PDA

View Full Version : Where to book Disneyland/GCH trip?

neverlander
03-19-2007, 07:41 AM
I would appreciate feedback regarding which company to book our stay through. Last year we booked through Costco because it included the free character breakfast and $20 gift card. We figured we were coming out about $100 ahead than if we had gone through Disney. (Seems to be the same travel company anyway!) The last few times I've checked on-line for Costco bookings, it stated that my stay must be less than five nights! Is this accurate? Also, we have friends who always book through AAA because they receive unlimited fast passes. Is that feature still offered, and are there any drawbacks from booking with them?
Thank you in advance for any advice you can give.

yellowrosedtxn
03-19-2007, 08:00 AM
Because of the Dream Squad giving out Unlimited Fast Passes, no one has the enhanced Fast passes right now. That is a bummer, but for now that is the way it is.

I have used AAA and I have a really good lady that I work with. For Christmas this year I am going with Small World Vacations for the first time. I hope they work out though.

Malcon10t
03-19-2007, 08:01 AM
I would appreciate feedback regarding which company to book our stay through. Last year we booked through Costco because it included the free character breakfast and $20 gift card. We figured we were coming out about $100 ahead than if we had gone through Disney. (Seems to be the same travel company anyway!) The last few times I've checked on-line for Costco bookings, it stated that my stay must be less than five nights! Is this accurate? Also, we have friends who always book through AAA because they receive unlimited fast passes. Is that feature still offered, and are there any drawbacks from booking with them?
Thank you in advance for any advice you can give.The "Enhanced" (not unlimited as there are limits) is no longer. I usually book my tix thru WDTC, and then search for the best deal on the hotel rooms. I usually do better than the deals. One place to check out is getawaytoday.com. They offer great deals.

neverlander
03-19-2007, 09:27 AM
Thank you for the replies. I'll check out those travel companies. I have one more question. Is it just as easy to request and receive hotel requests when you book with a company that's not affiliated with Disney? Last year when I called to request a specific room location and layout, they had all my information right there.
Thanks again!

yellowrosedtxn
03-19-2007, 09:50 AM
I know that when I made my reservations through AAA and I got the confirmation number I called the hotel number myself, and asked for specific things. They never guarantee anything though. And it is kind of the same way with Small World Travel. But when you fill out the form for Small World Travel, they ask you specificially what you are looking for or the rooms and things like that.

Others have reported that they didn't get a confirmation number from their Travel Agent, therefore they couldn't confirm or call the hotel with any requests, they had to go through their TA. So, ask your TA first how they operate.

disneychick
03-19-2007, 12:16 PM
We booked our trip last November through Costco Travel, and had zero problems - we booked into the GCH for 8 nights, so I don't know if the 5 night thing is true now or not.

We were actually even upgraded to a theme park view (without asking), so I definitely don't think the fact that we booked through Costco put us at a disadvantage in any way. The free character breakfast and gift card were a nice plus - and the coupon book was handy, too.

We're actually planning to book our next trip through Costco again, simply because it was so easy and hassle-free.

neverlander
03-19-2007, 03:35 PM
We booked our trip last November through Costco Travel, and had zero problems - we booked into the GCH for 8 nights, so I don't know if the 5 night thing is true now or not.

We were actually even upgraded to a theme park view (without asking), so I definitely don't think the fact that we booked through Costco put us at a disadvantage in any way. The free character breakfast and gift card were a nice plus - and the coupon book was handy, too.

We're actually planning to book our next trip through Costco again, simply because it was so easy and hassle-free.

We also booked through Costco last year and had no problems. I believe their web site just redirected us to Disney Travel, but with the Costco perks. We were able to book our six nights at the GCH on-line last year, but this year I'm getting the "less than five nights" message. I'll definitely call Costco travel if we choose to go through them again. (I just like doing it on-line so I can see and refer to my itinerary in print.)

Thanks again for the tips!

neverlander
04-25-2007, 08:24 AM
We were able to book our six nights at the GCH on-line last year, but this year I'm getting the "less than five nights" message.
I just called Costco to inquire about scheduling our stay at the GCH. The representative did confirm that there is now a four night MAXIMUM stay for resort hotel packages scheduled through Costco. She said that I could schedule a longer visit at one of the "Good Neighbor" hotels, but resort hotels are now limited to four nights.
I think this is strange, especially since guests are not receiving special rates through Costco, just the gift card and character breakfast. (And you just get that once, not every day or anything...) Plus, Costco Travel is obviously just an affiliate of Disney.
We just booked through Disney Travel instead. Too bad we didn't get the breakfast and gift card, but oh well.
I just thought I'd pass on these recent changes.

UsBurchs
04-25-2007, 08:57 AM
As a former employee of Costco Travel, I have to say, I'd go with them! ;) Just so you know, Costco is it's OWN company . . . has no affiliation with Disney other than they sell their packages. It took FOREVER for Disney to allow Costco to sell these packages. We sold Disney Cruises (and Cruise/Land packages) but that was all for a very long time. Disney has VERY high standards, as does Costco. The partnership was a long time coming.

The way Costco discounts anything is that they partner up with large companies to give them good deals anyway (like Princess always gave us great deals to start) and then Costco gives back A LOT of it's commission to the members - that's really where your discount comes in.

If it doesn't sound like there is much of an actual discount, but instead some special perks, that might be because Costco isn't getting much of a commission from Disney to give back, but has made a deal with Disney to give out these other things, such as pins and character breakfasts. This is my guess anyway.

It is a kind of pain that you can't just book anything with Costco - has to be a certain number of days, but they try to get the best they can for their members. It was a WONDERFUL company to work for, but I left to have my baby and I'm happier working for him now. ;) (I still proudly display my Disney College of Knowledge ears at my desk at home - a mortor board with ears Disney gave me when I passed their travel test - the most fun test I've ever taken!!!)

Ok, that's my two-cents. Good luck!

hlbtimes2
04-25-2007, 09:20 AM
I wonder what would happen if you booked two reservations, back to back, with costco. Maybe two, for 3 days each.

bloodnswash
04-25-2007, 09:41 AM
I wonder what would happen if you booked two reservations, back to back, with costco. Maybe two, for 3 days each.

Pretty sad (and pathetic) that you have to play that game, though.

sierranevada
04-25-2007, 12:03 PM

You probably would have to change rooms when the new reservation kicks in. You can ask to stay in the same room but there would be no guarantee.

humble
04-25-2007, 12:36 PM
If you have patience and time I would suggest to do everything individually and you can save money.

1. First, wait for flight deals. Spirit air, etc., I got $8 + $8 roundtrip to LA.
2. Book hotel through priceline.com, I got $48 per night for 2 double bed 3* HolidayInn- Anaheim Resort by bidding.
3. Booked SeaWorld tickets with 30% off coupon
4. Got $15 off per ticket upto 6 coupon from ebay for universal
5. Booked Rental car using Hertz with AAA discount.

$142 + $278 + $158 + $180 + $190 = $790 for 4 adults and 1 1+ kid

I am not sure whether I can get this from a package deal...

Amneris
04-25-2007, 12:51 PM
find a travel agent that does price matching. we checked the Disney price, and then the AAA price. that came out to about 8% lower or something like that. then our local travel agent "beat" that price. that way you get the "big corporation" discount but still have a "human" to deal with! (although last time I looked, I couldn't find Disneyland on the AAA website so maybe they've stopped???)

however, I always find travel agents almost useless. I want to check all my reservations myself to make sure they're right, and I know more about where I'm going than they do! the times I've used travel agents, it's just been for the price break, not for any convenience. I much prefer handling my own bookings. but that's just psychotic little me! :fez:

PS - I can't believe I'll be in Disneyland in a little more than a week!!!!! :D :D I just hope I don't go nuts on the cross-country flight! :eek: (Last - and only other - time was o.k. though. sooo glad laptops and video iPods came into our lives! :rolleyes: )

Oh, back on the thread topic, BJs wholesale club also does Disney vacations. Their prices on Disney are only about a 10% off thing, but on last-minute cruises on the non-Disney lines (perish the thought! ;) ) they are like 50% off!! If you're retired or have flexible work schedules, I really recommend checking them out! Rooms with verandas for half price -- can't beat that! :cool: (Sorry for the commerical! I'm just still in a psyched-up I'm going to Disneyland mood! :p )