PDA

View Full Version : If you could upgrade a ride...

Pages : [1] 2

jeffthechef
04-02-2007, 08:31 AM
So recent upgrades to HM and POC have been pretty well recieved. Have you ever thought about another ride that you would plus? Which rides currently in operation need an upgrade in order to keep them fresh?

And no, you cannot "add a loop."

Lekta
04-02-2007, 08:44 AM
I'd like to see different footage on Soaring Cali. Also, a random drop program on ToT (like WDW) would be great.

Wallad1075
04-02-2007, 08:54 AM
What about a corkscrew? jk!

I think the CARS upgrade to Autopia would be well received. I know everyone is getting sick of the Pixar takeover, but those are the movies for the new generation. Hence why Pirates has taken over TSI.

RockDoc07
04-02-2007, 08:56 AM
I think they could change the footage on Soarin' so that it isn't as choppy. In other words, fly over the Golden Gate Bridge one moment, cut to valleys and rivers the next. I read somewhere once a good suggestion (might have even been and probably was on this board) that someone said it would be neat if they could soar back up into the clouds or something to offer a smooth transition between scenes.

Cool Runnings all!
Doc

raediance
04-02-2007, 08:59 AM
I would change Muholland Madness (or however you spell it). The last part as you're about to get out always hurts my head.

tink's mom
04-02-2007, 09:14 AM
What about a corkscrew? jk!

I think the CARS upgrade to Autopia would be well received. I know everyone is getting sick of the Pixar takeover, but those are the movies for the new generation. Hence why Pirates has taken over TSI.

I like that idea, I know my DS would love it. I think that would be really cute, and could only add to the ride.

vegasmommytoDL
04-02-2007, 09:15 AM
I think a new movie in place of "Honey I Shrunk The Audience" would be a much needed change.

Heck... bring back Captain EO for all I care... the kids haven't seen it yet and most of us who saw it as children would appreciate seeing it again (jokes aside)!

Or perhaps Star Tours could use a new "destination". They have plenty of travel posters for other destinations. It would be nice if you got a random movie so it wasn't always the same!

A Big Fan
04-02-2007, 09:33 AM
Astro Blasters in the It's a Small World Boats!

Wallad1075
04-02-2007, 09:34 AM
Or perhaps Star Tours could use a new "destination". They have plenty of travel posters for other destinations. It would be nice if you got a random movie so it wasn't always the same!

Its too bad the ride isn't based more on an individual basis, instead of holding upwards of 40 guests per cycle. They could apply the technology that went into Horizons at Epcot, where you could choose your ending to the ride. That was always exciting.

pisces
04-02-2007, 10:53 AM
Winnie the Pooh. Autopia.

vegasmommytoDL
04-02-2007, 11:18 AM
Is there any talk of doing anything with the Peoplemover track? Seems like such a waste of space. Also the little pond between IASW and Autopia.

mistofviolets
04-02-2007, 11:28 AM
Somehow making the Peter Pan line move faster without changing or wrecking the ride would be Mah-velous!

jeffthechef
04-02-2007, 12:02 PM
Somehow making the Peter Pan line move faster without changing or wrecking the ride would be Mah-velous!

Supposedly, PP is due for a major overhaul in the next few years. The idea of replacing the boats with ones that have 2 rows was presented, but the bean counters said it was too costly. To increase capacity, the entire overhead rail would need to be replaced.

I guess the ride isn't popular enough to sink the extra money into:confused:

vegasmommytoDL
04-02-2007, 12:11 PM
I guess the ride isn't popular enough to sink the extra money into:confused:

I think it goes back to "I love that ride but the line takes too long."

I, personally, think that ride is ingenious... I'm just not willing to stand in line for it for 2 hours. If the line moved faster I think it would gain much popularity. I remember MAKING my parents stand in line for it when I was a teenager because they had never even been on it since the line was ALWAYS long!

oregontraveler
04-02-2007, 12:56 PM
Is there any talk of doing anything with the Peoplemover track? Seems like such a waste of space. Also the little pond between IASW and Autopia.

When they put in Rocket Rods on the PM track, the safety requirements
became more restrictive. With a new ride, you can't rely on the 'grandfather'
clause anymore. So to bring the PM back, the vehicles would have a more enclosed design since you can reach out and touch the walls at times.

One of the other rumors right now is that the Motor Boat Cruise ride, aka
Fantasia Gardens, is going to be used as the que for the Nemo subs.
I can't confirm this since I haven't been to the park since last August.

vegasmommytoDL
04-02-2007, 01:16 PM
I don't want to bring the Peoplemover back. It caused too many deaths from people being stupid (not the rides fault!). It would just be nice if they could use it for something!

As for the Fantasia Garden being used for the Sub queue I have no information on that but I suppose they will need somewhere to put the long line! (Hopes for Fastpass machines)

Bolivar
04-02-2007, 01:50 PM
Here are my thoughts:

Fantasyland

Put the low capacity rides like Peter Pan on fastpass. I know some
don't like it, but I will never stand in line for more than 30 minutes,
so I go to FL during early entry or not at all. FP would at least give
a fighting chance to those who arrive later and want to ride it but
refuse to stand in that line.

Matterhorn: Remove Harold from one of the sides. My daughter would
love that ride but she is deathly afraid of the monster. He doesn't add
enough to the ride to exclude the ride from those he scares. Having him
on only one side seems a good compromise.

Adventureland

Tarzan's Treehouse: This does add some ambiance to the place, but as an
attraction it seems a complete waste to me. My kids never got anything
out of it nor showed any interest in it. Did anyone's?

Aladdin's Whatever: I can't even tell you the name of the place, the
thing between the Jungle Cruise and the Tiki Room. This always seems
closed down or nothing going on. Maybe it is the best thing at DL, but
I've never seen it. Either fix the confusion about show times or put
something else in there.

Tomorrowland

HISTA: Get rid of it. I have no suggestions for a replacement, but it
is old and tired. However, don't shut it down until there is a
replacement. As much as I don't like it, I would like a vacant building
even more -- although it practically is a vacant building now I guess.

Star Tours: Look at the technological advances in special effects.
While some have complaints about the new Star Wars films, no one says
that they aren't visually stunning. Put some of that to use here on
this ride. Let's go to the underwater Gungan city on Naboo. Let's go
to the volcanic planet of Mustafar. Let's go to Geonosis with the
flying bugs, the area with the huge animals and the robot factory.
Today they could make this ride beautiful and they could make the
visuals match the ride motion rather than almost match the motion. Just
think if it had a half dozen or so destinations and you never knew which
you would get when you got on.

Innoventions: Need I say anything.

Astro Orbiters: Move it back up into the sky above Tomorrowland where
it belongs.

Toontown

With the exception of Rodger Rabbit and Gadget's Go Coaster, I find the
place a waste of space. Gut the whole land and start over. I'm not
sure with what, but something.

cillydznygirl
04-02-2007, 01:51 PM
Deaths? I have never heard of anyone dying on the People Mover. Just TMRR and that incident with the Columbia. Were the deaths part of the reason they took it out besides the Tomorrowland upgrade?

aricbell
04-02-2007, 02:03 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PeopleMover#Deaths

Two guests have died on the PeopleMover

I've heard from credible sources however the reason for it's closing was both high maintanence costs as well as the attraction was not ADA accessible and Disney didn't want to pump money into fixing that glitch:(

Lekta
04-02-2007, 02:04 PM
There were multiple deaths on the People Mover, and I'm sure that is one of the reasons it is gone.

cillydznygirl
04-02-2007, 02:06 PM
Thanks for the article. So sad...........

Bolivar
04-02-2007, 02:13 PM
Two deaths, one in 1967 and the other in 1980 do strike me as complling in the decision to close the atraction. Had it been closed in 1980 or even 81, I might see the connection.

itig
04-02-2007, 03:16 PM
It will never happen, but I sorely miss the Skyway to Tomorrowland. Riding it was one of my best memories from my first DL visit as a kid. I remember being amazed looking down at park and was totally caught up in the magic of being at DL. It always bums me out to walk by the loading area in FL...

Beyond that, a Cars conversion for Autopia would be really cool in my opinion, especially if they brought in some visuals from the movie along the road. My kids would love it...and so would I.

Astro Orbitors definitely should be moved back to where they were for two reasons:
1) Makes the ride more exciting being up in the air higher
2) Forces the removal of the satellite-looking scrap heap currently sitting in this prominent spot.

Ditch the Pooh ride and bring back Bear Country Jamboree (or make the Pooh ride MUCH better than it is now...)

Call it Pixarland if you'd like, but I think those pods from the Incredibles could be fun on the old Peoplemover track. They have the retro-future look and could be cool, especially with some kind of on-board show -- I don't know...I'm not an Imagineer, but I see possibilities here :)

Get rid of that big, ugly, brown/gold rock mountain mess at the Tomorrowland entrance and open things up a bit.

OK, I'll stop there.

...oh wait, and a large fry please.

ILoveDisneyMagic
04-02-2007, 03:55 PM
Yes, bring back Country Bear Jamboree!! I guess if the movie had been a success, it would have saved the show.

A Cars tie in to the Autopia ride would be great and easy to do!

And why can't I remember the PeopleMover? I'm drawing a total blank on that.

raediance
04-02-2007, 04:07 PM
Aladdin's Whatever: I can't even tell you the name of the place, the
thing between the Jungle Cruise and the Tiki Room. This always seems
closed down or nothing going on. Maybe it is the best thing at DL, but
I've never seen it. Either fix the confusion about show times or put
something else in there.

yeah, it does always seem closed, but the one time I watched it I fell in love. it's really funny, only a few levels below my rank of the DCA show.