PDA

View Full Version : my 2 webpages about Disneyland's periphery

simnia
03-23-2007, 11:07 AM
In case anybody's interested, I have two related webpages, both about the areas surrounding Disneyland (nothing about inside the park itself), that I finally got into presentable format in the last couple days. The first is basically a photo tour of a walk around the outskirts of the park (may be boring to some), the second is a useful and compact listing of businesses and landmarks on all 4 streets surrounding Disneyland. Enjoy.

http://www.simnia.com/dl/dl-periphery/dl-periphery.htm
http://www.simnia.com/dl/dl-periphery/dl-periphery_addresses.htm

P.S.: I'll probably keep expanding and modifying these pages continually, since this is an ongoing hobby.

Andrew
03-23-2007, 11:20 AM
The photo page is terrific. Thanks for the link!

Casa Resort / Hotel Menage used to be the Holiday Inn at the Park. My wife and I stayed there in December of last year and were sorely (literally) disappointed. The soreness came from the rock-hard mattresses and the disappointment came from the fact that the hotel was open for business and charging full price during an extensive renovation.

disneyshoes
03-23-2007, 11:53 AM
That was great- Thanks!

GrouchoMarx
03-23-2007, 11:59 AM
It's a great project, simnia.
It's interesting to see some of what used to be around the park. I never paid any attention to it except for the old Global Van Lines building. Going to DL from the SFV in the mid-to-late 1960s, it was the old Global Van Lines building that was The final landmark for me when I was a kid riding in the back of the family station wagon. I knew when I saw it, we were there.
Looking forward to seeing any further updates from you. Thanks.

simnia
03-23-2007, 12:31 PM
Thanks for the compliments and info, everybody. I have some photos of the same area and hotels from the 1970s, so I'll probably eventually post links to those, too.

Hotel Menage has stacks of mattresses outside now, hopefully the rock-hard ones that are being replaced. Workers are seen there even now, every day, busily sawing, spraying, gardening, and moving stuff, so major renovation is in progress. I couldn't tell if the k'ya restaurant was even open, since there aren't a lot of tourists there now, and the restaurant looked empty.

pisces
03-24-2007, 08:48 AM
Actually, this is great because since I'm too busy driving, I never have a chance to take a look at the surrounding environs.

"There's not much of interest to say about this Taco Bell,"

That's not true. There's always something to say, namely Taco Bell changed their architecture in the mid-80s. Anyone remember the old style Taco Bell?, when it was designed as a more light brown/beige adobe mission with archways, and an actual bell !!!

Also the area around State College Blvd. Do you have pictures of that? Namely, the old Charlie Browns. I understand they tore it down and made some kind of mixed-use development. Stupid. I think the creek is still there.

Is the old Mr. Stox still there? They used to have a big sign that lit up at night.

Also the big hill going up over the freeways at State College, is that Anaheim ?....might be the city of Orange, not sure. And, of course, the big 'A' at Angel Stadium. Does that still light up at night?

Everything on the 5 freeway is of interest because many of those bridges and freeway plants are new, as the 5 was under construction for much of the 1990s.

pisces
03-24-2007, 10:17 AM
Look at the little Rice Krispies sign inside the Jolly Roger....

Also, nearby, across from the Alpine Inn are some rare Willow trees.

The weeping Willow trees are my favorite. I would have liked those be planted along Katella instead of date palms.

Although, Date Palms are more prominent and regal, I guess. Perhaps they frame the street better.

I just love the serenity of Weeping Willows, though. Most country clubs usually feature Weeping Willows--very gracious and tranquil.

The thick-green pine trees are nice. Both Pine and Fir trees are very evocative of a Christmas tree, in shape and texture.

Vegitabeta
03-24-2007, 11:09 AM
Great photos simnia! Lots of things there I haven't seen before.

raediance
03-24-2007, 11:51 AM
Great photos simnia! Lots of things there I haven't seen before.
me too!

darph nader
03-25-2007, 01:35 AM
Too Kool simnia. The only drawback,(mine not yours), is that someone asked about camping around D/L,and I suggested Travelers World. I didn'y know at time that it had shut down.:crying: But I 'did' warn them that the info was 15-16 years old.:| I'll be looking forward to your next update.:cool:

cheshirecatgirl
03-25-2007, 03:35 PM
Very cool. I would like someone to do that with the areas around WDW too, although I know that would be a lot harder!

simnia
03-26-2007, 09:59 AM
someone asked about camping around D/L,

Anaheim Harbor RV Park is very close to where Travelers World was, just a half block up Harbor Blvd. from Ball Rd. It's much smaller, though. About a month ago they had some excitement when one of the RVs caught on fire and burned everything near it. I got photos of the smoke cloud and cop cars blocking off the area, and of the burned out shell afterwards, but not the actual flames. Frontier Motel is undergoing refurbishment on that side right now because their building got badly singed from the fire. The palm trees got scorched, too, but it looks like they're still alive. Must've been a propane tank that ignited.

Thanks for the compliments, and thanks everybody for the additional info and compliments. I'm going to have some more plants to photograph now. Anybody want pictures of the cheerleaders outside the Anaheim Convention Center? ;-)

simnia
03-26-2007, 10:08 AM
Actually, this is great because since I'm too busy driving, I never have a chance to take a look at the surrounding environs.

Yes, I figure a lot of people fall into the same category, anxious to see the attractions and no time to go for lengthy walks of the area.

Anyone remember the old style Taco Bell?, when it was designed as a more light brown/beige adobe mission with archways, and an actual bell !!!

Those former Taco Bell buildings are still around, but are being used by other restaurants. I haven't seen one of those bells in ages, though.

Also the area around State College Blvd. Do you have pictures of that?
Is the old Mr. Stox still there? They used to have a big sign that lit up at night.

Mr. Stox is still in business. I'll get pics of their sign for you, but it's not quite Disneyland periphery enough for that set of webpages. As for the other topics, I don't know and don't have pictures, sorry.

simnia
04-15-2007, 09:21 AM
Look at the little Rice Krispies sign inside the Jolly Roger....

I took a picture of that sign just for you. There's also a similar retro Coca-Cola sign on the entrance wall. I would have preferred that they used that space to enhance the pirate/nautical theme, though, instead of a quick, inexpensive attempt to be retro.

Also, nearby, across from the Alpine Inn are some rare Willow trees.

Where? I walked by there yesterday looking for them and didn't see them. Are they on the Anaheim Convention Center property, maybe in the parking lot? Or maybe on Jolly Roger property?

pisces
04-15-2007, 02:50 PM
Maybe they were chopped down? I don't know. Maybe they weren't willow to begin with. I'm not an expert on trees. I just like the kinds of trees with branches that droop down in long gauzy threads. I've seen some trees like that that are quite tall, but I can't remember where, or if they are officially called willow.

simnia
04-15-2007, 03:45 PM
I just like the kinds of trees with branches that droop down in long gauzy threads. I've seen some trees like that that are quite tall, but I can't remember where, or if they are officially called willow.

Maybe eucalyptus? There are tall eucalyptus along the Jolly Roger on Hotel Way with drooping branches.