PDA

View Full Version : Circle Vision, People Mover, and More

tommorwlandfan
06-12-2002, 03:44 PM
It would be wonderful to see the circle vision theater reopened playing circle vision films Wonders or China, American Jouneys, or America, the Beautiful. The Circle Vision theater has very little operational costs, and only a sign and leanrails need to be added. The theatre is intact and sitting emty! It would be a total waste to see Timekeeper or Buzz Lightyear ride in it's place. (Isn't Buzz Lightyear ride the same as the Roger Rabbit Ride in Toontown except for the interactive gun?)
Then there is the people mover track. A revised people mover with rocket rods styled cars would be a great addition, but unfortuanatley I don'tt think it will happen.
Innovention, though interesting, is a waste of space when Carousel of Progress could be there. Even Alien Encounter would be an upgrade, actually it would add a good E ride addition that Tomorroland desperately needs. Honey, I Shrunk The Audience is fun, but is boring once you see it more that one time.
I hate carbon copying all the rides in WDW for Disneyland. Each park need uniquness. If Disney brought back the popular Circle Vision 360, People Mover, and replaced Innovemtions with ExtraTERRORESTRIAL Alien Encounter, Tomorrowland would one again be the icing on Disneyland's cake.

Disneyfreak
06-12-2002, 05:33 PM
I agree 100% with you on that but you forgot about submarine voyage and star tours and space mountain rehab. Then it would be complete. Also I hate that club buzz. Its sooooo anoying. I liked it before when popular bands would be there with the music blaring and the rods with that unique sound with the music was great. Im very sad they just didnt fix rocket rods with banked turns.

Lost Boy
06-12-2002, 08:26 PM
Anybody want to take a guess as to what is sitting in the old Circle Vision Theater right now?

It's King Arthur's Carrousel, all laid out and being completly redone. It will be (technically anyway) a Merry=Go=Round when it comes back as there will be bench seating added along with a wheel-chair platform. The white horses will remain and no other "zoo" animals are planeed at this time. But the whole thing is stored in Circle Vision right now as it was the only indoor place big enough to hold it and allow it to be laid out properly (the building theater area is round you know). Got this from a castmember friend last Sunday.

hbquikcomjamesl
06-13-2002, 08:06 AM
It would be a total waste to see Timekeeper . . .

Why? Timekeeper could be easily installed in such a way that it could rotate with ATB, AJ, WOC, and any other CV films that are available.

As to Buzz Lightyear, there ought to be any number of empty spaces where THAT could fit. Like the roof of the Magic Eye Theatre. Or the pizzeria in the former Flight to the Moon/Mission to Mars.

justagrrl
06-13-2002, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by Lost Boy
Anybody want to take a guess as to what is sitting in the old Circle Vision Theater right now?

It's King Arthur's Carrousel, all laid out and being completly redone. It will be (technically anyway) a Merry=Go=Round when it comes back as there will be bench seating added along with a wheel-chair platform. The white horses will remain and no other "zoo" animals are planeed at this time. But the whole thing is stored in Circle Vision right now as it was the only indoor place big enough to hold it and allow it to be laid out properly (the building theater area is round you know). Got this from a castmember friend last Sunday.

Neat-o! I wish I could peek in there and see it. :)

Are they going to put it back in the same place or move it?

WDWalways
06-13-2002, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by tommorwlandfan
I hate carbon copying all the rides in WDW for Disneyland. Each park needs uniqueness. If Disney brought back the popular Circle Vision 360, People Mover, and replaced Innoventions with ExtraTERRORESTRIAL Alien Encounter, Tomorrowland would one again be the icing on Disneyland's cake.

WDW already has all of 3 of these so if you hate carbon copying WDW rides for DL you wouldn't want any of these.

Nigel2
06-13-2002, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by tommorwlandfan
It would be wonderful to see the circle vision theater reopened playing circle vision films Wonders or China, American Jouneys, or America, the Beautiful. The Circle Vision theater has very little operational costs, and only a sign and leanrails need to be added.

Well it isn't quite as simple, the elevator that blocks part of the exit path out of the theater constricts the walkways, plus it still costs them a decent amout of money to run it with little revaune generated since it isn't going to pack the people in most of the year (heck even when it was open during the summer I use to see tons of people just sitting off to the sides so they can cool off.:D ) They did announce arround September last year (or was it october?) that they were going to bring it back for a temporary showing of America the beautiful, but that fell through.

RStar
06-14-2002, 11:49 AM
Just before they closed the Circle Vision to make it the Rocket Rods, they brought back the old film (don't remember the name, was it the America the Beautiful?) for a limited time. It was cool to see the old film again. I got a blast out of seeing the old cars and 60s clothing on people.

Does any one know what kind of numbers it pulled in? Did the nastalga work? Seems like it would be worth it to me to do it again, but if they had it planned, and then dropped there must be a reason why. Maybe that pesky elevator blocking the exit causing too much construction money. There must be some good things they can do with that whole string of buildings. I wonder if they even have someone working on that? I can't belive that they aren't trying to come up with something for the poor old Tomarrowland Ghost Town.:crying:

Lost Boy
06-14-2002, 06:07 PM
1. The "roof" area of the Magic Eye Theater isn't strong enough to hold much of anything escept those tables that are (or used to be) there. That's why the queue line goes around it.
2. The carousel will go right back where it came from. The center pole is still there surrounded by a blue fence (instead of ugly green).
3. I did go see the Circlevision film that they brought back temporaryly a couple or three years ago, several times in fact, and the theater was always full whenever I went, with a line waiting to get in at each show. I think the nostalgia worked very well. And it was fun to see Downtown L.A. with the old cars and stuff. Still a great film though.
4. And that's the rub with Timekeeper. I have seen both the WDW version (in person) and the one from Disneyland Paris (I have it on video tape - there are some differences other than language), but the main problem is they just didn't utilize the surround screen very well. Most of the tims only the screens in front where used and the side and back screens remained dark. Only in two or three scenes did they utilize the full 360 degrees of vision. Personally, I thought the A/A figures of Timekeeper and Nine-Eyes were the best thing about the show. I found the movie rather boring most of the time. Whereas the old Circle Vision movies had you gawking all over all the time. They were great. By the way, I hear that the Cinerama Dome in Hollywood is going to bring back "This Is Cinerama" this September for Cinerama's anniversary. That would be fun to see again. :cool:

MonorailMan
06-14-2002, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by Lost Boy
1. The "roof" area of the Magic Eye Theater isn't strong enough to hold much of anything escept those tables that are (or used to be) there. That's why the queue line goes around it.
:cool:

Just to let the newbie's know:

The New "Honey I Shrunk The Audience", Is housed in the old "Magic Eye Theater". :)

Nigel2
06-14-2002, 09:29 PM
I always wondered why there was (it might still be there) a track like thing that looked like it could hold temporary walls going along the roof of HISTA?

Also It was America the beautiful (they wanted to put the most popular one in I believe) that was shown and they put up all the state flags and so forth in the waiting room. I think one of the big draws (outside of nostalgia) was that it was nice and cool inside during the hot summers.:D

Lost Boy
06-15-2002, 07:55 PM
About the track like thing onthe roof of HISTA I really haven't been on Space Mountain in so long (since the music stopped working most of the time) that I really don't know what it is. Could be just temporary walls that be put up to hide a private party or dinner in there. It will hold a few hundred people at tables but not a lot. And no heavy equipment. They just didn't think ahead when they built the enlcosed theater over the old Tomorrowland Stage that used to be there a long time ago (In A Galaxy Far Far Away from what's there now).:(

Nigel2
06-15-2002, 08:46 PM
I always wondered (since we are talking about that whole area) if there is/was anything wrong with the lunar level of the starcade (I think it is still closed, its been a while since I looked) but did rocket rods have anything to do with its closure? (it use to shake a little with each rod going by).

Lost Boy
06-16-2002, 06:27 PM
I think after the Red Rocket Pizza Port opened there was no need for a food place all the way back there. And maybe the food management didn't want competion. Besides the food served back there was awful. Red Rockets at least has booths (the only restaraunt in Disneyland that does) and food is pretty good.

TP2000
06-16-2002, 07:02 PM
<<"I got a blast out of seeing the old cars and 60s clothing on people.">>

The version of America The Beautiful that Disneyland showed in the summer of 1997 just before CircleVision closed for New Tomorrowland construction was not actually the "original" version of that film from 1967. It was an updated version of that film that was produced in 1975 for the Bicentenial of 1976. There were still a few clips left over from the '67 print, like the AT&T ship laying cable in the Pacific and the madcap ride through San Fransisco on a fire truck. But the vast bulk of the city and country scenes in that America The Beautiful film were from the mid 70's, not the 60's.

The 1975 Oldsmobile Delta 88's and 1974 Chrysler Newport's driving down Chicago's Michigan Avenue were a good hint that this was filmed in the mid 70's instead of the 1960's. Plus, the businessmen walking through Manhattan sporting long permed hair and the secretaries with disco hemlines just below their knee's also tipped you off that this was filmed at the dawn of the disco era, instead of during the go-go Lyndon Johnson era.

It would be nice if they brought something like this back to Tomorrowland. Heck, it would be nice if they brought anything back to Tomorrowland. Subs are gone. CircleVision is gone. Skyway is gone. Mission to Mars is gone. RocketRods are gone. And nothing has replaced them. And nothing is under construction or even rumored to replace them. Sad.

MonorailMan
06-16-2002, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by TP2000
Sad.

Very Sad. :(

Crispy
06-18-2002, 06:58 PM
I actually loved Timekeeper at WDW. The whole 360 degrees was utilized. However, what made this film different than the other cirlce vision 360 films is that there was indeed a "front" to the theatre and a central focus in the films. In the previous circle vision films there was no front, so while viewing the film, you'd find yourself turning in a cirlce while viewing it. At Timekeeper, you would hardly ever feel the need to look behind you. But I think it was a good trade off. This was the first time story and characters were ever used in a Circle Vision film and I think that made all the difference. The Timekeeper and Nine Eyes animatronics were entertaining and the film had an awesome score. I heard that Timekeeper and COP opened again briefly for crowd control, but I think it's sad that a great fully operational attraction (and fairly new) is sitting at the park empty and unused.

Cris