PDA

View Full Version : *official*DCA Tower of Terror thread

Superty88
06-11-2002, 03:57 PM
Im completly exsited over ToT comming to DCA!! Im really intrested in what people think about the whole subject of ToT comming so I made a list of all the questions I can think of about it. Here they are

Do you think DCA's version of ToT will be better looking than the MGM version?
Will it be a faster loader/ slower leader than the MGM version?
How different do you think it will be?
Will the queing area be worse/equal/ or better than the MGM version?
What do you think the deal is with the disapearing guests effect?
Will all the original ToT scenes be included? Like 5th dimension............
How much more attendence will DCA get with the addition of ToT?
How will it affect screamin, soarin, and grizzlie?
Will it greatly improve DCA or is it only a tiny step?
Do you think they will rush it and turn it into a stinky pile of poo poo?
Do you think it will open to the public in early/mid/late 2004 or do you think it will open in 2003 or 2005?

Id be glad to here anyones answers to any of my questions and if they have any facts that I dont know and im always glad to hear speculation.
(P.S. I understand that they have been other ToT treads befor but I just wanted to make a updated, more informed, big daddy of all of them.) Have fun and seya later

Nigel2
06-11-2002, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Superty88
Do you think DCA's version of ToT will be better looking than the MGM version?

What do you think the deal is with the disapearing guests effect?
How much more attendence will DCA get with the addition of ToT?
How will it affect screamin, soarin, and grizzlie?
Will it greatly improve DCA or is it only a tiny step?

Do you think it will open to the public in early/mid/late 2004 or do you think it will open in 2003 or 2005?

Well if it doesn't look like a floridian hotel (or at least it isn't the same color) it should look a little better.:D

Well it may bring up attendance a decent amount, kind of like puting in indy, but it might not as much as the New Tomorrowland (at opening).

Well it should have no effect on those rides at all.

It's a step in the right direction, but one ride wouldn't be any great stride for most parks.

Well since it is Slated for 2004 they may have it finished early but they probably won't have it open until 2004 since they will want to do all the testing and stuff.

innerSpaceman
06-11-2002, 04:34 PM
I have no hard facts to back this up, but I think our ToT is going to be as cheap an imitation as the hacks at Disney think they can get away with (and that's pretty cheap nowadays, folks!).

I think it will look pretty much like the Florida version, but word is that it will be much less tall (and that the drop will take you below street level so as to cover the same vertical distance as the Orlando attraction).

I also hear (though this may be pure rumour) that several scenes will be eliminated, and the queue area will not be as detailed. These are rumours which I find to be totally believable given the current state of Disney accountimagineering.

I think the Tower will be but a baby step in reforming DCA. At least it will be the lone save-the-park addition to remain true to the California theme, but I think that after the flurry of immediate attention, the deficits of the park will remain apparent and attendance will drop again. In my opinion, it will take at least five new and amazing attractions to turn the park around. At the pace Disney has established for this kind of thing, if it happens at all, we're talking 2019.

stan4d_steph
06-11-2002, 04:39 PM
If you're interested, you can see the construction from the steps to the mezzanine and balcony levels of the Hyperion Theater. This past weekend, rebar for the shafts was visible. I didn't look very hard or take photos, but it looks like the ride will not feature the "one shaft up, different shaft down" design of Florida's ToT. I certainly hope DCA's ToT will be just as cool as Florida's, but I'm not holding my breath.

Disney Nick
06-11-2002, 05:02 PM
One can only hope that they don't cut corners on this one. I understand the reasoning for the hotel going underground and being half the height. I just really hope that they do a good queue and don't cut any scenes out. As to what is meant by the disappearing guest we will just have to wait and see.

zapppop
06-11-2002, 05:09 PM
I have never been to the Walt Disney World Resort so I have no idea how this version will differ from that one or what to expect. I just hope WDI does a good job creating this attraction and that it gets the funding needed. DCA needs allot more rides and TOT will help beef up the roster of attractions and generate more interest in California Adventure, however, currently its the ONLY major ride approved for the park [ I'm not counting Bug's Land since it's only 5 kids rides (which supposedly) teenager and adults cannot ride ].

The Tower Of Terror opens Friday, February 8, 2004 ( on DCA's 3rd anniversary ).

Nigel2
06-11-2002, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by stan4d_steph
If you're interested, you can see the construction from the steps to the mezzanine and balcony levels of the Hyperion Theater. This past weekend, rebar for the shafts was visible. I didn't look very hard or take photos, but it looks like the ride will not feature the "one shaft up, different shaft down" design of Florida's ToT. I certainly hope DCA's ToT will be just as cool as Florida's, but I'm not holding my breath.
I beleive there will be 3 shafts going up and down (same one I think) which is one more than the Fl version. Oh and on the dissapearing guests, well that won't be known until they finish.:D

justagrrl
06-12-2002, 05:45 AM
Originally posted by Nigel2

I beleive there will be 3 shafts going up and down (same one I think) which is one more than the Fl version. Oh and on the dissapearing guests, well that won't be known until they finish.:D

According to Disney Magazine, there WILL be a disappearing guest effect...they also had a nice picture of it...I'd scan it but I think the kids got to my mag. after I was done so who knows where it is now.

I can't wait!

Nigel2
06-13-2002, 08:55 PM
I am assuming you mean a photo of the hotel (looks like they used the same one from the poster they had on DCA's 1st anniverary) and not the guest effect. But we won't know if the effect will ever become a reality until closer to the completion since it costs them a whole lot less to but a blurb in about it than it does to actually build it and hype that one effect.:D

SoCalDisneyLover
06-14-2002, 06:30 AM
With all this talk about the "Disappearing Guest" effect, which people seem to be saying may be Unique to the CA ride. I've been on the Florida ride, and I seem to recall that there is a segment on the ride where the hotel guests are all standing with luggage in front of you, and then they disappear. Am I mistaken about this, or does anybody know how the CA version will be different?

MonorailMan
06-14-2002, 07:01 AM
I'm thinking the other guests around you will disappear. :confused:

Flynn
06-14-2002, 08:15 AM
I guess I'm a bit confused by all the hubub about the Tot. Isn't it more or less just a themed version of the Maliboomer? (Hoping that I remembered the name right. The one that takes you straight up and drops you over and over.) If so, aren't there already two rides in the park that do that? While the additional themeing will be nice, and the disappearing guest effect sounds neat, it sounds fairly redundant. Especially since those of us who are afraid of heights and don't like to be randomly dropped a few dozen stories likely won't be that interested in it.

justagrrl
06-14-2002, 08:17 AM
Maliboomer shoots you up - like a rocket blast off

ToT, in my understanding, is more like a pulled drop....

but then they both sort of bounce up and down a bit...but once again...I've never been on ToT so I don't really know. ;)

Then also the visual effects of Tot...

Matterhorn Fan
06-14-2002, 09:06 AM
The Maliboomer is like one of those freefall rides, only in reverse. They shoot you stright up, you bounce a bit, and are lowered (not dropped) down.

Someone mentioned another ride at DCA that's similar. I imagine you must be thinking about Jumpin Jellyfish, which is tamer and more "floaty."

Tower or Terror is in a whole 'nother ball park. Yes, there's the freefall element to it, but that's not why you go on it, at least at MGM. The theming of the outside and the queue areas is incredible and the ride has a story and some really neat effects. The drop is just one element.

Hopefully the DCA version is just as good.

Nigel2
06-14-2002, 09:19 PM
I beleive they called it a new effect with the dissapearing guests, for all we know it could mean that you may see the people go in the elevator but when they come down they might get off on another level or just go out the back without other guests seeing them leave which could make the guests "think" the party before them disapeared.:D

Tigertail777
06-14-2002, 11:25 PM
Actually I was thinking about the dissappearing guest thing myself, and thought it would probably something along these lines: you can see each others elevators in the shaft across from one another, and due to either a earlier videotaped segment taken of the guests, or something like a two way mirror, or a pepper's ghost illusion, you see the people in the car in the shaft across from you dissappear. Or you could use a simular effect somewhere else: maybe you look in a mirror in the lobby and see the guest on the ride slowly fade out via pepper's ghost. Lots of places and ways to do it, but I think it will almost certaintly utilize the pepper ghost effect because it is still fairly impressive, and cheap to do (just look at the ballroom in HM).

Nigel2
06-14-2002, 11:31 PM
If there was a convincing way they could pull it off I would say have the guest exit into a neat and clean version of the hotel as if it were still running. Basically giving the illusion of dementional travel but then they would have to figure a way to pull off an exit (revolving door?) to send them back to their own time.:D

Gracy_hm
06-15-2002, 03:49 PM
It isn't a cheaper version, it is going to be tall 180-200 can't remember. The quality of the ride will be just as high. Disney knows they need it to be good and they arn't cutting corners on this! The guests and yourself willl vanish not a ghost.

NOW Malliboomer and Tower of Terror.....
You shouldn't act like this is even close to the same ride it is not appropriate. This would be like comparing Muppets 3D to Its tough to be a Bug or Journey to the Center of the Earth to Test track. Just because it uses simmilar ride systems means NOTHING! both can coexist in the park.

Take care, Kyle B.

Ace
06-22-2002, 04:24 PM
how many shafts will the DCA version have?

JRob2k1
06-22-2002, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by Squinky
how many shafts will the DCA version have?

-JRob

hefferdude
06-22-2002, 05:20 PM
We did ToT @MGM WDW:D!!! Yes, DCA Maliboomer,
Knotts SS, SFMM Freefall and in a way SFMM Superman
are all variations on the zero G freefall experience.
But ToT WDW has the Disney high quality experience
stamp from the git go. The hotel facade, to the lobby
( with the AAA 13 diamond award ;) ) the CM and actor
buildup. You had to be thinking "what have I gotten
into now?" I won't be a spoiler but the Rod
Serlingesque sequence as well as being able to
see the guests go "over the top" :eek: from outside
makes ToT in a class by all byitself.
The "disappearing guest" would be a very
cool :cool: addition. ( After my first ride, I bribed my boys
to let me wait just a tad before going again. Phew. ):)

Love them little heads.

As far as building X levels down to minimize having to
build up makes good engineering sense in CA. We watched
them dig for 'SOARIN". Same thing. In Florida, you
can't go 1 story down unless you've gone 1 story up
since the water table is only a few feet below you.
( ie Epcot and Magic Kingdom et al. )

ahecht
06-24-2002, 01:57 AM
In terms of capacity, it is possible to have almost the same ride length as the florida version and still get the same or higher capacity. Check out my post in this thread (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=109601#post109601) for a detailed explanation.