PDA

View Full Version : To get an AP rate for Hotels does the credit card have to be in my name?

CariBelle
04-02-2007, 11:20 AM
My brother would be the one paying for the hotel rooms on our upcoming trip but he doesn't have an AP, would the credit card reserving/paying for the room have to be linked to the AP used to make the reservation? (sorry if that doesn't make sense, I'm having trouble wording it correctly lol)

Malcon10t
04-02-2007, 11:31 AM
My brother would be the one paying for the hotel rooms on our upcoming trip but he doesn't have an AP, would the credit card reserving/paying for the room have to be linked to the AP used to make the reservation? (sorry if that doesn't make sense, I'm having trouble wording it correctly lol)
Yes. Its sort of like using the AP for merchandise, the AP has to pay for it. Now, he could probably hold the room with his credit card, but the payment would have to be in your name (or the AP name.) Options to get around this? Have him purchase a Disney Gift Card with his credit card and you pay with that.

CariBelle
04-02-2007, 11:40 AM
Thanks!

vegasmommytoDL
04-02-2007, 12:15 PM
Yes. Its sort of like using the AP for merchandise, the AP has to pay for it.

So if my daughter and I use an AP and we are in the park with my sister, can my sister use my 5 year old's AP (with my daughter being present) to get a dining discount? My 5 year old wouldn't be paying, my sister would!

Osky
04-02-2007, 12:17 PM
For room discounts, I was told the person had to be in the room, but not necessarily the one paying. That is what the staff of the GCH told me on a past trip.

kohl
04-02-2007, 12:19 PM
When we go with my parents, we have AP's and my parents don't. They ALWAYS pay for our room. I make all the reservations in my name,holding the room with my credit card. After we check in at the desk, my mom says she would like to pay for both rooms with her card. We have never had any problems with it. I don't think they care who pays for it, as long as they get paid.

Malcon10t
04-02-2007, 12:25 PM
So if my daughter and I use an AP and we are in the park with my sister, can my sister use my 5 year old's AP (with my daughter being present) to get a dining discount? My 5 year old wouldn't be paying, my sister would!
We did that up until a year ago. If your sister is paying in cash, there is no problem. If it is a credit card, they told us it was no go. So, we started using gift cards.....

Malcon10t
04-02-2007, 12:26 PM
When we go with my parents, we have AP's and my parents don't. They ALWAYS pay for our room. I make all the reservations in my name,holding the room with my credit card. After we check in at the desk, my mom says she would like to pay for both rooms with her card. We have never had any problems with it. I don't think they care who pays for it, as long as they get paid.Great then. They told us the AP had to be the one paying. Probably going to be a case of who is there at the time.

adriennek
04-02-2007, 12:42 PM
For quite a few years, when we've used credit cards, the person with the credit card had to be the person with the AP. To the point that if I show my AP for a discount, my HUSBAND can not use his credit card to pay. A few years ago they actually called our credit card company to verify that my name was also on the credit card account. (Yes, they made us do this once at the Emporium. Yes, we waited. No, it wasn't THAT big of a purchase but it was big enough that if they were going to push it that far, we would wait.)

Adrienne

hlbtimes2
04-02-2007, 01:38 PM
We did that up until a year ago. If your sister is paying in cash, there is no problem. If it is a credit card, they told us it was no go. So, we started using gift cards.....

Do they still just glance at them when you make a dinning purchase or have they started scanning them? When I was there in March and May of last year they never even looked at it that close. It was in my lanyard and could have have a picture of just about anybody on it and I dont think they would have noticed!

Malcon10t
04-02-2007, 01:45 PM
Do they still just glance at them when you make a dinning purchase or have they started scanning them? When I was there in March and May of last year they never even looked at it that close. It was in my lanyard and could have have a picture of just about anybody on it and I dont think they would have noticed!They look when paying by credit card, then they ask for ID for the credit card, to which I usualy reply "You just saw my AP" and they say "Oh yeah". When you have person A showing the AP and person B handing a credit card, its a different issue. We have had friends with us paying in cash and my son goes with them, flashes his AP and they say ok. And they do look as the PAP has a igher discount so they verify if it is a DAP/SoCal AP or a PAP. But Credit cards they won't let go. ie My ex was with us and paying for stuff. I would show my PAP and although the last name is the same, they would say "We need your CC." So, the work around was to get the gift card (which a CM suggested BTW...) He loads it up from his CC and then there aren't issues paying.

katiesue
04-02-2007, 02:34 PM
I did hotel reservations with the A/P rate, one room for me and one for my sister and family. When we checked in they paid their room on their card and my room on mine no problems.

Just yesterday at Goofy's my non-ap cousin paid for dinner but I showed them my AP and got the discount off the total.

My understanding was for dining if the AP was in the party you got the discount no matter who paid, same with hotels. With merchandise if paying with credit card the names on the AP and credit card had to match.

Malcon10t
04-02-2007, 04:48 PM
My understanding was for dining if the AP was in the party you got the discount no matter who paid, same with hotels. With merchandise if paying with credit card the names on the AP and credit card had to match.We've just had different experiences. Goofy's Kitchen refused to allow it when my s-dad was paying with a credit card (did allow him to pay cash) and I had the PAP. Pizza Port refused a discount with a credit card until my other son with the same name as his dads showed his AP. This is probably a case of depends on who you get.

kohl
04-02-2007, 06:51 PM
We've just had different experiences. Goofy's Kitchen refused to allow it when my s-dad was paying with a credit card (did allow him to pay cash) and I had the PAP. Pizza Port refused a discount with a credit card until my other son with the same name as his dads showed his AP. This is probably a case of depends on who you get.

Everytime we go with my parents to Goofy's Kitchen, I show my PAP and my mom hands them her credit card to pay. They have never told us that I had to pay.

WITron
04-02-2007, 09:44 PM
I was with a large party at the Wine Country Tatoria and they asked if anyone had an AP, which one person did. They gave us the discount on the meal, and we also had 5 seperate checks. I guess it just depends on the person.

Malcon10t
04-03-2007, 07:56 AM
I was with a large party at the Wine Country Tatoria and they asked if anyone had an AP, which one person did. They gave us the discount on the meal, and we also had 5 seperate checks. I guess it just depends on the person.They did this at Cafe Orleans with us at Christmas, and that time it didn't seem to matter that the CC wasn't in the same name. Until about 18mos ago, it didn't seem to matter who paid as long as there was an AP in the group. Then suddenly, during the 50th, they no longer would accept my mom's CC with my younger daughter showing her AP. (She loved getting to do this.) They said they were simply enforcing an old rule and apologized. They even told us to get Disney Dollars with a CC to avoid the hassle. To me, it seems like it all depends on who you get. For the OP with the hotel issue, I would rather be safe than sorry than get there and have them deny the $35 a night discount.

CariBelle
04-03-2007, 10:12 AM
Thanks for all the advice everyone! I'll be sure to bring up all the possible issues with my brother this weekend :)

WITron
04-03-2007, 08:05 PM
They did this at Cafe Orleans with us at Christmas, and that time it didn't seem to matter that the CC wasn't in the same name. Until about 18mos ago, it didn't seem to matter who paid as long as there was an AP in the group. Then suddenly, during the 50th, they no longer would accept my mom's CC with my younger daughter showing her AP. (She loved getting to do this.) They said they were simply enforcing an old rule and apologized. They even told us to get Disney Dollars with a CC to avoid the hassle. To me, it seems like it all depends on who you get. For the OP with the hotel issue, I would rather be safe than sorry than get there and have them deny the $35 a night discount.

This was just a few weeks ago that this happened.