PDA

View Full Version : Great Family Debate

Foodie
03-15-2007, 07:55 PM
So this has been a debate in my family for years now, and I was hoping you all could help answer it once and for all.

Half of my family thinks that Tom Sawyer's Island is hotter than the rest of Disneyland. The other half thinks it's our imaginations. Have any of you ever noticed it feeling hotter on the island than the rest of the park? Or is it just my mind playing tricks on me? I always thought that because it's at the far end of the park, and the way the trees are positioned, there might not be the same sort of air flow that there is throughout the rest of the park.

I know the island isn't even open right now, and will probably be drastically changed by the time it reopens, but I still want to know the answer! Can you help? Thanks!! :D

-Foodie

screamin4ever
03-15-2007, 08:11 PM
It's possible that it feels hotter because it is surrounded by water so the humidity level is higher increasing the heat index. Just a guess.

crrees
03-15-2007, 08:19 PM
It's possible that it feels hotter because it is surrounded by water so the humidity level is higher increasing the heat index. Just a guess.

yup, living in south florida this is a constant "problem"

TribeFan
03-16-2007, 05:03 AM
There is also no AC out there. With the AC on in most (if not all) other inside locations, with the doors open, it seems cooler.

Katlovett
03-16-2007, 02:43 PM
Also, the water reflects the sunlight back up at you so even though it is shaded as much as the rest of Disneyland, it is probably brighter as well as more humid and not airconditioned.

Katprint

futurecm21
03-16-2007, 03:13 PM
Well, there are plenty of ways to explain why it could be more hot than the rest of the park, but I personally believe that it isn't any more unbearable than any other Frontierland location. I actually think that there are a lot of shady places that are cooler than any where else. And at the WDW Tom Sawyers Island, if the Aunt Pollys restaurant is open you can cool of with some delicious ice cream. But thats beside the point. I would say that its probably just a matter of opinion, and experience. If you visited TSI only on days when the temperature was already over 70 degrees I could see how it would be ridiculously hot.:), I however believe it isn't. IMO Autopia is the worst ride in terms of heat.
futurecm21

MrTomMorrow
03-16-2007, 06:06 PM
I always feel that Toontown is hotter than the rest of the park, but that's because I always end up there in the mid-afternoon and because there is so much open space and so few trees there...

The Evil Queen
03-17-2007, 08:07 AM
HOTTER! I agree...don't know why. Maybe because it is in the middle of the river with the sun beating down on it all day?

jcruise86
03-17-2007, 08:19 AM
The hills on TS Island reduce its elevational solar proximity, which increases it's temperature by approximately 3.7 degrees Fahrenheit; however this is offset by the shade trees which (when last measured in 2004) cover 39% of the island and reduce the average temperature by 1.3 degrees. So TS Island is 2.4 degrees warmer. The water has no effect.

jcruise86
03-17-2007, 08:26 AM
While on TS Island, park guests engage in less sedentary behavior than they do in the rest of the park. This increases circulation and body temperature, making the island feel warmer.

Foodie
03-17-2007, 10:09 AM
Thanks for all the responses so far! They're all really fascinating thoughts and I'll be sure to share them with my family the next time the debate starts up!! Thanks!
-Foodie:D

mariezp
03-18-2007, 12:42 PM
I have to agree it does seem hotter. I have thought that on several occasions. It is also one of the reasons we don't visit the island regularly! Maybe they will pipe in some ac to fix the temperature while they are doing all the work over there!

GORGON
03-19-2007, 10:40 PM
It seems hotter because when you are in any other part of the park there is something to take your mind off the heat but when your on that island there is no other place more boring with nothing to do so all you think about is the heat . Sorry that's the only place i usually skip when i'm at Disneyland. I hope they revamp it for the better. YAWN