PDA

View Full Version : Camera rentals at Disneyland?

bluskye
04-06-2007, 02:43 PM
While packing for our trip next week, I discovered our video camera no longer works. Not enough time to have it repaired. :crying: I thought I read somewhere that Disneyland might have a place to rent cameras. Is this true? If so, where would I find the rental spot?

First trip to Disneyland for everyone in the family, was just hoping to capture a little bit on video.

Thanks so much!

hlbtimes2
04-07-2007, 07:53 AM
I've never heard of anything like that. You might do some checking you can pick up an inexpensive basic model for a couple hundred dollars at someplace like Walmart. You might also consider checking local pawnshops. YOu can often pick up things like that for very reasonable prices. Or, see if someone you know will loan you one for the trip.

simnia
04-07-2007, 08:01 AM
Decades ago, on the east side of Main Street, USA, used to be a photo store that I believe used to rent cameras for Disneyland usage. It has been so many years ago that I don't know the current status, but I don't think your references were imagining it. It's worth checking on. You could maybe find out the name of the photo store on Main Street, and call them.

adriennek
04-07-2007, 08:35 AM
They recharge batteries in the photo store but they don't rent cameras.

Adrienne

Malcon10t
04-07-2007, 01:19 PM
Decades ago, on the east side of Main Street, USA, used to be a photo store that I believe used to rent cameras for Disneyland usage. It has been so many years ago that I don't know the current status, The Main Street Photo Supply (formerly the Kodak Photo Shop) has never rented video cameras. Best bet would be checking WalMart or Best Buy for a new one as repairs are generally more than the camera is worth these days. Might also check to be sure its not just a bad battery.

JCLowesman
04-07-2007, 07:55 PM
Walgreens and CVS offer a "disposable" video camera for about $20.00. Reasonable video quality and offers about 30 minutes recording time. It even has a color LCD so you can do basic review and edit in the camera. When full, return it to any Walgreens or CVS (not interchangable, so choose one or the other) and they will transfer the video to a DVD (for a fee, of course).

Quick, cheap, and easy. My local newspaper reviewed it and said it's good for an emergency like yours.

Good luck.

Mermaid
04-08-2007, 07:10 AM
Derail:

JCLowesman I love your sig line! I think I had that in mine a few years ago. Classic movie!!

simnia
04-08-2007, 08:26 AM
Derail:

JCLowesman I love your sig line! I think I had that in mine a few years ago. Classic movie!!

Except that's not the exact quote, just a common misquote.

backsthepack
04-08-2007, 10:03 AM
Speaking of cameras...is there a way to unload your memory card at Disneyland? Or is it in my best interst to just pick up a second memory card?

Malcon10t
04-08-2007, 12:49 PM
Speaking of cameras...is there a way to unload your memory card at Disneyland? Or is it in my best interst to just pick up a second memory card?You might check with WalMart, I believe you can take your card there and offload to a CD. I don't think the Disneyland Main Street Photo Supply does this. (It would be a great feature.) Depending on where you are staying, you might be able to bring CDs and connect to a computer in their business center and of load to a CD.

Personally, we bring laptops for this. Next best, check and see if Staples has anything on sale. I bought 1G cards last Christmas for each kids camera for $29. (big sale.)

simnia
04-08-2007, 01:30 PM
You might check with WalMart, I believe you can take your card there and offload to a CD.

I'd be *very* leery of Wal-Mart. On one vacation I ran out of memory sticks so I went to a Wal-Mart and transferred the contents of my full memory sticks to CD-R. They gave me back one CD that didn't have a single picture of mine on it, just a bunch of icons from somewhere, and on a couple other CDs the pictures were resized. It's a good thing I checked, or those photos and times would have been gone forever. On a recent trip to Anaheim Wal-Mart I waited a full hour for my prints to be made from a CD, and after that hour they told me that all of my order got lost, that I would have to wait nearly another hour to get them. They had no 8x10" print facilities--they were out of supplies, I found out only after I tried the machine that did not say "No 8x10s", then they told me that machine wouldn't produce them either. When I complained that they had a sign on only one machine, the cashier said she'd make a new one right away. An hour later, a new cashier was on duty and the machine still didn't have a sign on it. I then complained to the manager.

Wal-Mart is one of the most backwards stores around. Their employee turnover rate is 73% per year, you constantly hear negative news about how they treat employees and customers, the managers are dishonest (I know from direct dealings with some of them at La Habra Wal-Mart), and the employees generally don't know enough about their products to give advice (they're there only for a part-time job while they go to school). The customers who shop at Wal-Mart are usually people who value money over service, quality, and time. Personally, I don't have time to wait an hour to find out they messed up my prints or CDs: I would've been much better off paying a little more and going to someplace where the job could actually get done, which is in fact what I had to do after that Anaheim Wal-Mart series of incidents.

I ended up going to Foto Shop in front of Ramada Maingate, on Harbor Boulevard right across from Disneyland, and there's another photo store in the mini-mall on the northeast corner of Harbor & Katella. Even Foto Shop had a laptop available for viewing my photos while I was there, and I was impressed with the quality of the prints. I don't know if they can transfer memory sticks while you're there, since they send off to an outside service for prints, but anything has to be better than Wal-Mart.

Malcon10t
04-08-2007, 02:56 PM
I'd be *very* leery of Wal-Mart. On one vacation I ran out of memory sticks so I went to a Wal-Mart and transferred the contents of my full memory sticks to CD-R. They gave me back one CD that didn't have a single picture of mine on it, just a bunch of icons from somewhere, and on a couple other CDs the pictures were resized. It's a good thing I checked, or those photos and times would have been gone forever. On a recent trip to Anaheim Wal-Mart I waited a full hour for my prints to be made from a CD, and after that hour they told me that all of my order got lost, that I would have to wait nearly another hour to get them. They had no 8x10" print facilities--they were out of supplies, I found out only after I tried the machine that did not say "No 8x10s", then they told me that machine wouldn't produce them either. When I complained that they had a sign on only one machine, the cashier said she'd make a new one right away. An hour later, a new cashier was on duty and the machine still didn't have a sign on it. I then complained to the manager.

Wal-Mart is one of the most backwards stores around. Their employee turnover rate is 73% per year, you constantly hear negative news about how they treat employees and customers, the managers are dishonest (I know from direct dealings with some of them at La Habra Wal-Mart), and the employees generally don't know enough about their products to give advice (they're there only for a part-time job while they go to school). The customers who shop at Wal-Mart are usually people who value money over service, quality, and time. Personally, I don't have time to wait an hour to find out they messed up my prints or CDs: I would've been much better off paying a little more and going to someplace where the job could actually get done, which is in fact what I had to do after that Anaheim Wal-Mart series of incidents.Wow, I have had vastly different experiences with WalMarts. I haven't been to the one in Anaheim, as when I go I usually stop at the one in Buena Park. I usually just take my laptop, so this isn't an issue as I can do it myself. But we have used the local WalMart to print pics, it does a very good job. I'm sorry you have such negative experiences.

MickeyDogMom
04-08-2007, 04:41 PM
Wow, I have had vastly different experiences with WalMarts. I haven't been to the one in Anaheim, as when I go I usually stop at the one in Buena Park. I usually just take my laptop, so this isn't an issue as I can do it myself. But we have used the local WalMart to print pics, it does a very good job. I'm sorry you have such negative experiences.

Mom- Maybe you forgot the time that they couldn't find my pics the I'd sent off loaded from my card and when we drove ALL the way home and back to get the reciept because they doubted I had used the machine. And then the next person on duty (even though our first person was still there) didn't care about any receipt and found the pictures. And the first cashier was a complete "bleep" the entire time. They do do a quick, convenient, and quality job but the service sucks.

Be careful with any wal-mart and pictures, they are not a good combo. I personally am so protective of my photos I would just buy a larger stick or another one. My current one held all 438 of my Xmas/NY DL photo's with room left over and they were set for the 8x11 settings.

Bytebear
04-08-2007, 05:10 PM
You might want to check out Samy's Camera in Santa Ana. They rent all kinds of cameras and equipment. If you ever want to try a high end digital SLR, this is your place. They also rent video equipment. You will have to put down a good size security deposit, but they are the most experienced and least expensive place in the area. check them out at http://www.samys.com/. If you have your own camera, you can also rent lenses there.

ESS Heckler
04-09-2007, 07:47 AM
Speaking of cameras...is there a way to unload your memory card at Disneyland? Or is it in my best interst to just pick up a second memory card?

Yes, the Photo shop will download your pictures to a CD and give you case. The cost for this was around $10.00. Far less expensive than buying a new memory stick.

Malcon10t
04-09-2007, 12:17 PM

Yes, the Photo shop will download your pictures to a CD and give you case. The cost for this was around $10.00. Far less expensive than buying a new memory stick.This was great news. I know I had asked maybe a year ago and they couldn't do it. So after I saw the post, I called and the operator called the photo shop to find out (she didn't think they did.) She and I were both pleasantly surprised!

backsthepack
04-10-2007, 05:50 AM
Great news! Thanks for the info!

hbquikcomjamesl
04-10-2007, 02:50 PM
Except that's not the exact quote, just a common misquote.That depends on the movie: it might be merely a common misquote of the original (whose title escapes me), but it IS an exact quote of Blazing Saddles :p

Malcon10t
04-10-2007, 05:40 PM
That depends on the movie: it might be merely a common misquote of the original (whose title escapes me), but it IS an exact quote of Blazing Saddles :pTreasure of the Sierra Madre. But, it is also an exact quote from O.C. and Stiggs and fits me better... "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges! We got souvenirs!"

JCLowesman
04-10-2007, 08:01 PM
Never was much of a Bogart fan (except for African Queen), but I do love the works of Mel Brooks.:rolleyes:

BTW, did the OP finally make a decision about the video camera problem?

Bytebear
04-11-2007, 03:45 PM
I like the line in UHF where the animal wrangler says "Badgers, we don't need no stinkin' badgers."

simnia
04-11-2007, 04:50 PM
The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0040897/quotes

Gold Hat: "Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges."