PDA

View Full Version : Difference Between The Original (in Anaheim) and Paris?

The Evil Queen
04-02-2007, 02:40 PM
Never been to Disneyland, Paris. Been to The Original many, many times. Love it!

My DH is trying to get my sone and I to Europe in the late Summer/early Fall and is trying to bribe me with Disneyland, Paris.

So what do you all think? Good as the original? Should I take the bribe or bargin for The Original? BTW, I JUST got back and already ready for more!

Your comments, ideas, opinions, please...Thanks!

Mickeygirlforever
04-02-2007, 02:53 PM
I went there 2 summers ago. I loved it!! You can't even compare it to the original though. It had a totally different feeling to it....very magical I thought. It felt very European. It was fun because everything was so familiar, yet so different. I would definetely check it out. It was very cool to see the same rides, yet different. Some are in complete french though....like Pinnochio (it was exactly the same ride...same turns and scenes, yet in french...felt weird). The castle is beautiful and it was very nice there. You sound like a big Disney fan, I'd totally check it out. We didn't go to MGM, just spent 1 day in DLP. I'm going back this summer and trying to convince my group to go. Anyway, my opinion, check it out...it was fun!~

Duane
04-02-2007, 05:15 PM
I was on a school trip to Europe a couple of years ago and we stopped off at Disneyland Paris. Although it was nice, I would not make a trip just for the purpose of visiting Disneyland Paris. It has very little to do and will take less than a day to see it all. For example: There is no Monorail, Buzz Lightyear, Winnie the Pooh, Snow White, Mr. Toad, Tiki Room, Soarin', Jungle Cruise, Splash Mountain, Nemo, etc. We arrived in the park at 10:00am and had completely done the whole park by 2:30pm. Their version of the Indiana Jones Adventure is a cheap outdoor carnival type rollercoaster. They have a restaurant in Pirates of the Caribbean similar to Blue Bayou but the food is not very good. Actually, we were very disappointed with the food throughout the entire resort. If you're looking for something a little different than Disneyland, I suggest Walt Disney World. You could visit Orlando for 2 weeks and still not see everything.

The Evil Queen
04-02-2007, 07:33 PM
Thanks, you guys! Any one else? I need all the help I can get!!!

Bytebear
04-02-2007, 08:40 PM
I have not been, but I have done some research in an attempt to get to Europe this year. The park is considered more beautiful in Paris, and the Haunted Mansion is supposed to be amazing, with a real theme based on the wild west. Space Mountain is supposed to be amazing as well. I would go just to see Paris and the Eiffel Tower and the Louvre. Oh, and Paris does Have Buzz Lightyear.

The Evil Queen
04-02-2007, 08:52 PM
Thanks, Bytebear! That really helps. I've read all sorts of books on The Original (Disney Detective, Mouse Tales (and More Mouse Tales). Been to the local Barnes and Nobel, but can't find anything on DLPR.

All of the Padders are always a great help!:D

Clotho
04-02-2007, 10:48 PM
I would not pass up the chance to see any other DL park. And keep in mind that it is NOT just Disney you would get to take home as a memory. Europe is an excellent vacation to take, and Disney would be a huge incentive as well.

GO GO GO! report back!

oregontraveler
04-03-2007, 07:53 AM
Made a one-day trip in May '97. LOVED IT. It is very European, especially
Tommorowland. The Mark Twain sails around BTMRR and the Haunted Mansion stands out on it's own perch. They have upgraded Space mtn. since. I loved the Main Street galleries. Pirates has some great theming but
Indiana Jones & Temple of Peril was a let-down. The 2nd park is taking shape
with some new attractions, it still ssems to be a half-day park for most.
Downtown Disney is called the Disney Village, didn't have time to check it out.
If you can afford to stay on-site, go for it. Otherwise, the park has great
train service to Paris.

ralfrick
04-03-2007, 08:07 AM
We will be visiting DLP during our trip to Paris this summer, as opposed to some that seem to visit Paris for the afternoon during their DL trip, which is deranged (this is Paris, people, not Orlando). You might can find the Brit's Guide to DLP though Amazon; it's pretty good. For great photos seek out DLP From Sketchbook to Reality, although it's pricey. Still looking for a good forum that isn't either British housewives or French teenagers. (Before I corrected my error, that said British housewives of French teenagers-I smell a new reality show.)

Based on what I'm finding. Space is quite different, including inversions. After always seeing near unanimous preference for POTC at DL over WDW I was surprised that many are saying Paris is better still. Phantom Manor is said to be darker than The HM, and has a western ghost town (I think where the graveyard is here). BTMRR is on the island in the Rivers of America, with a pirate island in Adventureland as opposed to TSI. Most speak of it's beauty and spaciousnees, and there seems to be a lot more walk around environments (Maze, Castle dragon). And there is a Snow White ride as well (Blance Niege et les sept Nains).

I cant wait.

A bientot.

Vegitabeta
04-03-2007, 08:18 AM
Loads of different things at DLP, most obvious one being the castle, I think it's the best but that's just me! Space Mountain is a lot more...exciting...and they have a dragon under the castle of course! Very cool.

MickeyFan4Ever
04-03-2007, 01:14 PM
My husband and I went for our honeymoon. We definitely enjoyed ourselves, but you need to be prepared for it to be different. The one thing that I always enjoy about the original is the people, guests and cast-members. In DLP, the people are not particularly friendly and the guests can be pretty awful. Several times during the day, we had people smoking in the lines in front us (against the rules, but the rule was never enforced), people also budged in line whereever possible and spoke loudly and rudely while on the rides or watching shows. That being said, there were a whole bunch of things that we enjoyed --the castle (huge), BTMRR (on an island -very cool), Space Mountain (way more awesome that Anaheim), Indiana Jones (a small roller coaster that goes backwards -frightening, but fun), and the petting zoo.

The food, as someone else mentioned, leaves something to be desired, but that certainly doesn't ruin your day.

When we went, we bought hopper tickets to also go to the Walt Disney Studios park next door. There isn't much to do there, but the Aerosmith ride is fun.

If you are going to visit, I recommend that you plan to stay near the park for the night. It takes over an hour to get from Paris to the park. There are a bunch of hotels close by that are more convenient than trying to get back to the city around 10pm with all the crowds.

I hope that helps.

The Evil Queen
04-03-2007, 02:28 PM
Thanks, MickeyFan4Ever. That really does help...As does Vegitabeta's pix from her recent trip (and her trip report, too!)

Looks like my mind is made up! I'll start researching on site hotels, etc. Any favs?

Opus1guy
04-03-2007, 04:46 PM
Earlier today I posted this on another board:

To me...Paris is the finest example of all the Magic Kingdom parks from a strictly physical point-of-view. It's just magnificent in it's design and attention to detail. In that area...they really outdid Walt, IMHO.

But Disneyland in Anaheim still has a certain charm that I think is somewhat attributable to the time it was initially built in, and the man who built it.

There is a certain life force to the Disneyland Anaheim Park that still has many elements of the great "Pleasure Garden Parks" of Europe...like Tivoli Gardens, which Walt based much of Disneyland on...remaining in it. These simple unique pleasures are what give Disneyland that special something...that separate it from the other Magic Kingdoms and other amusement and theme parks around the world.

Along those same lines...Disneyland has a certain scale about it that contributes to the fantasy and other-worldliness of the place. To me...walking in Disneyland is not just like being on some movie sets...it's like walking inside a toy!

The other Magic Kingdoms are fine examples of more modern Theme Parks. But Disneyland has elements that lift it into some other realm. And Guests can instantly feel it, no matter how much they've been wowed by their own Disney Parks perhaps closer to home.

And to the really emotional and hardcore Disney fan...there's always the simpler, "This was Walt's park. He built it. He walked through it. His mojo radiates from it! I can feel his Mana all over the place!"

But I can't help but think that if Walt walked through Disneyland Paris today...he'd be saying, "This is what I wish I had the money for in Anaheim." It's that good. The Imagineers that worked on it certainly did Walt proud, IMHO. You must see it if you get the opportunity. You could very well end up with a new favorite.

Mickeygirlforever
04-03-2007, 06:08 PM
I'm jealous!! I totally want to see it again!! It is very beautiful....the castle is amazing. (I hold a soft spot in my heart for DL just because of the memories, but DLP's is amazing) I love the dragon underneath. Also, Phantom Manor (HM) creeped me out. It was in french, so I didn't know the storyline (I don't know that much french sadly) and the whole graveyard....demon dog freaked me out. I had nightmares but that's cause I wouldn't stop thinking about it. I also loved Blanche Neige because at the end you see her on the horse with the prince....ahhh. Anyway, there seems to be water everywhere (fountains and stuff) and I absolutely loved it, if you can't tell :). Space Mountain rocked....I still bring it up while in line for DL Space to see if anyone will talk to me about it..te he. Keep in mind that there's supposed to be 2 new rides opening this summer as well. (Someone's going to kill me, but I almost liked DLP better than WDW's Magic Kingdom....sorry). We didn't stay on property but the hotel right there at the entrance was beautiful.

leota's necklace
04-03-2007, 09:04 PM
If you can plan your trip to take advantage of the Park's Halloween celebration, do it. To see Halloween celebrated by the French was incredibly entertaining and they do up huge sections of the Park.

The Evil Queen
04-04-2007, 08:28 AM
If you can plan your trip to take advantage of the Park's Halloween celebration, do it. To see Halloween celebrated by the French was incredibly entertaining and they do up huge sections of the Park.

What a GREAT idea! I've celebrated Halloween lots of times in the Original, but that's definately something I'll consider!:fez:

MickeyFan4Ever
04-04-2007, 11:07 AM
Thanks, MickeyFan4Ever. That really does help...As does Vegitabeta's pix from her recent trip (and her trip report, too!)

Looks like my mind is made up! I'll start researching on site hotels, etc. Any favs?

Hi again -- We stayed at the Holiday Inn right next door to the park. None of the hotels are super close to the entrance (because the park is really in the middle of no where), so we made use of the free shuttle. The Holiday Inn was great. The rooms were huge, beds and towels were super comfy. We got a great deal on hotels.com (we paid about $120 euros).

One one more note, I went home and looked through my photos and remembered the "tom sawyer island" type exhibit, with rope bridges. There is a part where you are elevated in the trees where if you look through the branches and leaves, you have this incredible framed shot of the castle.

Also, I know that DLP is celebrating their 15th anniversary because I got an email from them earlier this week, so it should be a fun time to visit.

Have fun!

The Evil Queen
04-04-2007, 11:19 AM
Hi again -- We stayed at the Holiday Inn right next door to the park. None of the hotels are super close to the entrance (because the park is really in the middle of no where), so we made use of the free shuttle. The Holiday Inn was great. The rooms were huge, beds and towels were super comfy. We got a great deal on hotels.com (we paid about $120 euros).

One one more note, I went home and looked through my photos and remembered the "tom sawyer island" type exhibit, with rope bridges. There is a part where you are elevated in the trees where if you look through the branches and leaves, you have this incredible framed shot of the castle.

Also, I know that DLP is celebrating their 15th anniversary because I got an email from them earlier this week, so it should be a fun time to visit.

Have fun!

I've already called my Travel Agent to start researching...Probably will be going in Late Summer/Early Fall and looking to stay on-site. BUT, will also do the cost comparison of on-site vs. off-site. If all goes well, the DLPR will conclude a trip to Europe that we've been planning to take for a while now. What better way to end a trip than with Disneyland no matter where is the world you may be!

KDR
04-05-2007, 08:51 AM
Earlier today I posted this on another board:

To me...Paris is the finest example of all the Magic Kingdom parks from a strictly physical point-of-view. It's just magnificent in it's design and attention to detail. In that area...they really outdid Walt, IMHO.

But Disneyland in Anaheim still has a certain charm that I think is somewhat attributable to the time it was initially built in, and the man who built it.

. . . snippage . . .

And to the really emotional and hardcore Disney fan...there's always the simpler, "This was Walt's park. He built it. He walked through it. His mojo radiates from it! I can feel his Mana all over the place!"

But I can't help but think that if Walt walked through Disneyland Paris today...he'd be saying, "This is what I wish I had the money for in Anaheim." It's that good. The Imagineers that worked on it certainly did Walt proud, IMHO. You must see it if you get the opportunity. You could very well end up with a new favorite.

Yes, yes, yes! My sentiments exactly! Both my wife and I feel it is a very close second to the original. It's been over three years since our last visit, but before then we had made several visits, spending up to five days there. An absolutely gorgeous park.