PDA

View Full Version : When a guest ruins your ride...

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

Tinkermommy
03-19-2007, 05:13 PM
At Disneyland Saturday our group, which included three children, had two encounters with guests who ruined our experience on rides. Does anybody know if Disneyland has a policy to handle guests who have waited in line, only to have a miserable experience because of other guests?

The first one happened on Autopia. We were in line behind a party that included two good-sized pre-teen boys. The whole time we were in line, the boys were roughhousing -- pushing and shoving each other, holding up the line or not moving and then shoving past all the people who passed them while they hung over the fence. The adults in their party completely ignored them. We had to stay back from them, and keep our kids behind us to keep them from getting knocked around. It was annoying, but nothing we couldn't handle.

When we finally got on, we ended up behind them. Throughout the ride, they kept stopping their cars and yelling to each other. My friend, who was right behind them, kept telling them to go. CMs kept telling them to go, but they'd pass the CM and stop again. We ended up in a line behind them, and my car actually had its engine stop twice. A CM told me it's because I wasn't keeping the accelerator down to the floor -- but I couldn't, because we had to keep waiting for those boys to get going.

It was like being in bumper-to-bumper traffic, and it stunk. The kids were so sad, because it was such a slow, miserable ride.

The second one happened on Indiana Jones just before we left the park. We waited almost an hour to ride, and ended up in a jeep with a teenaged girl and her father. That girl screamed -- and I do mean SCREAMED -- through the entire ride -- even the parts that weren't fast or scary. She clearly was screaming for her own entertainment. She screamed so loudly that I couldn't even hear Indy. My friend asked her to stop, but she wouldn't. Everybody in the car kept turning around to glare at her, but to no avail. Toward the end, people were actually yelling at her to shut up, but she wouldn't. (I suspect if the ride had been longer, somebody woulda pushed her out.) When it was over, her dad had the gall to ask, "How was it for all of you up front?"

Has anybody ever asked for a re-ride under similar circumstances? Would that be unreasonable?

MinnieMomma
03-19-2007, 06:05 PM
Just a note on the screaming girl. When my son was in 8th grade he spent the day at DL with his school band and he thought it would be "funny" to scream on all the rides that day. Winnie the Pooh, Jungle Cruise, Space Mountain, anything, he did a high pitched scream. The next day he ended up in a Pediatric Intensive Care Unit for 4 days with a type of collapsed lung. The best guess by the doctors was that he screamed so loud and so long, and combined with the jerking on the faster rides, managed to put a hole in his trachea. Luckily, it closed by itself and he's fine. Its been 2 years and he refuses to go on a roller coaster. And I bet he irritated a TON of people that day with that horrible screaming. I apologize 2 years later to everyone who ended up on rides with him that day and assure you, he paid for it.

mulansgirl
03-19-2007, 06:11 PM
I had a screaming group in Tower of Terror. It had to be six or eight girls all up front. As soon as the doors shut before we started moving they started screaming, and continued throughout the whole ride. More than one person asked them to stop and one told them to shut up they responded with a snooty "you". It was horrable, no one on that ride was happy except them. the best part was the picture, I had a classic digusted look on my face looking right at them, I couldent help it.

disneyroxxx
03-19-2007, 06:16 PM
I had a screaming group in Tower of Terror. It had to be six or eight girls all up front. As soon as the doors shut before we started moving they started screaming, and continued throughout the whole ride. More than one person asked them to stop and one told them to shut up they responded with a snooty "you". It was horrable, no one on that ride was happy except them. the best part was the picture, I had a classic digusted look on my face looking right at them, I couldent help it.

haha, I could totally picture that!

Doodle Duck
03-19-2007, 06:37 PM
Bring a water pistol. :-) (gargle gurgle)

tod
03-19-2007, 06:40 PM

I would have made a gesture that would show my displeasure.

I do not know what motivates these people. They shriek when the lights go out on te Haunted Mansion, they yell their way through Space Mountain, and they always do it when they are sitting right behind me.

--t

Bytebear
03-19-2007, 06:43 PM
I have a friend who has to be the center of attention. He often says things "clever", but not really. And it ruins the experience for those who haven't been on the ride. One example is on Soarin' he yells "incoming" way too early and way too obviously, so no one is surprised by what happens. For those who know the ride, you can imagine when he yelled. It is so frustrating, and I sometimes have to pretend I don't know him. So, I feel your pain, as it is my pain too.

Katlovett
03-19-2007, 06:43 PM
Years ago when my husband was at UC Berkeley, his concrete canoe team (an Engineer thing) went to the National Championships in New Orleans. One of his female teammates liked to randomly scream from time to time to "release tension." She gave a big long scream in New Orleans, and quickly found herself surrounded by local security and police officers who wanted to know what the emergency was. They explained to her in a no-nonsense way that screaming is how you summon help in emergencies, and please don't scream if you don't need help.

I would have no problem cornering the teenage girl screaming on Indiana Jones and telling her that I was calling 911 to come help her, and so could she please let me know what the problem was that was making her scream - was it her appendix that ruptured, being aggravated by the tight belt? Or maybe a heart attack? Did she hit her head on the ride, or maybe she stuck her arm out and injured herself? Perhaps I would tell my husband that he should go get Disneyland security so they could bring medical staff while I waited with the girl who needed the medical care. I would insist that surely no one could be so mean and selfish as to scream during the whole ride just to ruin everyone else's experience. I expect I could keep this up for as much as 10 minutes before the girl and her father could get away from me, particularly if my family and I stood so that she was trapped against the wall. Maybe the prospects of additional confrontation by strangers (because she apparently does not care about possibly getting thrown out of the park) might encourage the girl to rebel against her father in a quieter way.

As for misbehaving children, I really don't know how to deal with that. A re-ride might have been no better. The risk of Autopia is that the people in front of you won't operate their car properly, and I have had small children in front of me do that as well, probably 50% of the time. I don't see a big difference between road rage children too busy to drive well and small children who are unable to drive well, when it comes to the effect on my personal ride experience of having to constantly stop behind them (or have them constantly run into me which IMHO is worse.) As an adult, I don't even ride that ride anymore.

I personally would not have minded you asking the CM if all of you (except the screaming girl) could please re-ride. Alternatively, perhaps all of you could collectively ask the CM to summon security and have the screaming girl ejected from the park or at least spoken to sternly by a person in authority.

Katprint

mask41
03-19-2007, 06:54 PM
Oh how I wish someone would have done that to the screaming girl on Indy - and how I would have loved to have seen it!!!:~D

cstephens
03-19-2007, 06:58 PM
Has anybody ever asked for a re-ride under similar circumstances? Would that be unreasonable?

I don't think it would be a problem for you to *ask* for a re-ride and explain the circumstances, but I wouldn't get angry with the CMs if they declined your request. There's not a lot that Disney can do about rude guests.

Alternatively, perhaps all of you could collectively ask the CM to summon security and have the screaming girl ejected from the park or at least spoken to sternly by a person in authority.

While the constant screaming is certainly annoying, I'm not sure what security could really say to her nor is it grounds for being ejected from the park since she's not breaking any rules/laws that I can see.

If you can tell ahead of time that the people right around you are going to be a problem on the ride, I'd try to have a word with the CM to see if you can be on a different vehicle. We were on Pirates on two occasions, and the people behind us were very disruptive both times, once because the people tried to cut in front of us, and I didn't let them, which really ticked them off, and the second time, they were teenage boys who were swearing severely the entire time in line. Both times, I was able to quietly talk to a CM and explain the situation to them. In the first case, we were put on a boat first, and the other party was held back to another boat. In the second instance, the swearing boys were put in a boat by themselves.

You don't always know ahead of time, though, and you can't always talk to a CM without the other people noticing, so that won't work all the time.

julw
03-19-2007, 07:22 PM

We had pretty much the same thing happen just last week on TOT. To top it off it was the mother of 3 teen girls that was SCREAMING!!! She was SO loud and scared my 5 yr old daughter who was riding for the first time. She also said the F bomb about three times- screamed it actually. Once she said it before the CM left the elevator and she harshly told her to watch her language because there were young riders in the elevator. I was so disgusted with this woman. The girls she was with screamed too during the ride, heck so did I for that matter but this was beyond screaming. I tried to tell my dd to ignore her, but none of us could. Our ears hurt so bad when we finally got off. I wanted to complain, but what could be done really. She knew how I felt by the look I gave her when she was using her language.:mad:

pisces
03-19-2007, 07:35 PM
You should see some of the strange things people do on the bumper cars at Knotts.

mulansgirl
03-19-2007, 07:45 PM
There is only one "roller coaster" I scream on and that is BTM when I see the goat my party screams goat all at the same time. Other than that one I almost find roller coasters to have a zen feeling for me. I close my eyes and just feel the wind and my heart. I love how the heart feels like you left it two seats back. they are actually very relaxing for me, even ToT. I understand the screaming even enjoy it a little, but when there is nothing to scream about I do not.

What do you do at the movies when someone talks on the phone or just talks during the movie? I see it as the same thing except at disneyland you are strapped down till the end of the ride. Do you tell the usher/CM, or give it up as a lost cause? I normaly just try to forget about it.

Bytebear
03-19-2007, 08:12 PM
The movie comment made me remember an experience I had. We were watching AI: Artificial Intellegence. Toward the end of the very long movie, there is a very slow and quiet scene where you see time pass and an ice age take over the world. Very slow, very boring, and very quiet. Well, we were sitting in the back row next to the door to the projection room. The projectionist and others were talking very loudly and you could hear their muffled conversation throughout the theater. We were all upset, and people several rows below us were turning their heads in disgust. Finally, I banged on the door loudly and yelled "We're trying to watch a movie out here!" Not a peep from them after that, but I think I startled a few moviegoers. Oh, we got free movie passes too.

Goosegirl
03-19-2007, 08:58 PM
While I certainly do not appreciate when people scream the whole time, I do understand when they scream a normal amount on a fast or bumpy ride. I am one who screams on those types of rides. I also have been known to scream at a movie when I am startled. I am definitely not doing it to be rude. It is just that I startle easily. And isn't it pretty normal to scream on a roller coaster? I could not imagine going on a roller coaster and being silent. And sometimes I giggle the whole time. I enjoy the experience of the ride and definitely do not try to hinder anyone else's enjoyment. But I am getting the feeling that somehow it is not okay to scream during a roller coaster. I guess I am confused.

MrTomMorrow
03-19-2007, 10:22 PM
You should direct your complaint to City Hall...

Yeah, excessive screamers are infinitely obnoxious... It's like, doesn't your throat hurt after a while? it's one thing to be surprised and scream at certain moments, but continuous screaming through an entire attraction (such as space mountain, from first lift all the way through re-entry) is, well, excessive.

Tinkermommy
03-20-2007, 05:36 AM
And isn't it pretty normal to scream on a roller coaster? I could not imagine going on a roller coaster and being silent.

I don't think anybody is saying it's not okay to scream on a roller coaster. What we're talking about is people who scream for no apparent reason, long and loud. In this case, she started while we were still going through the "see the future" room -- hardly a roller coaster experience -- and kept it up throughout the entire ride, no matter what the car was doing.

wishIwasthe_Mouse
03-20-2007, 07:27 AM
just wait till you get off and kick them in the shins :P or walk behind them and trip them a little. hehehe not that i am saying you should realy do this but im sure it would have a great effect. or realy throw them off and thank them kindly when you exit the ride, it will compleatly blow there mind.

being that i am a tall broad shouldered guy and haveing a shaved head i am sure helps but intimedation always works too..

but i like confusing them by being realy nice to them.

Park Freak
03-20-2007, 08:19 AM
If you can tell ahead of time that the people right around you are going to be a problem on the ride, I'd try to have a word with the CM to see if you can be on a different vehicle. We were on Pirates on two occasions, and the people behind us were very disruptive both times, once because the people tried to cut in front of us, and I didn't let them, which really ticked them off, and the second time, they were teenage boys who were swearing severely the entire time in line. Both times, I was able to quietly talk to a CM and explain the situation to them. In the first case, we were put on a boat first, and the other party was held back to another boat. In the second instance, the swearing boys were put in a boat by themselves.
I think this is a great idea, but I wouldn't try to say it quietly. I would say it so that "they" and the people in close proximity around could hear it. Then maybe,(even if they don't show it right then) they would be embarrased, and have second thoughts about doing it again.
When I see a child or teenager littering in The Park :mad: , I say "Oh, you dropped your (whatever) , there's a trash can right there (pointing)." I think it's a good way to teach, and/or embarrass them without seeming to, and then also maybe they would think twice about it the next time.

danyoung
03-20-2007, 08:30 AM
just wait till you get off and kick them in the shins :P or walk behind them and trip them a little.

Or, during the long walk out of Indy, walk closely behind her and SCREAM as loud as you can non-stop!

Park Freak
03-20-2007, 08:46 AM
Or, during the long walk out of Indy, walk closely behind her and SCREAM as loud as you can non-stop!

I like that one too!!:~D

DangerMouse
03-20-2007, 08:53 AM
We were stuck in line for Soarin (using FP mind you) for almost 45 minutes because they were having technical difficulties. When we finally boarded and took flight, some jerk took flash pictures of every single scene of the flight. People kept shouting at him to stop, but he didn't. I would have complained, but to what end? The control CM was on the floor the whole time and didn't even say a thing. :confused:

cookie7762
03-20-2007, 09:21 AM
I have had priates riuned for me one too many times. First we had a family talk through the ride, which drives me crazy because to me when you ride priates its like you enter a diferent world and suspend reality for a brief periof of time. It all starts with the banjo and fireflies, but its hard to get lost in the feeling of the ride when you have peolpe behind you going "hey old man, haha, you've been there a long time.. haha", etc. Another time the family behind us insisted on taking flash photographs throughout the ride even tho we aked them to stop multiple times. This is even worse thatn talknig to me because, as I'm sure most of you know, a flash on pirates makes it so that you can see all of the props, roof seams, and suspensions necessary to make the scenes what they are and it totally ruins the sense of reality you get from all of the "attention to detail".

Mark Mywords
03-20-2007, 09:23 AM
Worst ever experience was on POTC this past December.

We had 3 teenagers who were obviously on something in front of us in row 1. One of them kept nodding out during the bayou and, of course, invevitably started throwing up profusely (into the water, thank god) later during the ride.

Horrible, horrible. Tried to make the best of it by having a discussion with our two sons ("See how sick that person is... that's what drugs do to you"). The teenagers hightailed it out at unload, into the night dragging their friend along with them.

tod
03-20-2007, 09:45 AM
We were stuck in line for Soarin (using FP mind you) for almost 45 minutes because they were having technical difficulties. When we finally boarded and took flight, some jerk took flash pictures of every single scene of the flight. People kept shouting at him to stop, but he didn't. I would have complained, but to what end? The control CM was on the floor the whole time and didn't even say a thing. :confused:

I would take some solace in knowing that the jerk was getting pictures of a blank screen.

Every so often I will see one of these idiots trying to "capture" shots from movies in this manner. Nobody ever tells them, either...:~D

I've done this before, usually with a smile to the loader, saying "There are four of us -- and can we sit far away from them?" while discreetly indicating the howling teenagers, the yelling toddlers, the ten rambunctious eight-year-olds with an overmatched mother saying "Jason, Brittney, stoppit right now!!" or whichever people I don't want to spend the next 20 minutes with on a tiny boat.

The discretion helps make a bond with the loader -- sort of a shared "We both know what kind of morons we have to deal with here" -- and this way it looks like the loader just made another arbitrary decision of who-goes-where rather than favoring one guest over another.

--t