer, as the owner will be making the reservation on your behalf. By the end of our vacation in August, I will have stayed at 3 of the DVC properties, as we had a 5 night stay at a studio at OKW, on rented points, last year, and will be using our own points this year, for 5 nights in a one-bedroom at SS, followed by a weekend at a studio at BC. I've stayed at the WL, and would love to try the villas. That is so true. We rented points from another DVC Member and stayed at OKW and the Beach Club. We "toured" a sample at The Wilderness Lodge, Saratoga, and the Boardwalk (different years for the tours and close to when each of them opened) When we rented the points, we were there during the cheapest season Point Wise (January but this also includes September and the beginning of December) Weekend nights cost a lot more points even during the off-season. We finally gave in (after many tours and staying on DVC Club properties) and are now DVC Members ourselves! :D

efoxx
04-09-2007, 06:25 PM
BWV's have their charm, and are among our fav. but the rooms can be really far from the elevators there. BCV are probably our favorite, especially with a Ariel court yard view. WL is our home resort, and we certainly love it. but ultimatly your choice could be limited by who you rent points from. the only way to be sure to get the resort you want is to rent points 11 months out from someone's home resort. after 7 months the DVC's open to all other DVC owners and tend to fill up rather quickly. so just because you are renting points from someone who's home resort is WL doesn't guarantee you getting a prefered time and location anywhere if it is a short time until you go.

Family5LovesDisney
04-10-2007, 04:03 AM
BWV's have their charm, and are among our fav. but the rooms can be really far from the elevators there. BCV are probably our favorite, especially with a Ariel court yard view. WL is our home resort, and we certainly love it. but ultimatly your choice could be limited by who you rent points from. the only way to be sure to get the resort you want is to rent points 11 months out from someone's home resort. after 7 months the DVC's open to all other DVC owners and tend to fill up rather quickly. so just because you are renting points from someone who's home resort is WL doesn't guarantee you getting a prefered time and location anywhere if it is a short time until you go. I was wondering about that being a new DVC member. We would like to go in January but I doubt I would be able to nail down a date until at least October. I hope we will be able to find something. Our home resort is OKW and that is where I would like to stay (their two bedroom villa is so spacious!) Have you ever had a lot of trouble getting a reservation off-season with only 2 or 3 months notice in your home resort?

efoxx
04-10-2007, 04:48 AM
Have you ever had a lot of trouble getting a reservation off-season with only 2 or 3 months notice in your home resort?Oddly enough Jan isn't nec off season with DVC owners. this is mainly because of the cheaper points. you should be able to get something somewhere this late, but a certain flexability may be nec. when you call up have some options already in mind including splitting your stay into two seperate locations, multiple rooms, or changing dates by a day or three.

Family5LovesDisney
04-10-2007, 04:55 AM
Oddly enough Jan isn't nec off season with DVC owners. this is mainly because of the cheaper points. you should be able to get something somewhere this late, but a certain flexability may be nec. when you call up have some options already in mind including splitting your stay into two seperate locations, multiple rooms, or changing dates by a day or three.
YIKES! I just "purchased" the points and won't be all settled up until the end of May, beginning of June. I'm sure we should make it through the ROFR process since we offered a little bit more then the going rate (it was a great deal with some banked points they hadn't used and the full amount coming in October)
Unfortunately, my husband's work schedule has been so crazy that he doesn't want me to pick the time to go in January until at least October. Then he will have a better idea of when he can "get away".
I guess that makes sense that January would be more popular with DVC members since the points are much less!

vanessalynn386
04-10-2007, 06:35 AM
I am still a little confused about the process because I've never done it before. I will only have 14 points (one night) and I know I have to use them by May 31st and it's only enough for Sun-Thurs. The owner told me to give her a list of the resorts I want in order from most to least. I hope that it's not too late to get in on one Sunday night!

mom22gls
04-10-2007, 07:03 AM
I am still a little confused about the process because I've never done it before. I will only have 14 points (one night) and I know I have to use them by May 31st and it's only enough for Sun-Thurs. The owner told me to give her a list of the resorts I want in order from most to least. I hope that it's not too late to get in on one Sunday night!

You need to review the points charts, which shows you how many points you need, for each resort, by unit level, dates, and days of week. One place to access them, is via a link from the www.allearsnet.com site. If you click on accomodations, and then Disney Vacation Club, you can access charts from the dvcbyresale site. If you want Beach Club, I think you will be limited to a studio, which is, basically, a pretty spacious hotel room. For one night, and three people, it's fine.

Family5LovesDisney
04-10-2007, 08:42 AM
I am still a little confused about the process because I've never done it before. I will only have 14 points (one night) and I know I have to use them by May 31st and it's only enough for Sun-Thurs. The owner told me to give her a list of the resorts I want in order from most to least. I hope that it's not too late to get in on one Sunday night! Some other links that may be helpful in planning your stay:

http://www.dvc-resales.com/DVC-point-charts.htm

http://www.wdwinfo.com/resort/dvcpoint.cfm

WDW heart
04-17-2007, 04:45 PM
I would definitely opt for the Beach Club.

wwithers
04-18-2007, 12:20 AM
We stayed in the WLV a couple of years ago and I have to say that had I not gotten a great deal on points (long story), I would have been very disappointed.

My understanding is that the BWV are very nice, as are the BCV. I believe the new AKV are opening later this year as well.

JeffG
04-22-2007, 11:09 AM
We stayed in the WLV a couple of years ago and I have to say that had I not gotten a great deal on points (long story), I would have been very disappointed.

Can you go into a little more detail about why that is? We had a wonderful experience at the Wilderness Lodge Villas two years ago and have reservations to return there again this year. We stayed at Boardwalk Villas last year and were much less happy with it.

Our key issues with Boardwalk Villas were related to location, which was actually one of the things that we thought would be a big advantage there. The boat transportation to Epcot and Disney/MGM Studios is fun, but our problem was that it was really the >only< choice to get to either of those parks. There were several occasions, particularly one night when we left Studios right at closing, where we would have vastly preferred to have buses available as an alternative. That night at Studios, the wait for the boat was nearly an hour. While walking to/from either of those parks is possible, the distance is pretty high and it wasn't really practical for us due to a couple members of our party that had disabilities.

Even the bus transportation to/from Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom seemed to take longer and be more crowded than what we had experienced at WL. All the buses seemed to stop at Swan and Dolphin as well, making for pretty long trips. Generally, we found the buses from WL rarely had more than one additional stop and those seemed to be faster. We also had several occasions at Boardwalk where the buses were already full from previous stops at Yacht and Beach Club before they ever got to us.

The other thing that we seriously missed during our stay at Boardwalk last year was a casual dining location similar to Roaring Fork at Wilderness Lodge. The closest thing they had to that was the little coffee shop, but it had an extremely limited selection and it also was a pretty long distance away from our room. This was actually our first trip in quite a while where we didn't get refillable mugs, simply because the location that offered them was too out of the way for us to feel like they were practical.

While the room was pretty comparable to what we had at WLV, we didn't really like the decor as much. That is personal taste, of course, though. One more serious complaint that we did have at Boardwalk was that there were no child safety locks on the patio doors. I don't think we had been in the room more than 10 minutes before our 3-year-old figured out how to unlock and open that door. After escalating to a couple different managers, they finally retrieved a couple safety locks used on the doors at the Beach Club and installed them on the doors for us (a process that took all of 15-minutes, once we convinced them to do it...) Maybe they have corrected this issue across the resort by now, but it did make for a pretty bad first impression.

-Jeff