PDA

View Full Version : any tips for me?

LisaDreamer
06-11-2002, 08:37 AM
I am taking my family to Disneyland this weekend for the first time. We have only 3 days! Please share your best tips/experiences with me so I can make the most of it, as it may be a while before we can make the trip again. My kids are 7 and 10. :D Thank You so much!

stan4d_steph
06-11-2002, 08:52 AM
I'm sure there will be a lot of other people chiming in here, but one thing I would recommend is to discuss what each person would most like to do so that you don't miss anything (rides, attractions, fireworks etc.). That will help you plan your days. I would also highly recommend becoming familiar with FastPass and getting passes as early as possible for some of the more popular attractions. If you wait until later in the day, they can sometimes run out, especially for Splash Mountain at Disneyland and Soarin' over California and California Screamin' at DCA. You might also want to plan where eat ahead of time if there are particular restaurants that you would enjoy. That's how I plan when I travel, so that I can integrate my travel and eating, and also so I don't end up just grabbing something as I am about to faint from low blood sugar! I'm sure lani will chime in with "Drink lots of water and wear a hat." Be sure and have fun. If you see any large groups standing near restrooms, come over and say hi. It's probably some Padders. :) Anyone else?

Jason Reynolds
06-11-2002, 08:55 AM
Fast Pass! You can't go wrong with it. The first thing to do when you get in the park is to head to Splash, Pirates, and Haunted Mansion. You can get a fast pass to all of these at the same time. While you're over there you can also make reservations at the Blue Bayou in New Orleans Sq., I did this on Memorial Weekend and enjoyed all three rides in about an hour as opposed to 3 hours of standing in lines.

EandCDad
06-11-2002, 09:04 AM
I'll skip specific ride recommendations and focus on when to arrive in the park. Always arrive and have your tickets purchased at least a half an hour before the published opening time. Then enter the park and make your way to the end of Main Street where a rope barrier is set up. At the published opening time, they will drop the rope and you should proceed quickly to whatever area is of interest to you. Don't waste time shopping or looking around, you can do that later, get some fastpasses and start riding those rides.

If your 7 year old wants to ride Peter Pan or Dumbo, ride them immediately when the park opens, I mean, DO NOT WAIT. The lines just get longer and longer.

jason
06-11-2002, 09:09 AM
plan to eat late while waiting for fantasmic . see it the first day you ar there then see the fireworks the next day . if the kids are into autographs ( maybe to old ) do that on the weekday the sat/sun are a mob . have breakfast at the belle and lunch at carnation . buy two FRS radios so you can talk while sepperated (& you will be ) . book early for goofys kitchen at the dlh ,expensive , but worth it . and it is probably too late ...but.... your first trip you should stay at the disneyland hotel .

jason

HBTiggerFan
06-11-2002, 10:07 AM
Eat early or later than "normal" eating times.

Example: Breakfast at 10am, Lunch at 2 or 3pm, then dinner at 7 or 8pm depending how late your going to be in the park.
OR:
Breakfast at 7am, lunch at 10am and dinner at 4pm...then snacks...

By eating during the "off" times you can save time waiting for your food and the lines are a little shorter. Also if you don't want to see the parades its a great time to go on rides. Beware though, make sure your on a side of the park where you want to be, because when a parade starts, the only way to get to the other side of the park is the train.

Be polite to everyone, guests and CMs, and don't try for the commando mode, espically with kids. If you can, take a break in the middle of the day to relax at the hotel and swim or nap and come back to stay until closing.

Don't miss the fireworks or fantasmic.

Matterhorn Fan
06-11-2002, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by HB Tigger Fan
Eat early or later than "normal" eating times.

Example: Breakfast at 10am, Lunch at 2 or 3pm, then dinner at 7 or 8pmUnless you're planning to eat at DTD or one of the hotels (or unless you're happy with a cup of coffee and a churro for dinner), I wouldn't recommend this particular plan. Most eateries inside the parks close around 7PM.

mad4mky
06-11-2002, 10:40 AM
Shop early in the day. Souvenirs, t-shirts, etc.
If you wait until right before the park closes...it's PACKED! It's tough to see merchandise, and you'll have to wait in line. Even The World of Disney at DTD gets packed after the park closes...

I scan the stores early, then shop in the early afternoon so that I won't have to hassle buying right before we leave.

HBTiggerFan
06-11-2002, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by Matterhorn Fan
Unless you're planning to eat at DTD or one of the hotels (or unless you're happy with a cup of coffee and a churro for dinner), I wouldn't recommend this particular plan. Most eateries inside the parks close around 7PM.

Are they closing early still when the park is open until midnight??????????:mad:

Gemini Cricket
06-11-2002, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by LisaDreamer
I am taking my family to Disneyland this weekend for the first time. We have only 3 days! Please share your best tips/experiences with me so I can make the most of it, as it may be a while before we can make the trip again. My kids are 7 and 10. :D Thank You so much!
3 days is a perfect amount of time to spend at DLR.
Have fun. Be spontaneous. Run wild! Ride Pirates. LisaDreamer, be a 7 or 10 year old with them for three days. That way you'll have a wonderful time too!
:D

Matterhorn Fan
06-11-2002, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by HB Tigger Fan
Are they closing early still when the park is open until midnight??????????:mad: Good question. My advice is to ask at lunch how late the restaurants are open so that you can plan accordingly, just in case. I don't want anyone to go hungry.

With kids 7 & 10, give them each a disposable camera. They'll record their trip as they see it. I always think it's fun to see what kids'll take pictures of.

Gemini Cricket
06-11-2002, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Matterhorn Fan
With kids 7 & 10, give them each a disposable camera. They'll record their trip as they see it. I always think it's fun to see what kids'll take pictures of.
That's a cool idea.
My parents did this. They got me a cheapo camera and I took pictures at DL when I was 10. I look at them now and wonder... what the heck was I thinking when I took a picture of that trash can and Brer Bear's arm...

Lani
06-11-2002, 01:20 PM
Find out if the hotel you are staying at offers a free continental breakfast. If so, take advantage of that and don't bother eating breakfast in the park. If your hotel doesn't offer one, pick up some Pop-Tarts, pastries and such to eat in the morning as everybody gets ready.

Consider taking snacks like raisins, jerky, and fruit roll-ups to tie the appetite over to skip the busiest meal times. The park would rather you not bring in outside food, but as long as you aren't bringing in a picnic basket for a big lunch, you'll be fine.

Try to keep an eye on your kids not eating too much sugar. They'll get all hyper from the sugar and from the exciting of being in the park, and then they'll crash hard and get really grumpy later in the day.

If we can toot our own horn, make sure to read the articles in the following MousePlanet areas:

Trip Planner (http://www.mouseplanet.com/lani/): Lots of practical advice about traveling in the parks in general.

Parenting in the Park (http://www.mouseplanet.com/akrock/): AdrienneK's excellent column about advice for parents taking their kids to the park.

Ace
06-11-2002, 01:46 PM
F-R-O----Z-E-N----Bananas! ( to the tune of the mickey mouse song )

justagrrl
06-11-2002, 01:49 PM
If you want to ride Autopia, get a fast pass. The stand by line takes a LOT longer then it appears to.

On the SunWheel at DCA, the purple cars give a MUCH better swingy ride then the orange ones. If you don't want a swinging car, do not wait in the regular line. Go to the exit and you should see a sign that says Red Gondolas. There is usually only a handfull of people that use this line - if anyone at all. (everyone seems to want to wait for the red car along with the purple and orange ones which always have a longer wait.) Don't miss the sunwheel - it's a lot more fun then a regular ferris wheel.

Also, the view from the Avalon Cove bar at night is some great atmosphere...the kids can come too if you don't sit up at the bar...and you want a table on the water side anyway so you can see the lights reflecting on it and what not. Nice place to just hang out for awhile...and you can have a grown-up drink while you do. (if you like that sort of thing.)

Soarin' over California - you want row 1 if you want to be on top and not see legs and feet dangling over you.

The lockers at grizzly rapids should be taken advantage of...or the thing you don't want to get wet will get wet for sure. :D

Have a great time!

hefferdude
06-11-2002, 02:58 PM
The disposable cameras is a great idea!
Another is disposable income !:D

We took a family trip to WDW with our sons at 8 and 11.
We had saved all pocket change in a big water bottle.
They rolled it and turned it in at the bank for bills. They also
got to take x dolllars from their savings. They got to
split the coin loot. We then exchanged the $ for
Disney dollars at a local D store. Granma helped with
some D dollars at Xmas. It came to a pretty good
amount for each.

Point is, the D dollars were their own to spend as they
liked. It was easy on us and made it very "real" when
they wanted to buy a treat or souvenier. Turned out great.
;)

jslivinski
07-24-2002, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by justagrrl
On the SunWheel at DCA, the purple cars give a MUCH better swingy ride then the orange ones. If you don't want a swinging car, do not wait in the regular line. Go to the exit and you should see a sign that says Red Gondolas. There is usually only a handfull of people that use this line - if anyone at all. (everyone seems to want to wait for the red car along with the purple and orange ones which always have a longer wait.) Don't miss the sunwheel - it's a lot more fun then a regular ferris wheel.This is great information to have, I never new you could get to the red gondolas from the rear. Of course, I have no plans to ever go on this ride again. Unfortunately, I know one of my kids will eventually talk we into it again. Thankfully, neither wanted to on our last trip.

roberts1398
07-24-2002, 03:05 PM
2 things: first, check out Ridemax software. I haven't bought the subscription myself yet, mind you, so I'm not giving a specific recommendation. Just check it out and see what you think. http://www.funplans.com/ridemax/order.html

Second, check these threads (and Laughingplace.com and Intercotwest -- sorry to mention the competition, LOL) for all threads involving using Fast Pass and where to sit for Fantasmic. LOTS of good info that should help a bunch! I've learned TONS!

As a sidenote, try to work in rest periods, and remember to let the kids set the pace as much as possible. The difference between wonderful memories and a ruined vacation can be as simple as too much expectation of little people... it doesn't matter if you do everything. What matters is the family time, the joy, and the fond memories...

And be sure to come back here afterwards and share your happy memories with us!

Remember always the magic of Disney... :D

LisaDreamer
07-25-2002, 11:06 AM
Thanks, Thanks, Thanks!!!! Our trip was wonderful!!!:D I used everyone's tips!!! the pics from the disposable cameras were terrific!! We can't wait to go back, and have all decided it must be a yearly thing from now on! I'm glad we waited for the kids to be a little bigger, I think I was the most child like of all!! See you next year!!!