PDA

View Full Version : Help me decide between Embassy Suites South & Homewood Suites

KrisKC
04-05-2007, 05:10 PM
We are going for a week in June (me, husband & 9 year old son). The price difference is only $30 for the week so this is not a factor. I know they both are owned by Hilton, have a great breakfast, and are all suites. So is one better than the other? Nicer, cleaner? What about the pools? Are the room sizes about the same?
Any insight would be appreciated :D

alexandrasmom
04-05-2007, 06:01 PM
I have only stayed at the Embassy Suites South, but I can tell you it was very nice. The room was spacious, new and clean. The suite feature is nice, especially when staying with kids. You could shut the door to the bedroom after they were asleep and watch tv on the couch in the other room. The pool was ok- not fancy or anything, outdoors, and warm. There was also a jacuzzi next to the pool. I like the feel of the hotel with the big atrium in the middle with lots of plants and trees. I did not eat the free breakfast at this particular Embassy hotel, but have at two others and thought the food was very good.

Disneyfalcon
04-05-2007, 06:29 PM
Homewood Suites has free dinner Monday through Thursday nights. It's called heavy appetizers, but it's a full meal. We stay at Homewood Suites whenever we travel and like them all. Anaheim was no exception.:)

Mermaid
04-05-2007, 07:26 PM
I have stayed at both and they were both very nice. I might give a slight nod to the ES for the hot breakfast, but if you think you will be there for the "light dinner" at the HW, I would go with them. I don't think you can go wrong with either. I remember the rooms being a little bigger at the ES, but I could be wrong. I didn't go to either pool so not much help there!

Malcon10t
04-05-2007, 08:34 PM
I have stayed at both and they were both very nice. I might give a slight nod to the ES for the hot breakfast, but if you think you will be there for the "light dinner" at the HW, I would go with them. I don't think you can go wrong with either. I remember the rooms being a little bigger at the ES, but I could be wrong. I didn't go to either pool so not much help there!
When we have stayed at Homewood Suites, they have had hot breakfasts. I haven't stayed at the Anaheim one though, so they may be different. My vote is for Residence Inn!;)

Foodie
04-05-2007, 08:55 PM
I've never been to either, but from the descriptions they sound great. I'd go for whichever one was closer to the park! That's always my number one priority and deciding-factor!

-Foodie:)

ibob52
04-05-2007, 10:36 PM
I stayed at a different Homewood Suites but assume they are "All" the same layout. That said it has a full size Refrig / seperate kitchen and utincils,plates etc. The breakfast is less nice than the Embassy though, but still G O O D.

JustMe29
04-06-2007, 03:33 AM
We stayed at Homewood Suites a couple of weeks ago for 7 days.

Despite it having a kitchen we didn't cook a thing!! The room was spacious and had the benefit of child being asleep and us able to watch TV without waking her.

Shuttle ran every 20 minutes for $3 per day - very simple and easy.

I didn't like the breakfasts, but they were free. I very much doubt that the scrambled egg was real egg!! The dinners were average but free.

I'd stay there again, nothing against it, but I would probably try to get somewhere closer to the park next time considering the amount of time we actually spent in the room.

We didn't even go down to the pool either.

Mermaid
04-08-2007, 07:05 AM
When we have stayed at Homewood Suites, they have had hot breakfasts. I haven't stayed at the Anaheim one though, so they may be different. My vote is for Residence Inn!;)

Oh yeah. Now that you mention it- I think it was hot! But, ES you can cook to order whereas HS was eggs and sausage over the warmers! Both rocked over the Travelodge's doughnut!

Malcon10t
04-08-2007, 06:27 PM
Oh yeah. Now that you mention it- I think it was hot! But, ES you can cook to order whereas HS was eggs and sausage over the warmers! Both rocked over the Travelodge's doughnut!Its the same with Residence Inn, except they have a larger variety of food. But, it works better for us than the breakfasts offered at the strip motels. I like the strip motels, don't get me wrong, but the breakfasts are all carbs and no protein.

Do the ES have kitchens?

cookie7762
04-08-2007, 09:21 PM
I acutally stayed at both for a week each time last summer. They were both great! The ebassy sweets seemed slightly nicer than homewood. Both hot breakfast were good. Embassy has more to choose from for breakfast. Like mentioned before, homewood does have the full kitchen and embassy only has a mini fridge. I also like homewoods room design better. It sort of in an L shape, where as embassy's rooms are one straight line. I don't know why I liked the L better, I just did. Homewood does have the free dinner and free beer and wine, where as embassy has free cocktails too, not just beer and wine... no dinner but they sell pizza during cocktail time. Both ahve convenient shuttle locations right in front. Oh, and embassy has the Bucca Di Beppo restaurant in the parking lot which was convenient to bring back a meal to go, but homewood has a starbucks in theirs. Both were clean and great so you really can't lose either way!

MouseWife
04-08-2007, 10:02 PM
Everyone has made great points.

The 'L' shape you speak of, it makes it seem more like a little apartment, to me. The kitchen area, with the table, was quite convenient and comfortable to hang out in while others were in the 'living room' area. Also, while yet someone else was in the bedroom.

There are two big closets which we used. Also, silly, but my son found it to be a nice little hideaway with his sleeping bag and a handheld video game.

A plus we found here {now most hotels don't allow this to work} is that our little portable dvd player can be hooked up to their t.v.s. {with the right cables}. So, we can enjoy a movie. Of course, this is in the off season or on a trip where we aren't planning on being in the park too late.

True, the breakfasts aren't as hearty as the ones at the ES but then again they weren't as heavy either. Felt better after eating it. The dinner was pretty good, quite tasty and filling. And free? That is a big bonus.

The Starbucks is another. :0)

The restaurant in their parking lot is Joe's Crabshack, can anyone confirm that? And, Bucas' isn't too far down the strip.

For other conveniences, directly across the street is a Target.

I would assume the shuttle is as convenient at the ES as they are maybe on the same line?

The workout room is convenient on the second floor. Not too big but it had an eliptical and a treadmill {something else but I can't recall} and they worked for me.

Have a great trip!

{also, I hope you who have stayed at these places a lot are members of Hilton Honors...even if it is job related you can earn points. We enjoyed two free nights on our recent trip up Hwy 1...}

cookie7762
04-09-2007, 08:21 AM
I forgot to add th eonly thing I DIDN"T like about homewood... the elevator. Very very slow! and there was only one main one. I believe someone said there was a service elevator on the other side of the hotel that you could use as well, but we had to take the stair almost every time out of fear that the 15 minutes it took to wait for then ride the elevator would prevent us from catching the shuttle. ok, thats it.

KrisKC
04-09-2007, 09:49 AM
Thank you all for the comments :)
I think we are going to stay with the Embassy Suites! The dinners at Homewood would be nice but we already have a list of places to eat at while we are there that I'm not sure we would even use them.
Anyone have any comments about the pools?