PDA

View Full Version : Golden Horseshoe and Billy Hill

mask41
03-26-2007, 11:43 AM
I definitely want to catch Billy Hill and the Hillbillies during our upcoming trip. They do a show at 5:15 and if we want to eat dinner while watching this show, what time should we get there? What type of restaurant service is this? Is the food recommended, or should we just see the show there?
Thanks for any thoughts!
-Amy

Malcon10t
03-26-2007, 11:58 AM
I definitely want to catch Billy Hill and the Hillbillies during our upcoming trip. They do a show at 5:15 and if we want to eat dinner while watching this show, what time should we get there? What type of restaurant service is this? Is the food recommended, or should we just see the show there?
Thanks for any thoughts!
-Amy
Get there about 30 mins early. It is counter service. You can find the menu at www.dlresortinfo.com -> Disneyland Menus -> Golden Horseshoe. Basically, they have chicken tenders, fish and chips, and chili bowls. You stand in line to order, then take your food back to your seat when they have it ready. Best place to sit is front row center!

River Belle
03-26-2007, 12:04 PM
Malcon10t pretty well covered it. In my opinion, the food is just ok, but there is an enormous slab of chocolate cake that is fantastic to share with a couple of cartons of milk. This is our favorite way to enjoy the show. And do go early to find a good seat, no matter what you end up ordering!

mommy-san
03-26-2007, 12:52 PM
Yesterday when I read the "what would you be doing at Disneyland right now?" thread, I immediately thought of watching Billy Hill. I think i may have a bit of a hillbilly crush on them. Nice guys, came out and took pictures with us and talked for quite some time.
As for food, Cheese sticks and then chocolate cake. And get there EARLY.

Yep, thats what I'd be doin'!

Nancy
03-26-2007, 01:24 PM
We saw them last week and they are quite funny. The show is worth seeing but the wait in line for the barely OK food is horrible! I suggest being there when they open the doors, have someone grab a good seat and someone else hustle to the bar to order the food. I still can't figure out why it took 30 minutes to sling out premade food, (some assumbly required though!) The left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing and they were triping over each other behind the counter. I just figured they were new to the job and were learning. That place is either packed because of the show or empty. Hard place to learn I'll bet.

Nancy
03-26-2007, 01:25 PM
They also have a cookie ice cream sundae that was good.

PanFan
03-26-2007, 03:50 PM
Mmmmmm.....mozerella sticks......

gloria
03-26-2007, 04:32 PM
can you bring in food bought somewhere else?

gloria

PanFan
03-26-2007, 04:37 PM
From elsewhere in the park.

Mr.Abominable
03-26-2007, 05:01 PM
I think the mozzarella sticks are pretty tasty. This guys are hilarious and they seem to do a few different songs each time that I see them.

WITron
03-26-2007, 09:12 PM
I had the opportunity to see them for the first time on my recent trip and loved the show. They played some great music and had some good comedy thrown in.

mousemom
03-26-2007, 09:43 PM
I usually go at least once during a trip. My kids quote their jokes now. I agree with all those that say to go early...at least 1/2 hour maybe more if the park is busy. The front row is definitely worth the experience ...we ended up in the back last time and that was not so fun. Besides, with the afternoon shows you can take advantage of the wait time to get a rest from your busy morning. I love the chicken tenders with the honey mustard sauce. Mmm!

Another Dimension
03-26-2007, 11:30 PM
The Golden Horseshoe Saloon 'Mile High Chocolate Cake' is miles away from just OK. :D

Malcon10t
03-27-2007, 06:36 AM
The Golden Horseshoe Saloon 'Mile High Chocolate Cake' is miles away from just OK. :D
I agree. And it easily feeds 4 people. We love the show. Try and see it at least once a day. The fun part, each day is different, and every show is slightly different. We've gone twice on the same day and it was 2 different shows. The next day was Billy Green and it was a completely different show. We like their CD too. My son, 18, is probably one of their biggest fans.

ralfrick
03-27-2007, 07:50 AM
The band is great, never thought I'd by a CD of a theme park band (ironically, it was recorded near Magic Mtn). I think many here are GROSSLY overrating the food, though. Arby's has better cheese sticks, and the cake was dry. We had a lot of leftover food.

A bientot.

Malcon10t
03-27-2007, 08:57 AM
The band is great, never thought I'd by a CD of a theme park band (ironically, it was recorded near Magic Mtn). I think many here are GROSSLY overrating the food, though. Arby's has better cheese sticks, and the cake was dry. We had a lot of leftover food.

A bientot.I haven't had the cheese sticks so can't compare. I did like the chicken tenders, and the kids like the chili bowls. The cake we had was very moist and very good. We rarely have left overs, but then I have an 18yo boy who will finish anything anyone leaves behind. I usually can't finish the chicken tenders, I think there are 5 and 3 are plenty for me, but I know my human vacuum will finish them.

cillydznygirl
03-27-2007, 09:18 AM
Do they still have the can-can girls during the show?

Another Dimension
03-27-2007, 09:39 AM
Do they still have the can-can girls during the show?

The Golden Horseshoe Revue (feat. Wally Boag) had it's final performance many years ago. The Can-can girls were retired when Wally Boag was.

Billy Hill & the Hillbillies are the only show running/act performing in the Golden Horseshoe presently, since the Variety Show (feat. Dana Daniels) was also retired a few years ago.

mommy-san
03-27-2007, 09:51 AM
I think many here are GROSSLY overrating the food, though. Arby's has better cheese sticks, and the cake was dry.

After a few days eating Pizza from ToonTown and burgers from Hungry Bear, the cheese sticks, chili fries and chicken tenders are a nice switch. And since there is no Arby's in D-land and GREAT food is not always easy to find, we'll settle for good enough. And the atmosphere helps.

wdwmartin
03-27-2007, 10:19 AM
For those of us that love Billy Hill and for those of you that just haven't fallen for them yet, I am linking to some binaural audio that I recorded back in February.

This is binaural audio, so listening with headphones will definitely make the experience much better.

Billy Hill & The Hillbillies 2-9-07 11:15am Show (http://www.wikiupload.com/download_page.php?id=111904)

Just click Download file and enter the confirmation thingy. (what is the name of those little anti-bot checks anyway?)

Hope you all enjoy.

WEAR HEADPHONES!

keschy
03-27-2007, 11:35 AM
This is our favorite show at the park and definitely worth seeing! We used to bring food in from other parts of the park so you could do that if the golden horseshoe menu doesn't appeal to you. Go early for the best seats up front!

Mitchwebb
03-27-2007, 03:47 PM
I'm not sure you still can (it's been a couple of years) but we use to get PBJ and sandwiches from next door at that little take out window and take them in. Depending on the line sometime the PBJ's were gone before we got in:fez:

funatdisney
03-27-2007, 07:52 PM
can you bring in food bought somewhere else?

gloria

You can. I have even brought in food from home. My mom friends and I go to DL on a Mom's day out. We bring in tuna in the pouch, (get the mayo from one of the fast food places in DL), crackers and fruit. We do buy our drinks and dessert at the Golden. We have never had a problem. We eat and enjoy one of DL's best shows. We usually have a big dinner at Goofy's kitchen, so we don't feel guilty about bringing in food. They get the money out of us anyway.