PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland Newbie, WDW Vet... A few questions...

TinkyKat
04-06-2007, 07:13 PM
Hello! We are planning our very first trip to DL in JJUne. I have a few major questions...

Is 41/2 days enough?
Is there dining i shouldn't miss?
How are the character meals?
Do I need to make ADR's?
Anything else we shouldn't miss??

Thanks sooo much!

TinaMouse
04-06-2007, 07:40 PM
You're going to have a great time! Yes, 4-1/2 days seems great. Are you staying on-site or close by?

Dining--Depends on who is "we"--kids? adults? Need more info, but I like the French Dips at the French Market (New Orleans square) as well as the experience of Blue Bayou.

I didn't have any ADRs and walked up, but I suppose it depends exactly when you're there--June might be fairly busy.

I enjoy experiencing the differences in the Magic Kingdoms--not to say, "This one is better; this one is worse" (although there's been plenty of threads to discuss such topics), but just to note the differences. That being said, make sure to hit Mr Toad, Alice, Matterhorn, and Pinnocchio since WDW doesn't have them. I do enjoy checking on POTC and Haunted Mansion! In DCA, I really like Grizzly River Run and I enjoyed Monsters, Inc, although some don't like it.

My favorite attraction was the animation complex. There's a short drawing class with a real, live (!!) animator. It was FAB! Aladdin is also very, very good. Thrills? TOT and California Screamin'. You couldn't PAY me to go on the Sun Wheel thingie.

Be sure to at least go through the Grand Californian. It's awesome!
Hope this helps. You'll have a GREAT time!

TinkyKat
04-06-2007, 09:49 PM
Thanks so much! Its so weird to be clueless about anything Disney to me..lol. Its just hubby and me going, we are visiting friends first then staying right next door to DL! I can't wait, its my bday present!!!
We def don't mind waiting to get into places as long as we know we wont get turned away because we dont have ressies, ya know!?
Thanks again!

Baloo
04-06-2007, 10:11 PM
Just remember that the resort area is much much much smaller than WDW but Disneyland actually has more attractions than the MK and MGM put together.

The parks walkways are tighter than any park in the MK so if it starts feeling a bit crowded head over to DCA. The walkways are much larger and the area is more open and relaxing.

Whatever you do DO NOT miss the entertainment. Anaheim has great entertainment. The fireworks are spectacular. Since you are staying their 4 days i suggest you watching it at IASW mall area then seeing the show again on mainstreet. Its two very diferent experiences.

If Fantasmic is showing when you come do nto miss it. It is much more spectacular then the MGM one. The whole idea of it taking over the whole west side of the park is awesome. the best views for it are front and center right across from Pirates entrance near the river (caution do not get to close to the railings though because they make you sit down and the railing might block your view) Another good area is on the crossbridge over Pirates entrance. They allow people to stand in that area about two people deep.

If you want to see it at another angle, usually the area in front of the Haunted mansion near the rivers edge is less crowded (there is a smoking section so people with kids stay away, if you do not mind some smoke for a little while that arae might work. Note though some of the things happening on the Island might not be visible because of the angle)

In DCA do not miss the animation courtyard. there is plenty to do in the four sections inside the building.

Do not forget to see Alladin, Its a great show my suggestion is to sit as close as possible to the front of the second level. I do not suggest the highest level its way to high and you will be looking down. Also avoid the back of the second level yo will miss some action.

If you sit on the bottom level do not sit to close to the stage. Either sit towards the back of the first section near the walkway or the first row of the section section.

I suggest you that when you want to relax without goig back to your hotel, consider going thru DCA and into the GCHotel. Head towards the grizzley area. The park has an exclusive entrance into the hotel. All you need to do is exit thru the gate and it leads you directly into the garden and pool area. Head towards the lobby and just enjoy the place and relax.

On your way to the lobby you will pass thru the storyteller cafe. they have great buffet and the food is very good. Or you could go into one of the bars and enjoy your drink there or in the garden.

Do not miss DCA at sundown. It is a spectacular site. I usually like to find myself a bench near the bay and watch the sunset as it shines on the bay and the background of the pier lights up.

The park is actually much more beautiful in the evening. The lighting is spectacular in all the sections of DCA.

Also enjoy yourself do not be afraid to have fun on the small attractions in Flicks Fun Fair. The small Bugsland themed area actually is very well made. the attractions ar simple but enjoyable and the whole feel of the land changes drastically as the sunsets. Even the themed audio in the area as well as the restrooms change.

Enjoy your trip and let us know how it went when you get back

hlbtimes2
04-07-2007, 08:55 AM
ADR's are "PS" aka: priority seating at DL. They can be made up to 60 days in advance. They are not needed as much as they are in WDW. There are plenty of walk up places, and you dont need PS for those. I wouldnt make more then probably one PS a day. The rest of the time just take it as it comes.

For character meals my family likes Minnies at the plaza inn on main street. We love being able to stay in the park for it. There is a mix of characters and the food is good. We like to do it on an early entry day. We eat a light breakfast at the hotel, hit early entry to play for a couple hours, then hit a late breakfast at the park is getting busy.

TinkyKat
04-07-2007, 08:59 AM
Thank you so much everyone for the awesome tips...i'm so excited! Keep 'em coming!!!

adriennek
04-07-2007, 09:00 AM
For don't miss dining - I would suggest considering a date at Napa Rose in the Grand California Hotel. I suggest getting a PS if you want a table - or dine in the lounge if you don't have a PS.

For don't miss rides:

Don't miss Soarin' Over California (my very favorite ride.)

Adrienne

HobbitFeet
04-07-2007, 09:26 AM
ADR's are "PS" aka: priority seating at DL. They can be made up to 60 days in advance.

Quick question. Does "up to 60 days in advance" mean you can make them between 1 and 60 days before your trip, or from when yoiu book to 60 days, and after that you're out of luck?

I keep reading that phrase and my ridiculous brain can make it seem fine BOTH ways, so clarification would be great.

Malcon10t
04-07-2007, 09:36 AM
Quick question. Does "up to 60 days in advance" mean you can make them between 1 and 60 days before your trip, or from when yoiu book to 60 days, and after that you're out of luck?

I keep reading that phrase and my ridiculous brain can make it seem fine BOTH ways, so clarification would be great.
You can make PS between 60 days and hours before your requested date. But, once they are booked up, you are out of luck. Places like Blue Bayou do not leave room for walk ups during busy times.

Micki0624
04-07-2007, 09:52 PM
Breakfast
We like doing either Goofy's Kitchen or The Plaza Inn Character Breakfasts
Carnation Cafe
River Bell Terrace

Lunch/Dinner
Cafe Orleans
Blue Bayou for the experience
Napa Rose has the best food

At DCA we like going to the Paradise Pier Bar. They have full service bar and a great appetizer menu. Pub grub kinda stuff.

If you have access to a car and can drive go to Mrs. Knotts Restaurant and Knott's Berry Farm. About 10 min N. on Harbor in Fullerton is a great Italian restaurant called Angelo and Vinci's. We always go to these two places since they are gems.

I would make PS for any restaurant you know that you don't want to miss.

Last but not least get a Dole Whip and a Churro! :D

petesimac
04-08-2007, 08:38 AM
With 4 1/2 days, you should be able to see and do everything. I went to DL for the first time (after dozens of WDW trips under my belt) and made sure I went on every attraction, just to see the differences. GO ON EVERYTHING, at least in DL, California Adventures should be an afterthought. As for dining, Blue Bayou, Blue Bayou, Blue Bayou!!! Incredible. Also, don't forget the restaurants in Downtown Disney. It's a great set-up because walking from Disneyland Hotel, you walk right through Downtown Disney on the way to the parks! When I was there we ate at several of the restaurants there on the way back to our room.

Autopia Guy
04-08-2007, 11:30 AM
You can make PS between 60 days and hours before your requested date. But, once they are booked up, you are out of luck. Places like Blue Bayou do not leave room for walk ups during busy times.

Yup, any time from 60 days out till the time you want. Ive had the fortune of getting a Blue Bayou PS in just 30 mins before the time that it was for. They sure looked at me funny when I came up to the door and said I was there for my PS and I said I made it 30 mins ago. Literally made it at the counter in Ariel's Grotto in DCA, and had the time to walk over to NOS and tell them I was there for my PS. Fun times.

If you are there after the 15th of June, Fantasmic should be going again. It is really worth it to see it. Remember, there should be 2 showings of Fantasmic nightly, so don't panic about it being right before the fireworks. Watch the fireworks from IASM or the top of MS, then work your way over to the Rivers of America to view it. Also, the electric parade should be showing nightly in DCA at that time. That one is another don't miss if you are a big Disney fan.

As for rides, 4 and a half days should be more than enough to do everything that the park has to offer. Just keep in mind that Subs should be open right before your visit, so expect the lagoon area and back up to IASM to be crowded as that is where the line is going to go.

Bytebear
04-08-2007, 05:53 PM
Indiana Jones is a Disneyland original, and Space Mountain is a different experience, and I love the Matterhorn. For a good meal at a reasonable price I like Rancho del Zocholo (sp). It's right in Frontierland and has plenty of outdoor seating. If you haven't done Soarin' at Epcot, you should see it at DCA. You have plenty of time to do both parks. Do DCA on your first couple days in the afternoon, and watch the Electrical Parade if you haven't seen it before. Because Disneyland and DCA are literally a few steps from each other, you can do both parks together. Learn the secrets of Fastpasses.

petesimac
04-08-2007, 06:50 PM
Yes, the corn muffins at Ranch del Zocolo are incredible!

PanFan
04-08-2007, 07:08 PM
I was in a similar boat last summer--I've been to DL a million times but made my first WDW trip for DH's and my one year anniversary, so I had my own thread like this on the WDW board!

We managed to do WDW in 3 1/2 days (no, not everything, but we did hit all 4 parks and did everything we wanted to do in each one), so 4 1/2 for DL and DCA should definitely be enough. The thing that helped me the most for my trip was buying the Unofficial Guide to WDW. The touring plans were fabulous and we were able to be familiar enough with the parks before we got there to know what we wanted to do and where we wanted to eat. They even had little tips in there about fun things most newbies wouldn't even know to look for (like Epcot's Coke tasting from around the world and the Indy set pieces near the Indy stunt show) and I'm sure they'd have similar things for the DLR version. Just reading it made me more excited about my trip and I really felt prepared and relaxed as we entered the parks each day.

I can't remember if they have these at WDW or not, but definitely get a Dole Whip from the stand at the Tiki Room and a Mickey shaped cream cheese filled pretzel from the Refreshment Corner on Main Street. And I'll second not missing the entertainment--Electrical Parade, Parade of Dreams, Fantasmic! (if you're there after the 15th of June), Aladdin, and also the smaller shows and street performers like the Dapper Dans, Billy Hill and the Hillbillies, Jambalaya Jazz, the Strawhatters, the Bilge Rats and the Bootstrappers, and any other groups that happen to be out as you walk by.

You're going to have such a great time! Say hi to me in FL!

HobbitFeet
04-09-2007, 08:58 AM

Thank you! Very helpful. I've had this package booked for a couple months now, and had yet to get my brain to agree "which way" it went. :)