PDA

View Full Version : Private Company Party Nights at Disneyland? Remember?

Pages : [1] 2

snappy
04-04-2007, 10:31 AM
Does anyone remember those Private Company Parties at Disneyland? My grandfather worked for the Southern California Gas Company(30+ years) and we use to go every year. The event would always be on a Friday and begin around 8:00pm and finish up around 1:00am.The crowds were usually light compared to normal Disneyland hours. I don't think the Gas Company does this anymore.Last I heard they do the Mix-ins type which isn't the same. Anyone else every do the Company Private party thing? Which company?

Andrew
04-04-2007, 10:56 AM
I have fond memories of mix-in parties, having found out about several through the grapevine and had a great time with minimal crowds. The last time I actually went to one was for Southern California Edison employees and was probably in 1998 or '99.

Eighty8Keys
04-04-2007, 11:39 AM
I worked for American Honda in the 80's. For their 25th anniversary celebration in 1984 they held a private party at Disneyland for all headquarters employees and their families as well as the motorcycle and auto dealers & families that were there for their annual convention. I think it went from 7:00 PM to midnight. There were absolutely no lines or crowds anywhere, everything was a walk-on. I remember riding the Matterhorn over and over. We were given food coupons to use for a meal. We fondly remember that night as one of our best visits ever.

adriennek
04-04-2007, 11:51 AM
Well my eldest son's first trip to DLR occured because we got a call "There's a mix-in tonight at Disneyland!" - That was fall of 1998.

But.

Growing up a hub of the aerospace industry, the majority of my trips to Disneyland growing up were TRW nights. I was a teenager, I have no idea how old, the first time I really remember going to DLR during the day!

There was no eating involved but we went on lots of rides - without using ticket books. That was the big deal about the private parties - no ticket books! (Of course that means we also have no ticket book memories and no ticket book souvenirs!) I remember seeing the booths that sold ticket books, but they were all closed up.

Adrienne

Tinkermommy
04-04-2007, 12:17 PM
My dad spent his whole career working for Southern California Gas, and yup, those were big nights for us, too! Small world!

Bytebear
04-04-2007, 12:31 PM
Ah, I miss the old Gay Days, when they were private parties too.

olegc
04-04-2007, 12:56 PM
My dad worked for Hughes Aircraft - and our private parties were always in September. So some of the attractions were closed - but every year a differnt one was on rehab. My last one was in 88 I believe (My youngest brother's 18th bday). Hughes and relatives were ways that allowed me to visit at least once per year since I was 5. By 88, though, it seemed that they were starting the trend of closing food areas early - because the west side had nothing except for French Market and Village Haus was closed.

And back then the only thing on Carts was popcorn!

yohomama212
04-04-2007, 01:32 PM
My dad worked for Unisys from '87 to 2000 and I remember one company night that we attended. There were banners everywhere saying "Disneyland Welcomes Unisys Employees and Their Families". I had no idea we were going to a company night until we were in the park and I saw the banners. I don't remember much of the night, I would have been 6 or 7 maybe, but I do remember that it was at night and we ate somewhere with hamburgers.

Liz :cool:

Walt'sbirthdaygirl
04-04-2007, 05:17 PM
Sears used to do family nights, I'm sure there were other companies there but most of the rides were walk on's. Vons still does a family night at DL in January, its the best, no lines and they do a special showing of Fantasmic, where you can actually enjoy the show without waiting for hours or being jostled.

Another Dimension
04-04-2007, 06:39 PM
I miss Mix-ins quite a bit.

A couple Mix-in nights we rode everything in the park that was open... in just a few hours. :D

Maus
04-04-2007, 07:10 PM
Yes, I remember them fondly too. We worked for Security Pacific Bank (before the BofA merger) and it was in September every year. It was a bank holiday too, but I can't remember the name of it. It's the day California became a state and it's not a holiday anymore.

My daughter was three months old the first time she went to the park for this private party. Sweet memories.

WITron
04-04-2007, 08:25 PM
I remember every January the Church of the Nazerene would do a private party night and I would go every year. It was along time before I ever went to DL during the day.

Chadsgal
04-04-2007, 08:37 PM
Durring one of our trips sometime in the 80's. My parents said that a CM on the monorail told them there was a semi-private party that night & even though the park says it is closing at 8 we will be open late & because it is only a semi-private party outsiders can stay. Well we hung around & my parents tell me it was great & like having disneyland to yourself. We now ask around every time we go to see if we can hear if they are any semi-private parties going on.

houseofmouse
04-05-2007, 07:29 AM
My husband worked for Unisys back when we lived in So.Cal. It was 1997 I think when we went and it was an evening, employees and families night only. I remember riding Indy that night!! We had a blast! :) Too bad they don't do that anymore.

snappy
04-05-2007, 08:22 AM
Just curious if there's any company you might know who offers private parties to their employees? Seems like it's a thing of the past.

evrythngwmn
04-05-2007, 08:26 AM
Yes, I remember them fondly too. We worked for Security Pacific Bank (before the BofA merger) and it was in September every year. It was a bank holiday too, but I can't remember the name of it. It's the day California became a state and it's not a holiday anymore.

My daughter was three months old the first time she went to the park for this private party. Sweet memories.

It's State Admittance day and is still a recognized holiday for State employees (at least in the CSU).

Anyhow, private parties are still a regular occurance at the DLR. My credit union does like two a year (one night at each park). They sell tickets to credit union members.

snappy
04-05-2007, 08:39 AM
How about Mouseplanet hosting a Private Party at Disneyland? That would be really cool. How much would you be willing to shell out for a Private Party like the good old days. It would probably cost a pretty penny, but we can all dream? Right?

mad4mky
04-05-2007, 08:39 AM
I remember being invited by a friend wayyyyy back in high school (our Sr. year...back in 1976-1977) to go to Disneyland for one of these private evening parties.

Fluor Corporpation was the company that had the 1st party I had gone to.

Years later, my ex-husband and I were invited to attend another one of these with family friends. Lindsay was about 6 months old...so that would have been 1984.
Kodak Corp.

Loved these parties. Just walking onto any ride was great. No line for Peter Pan!!! :eek:

Andrew
04-05-2007, 08:56 AM
How about Mouseplanet hosting a Private Party at Disneyland? That would be really cool. How much would you be willing to shell out for a Private Party like the good old days. It would probably cost a pretty penny, but we can all dream? Right?
The last time I looked at this--about ten years ago--the cost was prohibitive for anyone not a major corporation. We're not that big yet. :D

Walt'sbirthdaygirl
04-05-2007, 09:27 AM
Just curious if there's any company you might know who offers private parties to their employees? Seems like it's a thing of the past.

Vons (Safeway) still does.

PhiSigDuchessCV
04-05-2007, 09:28 AM
My friends father use to work for McDonnell Douglas and I went with them every year. That was such a treat. As everyone said no lines and we could do pretty much what we wanted.

Wish I worked for a private company that would do a private party. However working for the Cal State University system has other nice benefits that make up for no private parties

hlbtimes2
04-05-2007, 06:16 PM
My husbands company hosted a private party in DCA last year. They had dinner at the Vineyard room, then had dessert outside near Soarin'. It was a pretty limited party, Soarin was the only ride open for them. LOL But, he said it was still really fun.

Maus
04-05-2007, 06:26 PM
It's State Admittance day and is still a recognized holiday for State employees (at least in the CSU)

Yes, Admittance Day. I'm glad to see that State employees still recognize it but it's no longer a bank holiday.

lilfaeriebrat
04-06-2007, 07:09 PM
I remember going to some private party at Disney. It was when I was real little so I don't even know for sure if it was for my Grandpa's work or my moms and if they were working for Honeywell or if it was something else. But what I remember of it I thought it was great. Disneyland was open just for me was what I felt like because the lines were so short and almost everyone there knew my family.

Koukla
04-06-2007, 08:52 PM
The last time I looked at this--about ten years ago--the cost was prohibitive for anyone not a major corporation. We're not that big yet. :D

My former LA-based law firm looked into this about three years ago and, yes, it was pretty cost prohibitive. We ended up at that other amusement park down the street, instead, and it was eh.:(