PDA

View Full Version : Mr. Potato Head parts

Pages : [1] 2

LOZZYPOP
04-01-2007, 08:03 PM
Does Engineer Toys in DCA still offer the box of Mr. Potato Head parts? (for about $20 I believe)

I did search the forums and I understand that the box is a little bigger than the potato body. I don't need the body since the "Easter Bunny" is bringing my daughter a Mr. Potato Head next week.

About how many parts would you say you could stuff in there? Just an average, say you have some shoes, some arms, some hats and rearrange things to stuff the box to capacity. 10 pieces, 20?

Does anyone have a record number of pieces that they were able to fit in?

Ragrobyn
04-01-2007, 08:05 PM
The secret the to "tap" the box to make the pieces fall to the bottom and use up the space. I never counted, but I was able to maximize the box space :D

yenko427
04-01-2007, 08:13 PM
In Feb. they were $18 a box. We got a truckload of parts in that box but then my DH spent the time to cram and strategically place the parts in the box to maximize the space.

hlbtimes2
04-01-2007, 08:34 PM
I worked and worked to get the most peices in that I could. I did end up with a few duplicates (great when you have two kids!). I got a nice mix of small and large parts. There were over 40 pieces all together. Note: watch the arms! There are lefts and rights, make sure you dont get all the same side.

Here is what I got:
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a11/hlbtimes2/IMG_1834-1.jpg

TikiGeek
04-02-2007, 07:50 AM
You can really get a lot of parts into one of the boxes if you are careful. The bases take up much of the room which is too bad because those are some of the coolest parts. Go for the really unique stuff.

hlbtimes2
04-02-2007, 07:56 AM
Oh, another tip- ask the cm at the register what the rules are on the box closing. When we were there only one side if it needed to close- that gave a bit of extra space at the top of the box.

jaxsonmommy
04-02-2007, 08:10 AM
Hi there,
Do you have to buy the body? We already have one so I just want the parts.

TikiGeek
04-02-2007, 08:14 AM
Hi there,
Do you have to buy the body? We already have one so I just want the parts.No. You can buy just a box of parts.

mistofviolets
04-02-2007, 08:19 AM
You don't need to buy a body. The box needs to technically close, but not necessarily stay closed on its own ;) And if there's something on display, but you can't find it out...ask. We got the wands that way, made my dd's day :)

We chose what we wanted most, then worked the arms in around them. There's no time limit, so you can really sit and play with the box to maximize space. We got quite a few things...but it really depends on how big your must haves are.

monkeysmom
04-02-2007, 02:27 PM
I think the potato policy has changed. I was planning on just getting a box of pieces, too, since we have the body at home. When we were shopping at Mouse Gear during the first week of March, I was told by a CM that if you didn't buy the potato body, the pieces were $2 a piece. Since the box with the body was $19 I figured it was best to get the body and stuff as many pieces in and around it as possible. I still ended up with a lot of pieces and I did buy a lot of the bigger hats and shoes, etc... I also got two left pirate ears...make sure you don't do that!

acpalmer
04-03-2007, 08:31 AM
I think the potato policy has changed. I was planning on just getting a box of pieces, too, since we have the body at home. When we were shopping at Mouse Gear during the first week of March, I was told by a CM that if you didn't buy the potato body, the pieces were $2 a piece. Since the box with the body was $19 I figured it was best to get the body and stuff as many pieces in and around it as possible. I still ended up with a lot of pieces and I did buy a lot of the bigger hats and shoes, etc... I also got two left pirate ears...make sure you don't do that!

We were at the toy store in California Adventure the last week of March and heard a CM tell someone the same thing. Nothing to stop you from stuffing the body full before putting it in there, though!

motoxprincess31
04-03-2007, 01:18 PM
Unless they very recently changed it we went in january and there was no problem just buying the part and not the potato. Also I asked about the top pf the box being closed, and the one CM showed me how to barely close it, he said that was good enough, I was suprised they counted it, parts were pretty much sticking out the top!

yenko427
04-03-2007, 01:37 PM
If I am reading this correctly, you can't just shove parts in the box any longer for $18 or $19? I don't want a body.......

4princesses
04-03-2007, 03:50 PM
I think it must depend on what CM helps you. We were there mid-March and a very nice CM told me I didn't need to buy the body, just stuff in as many parts as I could into the box. When I wanted one extra part that wouldn't fit, she told me I couldn't buy it alone, but actually repacked my box for me so that the leftover piece would fit. Now that's service!!

Bumbershoot
04-03-2007, 10:10 PM
We got a lot of parts in ours. We just took our time and put them in there very carefully and we did a lot of damage. lol!!

hlbtimes2
04-04-2007, 05:34 AM
If I am reading this correctly, you can't just shove parts in the box any longer for $18 or $19? I don't want a body.......

If they make you buy a body, make sure to pack the body FULL of little parts before you stick it in there. And, it might help to leave the "bottom" off, and stick it in there on the side.

cstephens
04-04-2007, 07:34 AM
If they make you buy a body, make sure to pack the body FULL of little parts before you stick it in there. And, it might help to leave the "bottom" off, and stick it in there on the side.

From various reports, it does apparently depend on which CM you get. My suggestion is to ask the CM there whether you have to buy a body or if you can just buy the parts. If they say just parts, fill away. If they say body, come back another time and ask again until you find a CM who says "just parts".

lab girl
04-05-2007, 08:18 AM
Are they for sale anywhere in WDW?
(I never new they existed during our trips to DCA and our next trip is our FIRST trip to WDW:D )

Drince88
04-05-2007, 08:24 AM
Are they for sale anywhere in WDW?
(I never new they existed during our trips to DCA and our next trip is our FIRST trip to WDW:D )

Yes, Once Upon a Toy has a large selection (I didn't have to buy a body) and some of the larger resorts might as well (I saw them at Pop in December).

charpaul
04-06-2007, 12:58 AM
There is also a smaller version of the Potato Bar at the Gag Factory store in Toon Town at Disneyland. It has much more llimited selection, Not sure if there are any parts that are ONLY available in Disneyland...

AVP
04-06-2007, 08:24 AM
Walt Disney World has a MUCH larger selection of parts than either of the Disneyland Resort locations. Apparently there are ride vehicles (Dumbo, Buzz Lightyear's Astro Blasters) and character parts (Mary Poppins, Cruella) that are only sold at WDW.

As of 4/5, the CMs at DCA told me that you do not need to buy a body.

AVP

adriennek
04-06-2007, 08:55 AM
We went at the holidays for stocking stuffers - let me tell you, Doc got that box STUFFED. We ended up getting extra ears - we didn't really need them but they fit in the box and at that point, nothing else would, so we just got them and stuffed them in! (Really, you can always use odds and ends like ears...)

Stuff Wisely. :D

Adrienne

disneyfn
04-06-2007, 11:41 AM
I believe WDW has a different policy than DCA. In Florida you can buy individual parts for $2 but at DCA they won't let you buy single items.:(

cheshirecatgirl
04-06-2007, 09:29 PM
I have bought Potato head boxes at WDW at the Once Upon a toy store several times, and I have never bought the bodies, just stuffed the boxes full of parts. I was told once that you can buy the parts individually for $2 apiece, which I think would be a good option for the really big pieces. I haven't done that yet. Last time I got them, I managed to cram in a lot of big pieces. You just have to rearrange the parts and cram smaller pieces in, around, under and beside the bigger ones. I got two Mary Poppins umbrellas, 2 mary poppins hats, a pair of pirate boots, 2 pirate hats, 2 pirate parrots, a few other hats, a lot of arms, pirate eyes, mini autogaph books, mickey ice cream bars, and more. I can't remember it all, but it was quite a bit. The first time I filled it, the box would not fully close, and the CM said at least one side had to fully close, so I repacked the box and got one side just barely closed enough to satisfy the CM. It does depend on the CM how closed or not they will let you get away with. I think it is great fun to get all the cool Disney exclusive parts, and it is a challenge to fit as many as possible in the box. I have always been satisfied that I got my money's worth.

I also have gotten the My little Pony fill a box too, and that is just as fun!

adriennek
04-06-2007, 10:17 PM
but at DCA they won't let you buy single items.:(

Really? I thought you could??

Adrienne