PDA

View Full Version : "Blazing Saddles" at Disneyland

AliKzam
06-10-2002, 06:56 PM
I almost forgot to write about this. My friends and I went to Disneyland, Wednesday. It was a good trip for the most part, but there was just one itty-bitty thing that struck me as funny.
We were walking out of Frontierland towards the hub. You know how there's background music everywhere? Well, I wasn't really paying attention to it, until this western song started playing and a man's voice started singing these familiar words:
"He wore a blazing saddle!..."
I stopped and looked at my friends. "Blazing Saddles?" I asked, confusedly.
My friends were confused, too. We all laughed and walked on.
But seriously, it's a western-themed song, but is it appropriate? I don't want to sound PC, but there's drug use in that movie, and the mayor's playing with a woman's boobies. And then there's that special word you have to tip-toe around.
I know many people haven't seen the movie, and the song itself has nothing bad in it. But do you think they were just playing it to see if anyone's paying attention? Has anyone else heard it?

Matterhorn Fan
06-10-2002, 07:02 PM
I'm glad someone else thought that was weird. The people I were with just said, "well, Blazing Saddles is a western." It seemed out of place to me, but I can't really say why.

blusilva
06-10-2002, 08:19 PM
Edited cuz I don't know enought about Blazing Saddles to comment. :D

The one that disconcerts me the most is the "Beef. It's What's For Dinner." song.

Techie7
06-10-2002, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by AliKzam
"Blazing Saddles?" I asked, confusedly.
My friends were confused, too. We all laughed and walked on.
But seriously, it's a western-themed song, but is it appropriate? I don't want to sound PC, but there's drug use in that movie

If Drug use was a reason to keep out music then any references to Alice in Wonderland would need to be cut too. In fact, the caterpillar is smoking in the Electric Parade. I think that if the music does not explicitly advocate drug use or womanizing then I don't think its a problem. Just an opinion. I will keep my ears open for it though on Friday when I visit the park again.

blusilva: The "Beef. It's What's For Dinner. song" is Rodeo by Aaron Copeland. The song has been around for a while now if I remember correctly.

Marty
06-10-2002, 09:40 PM
You know how there's background music everywhere? Well, I wasn't really paying attention to it, until this western song started playing and a man's voice started singing these familiar words:
"He wore a blazing saddle!..."
I stopped and looked at my friends. "Blazing Saddles?" I asked, confusedly.

My guess is that there are gearing up for a new Blazing Saddles dark ride. This is just Disney's way of slowly getting everyone used to the idea. Lots of possibilities for theming if you think about it, especially the campfire scene. ;)

Gemini Cricket
06-11-2002, 06:02 AM
But do you think they were just playing it to see if anyone's paying attention? Has anyone else heard it?
It seems like everything at Disneyland has to go through some sort of paper trail, committee approval or long-winded executive analysis before anything can happen there. I doubt this one was just slipped in. It's been playing for a while now. I believe the first time I heard it, because a friend and I were commenting on it and singing it loudly @ DL, was back in 1996.

It's a fun song. Oscar trivia: Nominated for Best Music, Song (Mel Brooks (lyrics) and John Morris (music)) for the song "Blazing Saddles" 1974.

I can't post it all here but, this site has all the lyrics:
http://www.filmsite.org/blaz.html

It's harmless.
:)

hbquikcomjamesl
06-11-2002, 07:24 AM
And indeed, the whole movie is about goodness and niceness triumphing over bigotry and greed.

Flynn
06-11-2002, 08:15 AM
I'm glad someone else caught it too. I couldn't stop laughing when I first heard it, and now, every time I do, I get a grin on my face. And really, isn't that what the place is all about? As for the lyrics themselves, I think that they fit in perfectly with all the humorous western movies and shows that Disney has put on over the years, although I'd always thought that Blazing Saddles was a Warner Brothers movie.

944Lifer
06-11-2002, 12:11 PM
I remember hearing this for the first time quite a few years ago, and I always smile when it comes on. IMO, Frontierland gives Main Street a pretty good run for it's money when it comes to background music. I can hum along to Dearie, Flitterin', and the Wells Fargo Wagon on Main Street, or I can be just as happy humming along to The Magnificent Seven theme, the Sons of the Pioneers songs, and even Blazing Saddles in Frontierland.

That is, of course, until they turn it off for that stupid Fantasmic show.

KIDDING! I didn't mean it, seriously! Please, no flaming! (running away to hide from the onslaught that even jokingly saying that about Fantasmic can bring)

Allysen1Derland
06-11-2002, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by Marty

My guess is that there are gearing up for a new Blazing Saddles dark ride. This is just Disney's way of slowly getting everyone used to the idea. Lots of possibilities for theming if you think about it, especially the campfire scene. ;)

Hahahaha!! So many possibilities! I would like to suggest a re-inactment of the Madeline Kahn stage show "I'm Tired" scene to be performed at the Golden Horshoe Revue. Just a suggestion!;)

Hades
06-11-2002, 04:32 PM
Hahahaha!! So many possibilities! I would like to suggest a re-inactment of the Madeline Kahn stage show "I'm Tired" scene to be performed at the Golden Horshoe Revue. Just a suggestion!

OMG! I loved that scene in BS! I'd go to see that one!:D

merlinjones
06-12-2002, 08:57 AM
All I can hope is that this means Lili Von Schtupp will be performing at the Golden Horseshoe sometime soon!

"I'm tired... tired of DCA... aint it a fwickin' shame... I'm so tired."

"Hey, handsome... Is that a bulletproof vest or are you just an annual passholder?"

coronamouseman
06-12-2002, 11:45 AM
I think I heard any number of different Western Movie soiundtracks over the years in Frontierland, ranging from the "Magnificent Seven" to "How the West was Won" to "Rodeo" to many others ............

The other places where "mood music" plays a big part is in Epcot's FutureWorld and DCA's Condor Flats - they play a lot of movie from Space and Aviation movies like "Rocketeer", "The Right Stuff", "Apollo 13" and "633 Squadron" (horrible WWII movie about some Brits on a suicide mission to blow up a Nazi "heavy water" factory but which had a tremendous and rousing musical score).

IndianaJenn
06-12-2002, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by merlinjones
All I can hope is that this means Lili Von Schtupp will be performing at the Golden Horseshoe sometime soon!

"Hey, handsome... Is that a bulletproof vest or are you just an annual passholder?"

That's hilarious!!

I have another line.

"Let's face it - everything below Disneyland is kaput!"

merlinjones
06-12-2002, 03:45 PM
>> All I can hope is that this means Lili Von Schtupp will be performing at the Golden Horseshoe sometime soon!

>>That's hilarious!!
I have another line.
"Let's face it - everything below Disneyland is kaput!"<<

Excellent!.... another:

"I've seen Team Disney men - - again and again. They all sing the same tune. Wasting potential, they take their sharp pencils and bust your balloons!....

I'm - - so tired. Sick and tired of greed. Milk my wallet until I bleed. I'm so...

(aside) With these guys... everything above the waist is kaput.

...(chorus) Tired!"

Hades
06-12-2002, 04:06 PM
:D This post is getting better and better all the time! Keep it up everyone! I would add a line, but I don't remember all the lines in the original BS song to make any up. But between merlinjones and IndianaJenn, we will have a MP Classic! :D

merlinjones
06-12-2002, 04:12 PM
"Tell, me... are you in show business?"

"No, brand marketing, maam."

"Marketing maam? Then why don't you get your fwickin' feet off of Walt's stage?"

Allysen1Derland
06-12-2002, 04:18 PM
I do like the dark ride idea! Nothing would make my face light up more then an audioanimatronic Cleavon Little that continuously says "Excuse me while I whip this out" to passerby! Will we be riding on handcarts? ;)
yikes! I hope that wasn't too "blue"! Heehee!

IndianaJenn
06-12-2002, 05:49 PM
Is it twue what they say about you Disneyland CMs?

Oh, it's twue! It's twue!

Sailor Butterfly
06-13-2002, 03:48 AM
lol When I was at DL in May, we were walking through and I had caught the begining of the music. I stopped and thought, "Naaah. It couldn't be." Then when I heard the vocal start up I couldn't help but start laughing. Everytime we had to walk through that area, sure enough it was playing. :D

SzczerbiakManiac
06-13-2002, 06:20 AM
Originally posted by IndianaJenn:
Is it twue what they say about you Disneyland CMs?

Oh, it's twue! It's twue!No, that's my elbow....
:eek: