PDA

View Full Version : CMs and attractions

Huck Finn 8130
04-08-2007, 10:24 AM
How does Disney decide which attraction a CM is to be assigned to? Is there a "casting director" who decides your "best fit". Is a part-time, hourly, CM able to request an attraction to play a role in?

Autopia Guy
04-08-2007, 11:08 AM
Well, lets see. I remember one of the questions in my interview was if I preferred indoor or outdoor. Once that was answered, they offered me the position that I got.

Now, you start at one attraction. You get to know how to work and deal with situations and such. Then after about 4 months, you can learn another attraction. I think they put their final word and approval on it though before you get that next attraction. That basically is all there is from what I know.

Any more specific questions then that, I will gladly PM the answers to you.

Class Bravo
04-08-2007, 06:26 PM
I'm sure there was once a time when they considered which attraction was someone's best fit but in my experiences those days are long gone. Truthfully, the determining factor is probably which areas need the staffing the most and how many people they can get to that area to provide staffing.

When I hired into the park (2000) they didn't offer me a choice in attractions. The only thing that came into play was that I told them I couldn't swim so I wouldn't be able to do an attraction that was based in water. They offered me a job in attractions and told me that I would get my attraction assigment on my second day of orientation (which was about 4 weeks out). Naturally when I got my paperwork on that day I saw that they had assigned me to the canoes. I quietly pulled someone aside and explained the situation. They looked into it and said they were probably going to have to rescind my job offer, but then they were able to fanagle me into Fantasyland.

Once I became a lead and saw how things worked, I saw that the main thing in assigning someone to an area was usually their availability. When an area needs staffing on the weekdays and someone who has weekday availability applies, that's where they're going.

PanFan
04-08-2007, 07:13 PM
It was my limited availability that almost got me landed in Paradise Pier. I didn't want to drive 60 miles from Santa Clarita to work at Paradise Pier, so I called the casting guy who did my interview and basically begged him to put me anywhere in DL. He said normally he wouldn't be able to move forward (the polite way of rescinding the offer), but I guess he realized how much I wanted to work there (I quickly opened up my availability when I saw that was the case) and was able to get me into FL. If you state your preference in the interview, it would probably help get you where you want, or at least into an area where you can eventually train for what you want. But from what I can tell the ultimate factor is need and availability.

cstephens
04-08-2007, 07:16 PM
When I interviewed for Disneyland, they never asked me what area I wanted to work in or where I had aptitude. When I got my hire letter, they had hired me as a Main Gate ticket seller. Good thing I was actually good at handling money.

Niwel
04-08-2007, 08:54 PM
When I interviewed (and this was years ago) I had an in person and an on-the-phone because it was College Program. I was asked what I'd prefer and I said I was a klutz, so foods would be bad; and I already worked at the Disney store, so I didn't want merch. I said I loved helping people and my Disney knowledge would make me an asset to guest relations or attractions.
They had spots in attractions and thanks to my height I ended up in Fantasyland.

I'm not sure if they still have the same policy -- but I do know if you come in and make a stellar impression, you are probably more likely to receive a position where you will shine.

RStar
04-08-2007, 10:18 PM
Oh, I thought you were saying the CMs ARE the attractions. Sorry.

Carry on.....

;)

someimagination
04-12-2007, 11:05 AM
I remember the CM who interviewed me asked me if I had any trouble with heights, enclosed spaces, or water... [I assume the heights issue is so they don't stick you on something like Screamin']

Judging from other posts, I think I must've gotten lucky. The CM asked me about the top 3 lands I'd want to work in at DL, and about a month later [I had a huge mishap with my application which she lost then found -shakes fist-] she called me back and asked me, again, which lands I'd most want to work in. I gave her FL as my first preference, and that's what I ended up getting. :D

houseofmouse
04-12-2007, 11:51 AM
Speaking of best fit, how does it work if you have say only weekday avalibility, versus all the time. Say you cannot work nights at all because you have kids and are a single parent or something. Do they still interview you or are you "roundfiled"? :) I also heard it is nearly impossible to get time off for your own vacations and such. Is that true? Thanks!!

jcruise86
04-12-2007, 12:00 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the CM Hiring Handbook states:

"Only exceptionally intelligent and good-looking candidates who have demonstrated uncommon bravery may be considered for The Jungle Cruise."

samsma
04-12-2007, 12:04 PM
"Only exceptionally intelligent and good-looking candidates who have demonstrated uncommon bravery may be considered for The Jungle Cruise."

Don't forget the all important, Lacking in MODESTY!!!!!

A Big Fan
04-12-2007, 12:14 PM
Oh, I thought you were saying the CMs ARE the attractions. Sorry.

Carry on.....

;)

I'm attracted to several cast members.... starting with Jessica Rabbit.........

evrythngwmn
04-12-2007, 11:36 PM
Speaking of best fit, how does it work if you have say only weekday avalibility, versus all the time. Say you cannot work nights at all because you have kids and are a single parent or something. Do they still interview you or are you "roundfiled"? :) I also heard it is nearly impossible to get time off for your own vacations and such. Is that true? Thanks!!

Casual regulars or Casual Temporary which is what most CMs start out as have to be fully available Friday evening, Saturday and Sunday. During peak seasons and special events (ie grad nite) you have to be fully available seven days a week. It is also true that it is almost impossible to get time off for vacations, particularly during peak seasons.

dawnid
04-13-2007, 12:21 PM
:) I also heard it is nearly impossible to get time off for your own vacations and such. Is that true? Thanks!!

LOL - vacation, doctors appointment, dentist appointment, death in the family....if you are CR or CT in foods and hired after 2005 getting time off takes an act of congress. They have no sick, vacation or personal time off during weekends or peak times and a lot of manditory OT and 6 days.