PDA

View Full Version : A poll for CMs

Cadaverous Pallor
06-12-2002, 02:47 PM
Well, thamnarestan came back, and once again he says that most CMs don't care about "all this Disney crap".

I want this thread to be a place for everyone that was or is a CM to state how they feel. Do you work there because you love Disney, or because you need to pay your bills? Is there still magic in the park for you? And if there isn't, why work there, and not at some other job?

Please post here ONLY if you are or were a Disneyland Resort CM. Thank you! :)

corrinhorn
06-12-2002, 03:20 PM
I think I already made my thoughts clear, but I will reiterate...I still value the magic

It is 4th on the list of Seven...Cast Members you know what that means!

marron-cream
06-12-2002, 05:00 PM
Do you work there because you love Disney, or because you need to pay your bills? Is there still magic in the park for you? And if there isn't, why work there, and not at some other job?

I do and I don't care about all the 'Disney crap'.

It's all a half and half situation. Let's see... I love Disney but I dislike some of the constant changes that current Disney management throw out at us, without ever giving any thought as to if they would REALLY WORK or not. Maybe some Store Ops CMs will know what I mean.

Why do I work at DLR? Well, I have friends there, and I do enjoy seeing them regularly. I have bills to pay. And yes, there is still some excitement at the thought that "I work at DISNEYLAND!", etc.

One more thing, and I hope this doesn't get me flamed out of here, but unless you work at DL on a regular basis (aka 5 days a week, 30+ hours, 52 weeks a year), it's hard for anyone to understand exactly why CMs feel the way they do. CMs might gripe off stage, but that's generally we're pleasant to everyone at work.

Hope this makes sense.

tikiboy
06-12-2002, 05:51 PM
It always seemed to me that there are three kinds of people who work at Disneyland. Keep in mind that I am talking here about hourly CMs.

1. Students
2. Disney lovers
3. Ex-students who have fallen into a rut of routine. a.k.a. Bitter Lifers.
4. People who need benefits.

I think most people "who don't give a cr**" are of group numbers 3 and 4.

Group 4 is easy to explain:
Disneyland is one of a few places I can name that gives out full medical, dental, and a 401k to hourly employees. Not to mention, none of these jobs require any kind of education.

In a department that I worked in, I saw these people complain everyday about working there, but they needed the benefits for their families.

Group 3:
There are a number of CMs who have non marketable degrees. They just keep working at Disneyland because it's comfortable and they can't find work for which they studied. Plus, since these people are usually in their mid 20's, they also need the benefits. Something they can't easily find somewhere else.

Group 2:
Ahh...I don't think I need to explain the Disney lovers. These people work at Disneyland because they love it. They don't do it for the money, they don't do it for the benifits. They do it because there is nothing else they'd rather be doing.

Group 1:
I was in this group, and it's also the largest group. Most CMs are just working their way through school. These people need money, but they also love working for Disney. Since the Disney name attracts the best people, it's very easy to meet good friends, (and spouses ;) )

While working there, I didn't see many students working at Disneyland, "for the money." Because if you're looking for a job just for money, you won't go to Disney. Just for the basic facts of working there. You have to be in the parking lot 45-60min before your shift, and you don't leave the parking lot until about 45-60min after your shift. Not to mention there are a lot of other jobs out there that pay $9/hr, and don't require you to work all hours of the day.

I'm sure I'll get a lot of comments on the above. So have at it.

RandomCM
06-12-2002, 08:12 PM
To answer your question ... I LOVE working at Disneyland. I have asked other CM this question as well and they look at me like I am a freak when i ask if it is becasue of the pay. There aren't too many departments that pay VERY well.
I cannot speak for ALL of the CM at DLR, but for me I work there for many reasons.
#1- I LOVE Disneyland and have since I was a kid.
#2 - I didn't have a great childhood, and so by me working at The Happiest Place on Earth, I am in a way re-caputring my childhood that I lost.
#3 - I feel safe and comfortable there, it is home.
#4- The experience of meeting many, many differnt people on a daily bassis.
#5 - I get in for free any day I want. (Trust me, none of my sign-ins go to waste)
#6 - I live with my family so money isn't something that is HIGH in priority for me in this time in my life.
#7 - I would love nothing more then to be the Pres. of Disneyland Resort. It is my life long dream!!
Hope thoes are enough reasons for you guys. It is enough for me, after a LONG day of being screamed at and yelled at by many, many guests telling me that MY park isn't up to their standards. Even after all that, I still LOVE to go ot work everyday. I am even there when I am not working, just hanging out!! I love the place!!
:)

Rallymonkey23
06-12-2002, 08:14 PM
I've always felt the magic in Disneyland. I guess when I worked there, it was even more magical cause I got to please so many guest at one time. So, yeah, I would have to say that I liked the money.... But Love Disneyland.

dcaprincess
06-12-2002, 08:20 PM
Personally for myself, when I first got hired I cried because I didn't like Disney and didnt want to work there but was going to work there because i needed a job. I started and even then wanted to leave, I got to know people and learn about the parks and Walt. Now I am in to it because I love the environment and the cast members that I became friends with. Granted the fact that there is lots of crap we have to take but as long as we (as cast members) remember the good times and the magic we can create then its a wonderful place to work. So speaking for myself I am in it for the guest, ya I need the money, but thats not why I am working there, its a wonderful place to work

Mouse
06-12-2002, 08:31 PM
There is a certain curiosity that goes with working at DLR. People are always excited when they learn that I work there. I enjoy Disneyland. I had an AP for one year in elementary school. I consider Disneyland a fun job. If I didn't like it, I would quit. I don't believe there are multitudes of bitter cast members. It does seem like some people spend their breaks griping about some stupid or rude guest, but often these are "top-that" stories and the cast doesn't sincerely dislike their job.

As a cast member I don't feel that I have been disenchanted. When I go into the park as a guest I simply have more of an appreciation for all that goes into making a theme park run.

tinkfreak
06-12-2002, 09:00 PM
While I agree that the money is a little better than most jobs pay to people with basically no learned skills or college education, it's not why I stay. BTW, I know there are plenty of CM's with skills and education, I'm just saying it's not a must to get hired. The benefits, however, once you get them, are awesome. I pay next to nothing for full medical, dental AND vision, not to mention the 401K and pension. This is the only job I've ever had with ANY kind of benefits. Until I eventually attend and finish college (yes, I'm that un-motivated) I really need that stuff.

Although I feel that each year is consistantly worse than the last, and I often go in to work thinking "What new program are they going to throw at me today?" or "What's simple and easy for me right now that management can make twice as complicated?" I still love it. Not for what Disney is today, but for what it was in the beginning and for what those of us who truly love it know that it could be. Oh and also I have this thing about Tink...:cool:

feb02
06-12-2002, 09:06 PM
I have always wanted to work for Disney
It's great, you get tons of perks
BUT
I'm pretty ticked off at Eisner.
I believe in the magic that Walt created. Since Eisner took over, Disney has become financially stronger - but quality has taken a dive.
His motto seems to be "Make a buck"
What do I have to say to him? "Quality not quantity. Enough with the straight to video crap, no more sequels, cut corners on your paycheck - not on everyone else's. Keep the classic rides and attractions, and create similar rides. Don't replace beloved attractions with pithy imitations. LISTEN TO YOUR CASTMEMBERS!! We know what the guests want - we get to listen to their complaints every day!"

bluepearl
06-12-2002, 09:53 PM
I agree with a lot of what marron-cream posted (about the Store Ops CMs) and other stuff everyone's posted. I got a job there because I figured that as an AP, I was there every week anyway, so I might as well get paid to be there. While I don't have the best shifts (always closing) and guests can be quite cranky at night before they go home, I have made some really good friends. And I think the perks are really good in my case - my aunt loves Disney and she loves the fact that she can get stuff at Company D, and we always take an annual trip to Disneyland for my mom's birthday, so this year I can take her there for free.

And they pay me better than my minimum wage job at Borders. I was UTTERLY unhappy at Borders and at Disneyland, I'm happier. I'm also planning to move out in a few months so I'm hoping I'll make enough to get by (which, again, is better than what I was making at Borders). Plus, today I was talking to my cousin's niece, and I told her I worked at Disneyland while I was showing her my Lilo & Stitch plush. She smiled and her eyes lit up and she said, "Really??" It made me smile in turn.

ArthurBang
06-12-2002, 10:23 PM
I'm surprised that there have been a lot of negatives mentioned about Store Operations. I work at DCA, Store Ops, have been there over a year and a half, and I can't think of one thing I'd complain about.

On top of that, I've never had a "cranky guest" .. Maybe Disneyland is different, I don't know.. I do get the strange guests though :)

Main Street Magic
06-13-2002, 08:47 AM
Being a former CM, I'd like to say that I had a job when I applied at DL so I didn't go for the money. I knew that I wasn't going to become rich working there, but I wanted to work at DL! And I enjoyed every day I worked there. Has the magic gone? Well, somewhat. I agree with the fact that there appear to be some parks out there that have "outdone" DL (these still have the Disney name on them) but these parks are just a little far away from me at the moment and I don't think I'll ever see them. I currenly am closer to WDW than DL and am glad for that since it appears that DL has become stagnant. Now before someone jumps on me saying that there is a second theme park in the DL parking lot and there is Downtown Disney, let me say that I haven't visited it yet and hopefully when I get the opportunity to return to the west coast I will check it out.

But the real let down for me is how DL appears to be treated. I mean really now, letting tomorrowland become (empty sub lagoon, no people mover but the track is still there, et. al). My only hope is that someone someday will wake up and get DL back in shape.

mrcoaster
06-13-2002, 09:31 AM
I was a monorail guy at WDW(and briefly a merchandise guy) for 6 years. I went to work at Disney with the idea of slipping into the PR dept. after a while. I loved Disney as a kid and wanted to drive the monorail. So when I had the chance, I was thrilled. I quickly lost a bit of that magic after working there for a while. I can still enjoy the parks and the Disney magic, but I also found that it's a lot like any other huge corporation. Lotta BS, politics and a few good people who still make it tolerable.

My experience in 'Rails was that there was a huge percentage of lifers. Especially among some of the supervisors (lower mgmt) in our area. They had been at Disney for a decade or more, mostly moving sideways from dept. to dept. They were mostly concerned with what would help them finally move UP. So, their help would tend to come only if it could help them. Few would ever go out of their way to help you.

Politics run the little world and Disney is no difference. I also grew tired of the BS cover stories for changes the company would make.

For example, at one point Disney cut back from having a parade at MK and Illuminations at Epcot every night. They alternated them every other night (with the Studios, too...if I remember correctly). The memo telling us why (we know why - it's money...and that's fine), told us to tell guests how it was impossible to see both shows in one night and by alternating them, they could help you see them easier. Huh? By showing half as many performances during the week, it's better? It's really about controlling the crowds and cutting costs. I know we can't say that exactly, but the BS about how it was better to have half as many shows was something few I told it to believed. That's just an example.

Then there was the time when our Cast Christmas got eliminated in favor of more Mickey's Christmas parties. Rather than the cast getting a weekend of Christmas employee only nights, they became open-to-the-public Mickey's Christmas Nights. We were told we could come in during normal hours (gee - didn't I already have this bennie?) and get a discount on food. Part of the charm of the Christmas Party was being in the park with your fellow cast and no GP. Oh, well...things change.

Ok, I'm not a horribly bitter person about it. I did enjoy working there (mostly for the people I worked with and the job was rarely hard. Sure beat sitting in an office. I still haven't worked in my degree field as I can make more money and avoid an office that way. Still, having seen a lot of the behind the scenes kind of stuff (not that Disney Channel produced stuff...the real behind the scenes stuff), I can say I'll never be able to look at it in quite the same way.

Doesn't mean I'm not taking my daughter to DL and DCA next week during the Coaster Convention and won't have an absolute blast! I just burned out of the place. :D

(spelling edit)

marron-cream
06-13-2002, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by ArthurBang
I'm surprised that there have been a lot of negatives mentioned about Store Operations. I work at DCA, Store Ops, have been there over a year and a half, and I can't think of one thing I'd complain about.

I dunno, maybe it's different than DL?

I don't mean to give the impression that working in DL stores is an awful experience... I was referring to a somewhat recent new implementation that makes it harder to keep things running smoothly. Ah, never mind! :)

WDWalways
06-13-2002, 09:48 AM
I've never been a CM but I just wanted to say the CM's in the outdoors areas of WDW from what I can see always seem to be retired folks who just need the extra cash, students who need the cash and once in a blue moon someone who actually loves Disney and chooses to work there though they probably don't have to. Ever notice how practically everyone is either very young or quite old??? Rarely do you see someone in between IMO.

RandomCM
06-13-2002, 12:52 PM
I almost forgot something!! When i was hired in a bout 2 years ago I made a promise to my self that the second I loose the magic, I'll turn in my two weeks. I practically live there and I still have a love for MY land!

As for Tomorrowland being left alone, you can't really blame ANYONE for it. WDI tried their best, they know it's an empty area, they want to go forth with other attractions, but they need the ok from the big man with the budget control. There are MANY cool things in store for our 50years celebration, but we all need to be patient. I know DL was built in a year and one day, but give WDI some time. They can only work on a few things at one time.

I think that it helps if all of us CMs stick together. Instead of getting mad and pointing the finger, we need to realize ... Yes we WERE the first Disneyland. So in turn we are like the older sibbiling of all the other parks. We want all the attention that we used to get. But we need to share the attention and realize that we are not the only one. Eisner may be on top of the Disney company, he ISN'T god and there is only SO much he and the others can do! (Really, we should all stick together!!)

mrcoaster
06-13-2002, 01:34 PM
Yeah, Eisner always irritated me. He did some good things for Disney, but he is just too damn arrogant. I'll never forget the interview he did with CNN once while we were in contract negotiations. He said the CM's were already getting paid too much for the job they do.

As for the young and old CM thing, I worked with quite a few retired gentlemen - all of whom were great guys to work with. They usually all had a great sense of humor and had as much fun as anybody. Young people were either college kids or post-college people who stuck around. The younger CMs were usually either college students, HS grads who had a decent thing going money-wise/bennie-wise with easy work, or college grads who bypassed their field to stay at Disney for various reasons.

Unlike Random's plan (above post), I stayed a little too long after I'd lost the magic. I saw a ton of CM's leave and then eventually come crawling back to start over (losing all that seniority and pay!!). I likened it to an episode of Star Trek where the ship is trying to break free of the planet's gravity (where you are the ship and Disney is the planet). Either you succeed in breaking free, or you come crashing back into the planet, stuck forever. ;)

bluepearl
06-13-2002, 02:16 PM
ArthurBang: I'm not a Disneyland CM; I'm out over in Downtown Disney. I think most of the cranky guests I've had are understandably cranky, after a long day at the park with screaming children and general tiredness. But there are others. It's sad how the negative always outweighs the positives, even if there are more positives.

When I applied though, I wanted to work at DCA. While I like where I'm at now, I definitely wouldn't mind getting a random shift inside the park.

marron-cream
06-13-2002, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by mrcoaster
I saw a ton of CM's leave and then eventually come crawling back to start over (losing all that seniority and pay!!).

Heh heh... you reminded me of another reason why I stay... I can't stand the thought of giving up my hard-earned seniority. :D

Briarose710
06-13-2002, 10:43 PM
I Love Disney and always have been a big fan of the mouse BUT latley i find work isnt as much fun as it once was. i lovemy fellow cast members and i try and make it fun but i do have to say In store ops latley if you're not totally easy-going the new procedure changes are frustrating although if youwant to make it work you can.
(it does seem though that theres a huge differnce in DCA and DL stores , the way it all seems to work , same policies but its just diffrent.)
work disney for the money?? i' only CR so i dont get benefits so i'm sure thats not it
I work there because i love the job i love being able to say i work at the park AND i love when people are gnuinley having a great time and enjoying themselves and feel the need to let me in on it.
for every cranky guest (and in Greetings fromCA as we're tryin to close the doors there are many of those) there's more kids that are having their first magical visit of the adults 'big kids" having their 100h magical visit. it all seems to even out in the end.

Cadaverous Pallor
06-14-2002, 08:53 AM
Reading these posts has been very enlightening! Sounds like Disney is just like any other corporation, with the usual pitfalls of management, bureacracy, dealing with guests, etc. And your experiences working there sound about like what I expected.

If I were any good at dealing with the public, I'd work there too. :D

tabacco
06-14-2002, 09:15 PM
I'm a current castmember (CT, returning to work Sunday). I actually went to the trouble of arranging for an apartment from across the state after the cancellation of the college program this year. Yeah, I could have gotten a local (and probably much higher paying) job more easily, but I didn't. That should tell you something :)

I still love the park enough that I still go there to hang out every now and then on days off.

I know a lot of castmembers will probably disagree with this for one reason or another, but I consider it the best job I've ever had thus far. It's too easy to get upset by hours, unions, management, or whatever and lose sight of the facts that a) you're working at DISNEYLAND for cryin' out loud, b) your co-workers are almost always, 99.99% of the time, really wonderful people (which is pretty gosh darn rare), and c) you've got the chance to make literally hundreds of people's days just a little bit brigher every hour. Name me one other job in the world where you can say all three of those things (although I admit that (a) does unfairly limit that a bit). You have to look past the petty jobbish stuff like "I never get the hours I want" or "Management won't let me wear my earring" and whatnot and try to see the silver lining. Sure, maybe you'll even get the occasional angry or irrational guest. That's all part of customer service, though. No matter what you do, you can't please everyone so you might as well do the best you can and try to enjoy it.

[/soapbox]