PDA

View Full Version : The stone head is back at Quality Inn.

simnia
03-28-2007, 08:36 AM
Yesterday (3-27-07) I happened to walk past Quality Inn just as two workers were reinstalling the Indian stone head in front. I thought it had been stolen, but when I asked they said it was just being repaired. Here is a photo I took yesterday, followed by one I took last year before the head was removed. The head has been gone for most of this month, maybe much longer. For those who didn't know, Quality Inn is on Manchester Ave., just around the corner from Howard Johnson's, which is across from Disneyland, and this strange, Jungle Cruise-like stone head stands alongside the road in front of their parking lot.

http://www.simnia.com/dl/dl-periphery/manchester/070327_A_QIS_head_worker_032.jpg

http://www.simnia.com/dl/dl-periphery/manchester/A_QIS_Indian_stone_head_032.jpg

vegasmommytoDL
03-28-2007, 09:31 AM
The worker looks like he is posing for a calendar LOL

(OR, maybe it's just me, lol)

woody9six
03-28-2007, 09:44 AM
Not to split hairs...but that is not just any "Indian stone head", it is the bust of Siddhartha Gautama, Buddah. Just thought I'd clarify.

spectromen
03-28-2007, 10:46 AM
Very cool! Thanks for sharing simnia, you rarely see any unique feature arounf the resort motels survive or, much less, restored, so that's great news.

simnia
03-28-2007, 11:30 AM
it is the bust of Siddhartha Gautama, Buddah.

Good info, thanks! I'm obviously ignorant of Indian culture. Indian businessmen dominate the hotel industry in this area, especially on Beach Boulevard, so pieces of Indian culture like this shouldn't be that surprising, I guess.

As for the worker "posing", I actually caught him by surprise. He was probably thinking "Why is this crazy tourist interested in *me*?" He didn't want me to take photos of his work, though, when I asked.

seanutbutter
03-28-2007, 01:26 PM
The worker looks like he is posing for a calendar LOL

(OR, maybe it's just me, lol)

It's definitely not just you!