PDA

View Full Version : Got to eat at 33!

nsaul1211
04-03-2007, 11:48 AM
I finally got to get into Club 33! This is the one place my gf and I have not been able to get into and luckily through someone she knows we were able to get in and have dinner on Saturday! I will have to say I have eaten and numerous fine dining places but the service was above and beyond those which I had in the past. It was kind of neat to get up and go to the restroom and have my napkin folded nicely for me when I returned. I will have to say the price was high (which I expected), and each person required a minimum of 63 dollars (not including alcohol). I do have to say that the food was phenominal. I started with some sesame crusted ahi and crab leg (also had some ahi with avocado), followed by a king salmon with Merlot (I know I'm breaking wine rules). Desert was a very rich chocoloate raspberry cake concoction, it was really good but it was so rich that it was a bit much near the end.

I have to say, if you like food and ever have the opportunity to eat here take it! It is well worth the price, plus you get into the park for free with your reservation if you aren't a passholder.

avalosn
04-03-2007, 12:02 PM
Congrats! I am glad to hear you were able to get in for some great food and great service!

vegasmommytoDL
04-03-2007, 01:04 PM
Congratulations! I am happy for you.

TinaMouse
04-03-2007, 01:19 PM
I'm so jealous! Good for you!!

SoCalSteven
04-03-2007, 02:42 PM
How much were the drinks? Are they marked up even higher than other DLR resteraunts? I had a fabulous glass of Lagavulin 16 Y/O at Granville's a while back, and it set me back $11, and a glass of scotch isn't very big.

wabby1
04-03-2007, 03:12 PM
I ate at Club 33 2 years ago. It was a very surreal experience....one that I will always treasure. Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

cillydznygirl
04-03-2007, 04:21 PM
What's the decor like in there?

Opus1guy
04-03-2007, 04:29 PM
How much were the drinks? Are they marked up even higher than other DLR restaurants?

There was a fairly recent post where someone stated they were surprised at how reasonable the cocktails were priced at Club 33 vs. other spots on property. I hadn't really ever given that much thought in the past, but the last couple of visits I paid more attention to the bill...and IMHO I agree with that. Very reasonable. And generous pours. ;) Also had a fantastic 2000 Guenoc Port (Langtry Estates) after dinner a few weeks ago, and it was only 6 bucks.

Now on the rest of the wine list...very reasonable prices for a fine dinning restaurant of that caliber, IMHO and experience. They're still charging more than store retail mind you. But very reasonable mark-up for a restaurant. You'd pay double what the Club charges for most on their wine list, at say Morton's.

What's the decor like in there?

Very elegant in a style known as "First Empire." Lots of antiques, objets d'art, reproduction pieces, etc. There are lots of photos around on the web.

Some say the Main Dining Room reminds them a bit of parts of the Haunted Mansion. Minus the cobwebs, of course. ;)

cillydznygirl
04-03-2007, 04:39 PM
WOW!! Too cool.............

SoCalSteven
04-03-2007, 09:51 PM
There was a fairly recent post where someone stated they were surprised at how reasonable the cocktails were priced at Club 33 vs. other spots on property. I hadn't really ever given that much thought in the past, but the last couple of visits I paid more attention to the bill...and IMHO I agree with that. Very reasonable. And generous pours. ;) Also had a fantastic 2000 Guenoc Port (Langtry Estates) after dinner a few weeks ago, and it was only 6 bucks.

Now on the rest of the wine list...very reasonable prices for a fine dinning restaurant of that caliber, IMHO and experience. They're still charging more than store retail mind you. But very reasonable mark-up for a restaurant. You'd pay double what the Club charges for most on their wine list, at say Morton's.

Resonable prices and generous pours? I can deal with that. :D

Now to get an invitation...

Bumbershoot
04-03-2007, 09:55 PM
Club 33 is so great. We've been there several times and I think it's the best meal I've ever had on a Disney trip to any of the parks!

ESS Heckler
04-04-2007, 09:43 AM
show off!!
;)

MiaTurner
04-04-2007, 11:38 AM
I would if I could!!! :crying: *SOOOOOBS*

;)

adriennek
04-04-2007, 12:09 PM
Ok, I'm reluctant to post this because I don't want to sound like I'm raining on anyone's parade, BUT...

For those of you who are expressing disappointment at not having visited Club 33, if you're looking for excellent food with really great service, Club 33 just isn't the only game in town. (And actually, I don't think the food is all that amazing. It's ok. The restaurants I'm about to name all have food that I consider better than the dishes I've had at Club 33. I've dined there twice for dinner and once for brunch.)

Napa Rose - On property, not exclusive, same price point (actually, you can get out of NR for less than $63 a person, depending on how many courses you order - and there's no minimum.) We have always had outstanding service and amazing food there. They do have some "exculsive" opportunities - for a special experience you can reserve the chef's table and eat "with" the chefs! We've also dined in the lounge before. It's less formal but the service is realllly good. On some levels, I even prefer it to the dining room - even for romantic dinners for two!

The Cellar in Fullerton - Designed by the same group of people who designed the Pirates of the Caribbean and managed by the original manager of Club 33 handpicked by Walt, himself. They have amazing service, amazing food, and I actually heard a couple order white zinfindel and watched as the sommelier didn't bat an eye or giggle. We usually spend as much there as we do at Napa Rose but we usually buy red wine so that's what pushes up our bill.

Black Sheep Bistro in Tustin on El Camino Real. The Chef's wife is the maitre d'. The chef comes out to the dining room between courses to visit with his guests. They specialize in lamb (hence the name) but the menu is diverse and they also have a paella of which they are very proud. It's a tad less formal than the Club or the Cellar but the food is realllly good and the staff is great. We've been dining there for a few years and we have had the same waiter three visits in a row - even when those visits have each been a year apart!

You can bring your own wine to Black Sheep Bistro, too, but the rule is that if you do, you have to share a glass with the chef! ;)

It's not exclusive - it's not the "thrill" of the exclusive dining room - but if you want to have an amazing dinner with excellent service in the Anaheim area, there's no need to cry in your New Orleans Square Clam Chowder - there are some fantastic options available!

Adrienne

SoCalSteven
04-04-2007, 12:41 PM
Adrienne: Do you suggest ordering items individually, or going with the pre-fixe menu? Which is the better deal? I've wanted to try the Napa Rose many times, but the price increases of the past year or two have kept me away so far. As I recall, the pre-fixe menu was $45, plus $25 for the wine a couple years ago, and now it is something like $75 and $45 for the same thing? Crazy!

Have to try the Cellar sometime though. Is it pretty much a necessity to have reservations, or do they accept walk-ins?

adriennek
04-04-2007, 01:19 PM
Adrienne: Do you suggest ordering items individually, or going with the pre-fixe menu? Which is the better deal? I've wanted to try the Napa Rose many times, but the price increases of the past year or two have kept me away so far. As I recall, the pre-fixe menu was $45, plus $25 for the wine a couple years ago, and now it is something like $75 and $45 for the same thing? Crazy!

Well, we never get the fixed menu because there's always fish on it and we don't like fish, so I'm probably a bad person to ask!

If you're really on a budget I suggest two strategies: Don't order from every section of the menu and limit yourself to one glass of wine by the glass. We can easily spend $45 - $70 on a bottle of wine at NR (although, like I said, we drink red which tends to be more expensive than white. More recently we've been at the $70 range. Twice we've ordered the Moon Mountain Cab which I found at Cost Plus, too. If you like red wine, I highly recommend getting to Cost Plus and picking up a bottle.)

The time we ate in the lounge, Doc and I only ordered one appetizer and shared it. The serving size isn't really conducive to sharing but we were trying to stay lighter on our budget and closer to my diet!

Have to try the Cellar sometime though. Is it pretty much a necessity to have reservations, or do they accept walk-ins?

I don't know the official answer but we've always had a reservation. The Cellar does not have a very large dining room so I'd definitely recommend reservations.

Adrienne

SoCalSteven
04-04-2007, 03:34 PM
Both my g/f and I love fish, so we might do the pre-fixe. She isn't much for wine though, so not only does that keep things cheaper, but that pretty much means there is no way were are ordering a whole bottle of wine. Last time we went to Granville's I brought a bottle of Jordan '01 Cab (FYI it is a $10 corkage, not bad really) and she only had one, maybe one and a half glasses! That coupled with the glass of Lagavulin 16 Y/O scotch with desert and I was feeling pretty good! :D Thankfully it wasn't very late, I was the one driving home!

I could see how between wine and scotch I could run the tab up pretty bad...

I'll have to pick up a bottle of that Moon Mountain Cab. I'd love it if I could find a good quality Cab at a price I can afford all the time. I loved that Jordan, but I can't find the '01 anymore and the '02 is $50 a bottle! :(