PDA

View Full Version : Big rant for Anaheim Hacienda Inn!

Pages : [1] 2

mw9955
04-06-2007, 08:24 PM
Okay, so my husband, six-year old daughter and I decided to go to DL during spring break!

We left central California Wednesday night after work (8pm) and drove straight through with no problems. I reserved a room Wednesday morning at Anaheim Hacienda Inn for $60 a night (2 nights). I never stayed there, but based on reviews at Travelocity and other sites, it seemed clean and convenient. BIG MISTAKE!!

I checked in late and staff was always nice - but the room, oh man... I am NOT picky when it comes to rooms at all, but this was so bad, my six year old daughter cried when she realized we had to stay there.

When we first walked in the door (first time in years given a key instead of a card key) my daughter and I saw a cockroach on the bed spead! Ick, I killed it. Or so I thought - because I later saw the trash can I threw it in to be totally empty! :confused:

Then, my husband pulls back the bedspread and found dirty sheets.. A big curly hair was lying on the pillow, EWWWW! Also, a blood spot on another pillow. You can tell it wasn't changed. The clerk later said they had to have been changed but the laundry service they sent it to must have sent back dirty sheets. Yeah right.

I immediately called several hotel/motels from the phone book, but alas, they were completely sold out or very, very expensive. (This is the point my daughter cried) I went to the front desk and of course there were no other rooms, so I asked for completely clean bedding which they gave me. The rest of the room was dusty in all corners. The carpet and bathroom were okay, but I kept slippers on at all times, even in the tub. It did have a fridge and microwave, but I didn't use them.

Maybe it was just my room, but I doubt it. Don't always trust hotel review on travel sites for sure (the owners probably post on it lol!)

Grumpy Pete
04-06-2007, 08:33 PM
Thanks for the heads up. It's always nice to be forewarned. We'll be sure to avoid this one. :eek:

Andrew
04-06-2007, 08:36 PM
Please submit this to the MousePlanet review system (http://www.mouseplanet.com/reviews). I know people will want to read about your experience!

TheYeti
04-06-2007, 09:03 PM
Thank you for the heads up, we are not picky either… but dirty sheets and roaches that play possum? Yuck! Your six year old crying made my heart ache.:crying: I thought about my own girls and how they would have reacted to this, especially when everyone is so excited about DL. Did you all at least have a great time at the park?

Andrew
04-06-2007, 09:19 PM
Maybe MousePlanet should open our own hotel.

mw9955
04-07-2007, 07:50 AM
Thank you for the heads up, we are not picky either… but dirty sheets and roaches that play possum? Yuck! Your six year old crying made my heart ache.:crying: I thought about my own girls and how they would have reacted to this, especially when everyone is so excited about DL. Did you all at least have a great time at the park?

We had a great time at the parks! Being so busy, we decided not to try to ride every single attracton, but take our time to scope out good seats for Jedi Training (she got picked and fought Darth Vadar!), the parade (on a bench right up front!), Junior Chef etc... It was much less stressful that way and it was a whole new experience for us without any disappointments. :D

Thanks so much for asking!

simnia
04-07-2007, 07:51 AM
my daughter and I saw a cockroach on the bed spead!

[motel manager rolls the cigar in his mouth:] "Whatsa matter kid, you ain't seen a cockroach before?"

Not to make fun, the motel does sound bad, but I've seen or heard of cockroaches in a large percentage of the hotels, dorms, and restaurants I've been in, even reasonably fancy places, so to me one cockroach doesn't make a place bad. I could be wrong, but I suspect there's no way to completely get rid of them, like ants or flies.

mw9955
04-07-2007, 07:52 AM
Maybe MousePlanet should open our own hotel.

Yeah! :D I have always taken the great advice of Mouseplanet reviews when making plans or reservations, and I will never again stray LOL! Later today, I will post in the travel review section!

mw9955
04-07-2007, 08:00 AM
[motel manager rolls the cigar in his mouth:] "Whatsa matter kid, you ain't seen a cockroach before?"

Not to make fun, the motel does sound bad, but I've seen or heard of cockroaches in a large percentage of the hotels, dorms, and restaurants I've been in, even reasonably fancy places, so to me one cockroach doesn't make a place bad. I could be wrong, but I suspect there's no way to completely get rid of them, like ants or flies.

Very true! And I've stayed at many hotels/motels.. This one gave me the "dirty" feeling when I was in it. I just couldn't relax. The bedding had smalls holes, pillows were yellow/stained, curtains very filthy, air conditioner broken, you know - just a place where the owners don't put any money into it. Not having a laundry on site probably makes a difference from other places. I will stick to the great places across the crosswalk and within walking distance from the park.

simnia
04-07-2007, 08:20 AM
This one gave me the "dirty" feeling when I was in it.

I know the type of place. Reminds me of the Aztec Motel in San Diego, which was basically just a place to meet prostitutes, I found out too late when they wouldn't refund my money, then called the police on me for complaining! My own reaction at Anaheim Hacienda would have been to take photos, especially of the Mysterious Vanishing Cockroach, and then post the photos on the Internet!

There are always hotels available: you just have to go farther away from Disneyland to find vacancies. I've never even heard of Anaheim Hacienda, which is why I decided to read your post.

The Evil Queen
04-07-2007, 08:52 AM
EEEEEEWWWW!!!! Yucky! Thanks for the heads up and I'm sorry that you had to go thru this! Your poor little girl...

Malcon10t
04-07-2007, 08:55 AM
I would also suggest posting at Tripadvisor.com to warn others of your experience. They have nothing current and people may think it has changed since the 2004 post warning about prostitutes and bugs.

Lekta
04-07-2007, 09:27 AM
Sounds eerily similar to my experience at the Alamo Inn. First thing I saw there when I walked in was a giant cockroach that took some wrangling to finally tame, trick, then crush. They must breed em smarter in Anaheim. =)

cookie7762
04-07-2007, 10:56 AM

I completely disagree. In all my 23 years of life, probably 20 of those years memorable, I have stayed in many hotels and eaten at many places and I have NEVER EVER seen a cockroach in my life that wasn't on the discovery channel or the ones I saw in an open air mart in hawaii. If I ever saw one in a place I planned to sleep it would be an immediate deal breaker and I would sleep in the car! To me cockroaches = dirty

tonytone
04-09-2007, 09:17 AM
...To me cockroaches = dirty
I guess that means you'd never partake in eating some Madagascar Hissing Cockroaches on Fear Factor... ;) ;)

jeffthechef
04-09-2007, 10:10 AM
$60 per night during a peak time (Spring Break/ Easter) is a tip-off for me. All of decent hotels charge around $99 during non-peak times, so something is fishy...

rentayenta
04-09-2007, 08:04 PM
Thanks for the warning. Other than the room, it sounds like you had a great time! :)

cookie7762
04-09-2007, 08:09 PM
I guess that means you'd never partake in eating some Madagascar Hissing Cockroaches on Fear Factor... ;) ;)

oh god no! you got that right! on that note, maybe they consider them part of the free continental breakfast ;)

Katlovett
04-09-2007, 08:13 PM
I used to live in Garden Grove near Westminster and Euclid ("Little Saigon") when I was a welfare mom, so I have seen the Anaheim/Garden Grove cockroaches. They must be some extra-big tropical kind, similar to the ones you hear about in Florida and Mexico. Very tough to kill. (A law degree and a pile of money later, I hired a pest control that came monthly to deal with that issue - along with the ant colonies 50 feet down into the ground from 'way back when this was all orange groves.)

Cockroaches I can deal with. Human blood contamination - NOT A CHANCE!!! OH MY GOD!!! ICKY, ICKY, ICKY!!! Would your child feel better if we send you some of the Dream ears we won? Can you message me your address?

Katprint

adriennek
04-09-2007, 08:58 PM
All of decent hotels charge around $99 during non-peak times, so something is fishy...

Oooh, call a AAA agent, you can do better than $99 a night.

Adrienne

danyoung
04-10-2007, 04:54 AM
I completely disagree. In all my 23 years of life, probably 20 of those years memorable, I have stayed in many hotels and eaten at many places and I have NEVER EVER seen a cockroach in my life that wasn't on the discovery channel or the ones I saw in an open air mart in hawaii.

While I can't comment on your excellent 20 years, I'd say based on my experience that you've been incredibly lucky. I've been in top notch hotels and seen a little bugger scurrying across the carpet. It depends on the region of the country, humidity, etc. I'd much prefer a roach free room, of course. But the sight of one roach isn't a deal breaker for me.

Blood on the sheets is another matter entirely!!!

simnia
04-10-2007, 05:36 AM
Ick, I killed it. Or so I thought - because I later saw the trash can I threw it in to be totally empty!

That one's easy to explain. The rats ate it. :)

cillydznygirl
04-10-2007, 04:42 PM
Reminds me of a hotel we stayed in New York. Not only was there blood on the pillowcases there was blood splatter on the ceiling. We were out of there pronto!!! I didn't want to be there when CSI:NY showed up ;)

AngelInside
04-11-2007, 02:20 PM
I will never book a hotel through travelocity again. I had a similar situation happen when me and my husband booked a hotel for a disney trip.

The hotel was rated as a 3 when I first booked, then travelocity called me a couple of days later and said they were downgrading the hotel to a 2. I asked the guy on the phone why the rating had changed. He stated that it was just due to travelocity upgrading it's rating standards, and it didn't have anything to do with the cleanliness of the hotel.

Well when we checked it, the place looked old and rundown. We went to our room and the room smelled horrible, like smoke, but not cigarette or cigar smoke, there were ants on the counter, the sheets were dirty, the carpet was stained, the bathtub had mildew all around it. Well we called the front desk requesting a new room but they didn't have any, but they offer us a can of lysol and bug killer. I called travelocity and told them about the problem. After being told there is nothing they could do since I was informed of the downgrade, I asked to speak with a supervisor who then said that she could refund me the rest of my stay but I'd be charged the 1 night. Well we took it, and had to pay for a high priced hotel beca it was a last minute booking and most hotels were booked. We had to do it though because our daughter was joining us the next night and I wasn't about to have her stay in that dump!

jazzysmom
04-12-2007, 07:47 AM
I am totally grossed out. As a travel agent I have never booked anyone there (thank goodness) and will add them to my "avoid at all costs list". Thank you!