PDA

View Full Version : A few Disneyland questions for a maybe first timer

RunninDisney
04-02-2007, 08:34 AM
I've been to WDW a few times, but never to DL. Never to California actually.
Does DL offer busses to and from LAX? While looking at hotels, some of them say "Across from DL gates." Can you walk across to DL, or do you need a shuttle, cab, etc?
Which DL resort would your recomment for 2 adults?

I'm sure I'll think of some more questions later.

Thanks!

DisneylandForever
04-02-2007, 08:52 AM
Disney doesn't offer shuttle service, but there are plenty of options. Besides taxis there are Super Shuttles and the Airport Bus. Last time I took the Airport Bus it was around 16 bucks round trip, but I've been getting rides from the airport lately so that info is a year old.

Some places try to say "across the street" or "across the gates" to make you think it's super close. And while across the street from Disneyland is in fact close, it doesn't necessarily mean you'll be close to the entrance. I personally stay across the street from the entrance every time. I hate waiting for shuttles. The closest hotels to the main entrance are on S. Harbor, between 1380 S. Harbor Blvd (Howard Johnson's) and 1734 S. Harbor Blvd (Castle Inn & Suites). Directly across the street from the Castle Inn is the only hotel on that block that's on the same side of the street as DL, and that's the Candy Cane Inn (1747 S. Harbor).

My recommendations:

Howard Johnson's
Candy Cane
Ramada Maingate
Carousel Inn
Anaheim Desert Inn

Most of the hotels "on the strip" are decent enough. I hated the Tropicana but haven't stayed there since they re-modeled it (and that was years ago). I also really disliked the "Best Inn", but they've since changed ownership and are now the Del Sol. I hear though that they still have paper thin walls and rock hard beds. So I avoid that place too.

But for the most part, all the others (Park Place Inn, Park Vue, Fairfield Inn, etc) should be just fine.

FYI: There is one on the corner of S Harbor and Disney Way, across the street from the Ramada Maingate called the Anaheim Plaza. It is usually cheaper than the others, and it's not as bad as some people say it is. It's not my favorite spot by any means, but when it's 79 a night and the HoJo is 129, I usually opt for the Plaza and spend the extra money in the Parks.

RockDoc07
04-02-2007, 08:53 AM
I am actually not sure about the status of the shuttles from LAX. There are definitely shuttles to hotels and the resort area from SNA (John Wayne Airport)

As far as the hotels that say they are across the street from the gates, they are most certainly that. You'll be able to see the entrance to the esplanade from your windows if you face harbor.

However, do be aware: There are some hotels that say they are across the street from Disneyland. For a good chunk this is only true technically because they may be across the street from the boundary of the property. They are not across the street from the gate, and you may have to walk around the entire perimeter of the Disney property in order to get in to the park, or take a shuttle if the walking isn't as feasible/doable/preferable for you. Check the address or even Google Earth the hotels sometimes. We found a great deal at a great hotel only to find out that really it was behind Toontown and the offices rather than right across from the gates.

Hope this helps.

Cool Runnings
Doc

HobbitFeet
04-02-2007, 08:55 AM
If you look at this map (http://www.geocities.com/ashpsyche/DisneylandLinkMap.html), you can see that "across the street" really CAN mean across the street! You can walk from those across the street. For hotels a little further away, I think some have a shuttle, and from others you can use the Anaheim transportation (called ART, I think?), or I suppose you could call a taxi if you wanted to.

We're staying at the Carousel, which is right across the street, and everyone has told me that it's actually CLOSER to the entrance than our previously-chosen "on site" hotel, Paradise Pier. Since we had to switch hotels anyway (money), we were glad to know that we were getting something out of it, like a closer walk (and continental breakfast, LOL).

About halfway down this page (http://www.mouseplanet.com/al/docs/direct.htm) there is some info about transportation from the airport(s). Now I have to go read it again. :)

simnia
04-02-2007, 09:58 AM
The above map link is pretty good. Here is my own list of businesses ringing Disneyland that has more up-to-date names. The places highlighted in yellow will be immediately across the street from Disneyland, at worst, or actually on Disneyland's "block", at best. (Hotel Menage is an oddly situated exception, though.) Disneyland's pedestrian entrance is probably closest to the place marked "East Shuttle Area" on Harbor Boulevard, and the front gates are also about the same distance from Downtown Disney on Disneyland Drive, so the closer a hotel is to either of those 2 entrance areas, the less you'd have to walk. Pretty much every place around Disneyland is walkable; busses & shuttles are never necessary unless you have difficulty walking or are in a hurry.

http://www.simnia.com/dl/dl-periphery/dl-periphery_addresses.htm#harbor

Malcon10t
04-02-2007, 10:23 AM
If you look at this map (http://www.geocities.com/ashpsyche/DisneylandLinkMap.html), you can see that "across the street" really CAN mean across the street! You can walk from those across the street.
I really like this map and use it often. Park Vue Inn and Park Place Inn are closer to the crosswalk than the map makes them appear. Easy walkable motels along there will be the Park Vue, Park Place, Desert Inn, Tropicana, Carousel, Del Sol, Anaheim Inn, Camelot, Hojos, and Ramada. A little longer walk will be the Anaheim Plaza hotel and the Castle Inn.

Darkbeer
04-02-2007, 11:29 AM
Here is a link to the Disneyland Express Airport Bus, which has a coupon to save $3 a person.

http://anaheimsightseeing.com/anaheimairport/

adriennek
04-02-2007, 12:54 PM
I've been to WDW a few times, but never to DL. Never to California actually.
Does DL offer busses to and from LAX? While looking at hotels, some of them say "Across from DL gates." Can you walk across to DL, or do you need a shuttle, cab, etc?

Be prepared for a completely different experience in Anaheim.

The Howard Johnson's is a pretty decent property and it's just about a 10 minute walk from the gates? Maybe 15? Maybe. Other decent hotels, as you can see by the map, really are RIGHT at the gates.

There are shuttles from hotels that I consider walking distance. Being in good shape as you are, (heck, you're not afraid of a 26+ mile jaunt, what's a half mile walk?) I imagine you might not mind a walk either? I really like the Marriott hotel at the Convention Center. The rooms are much nicer than any room I've ever had at the Disneyland Hotel and cleaner, too. It's definitely more of a walk than the Howard Johnson's or the Harbor properties, but I wouldn't hesitate to walk from there to the parks.

Adrienne

Malcon10t
04-02-2007, 01:31 PM
I really like the Marriott hotel at the Convention Center. The rooms are much nicer than any room I've ever had at the Disneyland Hotel and cleaner, too. It's definitely more of a walk than the Howard Johnson's or the Harbor properties, but I wouldn't hesitate to walk from there to the parks.

AdrienneAnother really nice place that doesn't get as much attention here is the Anaheim Sheraton (not the Sheraton Park.) Its a 15 min walk, but it is very pretty and the rooms are HUGE!

HobbitFeet
04-03-2007, 10:09 AM
Here is a link to the Disneyland Express Airport Bus, which has a coupon to save $3 a person.

http://anaheimsightseeing.com/anaheimairport/

Thanks, darkbeer! I've been re-looking for that service. Couldn't find it in my Favorites.

CariBelle
04-03-2007, 10:31 AM
My boyfriend and I always stay at the Anaheim Plaza, so that would be my rec. for two adults :) It's about 1 and half city blocks for the main crosswalk and it usually takes us less than 10 minutes to get from hotel to main gate.

Bolivar
04-03-2007, 10:49 AM
There are some criteria that I think would greatly influence your choice
of hotels.

First, how long will you be staying? If you are staying three days or
less, then I would go for a hotel closer to the park. This is because I
wouldn't spend much time at the hotel and would spend all my time at the
park. If you are staying longer, then I might be willing to take a
shuttle or walk a bit farther because I would be more likely to take
breaks from the park; breaks where I want to lay by the pool or enjoy
the grounds of the hotel. The hotels right across the street are motels
and really don't have any grounds to enjoy.

Do you have kids and how old are they? This makes a major difference
for me. Packing kids up and making sure they have everything, getting
them on a shuttle or walking farther is a real pain with kids. Being
right across the street where you can run back to the hotel at a moments
notice for the forget whatever is a real benefit.

What is most important to you? Do you want a great room, nice grounds
to relax and wander, a cheap place to sleep the night? Do you want to
be at the park open to close or will you do some lounging at the hotel?

What do you want to pay? In my opinion the best DL experience is to
stay at the Disneyland Hotel. It is right there, it is Disney themed
and you travel through DTD to get to the hotel so for your visit you
really never leave the insular world of Disney. I absolutely love that
experience, but it is going to cost you. You could pay a bit less by
staying at the PPH or a bit more at the GCH, and others would have
different opinions on which is the better experience.

Picking out a hotel is really a juggling act of balancing your
particular criteria: distance, nice grounds, room size and amenities,
price.

Mickeygirlforever
04-03-2007, 06:13 PM
DL is totally closer than WDW (just got back from our first time to WDW and it was HUGE compared to DL). Our family favorites are The Residence Inn at Garden Grove and the Embassy Suites on Garden Grove (our family prefers 2 bathrooms = Residence, Embassy is very nice as well though). There is an ART bus (Anaheim Resort Transportation) that goes to DL from most of the close hotels. And yes, the "across the street" hotels are really just a crosswalk away from the gates. It's totally different than WDW, everything's closer to you. Have fun...I'm jealous!!

Foodie
04-03-2007, 06:47 PM
We stayed at the Tropicana Inn last August and it was fine. It's literally across the street from the park. You can leave your room and be at the park in about 5 minutes. It's super easy to get to and from. I highly recommend it. My aunt and her kids went in November and stayed at one of the Disney hotels, and they weren't very impressed. They said it wasn't worth the money and actually a lot further from the park than the hotels across the street.

Good luck!
-Foodie:D