PDA

View Full Version : Seating at French Market?

yohomama212
03-30-2007, 07:11 PM
We're looking at our options for lunch/dinner for our trip for my Mom's birthday. The park is going to be frightfully busy (the 4th of July) and we really wanted to somewhere with prefered seating. However, in our research the French Market caught her attention. What is the seating like there? Do you walk up and fight for a table? Do they take your name and seat you ASAP? Any and all insight would be helpful!

Thanks
Liz :cool:

TinaMouse
03-30-2007, 08:18 PM
Whenever I've eaten there, it was fight for a table. They do clean off tables quickly, but it is not an ADR restaurant. On the positive side, I really like French Markey. Their French Dips are super yummy! The seating area is all outside, but covered by huge canopy pieces draped around. It is a nice spot! Good luck!

Foodie
03-30-2007, 08:41 PM
I've never had too bad a problem finding seating there. I went there in August, and ate dinner at about 6:30pm, and had no problems finding a seat. The line to get the food, however, was quite long and slow, but seating wasn't a problem. It's really nice to sit under that canopy, it's one of the few places to find shade and cool off a little in that hot sun. Good luck on the 4th...though I've heard that it's better to eat during the off hours, and it's usually less crowded then too.

-Foodie:)

yohomama212
03-30-2007, 09:02 PM
Yeah, we're thinking about having a big breakfast at my place in the AM, snacking through the morning, then having dinner around 4 (maybe earlier, maybe later), then snacking through the night if we want. There's going to be 12 of us in the group (at least), but we don't want to compromise for a nice dinner. Thanks for the info!

Stupid_American
03-31-2007, 04:48 AM
Never had a problem finding seating at French Market, but never tried on a holiday, with 12.

4pm is a good plan.
You'll also need a couple people working the seating while others order food.

lilfaeriebrat
03-31-2007, 05:52 AM
With a group that size I'd definately suggest that 4 or so of your group start hunting for tables while the remainder get the food. This past Monday when I was there we ate at the French Market and for two of us the table hunt wasn't as bad as I've seen it but I watched a large group search for tables together and it didn't happen. They ended up spliting up and eating a few tables away from each other.

hlbtimes2
03-31-2007, 08:42 AM
I went there in August, and ate dinner at about 6:30pm, and had no problems finding a seat. The line to get the food, however, was quite long and slow, but seating wasn't a problem.

That was our experience as well. The line for food took forever! Close to 45 minutes just to get our meals and pay.

SoCalSteven
03-31-2007, 08:52 AM
Why did the French Market catch her attention? The atmosphere? If so, check out Cafe Orleans, they do Priority Seating and the atmosphere is the same, if not better! (read, quieter)

yohomama212
03-31-2007, 11:53 PM
French dip. Mom's a sucker for a good dip! It's definately one of her faves. We did Cafe Orleans last weekend and found it to be too overpriced for what you get (including atmosphere). We're going to try the French Market tomorrow with a group of 7 and see how it goes. If it's too much hastle or just not right, then it's off to Carnation Cafe, her original choice before she realized that she had only enjoyed a small percentage of the dining options in the park.

pisces
04-01-2007, 11:20 AM
I've never had a problem at French Market and I've found seating on New Years Eve, no less. And believe you me, I always have nightmares of carrying around a tray full of drinks and food.....and then be left wandering with no place to sit.....as everybody stares forelornly at you...

.....and you drop the tray!

One of my biggest recurring nightmares.

I believe there are other tables around the back. I've seen people take their French Market trays and eat on the brick stoop.

But if you are that nervous, I would do Cafe Orleans.

cstephens
04-01-2007, 09:37 PM
French dip. Mom's a sucker for a good dip! It's definately one of her faves.

Seating at French Market can often be difficult, especially on busy days and during peak meal times. For Fourth of July and your group size, I think your off-hour meal time will definitely help, but I'll echo the recommendation that some people do table scouting while others get the food. I will also recommend the side seating. There is the seating area right outside the exit where you get your food, but there's also the seating area to your left as you would be entering to get in line to get your food. The seating is almost right outside the jewelry store.

As far as the French dip, note that it's not slices of meat like French dip normally is. They serve the French dip by using an ice cream scoop to scoop the meat onto the bread. I'm not big on French dip, but I know some who are, and while they say it tastes good, the presentation and texture are definitely very different.