PDA

View Full Version : The new Pooh ride

HBTiggerFan
06-12-2002, 03:28 PM
Ok,
I am not stating this as fact, but a CM friend of mine told me today that they stopped work on Winnie the Pooh ride because Disney still doesn't own the rights to Pooh. Can anyone confirm this or fill in the rest of the blanks?

Thanks

Superty88
06-12-2002, 03:41 PM
probly not true. They have a winnie ride in WDW so why not DL?

Disney Nick
06-12-2002, 04:13 PM
Definitely not true. Your friend is trying to look like he/she is "in the know". The dispute over Pooh has to do with royalties for video/dvd sales and it in no way affects Disneyland adding a Pooh ride.

disneyscott
06-12-2002, 04:19 PM
just like a bad rumer I have heard that one too...I real question is why cant they even talk abou the new ride...i mean we all have been told by an (insider) or read aboutit some where but where are the signs and the big hoop la we accept when a ride is under construction.... unless you know somthing the rest of us dont know I still beleave it is a but the law suit having to do with poo...it doest mater the wdw has it,,,The ride was bilt befor the truble with the copy rite and rolitys...if disny does pay they dont ge POO

cemeinke
06-12-2002, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by HB Tigger Fan
Ok,
I am not stating this as fact, but a CM friend of mine told me today that they stopped work on Winnie the Pooh ride because Disney still doesn't own the rights to Pooh. Can anyone confirm this or fill in the rest of the blanks?

Thanks

I believe Disney bought out the rights to the Pooh Characters from the Milne Trust in the last couple years (after settling over royalties owed for video sales and other uses).

What remains is a suit between Disney and the heirs to another company (Slessinger). Who owns the merchandise rights to Pooh. They currently get a few cents for each Pooh thing sold. However, there is a dissagreement as to whether or not DVDs, videos, and computer software constitute "merchandise."

The bottom line is that each party gets richer off of anything pooh that's sold, so it's highly unlikely that either want to kill this golden goose.

Disney Nick
06-12-2002, 04:29 PM
Yes, listen to cemeinke you do... Like he says, the suits have nothing to do with Disneyland opening a Pooh ride, and if they lose the lawsuit they still own the rights to Pooh and can open the ride.

Tigertail777
06-12-2002, 04:30 PM
What if it involves more than just DVD's and videos? What about all that gift shop junk? And then there's the whole issue of pics or souvineers modeled after the ride. As I understood it, the issue wasn't just videos and DVD's, it was the fact that Disney has not been paying the percentage of all pooh royalties that were originally agreed to, and was trying to cover up how much they were actually making on just the pooh merchandise, so the heirs wouldn't know. Then there is a whole 'nother can of worms with the "classic pooh" that Disney bought rights to for a certain number of years. I think everyone may be simplifying things too much this whole law-suit is far more complicated than I think anyone is letting on. Probably a huge head-ache for Disney legal, especially since it is rumored that they were slated to be audited at the request of the heirs.

Disney Nick
06-12-2002, 04:33 PM
Tigertail... you aren't getting it. Disney OWNS the rights to Pooh now. The suit is still over a dollar amount and even losing this law suit will only cause a judge to order Disney to PAY them a certain amount. The judge cannot take away Disney's rights to Pooh, so there is no danger to the opening of a Pooh ride.

merlinjones
06-12-2002, 04:35 PM
From what I read in a recent business article,

http://www.american-reporter.com/1848/73.html

if the Schlesingers can prove that Disney has been in breach of contract, there is a possibility that they can cancel Disney's domestic merchandising liscensing rights. Theme park usage may be considered merchandising rights, hence Disney's dilemma, since it's standard operating practice for their corporate culture to have been lying in fairly obvious ways.

Everyone must hope for an out of court settlement... but it could affect the ride.

Disney is certainly acting scared in the press.

Disney Nick
06-12-2002, 04:39 PM
There is a POSSIBLITY that IF Disney loses that their rights can be cancelled (This is the VERY FAR extreme and would most likely not happen. The family wants their money!). And it is again a POSSIBILITY that the ride can be considered merchandising right in the event that Disney loses. I expect this to be settled out of court and it should in all likelyhood not affect the ride in anyway. But that remote possibility is probably the reason Disney hasn't "officially" announced a Pooh ride, but I'm fairly sure they wouldn't stop building the ride and wait for a settlement before proceeding. This should all turn out to be a big deal about nothing...

HBTiggerFan
06-12-2002, 05:13 PM
In defense of my friend, he was not trying to act like he was "in the know" or anything. He was just telling me something that he overheard, which is why I said I was not stating this as fact and asked for clarifycation.

Originally posted by NMoreles
Definitely not true. Your friend is trying to look like he/she is "in the know". The dispute over Pooh has to do with royalties for video/dvd sales and it in no way affects Disneyland adding a Pooh ride.

Tigertail777
06-12-2002, 07:51 PM
WOW! OK I didn't know Disney outright bought pooh now...last I heard they were "leasing" him. So I sit corrected. But as others pointed out, they do stand a chance of losing some of those rights, I had heard that they were trying to get more control of the pooh license...didn't know it was already bought. Sorry.

disneyscott
06-12-2002, 09:10 PM
Here is a link that will shed some light in what is going on but it doesent tell about the ride http://c.moreover.com/click/here.pl?j40289112&w=2100566

Nigel2
06-13-2002, 09:13 PM
I don't know if this has already been said in one way or another but...
Even if they were no longer allowed to make any money off of Pooh they probably could keep the rides since niether ride takes in any direct revanue since they don't charge people to ride that one ride.:)

RStar
07-01-2002, 03:42 PM
No, but they do charge to get into the gate, so each ride is tied to all the attractions. It still boils down to profit. With all the money already poured into getting the ride started, I'm sure they wouldn't stall it because of the lawsuit. In fact I think they would try to finish it as fast as possible. Once they have it they own it and it would be harder for any one to keep them from running it. Besides, this whole thing is about money. All Disney would have to do is plop down the cash in the end to keep running the rides.

Pony Sugrue
07-01-2002, 03:59 PM
They better finish the doggone thing. Otherwise POOH wll be to COUNTRY BEARS what ROCKET RODS was to WEDWAY and CIRCLE-VISION. Just a kamikaze that kills both; leaving another void.

Baloo
07-01-2002, 06:18 PM
Expect to hear the news about POOH coming to Disneyland before the end of this month. Work has not stopped as a matter of fact the tracks are starting to be visible emerging from the old bridge entrance of country Bears.

steamboatStu
07-01-2002, 06:21 PM
Just a couple of Pooh related tidbits...

First, the country bears WILL NOT be moving to Cal Adventures. Rumors to this fact are completely unfounded.

Secondly, unlike the WDW version of the pooh ride, guests will not ride the ride in honey pots. They will ride in honeycombs!

This information courtesy of the Club 33 thirty-fifth anniversary dinner.

ps. The tower of terror will have three elevators unlike WDW's two! {SHHHHHH!!!!}